NT task thread... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 117 Old 01-31-2005, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I would start a NT task thread to keep us all on track.

What are your daily NT tasks this day, week, month...

Any NT meal planning....??

I really need to deal with my Kefir and start a new sourdough starter.
#2 of 117 Old 01-31-2005, 10:23 PM

I have to say that my NT tasks are my favorites. Each day after I go shopping I work in the kitchen for an hour or more. I have a lot of stuff I'd like to work on over the next month:

+I'm getting a Kombucha culture so that will be a new exciting thing to figure out

+i'd like to get something that shreds veggies easily so I can make more lacto fermented veggies (I'm waiting for my wild fermentation book so I think I'll be itchin' to do this). I need to get in a good routine for fermentation. I keep making drinks and running out before I even have the next one started

+I really need to get back on the sourdough I really miss that yummy bread but I need to get some rye flour

+more stock in my life! its hard to keep enough supplies (ie bones) around so that I can always have some on hand

Sorry to have so many tasks I just love doing this stuff. I can't wait to see what other people are working on, these types of threads always really inspire me!
#3 of 117 Old 02-01-2005, 01:07 AM

Totally LOVE this thread idea! I haven't gotten past trying to remember to keep some beans sprouting!

I cook a pot roast (organic, pasture fed) about twice a week in the crock pot. SAME recipe every time! Of course, we deal with multiple food allergies here, so it's a bit different for us.

I am REALLY looking forward to "peeking" into y'alls NT lives and seeing exactly what you Do do!

PS - I've had a head of cabbage in the fridge for 2 weeks. It's waiting for me to turn it into sauerkraut! :
#4 of 117 Old 02-01-2005, 01:40 AM

#5 of 117 Old 02-01-2005, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Tuesday NT tasks to do:
1) Take off grape kefir and put on new
2) Take off lemonade kefir and put on new
3) Soak Pinto beans for the week

Do first three tasks in the AM

PM tasks...
1) Strain youghurt to make whey and cheese
2) Reverse 1/4 cup for making new batch of youghurt
3) Make new batch of youghurt
4) Soak spelt flour in buttermilk for pancakes for the breakfast!

#6 of 117 Old 02-01-2005, 09:05 AM

* Beet kvass will be done this evening, ready to put in fridge.
* Figure out what to do with soaked and cooked kidney beans. I used about half in chili; the rest are in the fridge awaiting transformation into something.
* RuthLa is sending some kefir grains this week. I am clueless about kefir, so need to read up on that.
*Vague idea that I want to try making gingerale this week. I have ginger, limes and whey, along with a large jar; simply need to take the plunge.

I keep a written schedule for housework, since otherwise I'd forget to vacuum and clean : (housekeeping is not my strong point, obviously). I've started jotting down NT stuff on the schedule, too, so I can keep track of when stuff is finished fermenting, and when I need to start soaking something. Some days I feel like I'm conducting an experiment to see if a highly disorganized person can do NT.
#7 of 117 Old 02-01-2005, 10:29 AM

I'm starting from scratch. All I have are glass pots and pans (visions corningware) and I've just bought some glass jars to store dry/fermented foods in. I've only got a total of 2 bags of dry foods (oats, brown rice) in my pantry so I have a long way to go yet!

On my list this week (sorry no food listings for this week):
Look through NT and plan meals for the next 7 days
Do a big grocery shopping (fruits/vegies/dryfoods/meat)
Organise kitchen and pantry/storage
Organise raw milk/cream/butter for next week
Buy 4 more pyrex glass storage bowls for soaking prep
Make a batch of gingered carrots
Make a batch of sauerkraut

Quote:
Some days I feel like I'm conducting an experiment to see if a highly disorganized person can do NT.
:LOL
#8 of 117 Old 02-01-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Gwen
* Some days I feel like I'm conducting an experiment to see if a highly disorganized person can do NT.
: Me too, me too! And besides being extremely disorganized (ADD tendencies), My two little boys and 5 mo old baby has me on my toes as well.

Here's what I want to do this week:

*Make broth with beef bones in freezer

*Pick up co-op order

*Make goat milk kefir with my new kefir grains (coming with my order)

*Soak some beans and put 'em in the crock pot

Also we're working on gathering materials to make a goat shed. Our goal is to have goats by Spring.
#9 of 117 Old 02-01-2005, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have this book... I want to use it...
but it's so hard to make the leap!

