Are we up for the March Pantry Challenge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2005, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope we all do this again. I spent about $40 on groceries last week. Tomorrow we are due for our big shop--a Peapod delivery that will be about $110.00. I am hoping to spend no more than $250 this month--a big savings over our usual $400 or more.

I made dinner out of the pantry last night--Spanish Rice with hamburger and assorted veggies. Leftovers tonight.

Anyone with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 05:43 PM

Oh my gosh, is it March already?! I love Pantry Challenge, so you KNOW I'm on board!

Last night was chicken noodle soup, and in true Amy1st fashion, I tripled it and made a huge pot so I can freeze the extras. This afternoon/evening, I am moderating a Scholastic Bowl meet for my little brother's junior high school, so it's "fend for yourself" night around here. :LOL Still gotta figure out the rest of the week. Unfortunately, I'm craving fried hot dog sandwiches, so that's all that sounds good right now. :
Old 03-01-2005, 06:11 PM

I'm with you guys!

I need a little pantry using to take a break from my freezer feeding frenzy

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 03-01-2005, 07:34 PM

I'm in. I didn't chime in much last month, but I'm re-energized for this month. I have an extra challenge for myself this month. We start Lent on the 14th and we fast vegetarian for the whole time. Being a meat kind of girl, I am pretty nervous. I have never cooked for the whole time. So, I will be looking for lots of vegetarian help that is carnivore friendly. I'm already wondering how to make a white chili that doesn't use chicken broth. Anyone?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:45 PM

I'm definitely on board I saved $147 last month.

I got 2 tubs of Ricotta cheese that's about to go bad, with no idea of what to do.

Have lasagna noodles but no spaghetti sauce (red sauce)
Have ziti and spinach noodles but no red sauce
Any ideas on what to do with ricotta cheese?

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
Old 03-01-2005, 07:53 PM

there were a few recipes on allrecipes.com when I put in ricotta. I wasn't sure what other ingredients you had, though.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu_Mommy_2003

I got 2 tubs of Ricotta cheese that's about to go bad, with no idea of what to do.

Do you have milk, butter, cream cheese, and parmesean? If so make an alfredo. Alfredo sauce lasagna is great. Use lots and lots of garlic though to give it good flavor.
I usually make mine with chicken and veggies or just straight veggies when I use alfredo.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:20 PM

I've never done it but I could try. How does this work?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:20 PM
g&a

Ricotta- I know you can stuff the big round pasta shells with a mix of ricotta, egg, and some spices (parsley). I bet you could do a casserole with your lasagna noodles and that kind of a mix for one layer. Spinach would make another good layer and top with mozzarella. Assuming, of course, that you have all that stuff and that you eat eggs.

anyone have any good ideas for molasses?? I bought it thinking "this stuff is good for you" but don't know what to do with it so it sits and collects dust.
Both me and baby (9 months) could use some more iron in our diets.

thanks.
gisele

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whoo hoo! Next week (payday) I will make my monthly trip to the Amish store (gotta love bread 2/$1, organic cereal for $1, and a box of 30 organic fruit leather for $2.69) I spend about $100 or so there, and another $40-50 at the grocery store each week.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 03-01-2005, 08:27 PM

I'm in again
I went shopping at the grocery yesterday and went to the farmer's market today. We didn't shop at all last week and were really low on essentials. Now that ds is really eating, there's no stopping him!
Anyhoo, spent about $100, which was more than I anticipated, but not toomuch more.
My challenge for this month is to finish off what's left in the pantry from when we started this in Jan and really minimalize shopping. We're going away for 8 days toward the end of the month and I would really like to not have to do a shop before then except for milk, eggs, and fruit and veg. That's my goal.
Yesterday we had leftovers for dinner. Cleaned out the fridge from last week and had lentil soup, crispy rice noodles with ginger sauce, and mac n cheese. Also made some peanut butter cookies, not really cookies at all, but dd thinks they are delicious which is great because lately she eats like a bird. And it only used things I already had in my pantry. Would be happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested.
NuMommy - I've got a few recipes for ricotta if you're interested. Baked ricotta. Ricotta frittata. Ricotta and spinach fritters. Ricotta tart. Let me know if you want any of the recipes.

