NT task thread... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 117 Old 02-15-2005, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hidden Life
Tuesday: drive to natural foods store and buy bottled kombucha for the week (*Need to finally take the plunge and order a starter, as I've gotten my husband hooked on this too and it's now a $30 a week habit!*)
LeeAnn, did you know that you can grow your own mushroom from the sediment in bottled kombucha? I read about this somewhere (on this board, I think), and decided to give it a try. It took a couple of days for a big friendly mushroom to form, but then we had an endless supply of almost-free kombucha, with no shipping cost.

You just follow the normal directions, but substitute about 1/2 cup of bottled kombucha for the mushroom. I used G.T.'s Kombucha from Whole Foods, but I think any unpasteurized brand with "gunk" floating in it would work.
#62 of 117 Old 02-16-2005, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Stock in on as we speak and my yougurt and yougurt cheese are done for the week, crispy nuts are done and craut is started.

All that is left for me is to

1) Change over kefirs
2) place grain order
3) make chicken rice soup

Yipee!
#63 of 117 Old 02-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Today I have a batch of sourdough-potato bread rising. I started it last night. I just have to check on my pickles and krauts, and then do some menu planning for the rest of the week and make a grocery list.

I haven't seen in anyone's posts anything about making wine/beer/cider/etc. Has anyone got a batch of booze brewing? I think I might try making some mead or cider. I love a good glass of wine. Would like to know what recipes have worked for others.
#64 of 117 Old 02-16-2005, 06:05 PM

I made crispy almonds by drying them behind the wood stove. It took two days – though the air is very dry, the temperature doesn’t stay consistently high, particularly through the night.

Tended the kefir and the orange drink. Put on some yogurt this morning.

I made the “Orange Cake” recipe from NT – it’s now brewing for another day. The big taste test will be tomorrow on my 36th birthday. So far it looks really cool and smells like honey. It’s basically a pound cake with soaked flour (so more of a sourdough). After baking for over two hours (!) and cooling, you put a honey-orange juice-lemon juice-brandy sauce over it and let it sit for 1-2 days. It will probably sit for about 36 hours before we dig in.

Leftovers for dinner, thank goodness.

Hibou – we haven’t brewed our own hooch yet, but my husband just came back with a big container of honey for honey wine. So he’s got plans, but we’ll see when it actually gets made.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#65 of 117 Old 02-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Off topic
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GALE FORCE !!!
May it be your happiest yet.

Its so neat watching ladies here grow.

Peace
Colleen
#66 of 117 Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intentfulady
Off topic
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GALE FORCE !!!
May it be your happiest yet.

Awww. Thank you!

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#67 of 117 Old 02-17-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
I haven't seen in anyone's posts anything about making wine/beer/cider/etc. Has anyone got a batch of booze brewing? I think I might try making some mead or cider. I love a good glass of wine. Would like to know what recipes have worked for others.
I posted a couple mead recipes I've used:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...73#post2693773

Mandy
#68 of 117 Old 02-17-2005, 04:26 PM

Thanks Mandy!
#69 of 117 Old 02-17-2005, 05:15 PM

Well, today I have to:
reduce stock (too watery, didn't set properly)
feed sourdough starter

and

play with my new KitchenAid mixer

I also have a lot of sewing/cutting/etc to do, but dh is working until 10 again tonight :/ so I don't know how much I'm going to be able to do *sigh*
#70 of 117 Old 02-19-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
play with my new KitchenAid mixer
woohoo!!! KitchenAid is the best!

Let's see. My mom, husband, and I whipped out lunch and dinner this morning in under an hour. We've got a crockpot full of lamb for dinner and will have some bones for broth later. We'll add a salad from the garden or some leftover bokchoy from last night. Lunch is shoulder steak cut about 1/8 inch think rolled up around onions, bell peppers, and cheese. The steak is dressed in mustard first. It's my mom's own spin-off of the German "roladen" dish. It's also got some chili powder on top and will be swimming in enchilada sauce by the time we're done. Mmmm. It's not 100% NT, but I can smell it now and just thought I'd brag.

#71 of 117 Old 02-19-2005, 10:25 PM

We got a kitchenaid mixer for our wedding and haven't used it nearly enough to justify the cost :, so maybe you guys can give me some ideas of what to do with it. NT-type recipes would be great!

