February Pantry Challenge... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
I slice or chop and freeze all these veggies in freezer bags when they are on sale:

zuchinni
squash
onion
green pepper
red peppers
celery
carrots

Then I can add a handful to a recipe whenever I need.

Do you blanch first? i've heard you should, but i've done it without blanching. Is that bad?

well, i had no internet yesterday. I was going to ask you all how i could make ataco bake out of black beans, corn, and stale taco shells. I ended up squishing the beans into the bottom of a dish. adding the corn and some taco seasoning, then a layer of soy cheese i had in the freezer, and finally the crushed shells. i baked at 350* for 30 mins. it was good! I realized i shoulda added some salsa, but we just put it on at the table. it did frustrate me that i didn't buy the plain yogurt i saw for 50c a tub. that would have made good "sour cream", but oh well.
#62 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana
Do you blanch first? i've heard you should, but i've done it without blanching. Is that bad?
I don't. :

OK, I have some whipping cream that expires today. Any ideas????
#63 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 03:56 PM

I read on another post somewhere that you can use it to make butter. Just put it in a mixer for 8-10 minutes and butter will form. I want to try this myself if I can find some organic cream. Good Luck!
#64 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 04:48 PM

I use trinity for soups, stew, rice, gumbo...

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#65 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogabug
I read on another post somewhere that you can use it to make butter. Just put it in a mixer for 8-10 minutes and butter will form. I want to try this myself if I can find some organic cream. Good Luck!
We sort of did this yesterday for St. Brigid's Day, but we put it in a glass jar with a marble and just shook the crap out of it. It was yuuuuuuummmmmmyyyy! With the little cream that's left I am going to make a pasta sauce with some parmasan cheese.

This really is inspiring, although I must admit I did make my monthly Amish-store run today. :

BUT I got a box of 30 organic fruit leathers for $2.79 (OK, two boxes!), 6 boxes of organic rice crackers for 69 cents each, and some organic cereal for $1.29.

I am hoping this thread will keep me out of the "real" store except for milk and stuff like that!

Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#66 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
This really is inspiring, although I must admit I did make my monthly Amish-store run today. :

BUT I got a box of 30 organic fruit leathers for $2.79 (OK, two boxes!), 6 boxes of organic rice crackers for 69 cents each, and some organic cereal for $1.29.

I am hoping this thread will keep me out of the "real" store except for milk and stuff like that!

Annette
These are great finds- but to really challenge yourself, use your amish stuff up before going and see how you do, its hard but we are here.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#67 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 06:39 PM

New here but wanted to join in

I have some organic vanilla yogurt that expires today and raw milk. I hate for it to waste away (the $$ an all). Any Ideas?

Can I freeze the yogurt and use it in smoothies??
DH wanted a taco salad but we have NO sour cream can I use one of these (milk or yogurt) for a sub??

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
#68 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 06:49 PM

nak

any ideas what i could use as a substitute for a can of coconut milk in a curry chicken recipe?
#69 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 06:59 PM

coconut milk? i dunno. i've never used coconut milk in a curry of any kind.

rice milk is pretty mild though.
#70 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 PM

thanks for the pralines recipes, btw...

looking forward to using my pecans
#71 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 07:09 PM

don't have any rice millk...i have coconut, and i have milk....
#72 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 07:25 PM

Ok, I need some ideas for using up 1/2 a can of mushrooms. I made a pizza the other night and put mushrooms on DH's half, 'cuz I won't eat 'em. Now, how do I use up the rest? I'm thinking of putting them in an omelet for him. Any other ideas?

I also have some millet and pearled barley. Can I just cook them and add them to a dish, like you would w/ rice?

The baked apples that I made the other day turned out great. I washed them and cut out the core, leaving apples w/ holes in them. I combined some chopped butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and chopped pecans, and stuffed that into the apples. I baked them in a small Pyrex dish for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. The stuffing mixture started to melt and come out the bottom of the apples, and then sizzle and splatter. So, I opened the oven and poured a little bit of water in the dish. In retrospect, I should've done that before I put the pan in the oven. (You know, I bet apple cider would be good instead of water!) I saved all the juicy drippings and have been adding it to flavor oatmeal for breakfast. Yum!
#73 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 07:51 PM