Mama to 3:
Old 03-01-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosmom
I'm in again
Also made some peanut butter cookies, not really cookies at all, but dd thinks they are delicious which is great because lately she eats like a bird. And it only used things I already had in my pantry. Would be happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested.
I'm needing a good peanut butter cookie recipe!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 03-01-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Make a white lasagna- make up a alfredo sauce instead of red sauce and add shredded chicken.

Also my favorite comfort food my mom makes- speggetti and ricotta sauce.

Also stuffed shells are yummy- but instead of buying more pasta, boil the lasagna spread ricotta (mixed w 2 eggs, oregano salt/pepper and milk) on the noodle and roll it. These can be frozen individul and take out what you need.
Bake them for 20 minutes at 350. So its a lasagna roll up. Serve later on w sauce or the alfredo.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarasmom
I've never done it but I could try. How does this work?
Here's a link to the January challenge which explains what it exactly is we do here. Love to have youhttp://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=233821
Allright Amy, I told you it wasn't really a cookie recipe, but it's still good.
P-nut butter chewies
In a small bowl combine 1/4 c granola, 1 T honey or syrup, 1/4 c sunflower seeds, 1/4 c raisins, 1/4 c finely grated carrots and 1 T wheat germ. Stir in 3/4 c peanut (or other nut) butter. Form into small balls. Store in the fridge whatever you don't eat.

Mama to 3:
Old 03-02-2005, 12:07 AM

I'm in. I'm running really low on stuff, but my pantry isn't completely bare, so I'm hoping to make it until April....

I do have to get some milk, bread, and deli meat, though!
Old 03-02-2005, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Ok, it's March 1st and tonight I did my shopping. I stopped at the store to get a couple of organic items and some yeast, total $15.00. Then I did my Peapod order tonight, a total of $118.00. All grocery (food) items, plus toilet paper. I've decided to make the extra trip to the dollar store for any other household items this month. A hassle but should save a lot of money. That brings me up to 133.00. Hoping next week will just be little things. I was spending $400 a month or more so if it comes in under that I'll be happy. I am hoping way under, though--like $250 would be nice.

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy yeast is? I bought a jar rather than the packets, which is cheaper, but wondering where it can be found in bulk?

Ricotta is a great dessert with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on it, btw!
Old 03-02-2005, 01:54 AM

I had an awesome dinner tonight. Heated some oil up, added a few cloves of garlic, added chopped greens, carrots, broccoli, celery, and asparagus. Added soy sauce and salt. Let it cook down a bit, added some water because the pan was getting dry. When it was all tender I added about a T of tahini and mixed it all up. Off the heat I added some Bragg's. Wrapped it up in a Ezekial tortilla with cheddar and then ate the rest as is I love the farmer's market, and springy veggies are coming up in CA

Mama to 3:
Old 03-02-2005, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g&a
anyone have any good ideas for molasses?? I bought it thinking "this stuff is good for you" but don't know what to do with it so it sits and collects dust.
I use a quick recipe for beans that uses molasses. three cans of beans (or equivelent dry). Saute a sliced onion. Add the beans, about a tbsp of molasses, 1-1/2 tsp mustard, 1/3 cup ketchup, tbsp maple syrup, tsp ginger, tsp paprika. Cook for about 15 minutes. This would probably be good with lentils too.- I forgot -- you need to add three tbsp water to this.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:

squeeze out frozen but thawed spinach, quick cook some garlic put that, spinach, ricotta s/p in a food proccessor and blend to smooth. Yum
Old 03-02-2005, 04:48 PM

Rainbowbird - you can get bulk yeast at your local HFS - I've found it for about $2.99/lb - or try Costco, where I get mine, a massive amount (like 2-3 lbs in a vacuum-pack brick) for $3.99.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:52 PM

Thanks all for the ricotta tips. I did the lasagna roll up and froze them. All so I need a recipe of some sort for the white sauce with ricotta sounds yummy!

