reverse grocery list and another crazy idea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2005, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I would post this here, since it has been working so well for me. It seems kinda crazy...
First, I don't really shop from a list; I decide what to buy and make based on what is on special, what is available organic, what looks good, etc. But I had been having a couple of problems: forgetting what I had planned to make and also once I go to make something, sometimes someone has already eaten some of the ingredients.
So this is what I do:
In the store, I make a list of meals to be prepared from what I have bought. I post this on the fridge, so that I can look at it and easily see what I have ingredients for. I cross meals off once I fix them. That's my reverse grocery list.
Then, to solve the problem of folks snacking on, say, the cheese I need for lasagna or whatever, I use grocery bags. I put all the ingredients for my minestrone in one shopping bag and put that in the fridge; all the ingredients for red beans and rice in a bag in the pantry, etc. Everyone in my house now knows not to help themselves to things in the grocery bags. If it isn't sacked, it is free for snacking, but if it is in a bag, then mama needs to cook it.
Sounds crazy, and obviously my brain is disorganized or I wouldn't need to do this, but it has been enormously helpful for me, so I thought I should share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2005, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=mamamillie]Then, to solve the problem of folks snacking on, say, the cheese I need for lasagna or whatever, I use grocery bags. I put all the ingredients for my minestrone in one shopping bag and put that in the fridge; all the ingredients for red beans and rice in a bag in the pantry, etc. Everyone in my house now knows not to help themselves to things in the grocery bags. If it isn't sacked, it is free for snacking, but if it is in a bag, then mama needs to cook it.[QUOTE]

good idea! i am constantly having this problem!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:30 PM

What a great idea. That has happened here soo many times, an ingredient is missing and goofs up my dinner plan. With the older 3 kids getting home at different times or oldest coming home after a sport event, they ravage the fridge!!

Great Idea!!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 06:39 PM

That is a great idea.

I also "reverse shop" and prepare meals based on what is on sale... I think that's one of the best ways to save money on your grocery bill...
Old 03-16-2005, 06:42 PM

:
Taking notes....

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 03-17-2005, 11:03 PM

You know, I have just started to realize that this is the way to go for me, but I'm one of those that needs to hear someone else doing it to feel it's "OK". (I know, acceptance issues, but that's for another board :LOL) You have helped me so much! Thanks!

User Tag List