February Pantry Challenge... - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 230 Old 02-22-2005, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose
Anyone have a recipe that uses turkey burger? I got some cause I'm trying to transition us off beef, but honestly neither of us care for the taste of it on it's own. So burgers, meatloaf, and stuff like that is out. The only thing I could come up with is goulash.

I've got most of the staples - most types of canned tomatoes, sauce, bunch of canned beans.

TIA!
Turkey chili tastes exactly the same as beef to us. I use ground turkey, canned tomatoes, and chili spices. You can season to taste or use a packet premade (is that a reason for : on this thread? we have an awful lot of those chili packets hanging out in our pantry)

I also use ground turkey for tacos but DH says he can taste it. Less saucy I guess.
#212 of 230 Old 02-22-2005, 11:42 PM

I don't care for turkey burgers, but ground turkey is tasty in meatballs. I think I put up that recipe somewhere along the line.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#213 of 230 Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 PM

I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned but someone on page 1 or 2 (isosmom?) was looking to use up some dates. I like to cut them open, put in some peanut butter, and roll the whole thing in sugar. They are very tasty this way and are especially good if they are nice and moist, not all dried out. My 9yo would never touch a plain date but she loves them this way...they seem so much like candy.

I've been cleaning out my pantry tonight because I went grocery shopping last night and had forgotten my list, and ended up buying some duplicates of stuff I already have. I've enjoyed reading everyone's ideas! I may post later and ask for some ideas with a couple of things...
#214 of 230 Old 02-23-2005, 12:05 AM

Those sound delicious pajamamama, methinks the kitchen is calling me.
We were out most of the day so we ended up going out for burritos on our way home, around 2:30, so that was kind of our late lunch early dinner thing. Dd has her leftovers for dinner.
I've got some cooked thin rice noodles I was thinking of pan frying for dinner tommorow. Does anyone know how to make them a little crispy without deep frying?

Mama to 3:
#215 of 230 Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 PM

Today I made soup in my crock pot out of a bunch of stuff in my pantry. In the soup: 4 fresh carrots, 8 celery stalks, and half an onion, all chopped. About 1/2-3/4c each of the following: dried kidney beans, dried split peas, dried navy beans. Maybe 1/4c chopped fine sun dried tomatoes. Various italian herbs. 1 14oz can corn, drained, and 1 14oz can diced tomatoes, not drained. 5c vegetable stock and 3c water. Salt and pepper. About 1hour before serving I put in about a cup of leftover small dried bowtie pasta. The soup was DELICIOUS but the consensus was, more pasta would have been better!

I love the idea of using up food that I already have and I definitely see more soup in my future.

What can I make with 3 bags of dried cranberries? They are the Craisin type but not the flavored ones. I also have an indecent amount of Jell-O on hand. Any ideas?
#216 of 230 Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 PM

You could use the dried cranberries in granola, that's what I'd do with them. Or other baked goods, cookies and whatnot.
No ideas for the jello, sorry.

Mama to 3:
#217 of 230 Old 02-24-2005, 12:21 AM

Tonight was wildcard freezer night. Swedish meatballs already premade up. I just brown them and I freezed leftover gravy for them so that part was done. Then I took a few potatoes and quartered them and baked them. All in all a great meal. I also baked some baggettes today. We had some at dinner and I froze the others. I did the dough this morning and let it rise and punch down twice all day.

I need to take a freezer inventory and get ready to feed the freezer again. But as my friend over today said- your pantry looks fresh and good!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#218 of 230 Old 02-24-2005, 12:08 PM

Dried cranberry recipe:
Oven Barley Risotto with Dried Cranberries & Parsley

Serves 12 People

2 - cups pearled barley
6 - cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 - large yellow onion peeled
4 - cloves garlic chopped
2 - tablespoons butter
2 - tablespoons olive oil
½ - cup dry vermouth
1 - cup dried cranberries
1 - bunch finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
½ - cup toasted chopped pecans

Bring the stock to a boil and hold on a low simmer. Melt the butter & oil in a large sauté pan, sauté the onion & garlic for a few minutes, add the barley & stir to evenly coat all the grains. Add the vermouth and cook for several minutes over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated. Scrape the barley into a large 8-cup casserole dish, top with the hot stock, cover with foil & bake Convection 350 for 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven & carefully remove the foil to avoid being burnt by the steam. Let the barley settle for a few minutes, season with salt & pepper & gently stir in the parsley & cranberries with a metal fork. Garnish with the toasted nuts.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#219 of 230 Old 02-24-2005, 12:10 PM

I have a bag of tapioca pearls I got at the asian food market months ago that has been sitting in my pantry. Any non dessert ideas?

#220 of 230 Old 02-24-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama
I have a bag of tapioca pearls I got at the asian food market months ago that has been sitting in my pantry. Any non dessert ideas?
How about some Bubble Tea?

