Frugal Meals/Recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2005, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have some frugal meals/recipes that they would share? We are trying to trim our grocery bill and although I have some frugal meals (burritos being the biggest) I'd love some new and interesting, yet very cheap meals to make......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Banned

Well I am too lazy at the moment to put whole recipes and meals lol (sorry)...but I will tell you that buying food in its purest form has really cut down on our food bill A LOT...such as rice, dry beans, etc...they take longer to cook but it is so worth it. Also, making a lot of things from scratch like muffins, pancakes, tortillas, polenta, even homemade granola (it is suprisingly easy, mostly just toasted and sweeted rolled oats) and the like is SO much cheaper...I think a lot of people spend so much $$$ mostly because of convenience items that if they took a bit of extra time to make from scratch could save loads...

HTH!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
The best things that I can make to cut $$ is stuff like chicken noodle soup, chili, stew - things that keep well and make multiple meals - lunches and dinners.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 02-14-2005, 06:51 AM

I can't promise anything "new and interesting", but I'll tell you some of my cheap and healthy meals.

Split Pea Soup ~ sauté onion and whatever other veggies you like and have on hand, carrots and celery perhaps, in oil or water; add a pound of dried split peas; add water and cook until split peas are soft; add desired seasonings, we like curry; serve with bread or other grain

Tofu Stir-fry ~ Sauté veggies; add cubed tofu; add seasonings, we just make it up as we go along; serve over brown rice

Whole grain pancakes ~ Make pancakes with whole grain flour; top with a small amount of syrup, nut butters, fruit, and/or jam (if used sparingly real maple syrup can be frugal, and it's probably better for health reasons, too)

Spicy lentils ~ cook lentils according to package directions; add spices, we just make this up as we go along, too, sometimes we just use some olive oil and garlic, sometimes we make it hot with chili powder, sometimes curry, whatever; serve over rice or other cooked grain with veggie on the side

Sorry this is all so boring, but these types of things can be made 10 different ways each. They don't have to be the same each time, just add combinations of spices you know you like or experiment. It's not so frugal, but sometimes we buy a bottle of flavored sauce and use that for the seasoning. If you use ingredients like bulk dried beans and rice that are super cheap, using some bottled sauces or flavorings won't break the bank, especially if you find a good deal on sale.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses!

We have cut out most prepared/prepackaged foods except dry cereal....Been thinking of making my own granola though....
I was thinking that some of our favorite foods are fairly expensive to make even from scratch....I do quiches, and other bakes with eggs...also dairy and am feeling that if I could cut down our dairy use as well as eggs we could be more frugal with our grocery bill.....
I never thought of doing pancakes with nut butters.Binah Yeteirah....my Ds would probably love this....Real organic maple syrup is all we buy...but it is really expensive, worth it but expensive!!!
We are doing lots of soups and stir frys too....

What about creative uses of leftovers along with frugal recipes.........anyon

Old 02-14-2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Angel
I never thought of doing pancakes with nut butters.Binah Yeteirah....my Ds would probably love this....Real organic maple syrup is all we buy...but it is really expensive, worth it but expensive!!!
Pancakes with nut butter and syrup is practically the only way I eat them, lol. My stepfather turned me onto it, and now my whole family eats them the same way. YUM! It adds protein, too.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:22 PM

One of the things I like to do is put a chicken in the slow cooker. Then, a couple days later we have chicken and dumplings made with the leftovers. Since I buy inexpensive chickens, I can have two dinners (the chicken and dumplings night always includes extra friends) plus a lunch or two for my husband for less then $5.

Another thing is putting pork shoulder in the slow cooker and cooking it until it shreds. I have a recipe that adds wine, garlic, onion, and bell peppers, and then feeds a passle of people or a couple of dinners and three or four lunches for less then $10. I could do it for $5 if I did not cook as much pork but my husband loves this for lunches and snacks.

I also buy bulk frozen chicken breasts for nights that need to be 30 minutes or less. Bake the chicken and add potatoes/polenta/rice and salad. You are looking in the $5 +/- range for dinner again with leftover chicken possibly for jambalaya or chicken and pasta or fried rice when we need a quick dinner night.

We also bake our own bread and have started making our own pasta from scratch. It seems to fill us up faster then store bought (more nutritionally dense?)

When I can afford some organic beef, I am going to put together a stew in the crockpot. We cannot eat non-organic beef or dairy.