I made my first kefir smoothie today using kefired coconut milk, oj, blueberries, and banana. Mmmm it was berry nice! Also got together with a friend and made some kimchi using the recipe from Wild Fermentation. I put some soaked pecans in the oven to dry. I really want to make the Christmas pecans- I've been craving something sweet now and then.

Gale Force, that rouladen sounds so good!
I think I better go eat something....
#72 of 117 Old 02-19-2005, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Lets see, today was market day so tonight once I get off here I will....

-make youghurt
-make youghurt cheese
-soak flour for pancakes in the am

I got some elk bones at the market for stock this week. Should be interesting!

#73 of 117 Old 02-22-2005, 05:39 PM

Well, I just cleaned out my deepfreeze this morning; I find it's always amazing how much food can be hiding in there! So now I'm just doing some meal planning for the rest of the week. I was so excited to find a couple big bags of garden tomatoes- I just finished up the last of my canned ones this week, so now I can make some fresh sauce and can or freeze it to get us through a couple more months. I also found a bison roast, so I can make some more jerky. I found a few things that I'd prepared double batches of and frozen- so that will make for some easy meals.
#74 of 117 Old 02-22-2005, 05:45 PM

Forgot to add- I was looking into local prices today for natural chicken and found that I can get a bag of chicken soup bones for $1, and also 1 lb. of chicken hearts or livers for $2! (So guess what's going into meatballs :LOL...I guess that kitchenaid meat grinder attachment will come in handy afterall!)
#75 of 117 Old 02-22-2005, 06:03 PM

Oooh, where? At the co-op? Don't forget if you catch the justbeef guy at the farmer's market at the end of the day, you can get a whole beef liver for $2.

I have to:
-start some yogurt dough for cookie experiment
-soak some lentils (also for cookies)
-make my potassium broth
-start potatoes&wheat soaking for NT lefse experiment

Hopefully I can get it all done - my bowl is stuck to my kitchenaid mixer and I won't be able to get it off until dh gets home.

Hey, look, new smileys!
#76 of 117 Old 02-22-2005, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

This is what I have done:
Made four fantastic loaves of sourdough bread...so good
Turned my 4 litres of milk into tzakiti, youghurt, and whey
Changed all my kefirs over

What I need to do:
Make elk stock
make carob sunflower brownies

Doing good on the food prep.
#77 of 117 Old 02-23-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
Oooh, where? At the co-op? Don't forget if you catch the justbeef guy at the farmer's market at the end of the day, you can get a whole beef liver for $2.
Pine View has the chicken bones and organ meats- they are out of town but if you make the trip out, you'll save some $$$. We go north to visit my folks quite a bit, so it's sort of on the way. My mom didn't have chickens this year, so I think I'll buy a few roasters from them.

What have you used the beef liver for? Just looking for ideas. Liver is the one food I just can't eat "straight up". I would have to do *something* with it!

Well, my jerky is in the dehydrator today. I'm cooking down my tomato sauce. Not much else. Soup from frozen stock today for supper, so that's pretty easy.
#78 of 117 Old 02-23-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
What have you used the beef liver for? Just looking for ideas. Liver is the one food I just can't eat "straight up". I would have to do *something* with it!
So far liver and onions. We also made the liver dumpling soup and I really like it, but if you don't like liver you may not. Have you tried the NT Liver and Onions recipe? I always hated liver and so did dh until we made it like that - now we love it! You can easily break up liver in a food processor or blender and add it to ground beef for meatloaf, tacos or whatever.

Today I have:
-changed over kefir
I have to:
-Divide sourdough bread into loaves to let rise
-Grind soaked lentils
-mix cookie dough and bake cookies
-make almond butter
-make Macaroons
Tonight:
-make tomorrow's breakfast smoothies

And can I just say how sick I am of doing taxes and where does the stupid RPP contribution go anyway?! ARGH Is it an RRSP - cuz I don't know!??!! I have to see what I did last year.
#79 of 117 Old 02-23-2005, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Off topic a lot: HerthElde: Are you a Pantera fan?

Today I will:
Start a Sauercraut
Change my water kefir
make soup from last weeks chicken stock(tiny freezer here)
Hopefully have time for sunflower brownies

Tomorrow:
Change over juice kefir
Start a new sourdough starter
Pick up some almonds for crispy nuts
#80 of 117 Old 02-23-2005, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Off topic a lot: HerthElde: Are you a Pantera fan?
Also OT - OMG YES - Did you hear about Dimebag Darrell?!!!! Lotta crazies in the world
#81 of 117 Old 02-23-2005, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it was a sad sad sad day.

