NT task thread... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Hey Hibou, fingers crossed. I have been on a rythym with my tasks.

Where are you in Canada?

I made elk stock yesterday. I highly, highly recommend find elk bones for stock.

It is dark like molasses and so thick I could cut shapes in it. And when it was cooking I really felt the wapiti spirit be present with us. Sound odd probably, but it felt very very traditional and regional.

I'm in Saskatoon, SK. And you?
You've inspired me to get some elk bones. There's an elk farmer at the farmer's market. Next time we go, I'll have to go and see what he has. I get so much free beef from my parents that I rarely buy any red meat, but your stock sounds mighty good.

Anyways, I found a little extra energy last night and started the yogurt. I wrapped the warm jars in towels and set them in a casserole dish in the oven with the light on. I checked this morning and it turned out lovely. Unfortunately, I unknowingly ate a muffin yesterday that had dairy in it so I have to wait a couple days to see if ds reacts to that before I try my cultured goat milk products . I hope they keep. I'm pretty sure the yogurt will, but I'm not sure about the kefir. How long can I leave it?

Oh, I also made a big batch of sourdough waffles for breakfast this morning. Ds loves them and they always turn out so nice. I posted the recipe in the sourdough thread in Good Eating, if anyone's interested.

I better go get some work done while baby is napping.
#92 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I am in Calgary. Those sourdough pancakes sound deelish!

#93 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Thanks mountain mom and Hibou. I will look into those recipes.

And I can now report that I am drying seven pounds of almonds by my woodstove right now. We really don't do anything small around here.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#94 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Then I make extra and dry them for crackers. After I have made the amount for the breakfast I add spices for the crackers and make smaller diameter ones.
How thin do they end up being? Do you water the dough down for crackers?

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#95 of 117 Old 03-02-2005, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I ask a question?

My sprouts' directions say to lay it on a side on an angle everyday so they drain. This is sort of awkward- how necessary is it?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#96 of 117 Old 03-03-2005, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Can I ask a question?

My sprouts' directions say to lay it on a side on an angle everyday so they drain. This is sort of awkward- how necessary is it?
I don't think it matters that much, as long as you make sure to rinse them at least once a day. Happy sprouting!
#97 of 117 Old 03-03-2005, 08:52 AM

catching up here, hi and Welcome new ladies.

Wapiti? Is that Native for Elk? What language?

Wow those brownies sound yummy!

And Gale Force...........Your Due Date? You have been accomplishing this and Pregnant?
Sending you some good vibes!!!
#98 of 117 Old 03-03-2005, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intentfulady
And Gale Force...........Your Due Date? You have been accomplishing this and Pregnant?
Sending you some good vibes!!!
Thank you so much! But, sadly, no, I'm not pregnant. I miscarried in August at about 9 weeks and I was due March 6th. WE've planned to start a Sunday tradition of some sort and I decided that this would be a good Sunday. I'm not sure my family realizes the significance and I'm not sure I'm going to tell them. I'll see how I feel.

#99 of 117 Old 03-04-2005, 12:55 PM

Today is bread day. I am just making my regular recipe, but I usually let it rise for 7-8 hours so that it has a chance to break down a little. My family still likes nice light loaves for toast and sandwiches.
I need to soak some legumes today. I think ds and I should be eating some type of dahl every day for lunch. I sure notice a difference in my energy now that I have been doing traditional foods for a few weeks. I didn't have enough protein early in the week, and I've been dragging my butt!
I have to tend to the goat milk kefir- I think I will try it today in a smoothie.

My non-NT tasks are to go for a walk with the kids (the weather's been beautiful here!) to the post office, and get some laundry and housecleaning done so that we don't have to do housework all weekend.

Amanda, those "secret anniversaries of the heart" can be so hard. Hope you can find some quiet time for yourself.
#100 of 117 Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
Today is bread day. I am just making my regular recipe, but I usually let it rise for 7-8 hours so that it has a chance to break down a little. My family still likes nice light loaves for toast and sandwiches.
This is basically what I did last time I made bread. I let the first loaf rise only 3 times (we were out of bread), but I let the other 2 (3 loaves does us for the week) rise 5 times. It doesn't make me feel bloated that way - I've noticed a huge difference, and dh says he likes the taste better.

Today, I have to:
skim beef stock and package to freeze
figure out what to do with 8 egg whites
soak pecans and pumpkin seeds
roll out noodle dough, make perogies

I'm trying not to do too much, as dd is sick and very clingy.

Amanda it sounds like Sunday will be a good day to start a new family tradition.
#101 of 117 Old 03-05-2005, 02:30 AM

I am new to this NT thing and this forum but I spent most of the evening in the kitchen getting it ready for NT ways and man do I feel content.