What's the best way to get started?
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 117 Old 02-01-2005, 10:47 PM

AnnetteMarie, are you looking for an overall game plan? Or just some ideas of simple things to get started?

I think the easiest things to start with are soaking oatmeal overnight, making some crispy nuts, and making some chicken broth.

Then maybe try fermenting some vegetables or a beverage. This is my favorite part -- really, I don't know if I'd stick to NT at all if it didn't give me a good excuse to ferment stuff. Who knew stuffing veggies in a jar and waiting for them to bubble could be so fun.
#11 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 12:00 AM

I got a lot of NT tasks done today, started some buttermilk, cream cheese/whey, started some radish seeds to sprout, made some carob fudge and started "haymakers oat water", and berry jam.

Tomorrow I'd like to do the following:
+start some daikon fermenting
+actually remember to rinse my sprouts
+figure out what to do with all the crispy almonds I have
#12 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 AM

I just strained the kefir this evening and put half of the grains into an orange juice concoction, oranges I bought from the field today. I tried a fermented juice product over the summer too and was successful on 1 of 2. One batch molded rather quickly (but it was over 100 degrees).

This morning I made yogurt but for the third time in a row, let it cool far too much. I am getting burned out on making yogurt but my husband needs it a lot now, so I am going to get him to help. I also think I'll make a gallon at a time. I've got gallon jars and plan to try putting it into an ice chest somewhat near a woodstove. It's pretty cold here, so I need to find the right warm cubby for this to work. I typically let my yogurt strain for 24 hours and it is stretching it to find a warm place in this old house all night long, but perhaps the cooler will provide enough insulation.

My husband will be picking up some nuts tomorrow for crispy nuts. I haven't made them since November when I made mountains of them. I've been out for a month, miss them, and wonder if my regular-ole nuts are making me fat more than nourishing me.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#13 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am trying really hard to get started on all of this it sounds so healthy and I want to get on the road to better health. It all seems like so much work and a bit overwhleming. How do you all do it and not feel overwhelmed?
#14 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 04:38 AM

Monday: pick up raw milk & produce (& a few other items) at the farm stand

Tuesday: drive to natural foods store and buy bottled kombucha for the week (*Need to finally take the plunge and order a starter, as I've gotten my husband hooked on this too and it's now a $30 a week habit!*) also some whole milk yogurt, kefir & cream. Sometimes we make our own butter using a mason jar and a couple marbles and about twenty minutes of shaking. My daughter's American Girl cookbook had the instructions in it. She likes to drink the buttermilk too, which I never would have guessed.

Once a month: stock up on other pantry and meat items at Trader Joe's. Although this time I was displeased because they had no grass-fed beef at all. This year we are planning on buying a quarter beef from somewhere.

Also this month: go to first WAP chapter meeting, make connections with other NT'ers IN REAL LIFE! How shocking! I am lucky in that this particular local chapter seems to be focussing on meal planning for families with young children. (Other chapters seem to cater to single urbanites.) They are even putting together a family cookbook with emphasis on quick meals.

Couple times a week: make oatmeal in the crockpot overnight. Other days we have eggs or I microwave malt-o-meal (eek.).

Tried making the "Essene crackers," what a disaster. Totally inedible.

Made turkey and turkey stock according to NT at Thanksgiving. Great, but a lot of work. Haven't tried it again. Have five chickens and a turkey in my freezer waiting for me to get brave. (I hate handling meat and I've never been a vegetarian, so I can't blame it on that.)

I have not got the idea of how to make a week's worth of meals in an NT fashion at all. I can get one meal out of about four, but that means seventy-five percent of our diet is still leaning heavily on convenience and processed package foods.

Thank you for starting this thread....
LeeAnn

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
#15 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 04:48 AM

a lot of these things i already do...

but what is NT....
#16 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 05:16 AM

NT stands for "Nourishing Traditions" a cookbook by Sally Fallon based on research by Weston A. Price (an early 20thC dentist) advocating raw dairy, grass-fed meats, fermented foods, etc. See www.westonaprice.org for complete info.

Some people also call it "native nutrition" because the idea is that you are eating things the way they would have been prepared in the days before processed foods and such.