Can you tell I like my crockpot? It is because I work and we do not like to eat out anymore (quality of food, quality of service, atmosphere, money).
Old 02-15-2005, 11:06 PM

Lentil soup is definitely my most frugal recipe. I can copy it here later, but I don't have it in front of me right now.

We try to do at least one frugal recipe a week, so this thread is great (I've been meaning to start a similar one). I'm going to add these ideas to my book!

Also, I sometimes do a quick look through the cabinets to see what we have, then go to allrecipes.com and plug in my ingredients, and it will bring up recipes that include what I already have, so I don't have to go to the store to buy more thinngs!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

These are great ideas....keep 'em comin'!!!!!

norcalmaommy...I didn't know allrecipes.com did that (allow you to enter in what you have and then link you to recipes)....that is excellent!!! We have gotten some great recipes from there too!!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:21 PM

Black beans are extremely nutritious and you can cook them up with anything from salsa to curry or just sauted onion, tomato and italian seasoning and put over rice for a meal- adding shredded cheese, yogurt or sour cream if you eat that. I throw veggies like kale or carrots in with the beans for nutrition.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 02-17-2005, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Angel

norcalmaommy...I didn't know allrecipes.com did that (allow you to enter in what you have and then link you to recipes)....that is excellent!!! We have gotten some great recipes from there too!!!!
Yep, you just go under "ingredient search."
Old 02-17-2005, 12:07 PM

You may also wish to check out the archives on the Nutrition and Good eating thread. There are lots of ideas for crockpots and meals.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:51 AM

check this out for crock pot ideas www.justslowcooking.com

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:32 PM

We have to be frugal, so I do have quite a few super inexpensive dinners.
-Minestrone soup...broth, black beans, tomatoes, a zucchini, a potato, and macaroni noodles. Simple, easy, cheap. good.
-Hummus or baba ghanouj w homemade pita bread
-falafels
-red beans and brown rice w lots of garlic
-calzones...I have used everything you can imagine to stuff simple homemade dough...whatever is fresh from the garden, cheese, beans, whatever I have
-homemade pizza is cheap and fun for the kids
-scrambled eggs and pancakes for dinner (we eat lots of eggs, too, EarthAngel, but I definitely feel they are a frugal choice!)
-layered tomatoes (when we have them), bread, mushrooms w egg bake...really good w basil
-lentil soup
-Fantastic Foods makes a Veggie Burger mix that I buy for $2 that we really like...you just mix w water.

I know there are more, but these are all I can think of now.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:59 PM

I do spaghetti ( the original cheap mael) I make it with lots of veggies. (especially when i bought fresh and didn't get around to using them so they are about to go bad soon) Huge amounts. Some we eat for dinner, then the extra gets split into diffrent batches. Faimly sized to freeze, and one to toss in fridge for later that week. Then individual sizes (daddy, mommy and jewely sizes) to freeze as well as take the following day for lunch.

I make panckaes evey Sunday morining. I am using Krusteaz mix which tatse sooo good and I buy in bulk. (Although I would really like a whole wheat pancake recipe if anyone has one). I mix in diffrent fruit depending on what's on sale. We eat some (and my whole family and some friends comes for Suday breakfast), then freeze the left overs, again in diffrent sized individual packages. They are really good for DD to taketo daycare, or even eat before work for all of us.

(I will be keeping a close watch on this thread, and contributing as I can.)

Courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:27 AM

I use a lot of bean and rice meals and the 'breakfast for diner" is a favorite here.
for pancakes i make my own using the recipe for whole wheat and topping with apples-sliced, peaches(that i froze from summer) or Raspberries (frozen also from our bushes)which have been simmered over med heat with a dollop of butter and some brown sugar and cinamon, Then we get really liberal and allow a sprinkling of powdered sugar!
I've begun making French toast too sometimes and my trick to get in the protein is to grind up filberts(hazelnuts) and before turning sprinkle with the nuts so that they stick to the egg and toast.
~L
Old 04-18-2005, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillie
-Minestrone soup...broth, black beans, tomatoes, a zucchini, a potato, and macaroni noodles. Simple, easy, cheap. good.

I made this tonight!!!!! We can't have tomatoes cause my son is allergic so I subbed some pureed sweet potato and some other seasonings...But is was so good and so cheap to make...Thanks so much for the idea....Mylie xx
Old 04-21-2005, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Courtney, you can make whole wheat pancakes with any pancake recipe by simply substituting whole wheat pastry flour for the white flour.

