sugar overload - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 09-07-2016, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
sugar overload

I have to admit we are eating way too much processed foods and sugar in general. It is getting way out of hand. My kids are actually doing pretty well health wise in spite of all the sugar but I am sure their immune systems would benefit from less.

I am having the hardest times in certain areas, snacks, breakfast and lunches to go or from the school cafeteria. I know a few ways to eliminate sugar but breakfast is probably my biggest area of concern. Besides eggs what else can they eat that isn't high in sugar? Even flavored yogurt is packed with sugar.

SAHM to DS 10, DSD 8, DD 5 and DSD 5 and waiting for 10/26
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 Happily in love with my Superman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-07-2016, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Breakfast is tough that way, especially if you're on the go. Do you mean sugar as in sugar or sugar as in processed starchy foods or even fruit, too? People really vary on their views of a healthy diet these days.

a few ideas:
- breakfast burritos or soft tacos
- cottage cheese and fruit
- bakery type fruit and nut breads
- toast with toppings (nut butter and banana, cream cheese and cucumbers, turkey and avocado, etc)
- make banana breads or muffins with much less sugar than called for. I usually halve the amount in the recipe
#3 of 7 Old 09-07-2016, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
There is nothing dictating that you MUST eat something sweet at any time during the day (except maybe low blood sugar or cravings). So eat whatever you like to eat. You should look up what people eat for breakfast around the world, it's pretty interesting. Most processed foods do tend to be sweet or salty or fatty (often all three) to sell better. I like eating smoked fish, garlic bread, pizza, avocado, dinner leftovers, big hunks of melon, tomatoes.....
#4 of 7 Old 09-07-2016, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Eggs, porridge, baked beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 7 Old 09-12-2016, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would check out Justin's snacks. They're this new type of "nut butter" that tastes absolutely AMAZING. They're healthy as well my family has been gobbling them up all week.

famadillo.com/justins-snacks/
#6 of 7 Old 09-13-2016, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I sometimes eat leftovers for breakfast and often have something like cottage cheese, peanut butter toast, avocado toast, cheese sandwich, potatoes (with or without eggs), hard-boiled eggs, apple and peanut butter etc. because I'm not much of a fan of the sweet breakfasts (except peanut butter, I guess :-) ).

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (16)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#7 of 7 Old 09-13-2016, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post
- breakfast burritos or soft tacos
Love this for breakfast!

Another idea is those mini-quiches in muffin tins - I've seen a lot of recipes on the Internet - or breakfast casseroles.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (16)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page