Nu Mommy - I would make smoothies with the yoghurt today and then freeze it, kinda like frozen yoghurt.
Jennisee - I bet you could just cook those grains and throw em into things when you need them. Although millet doesn't freeze the best imo.
Tonight we're having pasta with sauce and veggie crumbles that have been in the freezer forever and a green salad with roasted garlic dressing (we've got a ton o garlic)

Mama to 3:
#74 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosmom
Nu Mommy - I would make smoothies with the yoghurt today and then freeze it, kinda like frozen yoghurt.
Oh yeah, we freeze leftover smoothies in make-your-own-popsicle molds all the time.

nak
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#75 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 09:24 PM

Okay...I've had these in my pantry for over two years : Jasmine rice noodles (thicker...almost fettucinni thickness) and rice stick (super thin). I originally bought the thicker rice noodles to replicate some fried (but soft ) rice noodles from my long ago favorite take out place. I could never figure out what sauce they were using (brown...it would get crusted up on the noodles in places ) so I never opened the package. I'm willing to give up the dream of these fried noodles, but what else can I do? I have a large array of ingredients...except hoisin(?)...if I had that I would make the yummy peanut sauce I've seen floating around here. Any idea? Then the rice stick...goodness knows why I purchased these other than I love noodles and especially thin noodles, but I'm stumped with these. I (LOL and especially DH...he gets a little irate about food that we moved in summer 2004 and still haven't used : ) would be so thrilled to see these go to tasteful use!
#76 of 230 Old 02-03-2005, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosmom
Nu Mommy - I would make smoothies with the yoghurt today and then freeze it, kinda like frozen yoghurt...
Great Idea DS thought we had popscicles. But what to do with the Raw Milk???

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
#77 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu_Mommy_2003
Great Idea DS thought we had popscicles. But what to do with the Raw Milk???
Do you have any pudding mixes around? You could make pudding, and maybe even freeze some as pudding pops. Or you could make homemade pudding, but I'm not familiar w/ how to do that.

I know a lot of people who like rice w/ milk and sugar.

You could use it to make milk-based sauces like alfredo sauce or white gravy.

You could use it to thin cream cheese for a cold pie. Then add some cocoa for a chocolate pie, or lemonade for a lemon pie, etc. Then fold in some whipped cream or Cool Whip and spread in a graham cracker crust or already-baked pastry crust. Chill.

Ok, I know I'm really stretching it here.... :LOL
#78 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned

I participated in the Jan. thread but somehow missed the link to get over here. I thought, wow, all those people decided not to do this again???!! LOL

Anyway, by chance I finally happened over here. I loved the old thread so this is great!

We are going to the store today for some toddler essentials (bananas, milk, cheerios) and a couple of things DH wants (coffee, blueberry juice( but I'm keeping it to a minimum. I've actually had better luck sticking to my grocery delivery service. Despite the shipping (I get a discount though so sometimes I only pay 2.95) I save b/c it is all so planned out and I avoid impulse buys. And it is so great not to lug groceries and a toddler around in the snow!

I'll post more later...gotta read those meal ideas and get organized around here...
#79 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 02:12 PM

Can frozen bread dough (thawed of course!) be used as a pizza base?
Thanks!
Annette

#80 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Can frozen bread dough (thawed of course!) be used as a pizza base?
Thanks!
Annette
I would think that it would taste different and have a different texture than pizza dough, but I'll bet it would still taste good. I've made pizza on all kinds of bases--biscuits, French bread, English muffins.
#81 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 04:06 PM

OK, guys, I need some garlic ideas. I bought a BIG (think "quart-size") container of minced garlic at Costco a couple weeks ago for $3.50. I have no doubt that I'll get $3.50 worth of garlic out of it, but I want to try to use it all before it goes bad. We love garlic in this house, but I guess I'm just not feeling very creative right now. Here are my ideas so far. Please help me add more!

garlic bread
add to spaghetti sauce
garlic mashed potatoes
garlicky oven-roasted potatoes/other veggies
inject into roasts using flavor injector
add to meat marinades
#82 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
OK, guys, I need some garlic ideas. I bought a BIG (think "quart-size") container of minced garlic at Costco a couple weeks ago for $3.50. I have no doubt that I'll get $3.50 worth of garlic out of it, but I want to try to use it all before it goes bad. We love garlic in this house, but I guess I'm just not feeling very creative right now. Here are my ideas so far. Please help me add more!