LeeAnn

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
#17 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 06:19 AM

Signing on.
Thanks Mt. Mom for getting us started.

I will continue to seek out clean meat source.

Sure I have a butcher here in town........but..........it's so scary!!!

When we don't have sources for clean meat, Other than ground buffalo and chickens. Its hard for me to go buy the commercial stuff. I would love a bag of beef or bison bones..

What do you do? Go without the meat? Pray over the grocery store stuff? or eat beans?
#18 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 01:23 PM

Here are some NT kitchen questions:

Is there any way to keep the smell down when making stock in a slow cooker? I'm making stock from lamb chop bones that I've been saving up in the freezer and we live in a small apartment and it smells good, but pervasive, I'm going to be sick of it by the time I make soup with it.

Storage: Where do you store
raw seeds
soaked and dried seeds?

Today I've made stock, put Scotch broth mixture (marrowfat peas, yellow and green split peas, red lentils, and barley) on to soak for the soup tommorow, made pineapple juice yo-jelly, made yogurt, made kefir, made porridge for breakfast and hard boiled eggs for lunch! oh and made kefir muffins with the kids.

And washed a lot of dishes.

And hung up a load of laundry. Oh, no, that's not NT.
#19 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Treehugger... Doing a few tasks each day keeps me from being overwhelmed. Thats kinda why I started the thread so that I would see it and do it!

Catarina...I store it all in the fridge.

Intentfulady! At the market here, they sell chicken bones and bison bones, maybe next time we visit, I could bring you some?

My Wednesday Tasks:
Some of my tuesday night tasks became my Wednesday morning task due to the fact I had a late client... and all I could accomplish was cleaning the kitchen so I could wake to a clean kitchen...something very important to me or I kinda loose it.

thus far I have:
Made youghurt
Made tzaziki from the youghurt cheese
Rinsed my aduzki beans and got them started in the slow cooker
Checked on my water kefir...used rice syrup instead of rapadura this time, fingers crossed!

After we get home this afternoon I will,
Prepare chilli with some of the beans
Start a bison stock
Make another batch of youghurt

I need to research about craut...I want to make some!

#20 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intentfulady

What do you do? Pray over the grocery store stuff?
:LOL that was cute !!!
#21 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hidden Life

Some people also call it "native nutrition" because the idea is that you are eating things the way they would have been prepared in the days before processed foods and such.

LeeAnn
I know you can't read tone of voice on these things so please don't take this the wrong way. I am totally new to this NT thing, but how do you know they would have gone through all this process of fermentation, wouldn't the fermentation have occured naturally due to lack of refrigeration?

I don't mean this rude at all I am interested in how they have come to this conclusion.

Thanks
#22 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 03:24 PM

treehugger, you're not being rude, questions are good! Most of the suggestions in the cookbook and online articles are based on things that Weston A. Price found out about how native peoples processed their foods for consumption. He traveled around the world looking for pockets of civilization where modern depleted foods had not yet made inroads to the native diet. He studied these native peoples and examined them for signs of either health or disease, and for the most part found that the people who stuck to their native diet were very healthy and well-built, and those who did not ended up with poor bone structure and dental caries.

In his studies he also took careful note of the way in which the foods were prepared. Most cultures had ways of lacto-fermenting dairy and/or carbohydrate foods to make things like kefir, fermented coconut milk, poi, fermented oats (scottish), and fermented veggies (think saurkraut). The recipes in Nourishing Traditions are adapted for modern cooks to be as similar as possible to the way traditional foods were processed and cooked.
#23 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 04:09 PM

Intentful lady, I completely understand your meat frustrations. Even though I live in the Big Apple its really hard to find good meat. In my neighborhood we have a regular grocery that doesn't even carry organic meat let alone grass fed. the health food stores are inconsistent with what they carry and walking & the subway with my daughter in a sling is too much. the farmers market is great but really far away and lots of heavy stuff + daughter....Soooo I order stuff online. I try to order enough to last a few months so I don't feel bad about having stuff shipped so far for just me. There are alot of places on line w/ beef, poultry is a bit harder.

