Egg recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-28-2005, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 3 dozen organic free range eggs given to me! I need some interesting ways to make some good meals out of these. Any ideas??

I've never made a quiche but if you have a good recipe let me know, please!
#2 of 6 Old 02-28-2005, 08:19 PM

Fritattas are really easy. In an oven proof skillet, saute any veggies and/or meat you want in it (onions, garlic, peppers, bacon, sausage; Or you can get creative and put in avocado, crabmeat, shrimp, artichokes, capers...) When the veggies are soft and meats cooked, pour in enough beaten eggs to not quite cover. Cook a little bit on the stove top, loosening it around the edges as that becomes possible. Then sprinkle on cheese and stick it in the oven to finish cooking. When it's cooked through (stick a knife in it and pry it open a little to look for raw egg), take it out and slide it out onto a plate or platter; Or serve it right from the pan. Cut it like a pie to serve. Depending on what you put inside, you might put salsa on it, or guacamole, or hollandaise or anything else that sounds interesting.

Or you can do neat little egg bakes in custard cups. Put herbs, cooked meat, sauteed shallots, anything that sounds good to you in the bottom of a custard cup. Pour in a tablespoon of cream. Crack an egg on top. Pour on another tablespoon of cream, a sprinkling of cheese, salt and pepper and more herbs if you'd like. Cook in a bain marie until the egg white is set.
#3 of 6 Old 02-28-2005, 09:43 PM

We go through a lot of eggs combining them with leftovers - one of my favorite meals, any time of day, is frying cubed leftover potatoes (baked or boiled) - once they are heated through, I pour over several beaten eggs (like 5-6 per skilletful of potatoes) then top the whole mess with cheese and salsa - mmmm !

The frittata idea is great - we also make a lot of frittatas with leftover pasta - it can stretch a small amount of leftovers into a really hearty meal.

Homemade puddings take several eggs. And I can think of a dozen yummy things to do with hard-boiled eggs - chopped in a salad with chickpeas and dressing, deviled eggs, curried egg salad, pickled eggs with beets.

Another thing my kids love is to tear a hole in the center of a thick slice of bread, fry the bread in a little butter, then crack an egg into the hole - cook on both sides, and it's a great breakfast.
#4 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Banned

quiche is super simple, well at least the ones I throw together are---they taste like the quiches I have had in the past, but I don't have a solid recipe...I just throw them together ya know?

Anyway, I take a pie crust, most times homemade, but I am sure you can use a premade frozen one, and I beat about 4 eggs, add a bit of soy milk, a bit of salt, garlic, whatever spice is around lol....then I will put whatever vegetable I have laying around in the bottom of the pie crust (spinich works great, but I have used peas, carrots, broccoli etc)....then I sprinkle cheese over the vegetables, pour the egg mixture over it, then sprinkle more cheese---we like organic swiss, but I have used whatever else on hand....the egg should fill the pie crust..leaving about 2 inches at the top....

Bake at 350 for about an hour or until egg is very set---springs back to touch....

I know the recipe sounds real half @ssed...and it is...lol...but it always tastes really good to us!

Also, this would be a great time to do some baking...breads, cookies, quick breads like banana bread etc...all which require eggs and will keep well for a long time....even longer if frozen....
#5 of 6 Old 03-05-2005, 12:05 PM

Spinach fritatas....

You CAN freeze eggs (crack each one into an ice cube tray/portion...freeze, then pop out into a container) if you just don't know how to use them up fast enough.
#6 of 6 Old 03-30-2005, 07:59 PM

Easy Huevos rancheros:
In the bottom of an oven safe dish big enough to hold two eggs per person pour in some plain tomato sauce to about 1/4-1/2 inch deep. The add whatever kind of salsa you like to make 3/4 inch deep total (or you can just use all salsa but it can be a bit overwhelming) then crack in two eggs per person, cover in grated cheese and bake until the eggs are set and the sals is bubbly. I make this all the time in individual pyrex dishes for b'fast and it always gets chowed down.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page