Black Beans - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-28-2005, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nak I sent my hubby to the store to take advantage of the canned goods sale. I gave him a list he did really good until "2 flats of beans variety" apparently he didn't read the variety part so now I have 2 flats of Black Beans. What are some things I can do with them?
#2 of 27 Old 03-28-2005, 11:28 AM

Hi!

The more obvious one is black bean soup -- really thick and pureed. I would drain and rinse them, and add them to a stock of your liking. Then use seasoning to taste, but add fresh lemon or lime juice and maybe a little tomatoe. So yummy!

How about black bean salsa?

Carolynn
#3 of 27 Old 03-28-2005, 11:35 AM

We eat black bean enchiladas all the time - black beans & rice, rolled in tortillas, baked in a homemade enchilda sauce (usually sauteed peppers & onions, with equal parts salsa & tomato sauce added), topped with cheese, baked for 30-45 min. So, so good, and leftovers are even better.

You can make a great, quick salad by thawing frozen corn (I usually use white corn), adding a can of drained black beans, some crumbled feta and a few squeezes of lime juice - you don't even need to add oil to this salad, and it is fantastic. We eat a lot of that throughout the summer. You can add other things on hand - diced tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, whatever is in the fridge.

There's a recipe for black bean brownies in the recipes section there (I think it's called Peggy's Kitchen) that I've never tried but have been curious about.

Beans & rice, black bean soup, chili, I'm sure you can find some yummy black bean dip recipes. You can also try going to allrecipes.com and doing an ingredient search - I'm sure a ton of stuff would come up.
#4 of 27 Old 03-28-2005, 11:38 AM

http://www.mothering.com/sections/recipes/brownies.html

Here's that brownie recipe - if anyone has tried it, please let me know if you liked the results !
#5 of 27 Old 03-28-2005, 12:06 PM

Chili, soups, stews, echiladas, burritos, with rice, in salsa, thrown in salads. mashed for refried beans, eaten plain with a little tamari. They are really delish.
#6 of 27 Old 03-28-2005, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I added some to left over chilli for lunch, made leftovers for one into leftovers for 2 I'll have to try some of your other suggestions! I have to admit I've never bought black beans before! Give me any other type of bean and I'll make anything, but I had no clue with black ones :-)

Thanks again!
#7 of 27 Old 03-30-2005, 11:58 AM

I make a good cold dip with it...I call it black bean hummus but it's not really similar. Just take one can of black beans and salsa to taste (1/2 cup or more) and throw it into a processor or whatever you use to puree. The consistancy should resemble hummus. Very tasty with tortilla chips or pieces of pita. I also make wraps with this as a base in summer, just add lettuce, tomatoes...whatever.
#8 of 27 Old 03-30-2005, 12:15 PM

Huevos Rancheros
Start with a corn or flour tortilla (if using corn it is good to lightly fry or grill it first) Then top with fried or scrambled egg(I like to add a bit of nutritional yeast, black pepper and a tiny dash of soy sauce to my eggs), black beans, cheese and broil in oven to melt cheese. Serve with salsa and even sour cream and guacamole if you like. This makes a great brunch. You could also use tofu scrambled with some chopped onion and chili powder and omit the cheese to make it vegan.

Mother to two great kids. &
#9 of 27 Old 03-30-2005, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They make beautiful purple refried beans.
#10 of 27 Old 05-30-2005, 07:57 PM

black bean chili
Brown a pound of ground turkey--put cumin, sage and chili powder in it. (2T of the chili powder, teaspoon each of the cumin and sage.) Add 2 cans black beans, drained and a can of diced tomatoes, not drained. Heat and eat.

My friend's chicken recipe, modified a little by me

Heat some olive oil in a pan.

enough chicken breasts to feed your family......cut 'em up, this I started to make sure they're done. Throw those in.

Coat it all with italian dressing, oh about half a bottle.

When the chicken's done dump a can of tomatoes (undrained) and a can of black beans (drained) over it and let those get heated.

I make brown rice on the side....actually underneath when it's all done. The black beans used to be a side till I realized I like mixing them with the rice, sauce, and tomatoes anyway so why not just drain them and throw them in the pan? Saves a pot.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#11 of 27 Old 06-08-2005, 05:26 PM

allrecipes.com has a recipe for black bean hummus that I really like. Caution: do not think you know betetr than the recipe and add several extra cloves of garlic. it will be too much (voice of experience)

Tamara
:
#12 of 27 Old 06-09-2005, 01:02 PM

My dh's favorite thing is black bean, bacon and chicken burritos. Precook the chicken and dice or shred. Cut bacon into pieces and cook in a pan, add black beans and chicken. Add taco seasoning or cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and a bit of salt.

You can add cooked or fresh onions, lime, fresh tomatos (or cooked ones), lettuce, cheese and salsa and anything else you like.

Last night I made black beans and rice which I may just fuss up a bit to make the same burritos with rice.

