Cheap, healthy and easy beef? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2005, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving and we have tons of beef because we bought a side of grass-fed beef a while ago. We need to use it up and stop buying other meats so we don't have to move it all. Most the steaks are gone : but we have tons of ground beef, roasts and round steaks. I need some cheap recipes hopefully also including other thing we have stock piled (frozen veggies, WIC beans and such). They also have to be relatively easy my husband drives trucks so it's me alone with the baby all week:bf. I would also like some that don't have a ton of proccessed white flour. Here's what we have been making lately that i need to add to:

Sagetti (whole wheat pasta)
Taco's (whole wheat totillas)
Meatloaf
Wild mushroom stew
Jerky

I know that's asking alot but Please help:

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2005, 02:24 PM

I put ground beef and beans into www.allrecipes.com and these are just a couple of things that came out that I thought might work. You can put in any ingredients and it will give you recipes. Here are a few to start.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef
* 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 2 teaspoons onion powder
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons water

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, mix the ground beef, ginger, garlic, onion powder, and pepper. Cook and stir until the beef is evenly browned.
2. Mix soy sauce and honey into the beef mixture. Stir in the green beans. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 7 to 10 minutes, until beans are tender.
3. In a small bowl, mix the flour and water. Stir into the beef and bean mixture, and continue cooking about 5 minutes, until thickened.

stroganoff
NGREDIENTS:

* 2 pounds ground beef
* 2 onions, chopped
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 cups hot water
* 6 cubes beef bouillon
* 4 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, add onions, garlic, and mushrooms; saute until onion is golden brown. Season with salt and black pepper.
2. Stir 2 cups hot water, bouillon cubes, and tomato paste into meat mixture. Stir together 1 1/2 cups cold water and flour; stir into pan. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 pound lean ground beef
* 1 onion, chopped
* 6 slices bacon, diced
* 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
* 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
* 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
* 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans
* 6 slices American cheese
* 1 cup crushed tortilla chips

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the ground beef, onion and bacon for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the meat is browned and the onion is translucent; drain excess fat.
3. In a 3 quart casserole dish, combine the vinegar, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, green bell pepper, kidney beans, chili beans, pork and beans and the meat mixture. Stir together until well blended.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, remove from oven and top with the cheese and crushed tortilla chips. Return to oven and bake for 5 to 6 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:28 PM

Old 03-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Lots of soups....minestrone for one! Stew...even if you cut up the roasts for stew meat. Slice roasts to grill. Mix beef with mac and cheese. Do roasts with veggies or just some crushed tomatoes. Hey share the wealth...know a family in need or a family with sicknes in the house or a new baby? Shred and mack lo mein or beef fried rice.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:51 AM

You could do pot roast in either the oven or a crock pot. I've made a million casserole combos off of ground beef and rice...add a can of tomatoes, corn and some pintos, maybe cumin and some cheese and you have a nice mexi-south-west thing. Add frozen peas and lipton onion soup...with way extra water and corn starch or flour to make it into a gravy and serve over rice or potatoes (called Fross in our home?).

I know this is kind of elaborate, but I think you can take the round steaks and make rouladen...a German dish that is one of my fave's....http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/GrmnRldn.asp

That's all that comes to mind right now...but I know there is so much more.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:36 AM

I don't know how long your move is, but you could pack your meat in a cooler with dry ice. It kept our food solid for a day when we got a new fridge last summer.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:27 AM
g&a

hamburger stew.

ground beef
onions, garlic
potatoes
vegetables - peas are traditional.

yummmmm....

or meatballs. You can premake them and freeze them for later. or just eat them now.....

g/

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:01 PM

Here are a few of our favorites:
Shepard's pie, you can use either ground beef, shreadded, or cubed.
Pot Roast is always a favorite
Spanish rice with beef is good.
I have often times cooked beans, then added to cooked beef and rice.
Any kind of stew or soup.

I would pack it up in dry ice, we have used this when no power after hurricanes and haven't ever lost any frozen food, even with no power for several days!

Donna
Old 05-01-2005, 02:09 PM
tee

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Throw beef beans onions and tomatoes in a pot and cook.

Enchiladas-take left over chili and wrap in tortillas. top with cheese and spicy sauce. Make the sauce with tom. sauce, hot sauce, vinegar, and cayenne pepper and salt. Alter sauce to taste. bake. Don't even need the cheese and can buy the sauce.

Also a second to the crock pot. If you don't have one you will really use it.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp11100
We are moving and we have tons of beef because we bought a side of grass-fed beef a while ago. We need to use it up and stop buying other meats so we don't have to move it all. Most the steaks are gone : but we have tons of ground beef, roasts and round steaks. I need some cheap recipes hopefully also including other thing we have stock piled (frozen veggies, WIC beans and such). They also have to be relatively easy my husband drives trucks so it's me alone with the baby all week:bf. I would also like some that don't have a ton of proccessed white flour. Here's what we have been making lately that i need to add to:

Sagetti (whole wheat pasta)
Taco's (whole wheat totillas)
Meatloaf
Wild mushroom stew
Jerky

I know that's asking alot but Please help:
Fajitas & stir fry would be pretty easy, & you can use frozen veggies for that. For stir fry just add a few tablespoons of soy sauce & some of your frozen veggies, for Fajitas season it with chili powder or red pepper instead.

Single mom of 2 boys

User Tag List