I scoured my stove inside and out washed all the dishes and I mean all, cleaned out and got ready some other kitchen items as well, I made yogurt, soaked rice, bought all new cleaning products (natural of course) and made some of my own.

I feel so good about myself and the kitchen and feel as though I can accomplish anything.

Thanks for this fourm and all the interesting info
#102 of 117 Old 03-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
You're right treehugger -- it wasn't necessarily by design but by necessity. Our refrigeration methods make fermentation unnecessary and, as a result, most of us do not have access to an abundance of beneficial bacteria in our foods. A big part of NT is fermentation out of health necessity, not food preservation necessity. Fermented foods help digestion, but a healthy digestive tract is a healthy body. It seems that I read that the immune system health is 70% your digestive health.
Gale Force,

Just wondering, do you know where you read that quote about digestive health? I need to do a lot more research on this topic, as my dh has always thought he has colitis, but we're now suspecting that it's really just an aversion to the western diet. Also, my ds has shown amazing improvements in his body/personality since we started soaking grains.

Another question: I read WAP's book and NT, but I didn't learn anything about the fermentation being "out of neccessity," and in fact I just read _Native Wisdom_ by Robert Wolff which has got me really speculating on the origins of things like fermented foods. Do you have any more information on this topic, or were you just guessing?

Just wondering! Great thread! I haven't read it all yet, so hopefully I'm not repeating a question.

MisfitMama
#103 of 117 Old 03-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretgarden
I am new to this NT thing and this forum but I spent most of the evening in the kitchen getting it ready for NT ways and man do I feel content.
secretgarden, that's great- it's so much nicer to work in a clean workspace.

Well, here's what I did today (sort of playing catch-up since I've been really lazy since the weekend): I changed over the kefir from milk to grape juice...(oh! by the way- ds seems to be tolerating the kefir from the goat's milk just fine. I think I'll try a yogurt smoothie tomorrow and see how he does with that.)...I put some yogurt in the colander to make yogurt cheese, so that's draining on the counter. I made dahl for lunch and rinsed my chickpeas. I want to try roasting them for snacks. I started soaking some rice and made some dough for sourdough english muffins. We had chicken soup for supper from stock made last week (I got about 14 c. concentrated stock from my last chicken). That's about it. It's beautiful outside but the kids have coughs and sniffles, so I've got cabin fever.
Not NT, but I still really need to get busy making some dipes for ds. He's bursting out of his newborn ones!!
What's everyone else up to?
#104 of 117 Old 03-09-2005, 10:52 PM

MisfitMama,

On the "70% of immune health" -- I have read a lot on candida and didn't really make any effort to remember what was what. So, I have no idea. Sorry.

And in terms of the fermentation out of "necessity," necessity is probably a bad word. All I mean is that it happened as a matter of course. They couldn't preserve it otherwise. And no, I don't know about the origins of fermentation. Sorry on that too.

Amanda

#105 of 117 Old 03-25-2005, 04:54 PM

I am subbing ladies! Lets see...what do I have goin' on in the kitchen......a few crumbs of delish sourdough French bread left on the cutting board and that's about it. When I make my meals...I always double up and freeze one. Tonight, I think we'll have a yummy turkey pie. I have yet to find a good NT recipe for flaky pie crust. This one is just made with fresh ground flour, free range fresh eggs, raw butter, apple cider vinegar and water and that's about as NT as it gets.

Must run ladies........I've got to get "something" going....

PS...if you haven't made ginger beer.....it is a MUST try. Not the recipe in the NT...but it takes a 7 day ginger-bug and then a fermentation in a carboy. Ohhh boy!

Lisa
#106 of 117 Old 04-01-2005, 01:44 PM

I wanna try tell me exactly how to do the beer or where to find recipe .

TIA
colleen
#107 of 117 Old 04-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Lisa,

Do report on the beer. My husband has been talking about making it. Where do you get your supplies for brewing BTW?

And in this household, I don't have a whole lot to report. Just waiting for a stretch of warm weather to set some crops. We really just *survive* the winter healthwise I expect. In the summer and fall we eat mountains of vegetables and feel great. We haven't gotten our winter garden up to speed yet, perhaps too tired by the summer crop to get the seeds in on time. Next year will be better.

