2Likes
  • 1 Post By philomom
  • 1 Post By momquestions

#1 of 11 Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
meal planning tips and tricks

How does everyone do it? I talked to someone who cooks for the entire week on Sunday, and then just freezes everything in tupperware containers.

Would love to hear your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I am following this one.

For my all my meals I usually make 2-3 days worth, but its hard when you are on time constraints
#3 of 11 Old 02-23-2016, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I make a menu plan on Saturday afternoon and shop for anything I may need. Then, I post the menu for the week on the fridge and it is color coded so each person in the family knows what they are responsible for on any given night. My kids have been pitching in to get meals on the table since they were about 12. They are old hats at starting stuff that I've prepped for them and then turning it off at the appointed time. Most nights I come home to meal that is mostly finished. I do meal prep at night when I'm setting up my breakfast smoothie and packing my lunch for work.
youngspiritmom likes this.

#4 of 11 Old 02-24-2016, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
I make a menu plan on Saturday afternoon and shop for anything I may need. Then, I post the menu for the week on the fridge and it is color coded so each person in the family knows what they are responsible for on any given night. My kids have been pitching in to get meals on the table since they were about 12. They are old hats at starting stuff that I've prepped for them and then turning it off at the appointed time. Most nights I come home to meal that is mostly finished. I do meal prep at night when I'm setting up my breakfast smoothie and packing my lunch for work.
That is amazing! Definitely something to aspire to.
ALİN01 likes this.
#5 of 11 Old 02-24-2016, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
we are similar here

In that when I am working and don't have a lot of time, I try to make food that will carry over as leftovers and occasionally get take out of the more budget friendly kind, like falafel and shawarma. So cooking every other day or cooking something super simple like breakfast for dinner. In theory my son should be old enough to cook, but he doesn't, although he can make KD or cook something from the freezer like frozen pizza. I do keep ready food in the house as much as possible in case I'm late coming home, then there is less stress.
#6 of 11 Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
My menu planning is also done toward the end of the week or on the weekend. It's more of a list than a plan for specific days, because I may not ultimately stick with particular nights for particular meals depending on what is going on that week. Sometimes I plan for 3-4 days, sometimes the whole week. I start by making a list of meals I have (most of) the ingredients for in the pantry or fridge/freezer, then add in other meals to fill out the plan. That is the basis for my grocery list to which I then add breakfast and lunch stuff (we eat a lot of leftovers for lunches, too). Planning is much quicker if you keep a list or set of index cards with your family's favorite meals or easy-to-make meals. Unless I find something quick and easy, I save new recipes for when I have more time than on a school/work night.

Most things I make only take about 30 min. to prepare, and a few things are on the menu pretty much every week, usually some kind of pasta & sauce/pasta bake and some kind of tacos/burritos/taco salad. The rice cooker and slow cooker are workhorses in my kitchen, particularly in the winter. I use the slow cooker to make curries, chili, and soup mostly, and also to cook beans from dried. When I make something in the slow cooker, I try to freeze half so I have another meal later. If there are significant amounts of other leftovers like rice or beans, I also freeze those for later rather than hope someone will eat all the leftovers.

Mom "D"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to DD1 "Z" (17)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#7 of 11 Old 02-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Administrator

These are so fantastic ideas
#8 of 11 Old 02-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Hello

I wanted to share this article, as it is related to this discussion

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ti...meal-planning/
#9 of 11 Old 03-23-2016, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do most of my meal planning and prep on the weekend, which helps out a lot during the week. The nights don't seem as stressed if we get home late. I also found this great book that helped me learn even more how to plan out meals that work together throughout the week to make things even easier. And the author included grocery lists, so on the weeks I go directly from the book most of my work is done. I love it!

The book is called Working Leftovers by Lila Marlene. It's super cheap and if you are a Kindle Unlimited subscriber it's free I found it on Amazon at
Amazon Amazon
#10 of 11 Old 04-26-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Working Leftovers sounds like a great book! I've been having issues figuring out what to eat on a daily basis, I've resorted to a lot of pasta but definitely getting tired of it. Sometimes I look at websites like Foodgawker etc., to get inspiration but then I haven't felt very inspired lately.
#11 of 11 Old 07-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
Philomom!! This is genius!! Now to make this work for me, my 7 year old, and 3 year old

Mothering my two little boys the best that I can!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page