garlic bread
add to spaghetti sauce
garlic mashed potatoes
add to meat marinades
You can mix some in with butter and you'll have soem garlic butter on hand for breads, potatoes, etc.
#83 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 04:36 PM

I garlic and use it in just about every meal. My favorite is sliced tomatoes (pretty thick), topped w/ garlic and basil. You brush them w/ a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, splash of balsamic vinegar if you're feeling festive. Top w/garlic and fresh basil and broil or grill for just a few minutes. Throw on some cheese (mozzarella and feta together are esp good) and broil til cheese is slightly brown/bubbly. I usually use about a teaspoon of garlic per slice.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#84 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee

garlic bread
add to spaghetti sauce
garlic mashed potatoes
add to meat marinades
FYI, I've had one of these jars FOREVER and it's still good. Just used it last night actually!
#85 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 08:15 PM

Well, the bread dough pizza was pretty good, although the crust was a little undercooked toward the center. Maybe I need to pre-bake it before adding toppings next time. Oh well- I have five more loaves and we have pizza every Friday night, so I have time to tweak it!
Annette

#86 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 08:33 PM

Annette marie- I make bread baggetts out of my pizza dough recipe and they turn out very yummy.

I sometimes cook the crust about 8 minutes before I add toppings. I also have a pizza stone that makes the crust every so cruncky perfect.

We make homemade pizza every friday night and have forever.

Would you like my pizza dough recipe? I know I posted it before but I can post it again.
Great Pizza Dough
3- 4 cups bread flour with 1 teaspoon salt mixed in
1 tablespoon yeast
1 cup water;
1/4 cup water lukewarm

In a metal bowl, pour the yeast on the bottom. Add the 1/4 cup of water lukewarm let sit about 5-8 minutes.
Add less than a cup of flour and some of the water and start mixing it. Keep adding equal parts flour and water and start kneading it in the bowl. Keep doing this until all of the flour and water are in. If too dry, add a bit more water, if too sticky wet, add more flour. Keep kneeding until a nice ball of dough. Transfer to a greased bowl and cover w a dishtowel and let rise 1-2 hours. Punch down and let rise again.

I have skipped rising and the dough is fine but not as smooth to deal with when rolling out. It also stays flat when cooking and is a thin pizza. But being from Chicago, we like a thick pizza here.

#87 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the pizza dough recipe, Amy! I was going to ask if anyone had a good one. We make pizza every Friday night too! It's a fun tradition in our house I've been buying the dough balls, but have been wanting to take a stab at making my own. Have you tried using whole wheat flour? What size pizza do you make? I use the Pampered Chef pizza stone...I think it's the large one, but I'm not sure! I hope it's okay to ask these questions on this thread...I'm very green...to Mothering.com and cooking, in general. I am addicted to this site

Melissa

~Melissa
#88 of 230 Old 02-04-2005, 11:16 PM

Welcome, Melissa!
#89 of 230 Old 02-05-2005, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melis
Thanks for the pizza dough recipe, Amy! I was going to ask if anyone had a good one. We make pizza every Friday night too! It's a fun tradition in our house I've been buying the dough balls, but have been wanting to take a stab at making my own. Have you tried using whole wheat flour? What size pizza do you make? I use the Pampered Chef pizza stone...I think it's the large one, but I'm not sure! I hope it's okay to ask these questions on this thread...I'm very green...to Mothering.com and cooking, in general. I am addicted to this site

Melissa
I have used wheat flour as well. Normally, I do a 1:1 ratio w wheat but you could try an all wheat recipe w the recipe I posted. I usually do 2 cups wheat and 2 cups white flour if we do a wheat pizza (which we do often).

My stone is from over 13 years ago at William Sonama. DH got it for me for a birthday present back in college. We made pizza there once a week for all our roomates. Of course then he was Dboyfriend! Every Wed was 90210 and Melrose night. We made homemade pizza for a crowd and watched the shows. I guess I'm dating myself w this post!

My stone is turned a very dark shade from being seasoned. My best friend sells pampered chef and her stone is the same one and its pretty good.

Welocme to MDC and don't worry about being green just ask away!

#90 of 230 Old 02-05-2005, 04:05 AM

On pizza!
Good recipe here
Gloria Reed pizza
Pizza crust( homemade of store bought)
drizzle olive oil on crust
minced garlic- spread on pizza
Fresh basil
Motz cheese
parm cheese if you have it
Follow cooking directions!
YUM!
You can also top with any topping you like.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page