#108 of 117 Old 04-04-2005, 08:57 PM

GINGER BEER RECIPE Makes 5 gallons

6 cups water (use filtered, if possible)
2 Tbsp chopped or grated garlic
2 Tbsp sugar

Add an add'tl 2 Tbsp chopped or grated ginger and 2 Tbsp sugar EVERY DAY for 7 days. After about 3 days, it'll begin to bubble, bubble! This is the "bug"

On the 7th day, boil 2 1/2 gallons water...add 7 1/2 cups of sugar and bring back to a rolling boil. Add 3 "hands" of ginger (grated)....simmer covered for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep for 20 minutes or so. Pour into fermentation vessel (I use a 5 gallon carboy) through a strainer. Add 2 1/2 more gallons of cold water. Let sit til room temp. (I didn't wait very long) Add the juice of 10 lime (can use lemons, but I like the taste of limes, more Caribbean-y). Now, add 5 cups of your ginger bug and place a fermentation lock on carboy. Let ferment for 7 days. Bottle. Let sit at room temp for 2-3 days for the secondary fermentation (this is what makes it fizzy). Store in a cool place.

Lisa
#109 of 117 Old 04-04-2005, 09:05 PM

Amanda.....I use as many recycled beer bottles as I can find. I also have a carboy (BIG 5 gallon glass "jar"), a fermentation lock (this is like a stopper with some curved tubing sticking out of it). The local microbrew sells supplies. I use a piece of flexible tubing to siphon out the ginger beer into individual bottles. My caps are from the microbrew and I borrow a "capper" from a friend. You can buy cappers for about $15.00.

Start making this stuff and it gets addictive This is the first thing I "brewed" and it turned out fabulously.

Lisa
#110 of 117 Old 04-05-2005, 12:42 PM

Thanks Lisa

Hey, how are you and your family doin. Are you still in BC?

Lots of building going on here, in fact, not enough cement counter people around!!
This valley will change fast.

Take care
Colleen
#111 of 117 Old 04-05-2005, 06:13 PM

Hi Colleen Yup, we're still in BC. Have you guys gotten used to being Canadians yet? Have you been able to find a good source for pastured meats?

I've still got the birth bug......but concentrating on building up my sling business. Got slings in a couple stores here in Tri-Cities, actually! LOL

You've gotta try the ginger beer......its awesome.

Lisa
#112 of 117 Old 04-23-2005, 10:04 AM

Hi everyone, I've been missing for a bit but am super excited to use the task thread again. It looks like its been idle for a bit, but if anyone would like to post tasks with me to help me get back on track that would be great!

Tasks for today:
+Buy some buckwheat for my new gluten free life! And then figure out what I can make with it not using any yeast...yum

+check on the lacto fermented carrots I found in the fridge and see if they are edible, if not buy some veggies for new lacto fermented veggies

+look through NT and see what I think would be good recipes to use with my new diet restrictions
#113 of 117 Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 PM

My water kefir has really taken off! It is so different and really changeable. I just add different dried fruits to get a different taste. If my grains start to multipy well, I'll let everyone know and I'll start to ship them out!

Also, I just ordered bulk spelt - I usually just buy a bag at the local hfs that says spelt. When I ordered it today I was asked if I wanted whole or white. I picked white because of the low phytate content but now I wonder if I should have just picked the whole and soaked my grains (I will admit that with DH working crazy hours, my grain soaking has been lacking).
#114 of 117 Old 04-28-2005, 10:07 PM

Dang, I finally figured out that you're talking food here instead of in the main NT thread! :LOL

My task for today is to soak more flour for bread tomorrow. I'm on a bread kick! And start some more bones for soup.
#115 of 117 Old 05-18-2005, 11:53 PM

You ladies are inspiring me...Dh is on a 3 day juice fast, so I'm not so motivated to think about meal planning for ds and me. I think I'll just soak some black eyed peas tonight. Starting next Thursday, ds and I will be helping out at a CSA in exchange for weekly organic veggies. I'll have more to ferment!!

Questions: dh thinks you can only ferment veggies in crockpot and jars are too small. NT says to do it in mason jars. What do you use?

Where do I begin with cooking meat? Right now I'm trying to hunt down a source for pasture-fed, but haven't had luck yet. I was a vegetarian for almost 10years and haven't cooked meat since Hamburger Helper days!

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
#116 of 117 Old 05-19-2005, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalex
You ladies are inspiring me...Dh is on a 3 day juice fast, so I'm not so motivated to think about meal planning for ds and me. I think I'll just soak some black eyed peas tonight. Starting next Thursday, ds and I will be helping out at a CSA in exchange for weekly organic veggies. I'll have more to ferment!!

Questions: dh thinks you can only ferment veggies in crockpot and jars are too small. NT says to do it in mason jars. What do you use?

mason jars have worked great for me. Acutally I have used many different types of jars and they have all worked quite well. Even small jelly jars.
#117 of 117 Old 05-19-2005, 09:53 PM

Thanks, 4cornersmamma. That's good news because it means we don't have to do huge batches, we can return the borrowed crockpot, and I can watch the bubbling take effect!!

Task for tonight: track down sources for raw milk and pastured meat...I've been trying but no luck. I joined the Weston Price chapter elist, and there's a resource list there, so I'll hit it up next.

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page