Anyone have the book "Not Just Beans"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-28-2005, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to hang out at ParentsPlace a few years ago with the author and I would like to buy it but wonder if anyone could review it for me? Good recipes? I admit I love cookbooks! But I'm in canada and can't find it on ebay so the shipping is probably going to triple the cost of the book (13.50 US$ just for shipping on one site I found.) Is it worth it? Anyone have a spare one? LOL

Kerri
#2 of 5 Old 03-28-2005, 02:24 PM

Well...I would say get it from the library first. I enjoy tawra & I like the little stories she tells, and there are a couple or recipes in there I might use. But it's not quite my cup-of-tea. My fav book for real frugal, more healthy cooking, is by a Mennonite woman named Doris Longacre call More-with-Less.
#3 of 5 Old 04-17-2005, 05:41 PM

I used to hangout with her at a frugality board she used to frequent prior to her moving on to ParentsPlace.

I have her cookbook and I like it. Very basic recipes. Yes, Mennonite cookbooks are great, but please keep in mind Tawra kept her family in budget by cooking really cheap meals.
#4 of 5 Old 04-29-2005, 02:12 AM

I got it from the library, and I thought it was really good! It's on my wish list now.

Edit: I do like the More with Less cookbook more, though. But I have a penchant for ethnic food. Those Mennonites sure know how to cook!
#5 of 5 Old 05-03-2005, 07:42 PM

Persephone, there's a followup to More with Less called Extending the Table that you might like if you like ethnic food. It has recipes from around the world contributed by various Mennonites when they were on their missions (I'm not terribly familiar with Mennonites, and I can't remember if missions is the right word to use or not!).

Alison

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page