You can make your own mix, of course, by multiplying the recipe a bunch of times and mixing up all the dry ingredients. Then you figure roughly what volume of dry mix you need for one batch and when it's time to cook 'em you add the wet ingredients. I think www.allrecipes.com has a little button that will multiply recipes for you.

My favorite pancakes are made with some kind of "soured" dairy: instead of plain milk, I use sour milk (1c milk + 1tb vinegar), buttermilk, kefir or plain yogurt thinned with water. If you use sour dairy in your pancakes add 1/4tsp of baking soda to the dry ingredients.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 AM

We often must be frugal with our grocery shopping so we have learned a couple of things about cooking. One of our fav things to do is save and freeze all of our veggie and fresh herb scraps--you know, peelings, onion skins, garlic paper, etc. . .then once a month we boil it in some water and voila Veggie stock--totally awesome and different every time (last month we even added some strawberry tops and it was great). We also only buy whole foods--nothing convenience because it is way cheaper to make things yourself from scratch then to buy the box. Buying in bulk helps as well. DS just started getting fussy, so I will think about some specific recipes and post them in a few.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:45 AM

I've gotten some great fast&frugal recipes from my Moosewood "cooks at home" cookbook. Some of my faves:

Blackeyed peas w/spinach and cheese grits (or just rice, if so inclined): Saute an onion til soft, then add about 10 oz spinach (don't buy the bags - too expensive! but you can use the bags held up to the bulk stuff for an idea of how much 10 oz is). Once it wilts, add 2 (16 oz) cans of blackeyed peas (or buy dry or frozen and prep).
Simmer on med heat til done - then serve over cheesy corn grits (not instant) - just cook according to pkg directions. Cheeeeap and quick and so yummy - you'll be surprised! Nutrition info: 256 cal, 15.4 g protein, 4.7 g fat, 4.7 g carbo

Here's one more: Broiled polenta w/mushrooms and cheese:
Polenta: boil 3 c water w/ 1/2 tsp salt. Add 1 c cornmeal in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Lower heat; simmer about 10 minutes.

While the polenta cooks: Heat 3 tbsp olive oil. Saute 6 oz domestic mushrooms (diced) & 1 minced garlic clove til oil is absorbed (I add onions, too). Next, stir in 1 tbsp water and 1/8 tsp salt. Simmer for another minute or two.

Preheat broiler. Spread polenta in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese over polenta. Spoon sauteed mushrooms over mozz. Top with shredded cheddar. Broil 3-5 minutes, til cheese is golden brown.
Nutrition info: 278 cal, 9.1 g protein, 15.6 g fat, 25.4 g carbo

This recipe doesn't take as long as you might think, about 30 minutes if you are on-the-ball. And it's cheap, too!
HTH!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:39 AM

Just giving this a little (ok a big) bump

Mama to 3:
Old 08-12-2005, 02:16 AM

I just stumbled upon this forum-great ideas!
:

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

Old 08-18-2005, 12:52 PM

What a great threat!

I have a delicious lentil soup recipe (but from my head, so not super exact)

Saute onions, celery, carrot and garlic. Add brown lentils and water. Cook until lentils are soft. Add spices (whatever you think, cumin is my fave) Add chopped herbs or spinach and soya sauce and lots of lemon juice. It's so good!
]
We also like:

Bean dips from cooked beans: add oil and either lemon juice, vinegar or umeboshi paste and whatever vegetables you have chopped up super small.

steamed vegetables with tahini or nut butter sauce (tahini/ nut butter mixed with hot water and salt/ soya sauce and whatever else) served with brown rice.

summer vegetable saute with chick peas: saute onions, zucchinni, yellow squash, peppers, tomatoes, garlic (or whatever of the above you have) and chick peas in oil with a bit of salt, pepper and oregano/ basil. Serve with couscous, quinoa or rice.

dahl soup: 1/2 c - 1 c. mung bean or split pea. 1/4 c basmati rice, onions, celery, carrots, pat of butter, 1-2 tsp garam masala (indian spice mix: 1 corriander, 1 cumin, 1 black pepper, 1/2 cinnamon, 1/2 turmeric) and salt to taste. Throw all in a pot with water and cook until it's done. Serve with bread/ salad/ steamed veggies.

curries with rice, stir fries, soup pots (leftover veggies and rice noodle in a pot with soya sauce), noodles with tomato, vegetable or nut butter sauces, chile,
lentils and rice, big salad with baked tofu/hard boiled egg/ nuts or seeds.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:37 PM

:

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2
One of our fav things to do is save and freeze all of our veggie and fresh herb scraps--you know, peelings, onion skins, garlic paper, etc. . .then once a month we boil it in some water and voila Veggie stock--totally awesome and different every time (last month we even added some strawberry tops and it was great).
I jsut started doing this. I haven't made the stock yet. How much veggies do you need to accumulate first? You use the messy paper part of the onions & garlic too? I think I am just throwing too much away

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:46 PM

treemom2- Your stock idea is great.

