February Pantry Challenge... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 230 Old 02-08-2005, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowbird
We've been eating out of the pantry since my last visit to store for produce etc. on Fri. Last night DS did stop to buy himself some roast beef for lunches, and a dozen eggs which I forgot to buy on Fri.

I finally made the Annies mac and cheese and DS and I have been having it for lunch. (The past two days.) He's decided that he likes it.

I have a grocery delivery order scheduled for Thur. It is about $115 but includes staples like olive oil, vanilla, etc. and meat. As well as just about everything else we need or are out of. I anticipate it will last 10 days or more. The delivery service really works for me. No squirmy DS in cart distracting me (although I love having him with me I find I have to rush and that means mistakes), I take my time and peek at my list everyday (the service saves all your lists so that you don't have to start from scratch every time) and add what I am out of or need. Then I go through it one last time the night before the delivery and cull anything I deem unnecessary. This keeps it JUST to what I really need and will use. And I do not get sucked in or distracted by sales or promotions or my sweet tooth in the store!
?
Do you use peapod or do you go thru the store itself?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#122 of 230 Old 02-08-2005, 07:12 PM

Last night I made crackers for the first time. They turned out allright, dc like em. They'll get better with practice.
I'm cooking a batch of kidney beans and a giant batch of wheat and rye berries right now. Once they're done I'm going to pull out some to eat this week and put the rest in the freezer. If I've already got the grain or bean cooked, it's much easier to pull the meal together.
Just came back from the grocery. Ds had a dr's appt today so we missed the farmer's market. Bought a ton of apples, they were on great sale, salt, coconut, oats, bananas, cheese, juice, applesauce, jam, bread, and rice and soy milk. Also some mac n' cheese, I know I shouldn't but dh asks me to, it's quick for him to make for dc. I also bought lunch there because we had been out since 8 am, and I figured we deserved it!
I've got to get a schedule going for making bread. I feel like I can't quite get one down.

Mama to 3:
#123 of 230 Old 02-08-2005, 11:40 PM

I'm behind on this thread due to a health problem but i hope you'll allow me to ask: what can i do with leftover evap. milk?

tia
#124 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 12:22 AM

Welcome, Mama Rana! All I can think of for the evaporated milk is using it and butter to make mashed potatoes. Maybe someone will have other ideas.

Supper tonight was "use up open packages in the freezer"--French fries, corn dogs for DH, fried chicken for me. We rounded it out with raw carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. I also have frozen meals thawing for the next several days:

Tomorrow night is "foo-foos." It's a recipe of DH's grandmother that is like hot dog chili w/o the hot dog, or like a finely ground sloppy Joe mixture. Any way, it's yummy. We usually eat it on hot dog buns, but we need to use up some whole wheat bread instead. I'll probably roast some potatoes in the crock pot, along w/ some raw veggies on the side and apples for dessert.

Thursday night is pizza made from Trader Joe's dough and sauce. Don't know sides yet.

Friday night is meatloaf.

Saturday breakfast is sausage gravy and biscuits. Lunch will probably be sandwiches, and supper is chili.

OH! Does anyone have a recipe for SOS? At least that's what people call it around here...it stands for Sh** On A Shingle. It's a white gravy w/ thinly sliced meat (almost like lunch meat) served on biscuits or bread. We have some Carl Buddig lunch meat that needs used up.
#125 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 07:08 AM

I couldn't resist popping in with my fav sweet potato recipe. It's really simple and yummy.

Grate sweet potatoes by hand or in food processor.
Heat a pan with sesame or other oil.
Add shredded sweet potatoes and fry.
Add soy sauce or tamari to taste when sweet potatoes are almost done.

Enjoy! :0)
#126 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone have a stew or soup idea for using up ground turkey?
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#127 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 11:33 AM

You could do taco soup:

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 large onion, chopped
3 cans ranch style beans
1 can corn, undrained
1 can tomato sauce (16 oz)
1 can chopped tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 c. water
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 envelope ranch style dressing mix

Brown meat and onions. Drain. Add rest of ingredients and simmer 15 minutes or longer. Freezes well.

May be topped with cheese, tortilla chips, salsa, sour cream, etc.
#128 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Sounds yummy, but I don't know what ranch style beans are, and we don't buy seasoning mixes...