So I finished my tasks for the day plus some. I made:
+pickled daikon
+rinsing beans
+made cilantro pest w/ cripy almonds!
+started dinner

tomorrow I'd like to:
+start another nt beverage (not so sure about the haymakers oat water)
+start a bread (not sourdough because I still need to get some rye)
+make stock
+find a dehydrator
#24 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 04:21 PM
cjr

I'm going to be lurking for awhile. I went to the bookstore to find NT and it was $40CAD and the wild fermentation was $35CAD at my healthfood store. Way too much. So, I went to amazon and they have both for $31.50USD plus $8 to ship them to me in Canada. I should save about $30CAD this way. However, I lost my wallet and had to cancell my credit card so I have to wait until I get the new one to order it.

Anyway, I browsed through it at Chapters and it looks very interesting. I already do a lot of NT cooking, I think, but I would really like to get into it. My biggest problem is dividing my time so I can manage to make everything from scratch. I have a few things down pact, but this thread will really help.
#25 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oooh, this is just what I need!

I have *written up* a schedule to try out, but it hasn't been happening in completion.

Mon night -- soak oatmeal, start sprouts
Tues -- soak flour for baking
Wed -- make batch of yogurt; bake; lacto-ferment something (saurkraut was planned for this week); cook a roast or a bird
Thurs -- make stock; soak oatmeal; start sprouts
Fri -- make big pot of soup & freeze for later meals; soak flour for baking
Sat -- make yogurt; bake; make stock

So far this week, I've made a batch of soup and am making stock. But not when I had it written in the schedule.

I also have a meal schedule, but it's not all NT. Dh loves his pasta.
Breakfasts rotate between eggs, oatmeal, and fried mush. We usually have hot chocolate with breakfast. (I figure it's the most healthy way to deal with my chocolate cravings. I use very little sugar and cocoa.) And we usually try to have fruit -- cut up oranges or grapefruit, bananas, apples.

Lunches are either soup or bread with meat gravy and left over veggies.

Dinners -- right now I have written up a schedule, but I need to tweak it. We have fish twice a week, pasta once a week, stew once a week, baked beans and grilled cheese sandwiches, and a meat-and-potatoes roast night.

I'm hoping to make more beans, especially for the summer (I love bean salads), make some salad dressings and mayonnaise, and get into the habit of making a lacto-fermented drink at least once a week. Oh, and crispy nuts. And my rrl/dandelion/nettle tea. So much to do....

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#26 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 06:03 PM

I never knew what NT was until now. I do many of the things as prescribed in NT, mostly out of a need to save money and of course to be healthy. Certainly, I could do a whole lot more.

This is great and I too will be lurkin' and learnin'.

This is a bit off topic.....a question that I could not seem to get answered on the weston price site: what do you use for home and body care? Currently I use baking soda vinegar and other pantry items for everything.

Thanks mamas. You are a wealth of information!
#27 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjo

In his studies he also took careful note of the way in which the foods were prepared. Most cultures had ways of lacto-fermenting dairy and/or carbohydrate foods to make things like kefir, fermented coconut milk, poi, fermented oats (scottish), and fermented veggies (think saurkraut). The recipes in Nourishing Traditions are adapted for modern cooks to be as similar as possible to the way traditional foods were processed and cooked.
So these people acutally took the time to ferment their foods on purpose? Was it for better digestion? Or overall health? Thanks for answering all my questions I can't help myself it is all so interesting.

I wish I could afford the book and my dumb little library ain't got nothin'
#28 of 117 Old 02-02-2005, 08:06 PM
cjr

Quote:
I wish I could afford the book and my dumb little library ain't got nothin'
It's $15 at Amazon. One more post and then you can go sell something on the trading post to get the money to buy it. It's $40 here in Canada, when hubby gets home I'm ordering it.
#29 of 117 Old 02-03-2005, 01:43 AM

cjr, through amazon.ca, it's CAD$44.15 for both, including shipping
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...913851-8368860
#30 of 117 Old 02-03-2005, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thursday tasks:

Make final batch of youghurt from this weeks milk....done

Start the stock already, stop procrastinating!!! Well I have good reason, its been beautiful weather wise here and we have been out of the house all week. The bison bones are too long to fit in my crock pot so I have to be home to cook them up.

Tonight is stock night!!!

After playgroup....get part of the groceries done.

Thats about it for today, I am pretty caught up for the week...cept the stock :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page