I have eggs and milk and cream cheese. Recipe???

Annettemarie - 30 organic fruit leather for $2.69 just unheard of around these parks I might have to beg : you to pick us some.

SAHM to DS(11), DD(9), DD(7), DD(5), angel.gif loss(28wks 12/31/10), and DD (2); wife to DH since 1998
Old 03-02-2005, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Annettemarie - 30 organic fruit leather for $2.69 just unheard of around these parks I might have to beg : you to pick us some.
The thing is, you never know what they will have from one week (or day!) to the next. It's a lot of scratch and dent, things that are a little (or a lot!) past the date- you have to look!- items that have old packaging, etc. I never did figure out what was wrong with the fruit leather. It could just be that the original case was dented, and they had to get rid of the whole thing. It's fun. It makes shopping an adventure.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 03-02-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by opally
Rainbowbird - you can get bulk yeast at your local HFS - I've found it for about $2.99/lb - or try Costco, where I get mine, a massive amount (like 2-3 lbs in a vacuum-pack brick) for $3.99.
WOW! I am going to check my co-op next time i go. You wouldn't believe what I paid for this little jar. I used to buy the envelopes but that was when I hardly ever baked. The jar was cheaper but still WAY expensive--7 something and it's only 4 oz!

OUCH!

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by g&a
Ricotta-

thanks.
gisele
I have a jar too. It is the really strong kind (unsulphured?) not sure how they will work in a recipe but I'm going to try anyway. Here is one I found online. Might be a good way to sneak a little more iron into both of us! In a very yummy way. I found tons of other recipes but this one looked easy...

http://judy.langley.home.mindspring....s/recipe14.htm
Old 03-02-2005, 09:32 PM

I have been lurking around this (and last months) thread for a few weeks. I love this challenge! We spend so much money at the grocery store - this is just the wake-up call that I needed!

Tonight we are having a frozen black bean and rice casserole that my mom made us as a gift. We haven't had to do a big grocery shop in over two weeks!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for the ricotta tips. I did the lasagna roll up and froze them. All so I need a recipe of some sort for the white sauce with ricotta sounds yummy!

I have eggs and milk and cream cheese. Recipe???

When I make up ricotta for lasagna or mannitcotti or what ever-
For every pound of ricotta:
add 1 large egg
1/8 c milk
salt/pepper to taste
oregano to taste
sometimes garlic salt as well

To stretch this make up a white sauce with melted butter and flour. Get it mixed and add milk to consistency you want. Then add ricotta and mix up.

I'm glad the lasagna roll ups worked.

Tonight its chicken enchialadas and rice. Also beef ones but I froze the beef ones for later and made up some more chicen ones for later.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:01 AM

Gotta jump back in. We've been VERY bad the past couple weeks (hence my not posting.... : )

Any good ideas for what to do with about 1 lb of bulgar? I've never made it before so good directions would be a plus!

TIA!

Holly
Old 03-03-2005, 02:06 AM

Ok, Mamas...what can I do with a half bottle of merlot that is past its drinking prime?? :LOL
Old 03-03-2005, 02:30 AM

I had planned to cook something nice tonight, but DD and I ended up napping for 3 hours and woke up as DH was walking in the door from work. :LOL So ramen noodles and microwave baked potatoes for us! Plus, some bread I made in the morning, carrots, and mandarin oranges. Tomorrrow, tomorrow....

I was just coming here to ask about yeast, too! I need to send my mom to Costco!

I asked about molasses in February's thread. I am drawing a blank, and the only thing I can remember right now is gingerbread cookies. But those baked beans sound great!

I'd have to do a Google search, but isn't ricotta cheese used in tiramisu? Yum!

Leomom, my mom uses wine to marinate beef roast.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:37 AM

I have a recipe for blueberry gingerbread that uses molasses but it's too late now to go looking for it. I will try to post it tomorrow if anyone is interested. It also uses buttermilk. I used to find that I can never use up all of a container of buttermilk, but now I just use whatever is left to make pancakes. They are delicious.

Good night...

User Tag List