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#129 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
Welcome, Mama Rana! All I can think of for the evaporated milk is using it and butter to make mashed potatoes. Maybe someone will have other ideas.

Supper tonight was "use up open packages in the freezer"--French fries, corn dogs for DH, fried chicken for me. We rounded it out with raw carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. I also have frozen meals thawing for the next several days:

Tomorrow night is "foo-foos." It's a recipe of DH's grandmother that is like hot dog chili w/o the hot dog, or like a finely ground sloppy Joe mixture. Any way, it's yummy. We usually eat it on hot dog buns, but we need to use up some whole wheat bread instead. I'll probably roast some potatoes in the crock pot, along w/ some raw veggies on the side and apples for dessert.

Thursday night is pizza made from Trader Joe's dough and sauce. Don't know sides yet.

Friday night is meatloaf.

Saturday breakfast is sausage gravy and biscuits. Lunch will probably be sandwiches, and supper is chili.

OH! Does anyone have a recipe for SOS? At least that's what people call it around here...it stands for Sh** On A Shingle. It's a white gravy w/ thinly sliced meat (almost like lunch meat) served on biscuits or bread. We have some Carl Buddig lunch meat that needs used up.

You go girl! What planning!

We call SOS Cream beef on toast. You just make up a white sauce and cook it along with the beef. Then serve on top of toast. Kind of like the sausage gravy.

How do you make fro fro- is there some sort of recipe?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#130 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
Do you use peapod or do you go thru the store itself?
Hi,

I use Peapod--they are the service the store (Stop and Shop) contracts with, I guess. I really like it. I use it fairly regularly, although there are times I LIKE to go to the store...but esp. in the winter and being preggo the service is great.

The only thing that kept me from using it for awhile was the holidays. There is inevitably one thing they will be out of, and when I was baking, cooking and getting ready to entertain it was just easier to go to the store and be sure I got everything I needed.

Mostly I love it b/c for me, it saves money.
#131 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Banned

Yay, I needed a night off. DH has a meeting and will eat out with colleagues; I will just make scrambled eggs or something for DS and me. I am thinking I'd love to do some sort of Mexican egg wrap thing....I don't know? Scramble the egg and just put it in the wrap with salsa, cheese, etc.? Any ideas on this?

Tomorrow a.m. will be homemade pancakes..it's going to be pouring here so I don't think DS and I will be going out. We'll relax and I can make a big batch to freeze.

Sandwiches for lunch, pizza for dinner...I'm picking up ideas here from you guys! Homemade pizza!

Probably scrounge and do leftovers on Fri. as we're going to visit MIL over the weekend.
#132 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowbird
Hi,

I use Peapod--they are the service the store (Stop and Shop) contracts with, I guess. I really like it. I use it fairly regularly, although there are times I LIKE to go to the store...but esp. in the winter and being preggo the service is great.

The only thing that kept me from using it for awhile was the holidays. There is inevitably one thing they will be out of, and when I was baking, cooking and getting ready to entertain it was just easier to go to the store and be sure I got everything I needed.

Mostly I love it b/c for me, it saves money.

Ok- I always remember stop & shop from their old signs. I saw this one time- the SHO of shop feel down in a storm and this was left:

Stop & p

:LOL

Peapod here used to be done with Jewel (Albertsons) but now I think its independent. My neighbor gets it as well.

Tonight- Since its Ash Wed, DH took tuna salad sandwich to work and I had it for lunch. We are having Salmon loaf for dinner tonight with roasted potaotes and lettuce salad. Tomorrow night is wild card night so we eat something out of the freezer.

#133 of 230 Old 02-09-2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:
You go girl! What planning!

We call SOS Cream beef on toast. You just make up a white sauce and cook it along with the beef. Then serve on top of toast. Kind of like the sausage gravy.

How do you make fro fro- is there some sort of recipe?
Well, it sounds like a lot of planning, but it's just really a matter of standing in front of the freezer going, "OK, this takes one day to thaw in the fridge, so we'll eat it tomorrow. This takes 2 days to thaw, so we'll have it Thursday. Etc." I am all about freezer cooking!

"Like the sausage gravy"....... Um, well, my mom made that from a Jimmy Dean's mix the last time she visited, and we have several Ziplocs of it in the freezer. : But I do know how to make a basic white sauce. I was just worried that there was something "extra" in the SOS recipe, but since there doesn't seem to be, I think I can whip something up pretty easily. Thanks!