Are you a Kyuss fan too?
#82 of 117 Old 02-23-2005, 10:27 PM

OK GOTTA ASK...ARE THE CAROB SUNFLOWER BROWNIES THE NT BROWNIES, SUBSTITUTING SUNFLOWER SEEDS FOR PECANS?

oops caps

LIVER?.......Chopped liver.an old Jewish standby. Add a hard boiled egg or two, onion, some mayo, salt and pepper?

Tons of recipes on line, I think it's delicious.
#83 of 117 Old 02-24-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Yes it was a sad sad sad day.

Are you a Kyuss fan too?

I'm actually not that familiar with them - I'm sure I've heard and liked them, but I wouldn't be able to identify any of their stuff. I am sooooo out of touch with music now. I used to be very into it - but I guess life gets in the way sometimes I'm still kinda stuck in the 90s I guess. I like older STP (familiar up to Tiny Music), old Metallica (basically up to around Justice, but I will listen to their newer stuff if it's on, even though my brothers think I'm a wuss for listening to Whiskey in the Jar), old Megadeth (up to Rust in Peace), Alice in Chains (Layne was my god - oh how I loved that man ), Linkin Park, Headstones (Hugh Dylan slapped me on the behind a couple years ago ), Our Lady Peace . . . and the list goes on like that. Dd of course likes heavier stuff too - I think I taught her how to headbang a couple weeks ago - Seven Nation Army by the Whitestripes was on and she was boppin' along. Too cute
#84 of 117 Old 02-24-2005, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

We have alot in common HerthElde!

Intentfulady the brownies are the sunflower brownies in the NT book and I switch it around alittle by adding beepollen, spirulina, molasses instead of succanat and sometimes pecans or walnuts but not all the time.

I made the most amazing mayo yesterday. I deem it asian mayo. I added the hot musturd I made and a little sesame oil and used hempoil instead of olive and its soooo thick and creamy its so lovely!

Today is kefir changing day and thats it.
#85 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 12:47 AM

It's been quiet here lately. What's everyone up to?

I got some raw goat milk from a friend, so I started some milk kefir. I picked up some yogurt starter today from the hfs, so I will have to start that tomorrow. I will try these and see if my little guy can tolerate them. If not, I'll be off dairy completely until he gets older, so keep your fingers crossed for us! (I sooo miss dairy). I am making another batch of kimchi tomorrow. I am so hooked on it- I've been eating it straight out of the jar.
I'm cooking my last organic chicken tomorrow for supper, so that will keep us in meals and stock for a little while longer. I also have some almonds soaking. I keep eating the nuts before I get a chance to make the "holiday" nuts recipe.

I had to return NT to the library a couple days ago, so I am going to see how well I do without it before I decide to buy it. I only want to buy it so that I can lend it out- I have several friends who are really interested in traditional foods now that I have been talking about it.
#86 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Hibou, fingers crossed. I have been on a rythym with my tasks.

Where are you in Canada?

I made elk stock yesterday. I highly, highly recommend find elk bones for stock.

It is dark like molasses and so thick I could cut shapes in it. And when it was cooking I really felt the wapiti spirit be present with us. Sound odd probably, but it felt very very traditional and regional.

#87 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 01:33 AM

Wish I could say I’m SO busy cooking NT foods that I don’t have time to post.

Too busy with work and a kitchen remodel.

There’s nothing to eat around here! I’ll have to cook tomorrow. :

OK, I tended to kefir. Otherwise, I survived on an omelet, leftover stew, a kefir smoothie, coffee : , and surely a snack or two that’s escaped me.

Anyone have a good pancake recipe, particularly with spelt flour? We've wanted to start a weekly pancake affair in exchange for being super-duper good at staying away from grains all week long. And Sunday is my due date, so I thought it might be nice to start a new tradition on what is likely to be a real crummy day.

#88 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 01:35 AM

Oh, but the stew did have a real super, gelatinous lamb broth in it.

#89 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

I use the pancake recipe in the NT book and just use soaked spelt (soaked in buttermilk or yougurt). It has always worked for me. Then I make extra and dry them for crackers. We do it once a week, usually on Sundays. After I have made the amount for the breakfast I add spices for the crackers and make smaller diameter ones.
#90 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am beginning small, with alfalfa sprouts.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page