Getting ready for the April Pantry Challenge! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 04-19-2005, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
isosmom - do you have a good recipe for macaroni and cheese in the cp? I tried one and it didn't turn out well at all. My dd loves mac and cheese so a good recipes would save me from buying the frozen organic kind that costs a fortune.

TIA
#62 of 70 Old 04-19-2005, 03:25 PM

I got one from a mama here, but altered it a little bit.
Cook 16 oz of pasta until a little under cooked, so a minute or two short.
Add to crock along with a stick of butter (I would use less next time) and grated cheddar (I used a mix of cheddar and parmesan and probably used about 4-5 c)
Mix it all up. Add 3 beaten eggs and 3c of milk. Cook on low for 3 hours. Oh, I almost forgot, I sprayed my cp with non stick spray first.
I think it turned out pretty well, dc ate it and we're having it for dinner again tonight!

Mama to 3:
#63 of 70 Old 04-19-2005, 03:31 PM

Thanks, that sounds great!

My Grandmother used to make it with Velveeta (is that stuff really cheese) :LOL
#64 of 70 Old 04-19-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollysMom

My Grandmother used to make it with Velveeta (is that stuff really cheese) :LOL
Uhhhhhh............no, I don't beleive it's really anything real :LOL

Mama to 3:
#65 of 70 Old 04-21-2005, 12:09 AM

Velvetta story time.

Once a long time ago in a galaxy far far away I had 8th grade home ec.
We made about 5 recipes that quarter and all contained velvetta. Being Italian my mother would never cook w anything like that so I never know what velvetta was, what it tasted like or anything. She always cooked from scratch so we did not see a lot of that kind of stuff.
So in class I told the teacher I did not know how to use it, cook it, or what it looked like other than it was yellow. (yellow dye I'm sure!) She said I had a bad attitude, gave me a D for the term and told my mother I was a smart *ss. When my mom asked we, she repeated the velvetta story to her saying how I was a liar and caused a ruckous the whole bit. My mom then explained, it was true- we NEVER used that stuff nor did she intend to. She then asked what kind of food we were actually cooking since that was all garbage.

My mom already hated that teacher for failing my cousin a few years back for the sewing term. We had to do a sewing project and her mom did not sew but my mom did. My mom made her redo the zipper over until it was perfect. She got a F because no child could have done it that perfect. My aunt said anyone who sews knows that you sometimes redo a whole project especially since my mom told her!

So I guess this Home Ec teacher would not fit in at MDC!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#66 of 70 Old 04-21-2005, 04:30 PM

Took a friend out for a birthday lunch on Tuesday and ate lunch out with a colleague yesterday : so I spent another $39 on lunches. That brings my total to $326.25. Otherwise we have been good about eating what is in the house.
#67 of 70 Old 04-26-2005, 12:51 AM

Went shopping today and also to dinner tonight, we deserved it Anyhow, spent $60 at the grocery and $39 at dinner, brings me to $418 for the month and I am going to the farmer's market tommorow. So I'm guessing my total for the month will be around $450 which is way more than I thought we were spending, but at the same time, I have just been buying what we need and my pantry is pretty empty but for essentials thanks to these threads.

Mama to 3:
#68 of 70 Old 04-26-2005, 11:07 AM

Spent another $100 on groceries and take out this weekend which brings my total to about $426 for the month. I think that should be it for the month. Not great, but not bad. I think I will be able to do better next month. This thread has really helped me be more aware of what I am buying.

Thanks
#69 of 70 Old 04-26-2005, 02:22 PM

This month has been easy only $250. But, we did over $500 last month which averages about $360 monthly now for the year. Thats still better than last year.
But also, we have had a few take out nights, we went out for dinner Saturday w friends ($75 but hey we had a blast and only do it every 4-5 mos
and my parents had dd which is free!) and also we have been lucky to be guests at other peoples homes 3 times this month.

But I have been using stuff in the pantry and freezer most of the time we were home. I also was able to give my parents some mannicottis in the freezer for dinner when we went out. We also had swedish meatballs last night I made from the freezer. We put them on top of noodles that needed to be used in the pantry.
I am making beef tacos tomorrow and tripling the beef taco meat. One for the freezer, one for us, and one for a family at church whose wife is having surgery today. I might need to run to the grocery to get the trimmings but then I can pack half of it up to bring to them.
Using this system, I can help another family out and not worry about it breaking any food budget. If I cannot make it I can give them the meatballs already in the freezer that we are having Friday w ravoilis. I have some canned tomatoes to make up some sauce as well.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#70 of 70 Old 05-01-2005, 07:58 PM

come visit the spring pantry challenge

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page