hating the cooking/food fixing duties - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
hating the cooking/food fixing duties

I have mentioned this before but we are in a blended family. This makes meal prep extremely stressful for me. I am filled with a house of picky eaters/eater that like the exact opposite things. We end up eating the same few meals over and over again and it is driving me insane! To make matters worse i am gluten free/dairy free right now. I used to love, love to cook, but now dinner time just brings me anxiety. Even if it is a less healthy quick meal, somebody isn't going to like it. I mouthed off last night at my dp and said i am just going to serve ramen noodles for dinner every night because i am tired of not finding one meal i can feed everyone with someone complaining.

Breakfast has turned into only cereal and not the healthiest either because of 1) time and 2) picky eaters. I have one kid that claims to hate eggs even though she ate them for years.
2 kids refuse rice
2 kids refuse any fresh salads at all and now 1 refuses carrots
1 will not eat red meat
1 doesn't like macaroni, bread,
1 doesn't like cottage cheese
1 cannot stand any flavor on meat
1-2 hate pizza depending on the day/mood
1-2 hate hot dogs depending on the day
1 doesn't like bagels, cream cheese, sour cream etc
and then dp claims he isn't picky but he is! I cannot feed my kids many foods they are used to because he doesn't like them (ethnic foods etc) Or i have to cook for just me and my kids and he doesn't eat. It makes me feel so uncomfortable and horrible inside. My kids are half indian and i want them to be able to eat their ethnic foods sometimes but it always makes for issues in the kitchen.

I end up feeding them a lot of less than healthy options and it makes me feel like a failure

none of the kids are on restricted diets except ds who drinks almond milk, but has cheese and things still. He also was raised not to eat red meat or pork and i am not going to force him now after practically raising him vegetarian half his life.

How do i meal plan for this?

SAHM to DS 8, DSD 7, DD 4 and DSD 3. Happily in love with my Superman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-01-2015, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Our family had/has only one prepped meal each day: dinner. All other meals are help-yourself: cold cuts, meat salads (like tuna or ham), cheeses, raw veg & kimchi, crackers, veg juice, milk, hard boiled eggs, fruit. I do the food prep and checked the plates that my daughter made for herself, suggesting alternatives & portions to ensure a balanced diet. There are no unhealthy choices in the house, such as sugars, cereals, snackfoods, etc. so as long as the family eats from what is available I feel confident that it's adequate.

I see no reason why you should continue doing what you are doing. The more stress you feel over food the worse for you and your children. Food is often about control and a way for children to express their individuality. Find ways to make sure that food is about nutrition and sharing. Can your family together prepare an Indian meal once a week? Everyone plans & helps. Find commonality.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page