Bubble Tea recipe

You can also prepare the pearls as listed above and throw them into a smoothie (instead of tea) - that's my favorite.
#221 of 230 Old 02-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Banned

I have a few heels of bread and stale odds and ends in a freezer bag. Once i get enough, exactly how do you make bread crumbs? Anyone have a recipe? Thanks!
#222 of 230 Old 02-25-2005, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowbird
I have a few heels of bread and stale odds and ends in a freezer bag. Once i get enough, exactly how do you make bread crumbs? Anyone have a recipe? Thanks!
I dry the bread in the oven set on 170 degrees then I just used a cheese grater to make crumbs. I season them when it's time to use them depending on the flavoring I'm looking for, whether it's basil/oregano/salt/pepper for something italian or with seasoned salt/pepper/garlic/onion/parsley for baked chicken. Wish I had a recipe for you... I just wing it.

I've also saved heels and random leftovers (I bake bread often and we sometimes have as much as half a loaf that doesn't get eaten) for making stuffing. I slice the bread into cubes and freeze it to keep it from molding. WHen I'm ready for stuffing, I saute onions and celery in butter, add in a bit of chicken broth, garlic, pepper, etc, then toss in the bread. The bette crocker cookbook has a 'recipe' (basically how much liquid to bread) and I'll try to find that when I get a chance.
#223 of 230 Old 02-25-2005, 02:32 AM

Tonight for dinner I made Alu Matar. Here's the recipe: In the blender, 2 chopped medium onions, 1T grated ginger, and 2 cloves of garlic. Blend til liquefied. In a big skillet, heat about 2T of vegetable oil, and brown a T of cumin. Add 1//2 tsp of tumeric and pour the blended onion mixture into the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes on med-high until some of the liquid cooks off. Then add a can of diced tomatos, a can of drained peas, and a can of drained white potatos. If the canned potatos are whole cut them into bite size pieces first. You can also add a dash or more of cayenne pepper at this point if you like your food spicy. Cook this all in the skillet on medium until the rice you're making is finished. (Did I mention that you should start some rice while the onions are cooking off?) When it's all done, stir a 1/2tsp of garam masala into the veg mix if you have some, before serving it all over the rice. This is sooo delicious and filling, and uses up lots of canned stuff in your pantry. It also makes enough for lunch the next day too.

Now I have used up all my rice except some arborio that I have. Also, the canned potatos are gone, though I have about 2lbs of fresh potatos hanging around. Maybe there is a risotto in my future? I have a recipe for a really delicious corn risotto that I might make this weekend, since I have 4 more cans of corn to use up!

I'm really enjoying the pantry challenge. Still no ideas on what to do with my jell-o though!
#224 of 230 Old 02-25-2005, 09:30 AM

pajamamama- Here's a website with tons of jello recipes
http://members.amaonline.com/nrogers/Kitchen/jello.htm

#225 of 230 Old 02-25-2005, 10:57 AM

For Bread crumbs- I usually let the bread get stale in the bag by leaving it out for a day or so. Then I cut them up into smaller pieces/slices and grind them in the food processor. You can add a dash of garlic salt or any other spices to jazz them up if you like. Then store as you normally would. Thats it.

I was kind of bummed because yesterday we had to do a major grocery shopping. We are out of anything fresh plus low on basic staples. We still have a 1/2 dozen meals frozen but its also time to do a freezer feed. My DH reminded me that even though its under Feb, it will lower our total in March and instead of monthly, look at the big picture. He also said look at how healthy we have eaten and also we have done no take out etc in weeks. I'm glad I got him on the bandwagon so now its no longer a challenge but a habit- thanks!

Also I am making baked mannicotti tonight. I also bought a small package of sausage to add to them. I am making one tray meatless (lent) for tonight and the other will have sausage for another night in the near future. DH is making breaded chicken cutlets on Sunday and we will make up a chicken parmigian for the freezer as well.

#226 of 230 Old 02-25-2005, 10:19 PM

Tonight is couscous from the pantry (still trying to use up all those grains!) with chickpeas from the freezer, canned tomato sauce and carrots.
We also made tortellini with peas and tomato sauce a few nights ago.
Pajamamama- your meal sounds delish.
I'm due for a shop, but will most likely put it off until Monday or Tuesday. Dh might go to the farmer's market tommorow with dc if it doesn't rain.

Mama to 3:
#227 of 230 Old 02-25-2005, 10:52 PM

Coming out of lurk-dom : I gleefully watched your January pantry challenge and am now just reviewing your Feb challenge. You all have been inspiration to me and I must admit that my pantry and freezer has been slowing disappearing over the two months. What I wanted to ask was what is garam masalsa? I liked the recipe, but don't know what this ingredient is (therefore it isn't in my pantry ), but I wondered what it added to the dish? To all you frugal mamas, keep up the good work!
#228 of 230 Old 02-27-2005, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaO
What I wanted to ask was what is garam masalsa? I liked the recipe, but don't know what this ingredient is (therefore it isn't in my pantry ), but I wondered what it added to the dish?
It is an Indian spice mix. You can buy it made already, or make it yourself.
http://www.ochef.com/r75.htm
#229 of 230 Old 02-27-2005, 12:20 AM

Garam Masala is a spice mix...different regions of India have different versions of it, but the one I use is a mix of coriander, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, and cumin. I think that adding a scant quarter teaspoon of cinnamon, cardamom and coriander (all ground) would have the same effect as the garam masala, since there is already cumin in the recipe and you can add black pepper to taste.

It really makes home made Indian food taste authentic, in my opinion.
#230 of 230 Old 03-01-2005, 05:08 PM

See you at the Ma rch challenge!?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page