I don't have the recipe for the foo-foos, but I can ask DH's grandmother for it. She sent us home w/ a container of it after a family gathering, and I just stuck it in the freezer.
#134 of 230 Old 02-10-2005, 12:31 AM

a basic white sauce is easy- My mom used to make one up and then dump the beef in. Or brown some of the beef, use the drippings to start her white sauce.

My salmon loaf was a real dog
its had too much bread crumbs in the recipe. Oh well, decent flavor and dh ate it but I did not.

#135 of 230 Old 02-10-2005, 01:09 PM

Here's what I do for basic white sauce: melt 3T butter(margarine,w/e), add 3T flour, let that cook a minute but keep stirring so it doesn't brown....slowly slowly whisk in 2 &1/2 C milk....Those are the basic proportions. I always have to double or triple it. It's a great base for S on a shingle, creamed tuna on toast(add peas to that), cream based soups, etc...hope that helps
#136 of 230 Old 02-10-2005, 01:28 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread...such great ideas! Here's what I've been doing to meet the Feb. Pantry Challenge:

- went through cabinets, fridge, freezer & made out meal plans using ONLY things that we had...came up with ~15 meals (with leftovers included)!!! (Needless to say the grocery bill for this week was only $23 - milk, bread, eggs, etc.

- Saturday, I made a large chicken pot pie & froze it...should make about four separate meals for DH...I'm not a fan of chicken... : Also, I made a homemade pizza that should give us three meals!! (Part of it was frozen to keep longer.)

- here are the remaining meals that I have done or that I have left to do:
breakfast for supper: biscuits, eggs, sausage
hamburgers - with wheat bread we use for sandwiches
spagetti
Manwich/Sloppy Joes
Chicken Teriaki & Rice
vegetable soup
chicken soup
meatloaf

I have a few other odds and ends that I'm trying to find a use for...extra pizza dough being one of them....hmmmmmm....
#137 of 230 Old 02-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok- I always remember stop & shop from their old signs. I saw this one time- the SHO of shop feel down in a storm and this was left:

Stop & p

:LOL

Peapod here used to be done with Jewel (Albertsons) but now I think its independent. My neighbor gets it as well.

I got my order last night and EVERYTHING came and it was a huge order. Yay!

I really love Stop and Shop. They have an awesome natural food section.

They have Albertson's where my MIL lives, I think....
#138 of 230 Old 02-10-2005, 05:47 PM

cloth4colin- you get the idea! I like your style!

I have about 15 meals ready to go in the freezer- they either are ready to be heated, baked or fried up.

Tonight its ravolis and meatballs. All from the freezer. For lunch I have 2 chicken mushroom lasagnas in the freezer ready to be baked. I took one out and made it and now I can divide it out for leftovers.

Another habit I picked up from the challenge- I have 2 10x10 pans. I now make two of whatever goes in the pan to bake. One goes in the oven for dinner, the other in the freezer for later. They are also perfect protions for us plus a lunch or 2 the next day.

#139 of 230 Old 02-11-2005, 12:58 AM

Wow...this is such an awesome thread! I've spent that past two days trying to read through the Jan thread and finally made it through this one today.

One of my big problems is that we have a TON of cereal in the pantry and no one here really eats it. We have shredded wheat, all bran, puffed rice, hemp granola plus and the whole foods market brand of cheerios.

I've thought about making some Granola and throwing in the puffed rice with that, and I could make a trail mix with the cheerios and some raisins, but I don't know what to do with the rest.

Do you think I could grind up the shredded wheat and all bran and replace some of the flour I use in baked goods with that?

I buy a lot of groceries from a buying club (which means everything comes in a case unless I can find someone to split it with me) and the things I don't want a case of I have to go to Whole Foods Market or Trader Joe's for (which is about a 40 min trip) so either way I tend to really stock up on stuff (and end up with a ton of stuff in my pantry and freezer). I am really looking forward to getting in to this and clearing some of this stuff out.
#140 of 230 Old 02-11-2005, 01:05 AM

Someone was asking for a brownie recipe awhile back. These don't taste like true brownies to me, more like chocolate zucchini bread, but they are really great for satisfying a chocolate craving. I tend to use canned pumpkin instead of the zucchini and all applesauce in place of the banana (just because these things are usually always in the pantry).