Thanks to the posts on this thread I just saved the fam $15 that we would have spent on take out food. You laddies inspired me to cook with the left overs that I already had. A small piece of pork sirloin marinated in tomato juice, oil, hot peppers. Spanish rice with more tomato juice and onions. Caned re-fried bean and tortillas.

Keep on posting your ideas here it is very helpful.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:53 AM

Yeah, I used the stock idea yesterday -- (hope it worked) -- it sure smelled good while simmering. What a great idea! Can't wait to borrow some more of these fabulous ideas -- wonderful thread. Thanks mamas!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Earth Angel]thanks for the responses!

I do quiches, and other bakes with eggs...also dairy and am feeling that if I could cut down our dairy use as well as eggs we could be more frugal with our grocery bill.....
Real organic maple syrup is all we buy...but it is really expensive, worth it but expensive!!!"

I have found that pure olive oil, butter, EGGS, and pure maple syrup, all of which we go through in quantity, are available at a great cost savings at costco or sams clubs, if you have one near by. I also do all of my cooking and baking from scratch and so buy flour (white for the occaisional pastry/gift and/or w.wheat)and sugar in bulk, too. These things, unfortunately, are not organic in these quantities. King Arthur Flour sells organic flours in bulk, but the shipping makes the cost savings shrink quickly. I much prefer cooking with organic products, but we're so strapped right now that if I don't grow it organic, and/or I can't find it in bulk at Whole Foods Market, we can't, just CAN'T afford anything but the kid's rice milk and my 1/2 gallon a week of cow's milk. I make menus 6 weeks in advance. In the spring my local fruit market sells premium hams (usually $8/lb)for $2/lb. I buy several of them, cut them into 4 lb chunks and freeze them. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas we can get turkey for about $.50/lb. I buy several and freeze them. Costco has the best everyday price for pork loin, whole OR cut into chops. I buy a couple of them to have on hand, and then watch the sale fliers every week at the local grocery stores (there are three major chains within 3 miles of our house) for other meat specials. About every six weeks or so, I can get buy one pound, get two free ground turkey, which comes to about $.99/lb. I buy ten to fifteen pounds. I buy my noodles bulk at costco. I buy lentils, rice, beans bulk organic at whole foods. I have a roast one day, make a soup or stew from leftovers one day. I make breakfast one day (eggs really are inexpensive, if you buy in bulk, we buy 3 doz @a time). Got a bread machine for our wedding, and make our own bread 2x/week. Make morning glory muffins or homemade oatmeal,bear mush, steel cut oats (bulk), homemade english muffins, or toast, and fruit for breakfast. Cereal from the store is just not cheap enough! Have leftovers from dinner for lunch (dh never goes out unless a supplier is buying!), often using spare meat from the roast, if we're in the mood for a "cold-cut sandwich". Also, my kids LOVE soup, and will eat just about anything if it's IN soup, so I often make an extra pot of soup for their lunches. We have a vegetarian meal twice a week. Make homemade pizza every friday (buy pizza cheese on sale every six weeks), using homemade dough (it's really easy). The last day, we spend every other week at either my parents or his for a "family dinner" with the grandparents. I use a really great combo of cookbooks, and rotate recipes, so we don't get bored. There's a great program on our computer that allows me to type stuff onto a calendar, and I type the menu and then print it out. Saves time, saves the 5:00 phone call asking "okay honey, what do you want for dinner..." helps save money at the grocery store. The point of this was to say, the warehouse stores CAN save you money if you buy certain products and are diligent about getting in and out with only what's on your list. We REALLY save on the things I listed above at costco over grocery store prices. Good luck!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 12-01-2005, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmommy
Lentil soup is definitely my most frugal recipe. I can copy it here later, but I don't have it in front of me right now.

I'd like a copy of the recipe, if you have time.

thanks!
~Nay

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Old 12-07-2005, 12:03 PM

Love this thread! One question, though. I know beans are great for you and very cheap. However, dh hates them because they give him terrible gas. They don't do me any favors, either, but dh is a BIG eater, and just plain eats more. Does anyone have any solution to this prob? I really want to serve beans more often.

Liz

User Tag List