The the beans I soaked and boiled (but if yours are canned then add them to a pot but reserve the fluid so you can measure it) the beans. Took 3 cups of reserved fluid and poured the rest down the drain. I then added 1.5 cups brown rice, a can of stewed tomatos that I blended, cumin, chili powder, onions and bacon browned together (I'd suggest 5-6 slices and a whole small onion or half a large). Simmered on low for another hour and a half.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 27 Old 06-18-2005, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We love black bean tacos! Black beans, diced tomato's, cilantro, onions, sour cream & shredded cheese or your choice in warmed corn tortillas.

We also eat a lot of black bean chili too

Seriously?
#14 of 27 Old 06-18-2005, 05:53 PM

black beans
white beans
cucumber
red peppers
cauliflower
plain corn chips
catalina dressing

great salad, don't add corn chips until ready to eat...
#15 of 27 Old 06-18-2005, 05:55 PM

refried black beans
red pepper spread
monteray jack
tortilla shells

makes great quesadillas
#16 of 27 Old 06-18-2005, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Here's that brownie recipe - if anyone has tried it, please let me know if you liked the results !
We tried them here. They weren't bad tasting at all, but what killed this recipe is that it had a really odd wet/slimy, spongy texture.
I wouldn't make them again.
#17 of 27 Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 AM

Huevos Rancheros...

Tostadas - Black beans, shredded lettuce, corn, salsa, sour cream, and cilantro.

Refried black bean tacos or burritos, add toppings

Black bean and corn salad (I think a pp left a recipe)

I haven't tried black bean chili but that sounds great.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#18 of 27 Old 07-07-2005, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I have tried the South Beach Diet version, and I thought it was pretty good. I imagine its even better with real chocolate (instead of powder) and butter.
#19 of 27 Old 08-18-2005, 12:57 PM

Quick and easy... we eat this about once a week:

Tacos

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup salsa
1 medium green pepper
3/4 cup minute brown rice (or you can use regular brown rice, adjust cooking time as necessary)
Taco shells and toppings (we've found they taste best with just the four cheese mexican on it, sour cream and stuff seems like too much)

1) Stir beans, salsa and green peppers in med saucepan, add 1 cup water. Bring to boil over med-high heat.

2) Add rice and reduce heat to medium-low heat. Cook 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for five minutes.

Assemble tacos. Takes about 15 minutes flat.
#20 of 27 Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 PM

:

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#21 of 27 Old 10-04-2005, 03:41 PM

I use black beans in a lot of things- chilis, soups, beans and rice (beans, rice, corn, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, etc). PM if you want a specific recipe/

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#22 of 27 Old 10-04-2005, 05:32 PM

I make a 1 pot mix with black beans & rice or quinoa alot, it is really good & very easy. It consists of black beans, corn, salsa or just tomatoes if you like it more mild, taco seasoning (mostly chili powder, cumin & salt), onion, rice or quinoa (uncooked) & any other veggies you may want to use (zuchinni is really yummy). Satuee the onion & other veggies if you want. Then add everything else, cover with stock or water. Cover the pan & cook til rice/quinoa is done. This makes really yummy burrito filling or we prefer it in a bowl topped with cheese & plain yogurt (or sour cream).

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#23 of 27 Old 10-31-2005, 02:51 PM

My mom makes balck beans and rice. She combines a little tomato sauce, seasoning, a tiny bit of olive oil, rice, and balck beans and cooks it all together. It is really good. it's my sister's favorite rice. it's really good with chicken or turkey.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#24 of 27 Old 11-01-2005, 03:17 PM

Spicy Black Bean Cakes
4 cups black beans
1 red onion diced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
1 jalapeno diced
1 cup parm cheese
2 eggs
2 Tbsp flour
2 clove garlic mince
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup parsley or cilantro
2.5 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup canola oil
dash ground cumin

1. Mix half of the beans in a bowl with the onion, red pepper, jalapeno, parm, eggs, flour, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, parsley or cilantro, and 1 cup of the breadcrumbs. Mash until well blended.
2. Fold in reserved beans.
3. Form mixture in to cakes. Dip in remainig breadcrumbs.
4. Heat oil in skillet, cook 4-5 min per side or until golden brown.
#25 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 AM

Cuban Black Beans and Rice (Frijoles Negros, si tu hablas espanol )

2 cans black beans, undrained
chopped garlic
diced onion
olive oil
green pepper, diced
salt

Saute onion, green pepper, and garlic in pan with olive oil. Saute until tender. Add black beans (undrained). Add 1 tsp olive oil. Bring to a boil (watch carefully, stir and don't let it burn). Salt to taste (I usually use about 1 - 1 1/2 tsp. ?) Lower heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-30 mins. The longer it simmers, the better the flavor.

Serve over rice! Yummy!!!!!
#26 of 27 Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 PM

I had black bean cakes and appley chutney last night. So good, so easy.

http://www.vitamincottage.com/common...E85DD915331B09

I didn't use the chutney recipe though. I used an apple chutney recipe. And I added cumin to the bean cake mix.
#27 of 27 Old 11-16-2005, 12:19 AM

-Black bean hummus. Use just as you would the chick peas. DH makes this all the time.
-Black bean chili in the crock pot.
-Refried black beans (mash them all up in a pan with a potato masher while adding spices)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page