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

Mix in large bowl:

2 - 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup ripe mushed banana (about 1 medium, if I don't have enough I add applesauce)
1 T water
2 tsp vanilla

Mix separately:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup sugar (more if you like it sweeter)

Fold dry ingredients into wet, batter will be stiff. Bake in nonstick oblong brownie pan (mine I think is 7x13 or so) at 350º, 25-35 minutes til toothpick comes out clean (mine is always done in 25 minutes but I have a heavy pan that cooks fast).

This is where the recipe came from:
http://www.angelfire.com/journal/wwr.../chocolath.htm
#141 of 230 Old 02-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Another habit I picked up from the challenge- I have 2 10x10 pans. I now make two of whatever goes in the pan to bake. One goes in the oven for dinner, the other in the freezer for later. They are also perfect protions for us plus a lunch or 2 the next day.
What type of pans are they? Can you freeze in a casserole dish? Do you thaw first? I have a chest freezer now and would love to do this. I could buy disposable aluminum type but what else is there? I have to make BIG quantities, my kids are all huge eaters>sigh< I told dh I wish they were picky, it would save on our food bill.
For an example: shepards pie took 3 lbs hamburger, 3 can creamed corn and mashed tatos on top, baked in my 13x9" cake pan. It was devoured, no leftovers! Hey, there's a thread idea.....
#142 of 230 Old 02-11-2005, 12:03 PM

Hi Juliasmom,

You might want to start a thread just about what to do with your extra cereal. So people not on this thread can give you some ideas too.
#143 of 230 Old 02-11-2005, 12:30 PM

mamadege, you can freeze in your regualr baking dishes...just wrap with heavy duty foil. Defrost in the fridge.
#144 of 230 Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM

my 10 x 10 pans are regular baking pans. I stick them in the freezer all the time. I also have regular 13 x 9 pans as well as loaf pans and round pans.

Its nice to have kids that eat since you don't have to spend more money for picky eaters that will not eat but I can see the frustration.

I was a picky eater when I was very young but I grew out of it. DD and DH are not picky eaters- she will try anything once. I guess bfed children do that since they are used to meals being different everytime.

Today DH is home and he made me oat meal with apples, brown sugar, and walnuts on top. Delivered to me with the paper in bed- very yummy but very filling since its oatmeal.

#145 of 230 Old 02-13-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmum

One of my big problems is that we have a TON of cereal in the pantry and no one here really eats it. We have shredded wheat, all bran, puffed rice, hemp granola plus and the whole foods market brand of cheerios.

I've thought about making some Granola and throwing in the puffed rice with that, and I could make a trail mix with the cheerios and some raisins, but I don't know what to do with the rest.
I would use the shredded wheat and the all bran in muffins. And I would just add the hemp granola to your homemade granola. I'll try to find a recipe for the muffins if you'd like.

Mama to 3:
#146 of 230 Old 02-13-2005, 05:39 PM

I went on a cleaning spree yesterday and just went ahead and crumbed up all the cereal in the food processor, so now I have a large ziplock bag full of crumbs and space in my pantry where 6 cereal boxes used to be (yay!!)

I replaced 1/4 of the flour in my brownie recipe with the cereal crumbs and can't taste a difference in the brownies I made today. I'm going to start mixing some of it in with our oatmeal in the morning as well.

And from the consistency of it, I think I could add some sugar and make a nice crumb crust for some desserts from it.

This thread is definitely inspiring.
#147 of 230 Old 02-14-2005, 02:32 AM

This thread is great! I will be following it closely. We are on a very tight budget and I am always looking for good ideas on using the food we have on hand.
#148 of 230 Old 02-14-2005, 12:26 PM

So, what can I do with the pack of spring rolls I found?

Also, I have about 5 pounds of chicken thighs I have to do something with today, but in the crock pot, cause they are frozen- any ideas?

#149 of 230 Old 02-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Annettemarie,

I like to make greek chicken and rice. All you do is put the meat in the crock, put in about 2 cans of whole tomatoes, brown some onions throw those in, a little olive oil, some salt and pepper, a little water, a little oregano. Let it simmer all day and serve over rice. Before you serve it, try to get out all the bones.
#150 of 230 Old 02-14-2005, 03:17 PM

That sounds yummy! I already threw them in with some BBQ Sauce but I will remember this for next time!
Annette

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page