Planning meals for 17 on a rafting trip - HELP!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2005, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, yea! One of my friends finally got a permit to do the middle fork of the salmon.

We have three rafts going and 17 people including kayakers.

I volunteered to plan the meals for the trip because if I don't then we will all be eating c**p - if you know what I mean - pre-packaged junk food that will partially hydroginate my body and leave me sick after a week with that stuff!

So, I need help - if anyone has ever done this before, I need help! I am not sure of the logistics so any advice is welcome!

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 04-28-2005, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I should add this - the trip is for 6 days, thanks!
#3 of 6 Old 05-09-2005, 02:00 PM

Hey-oh!

It's been awhile, but I used to work for rafting companies (ok not as a guide but of course I ended up on the rivers LoTs!) so I know a leeetttle bit about meals like this.

First thing we gotta know is how much space do you have for packing???

and the first thing I can recommend, regardless of space, is hummus...
#4 of 6 Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for responding to my question.

I decided to let the group go with a company that packs and supplies all the food for the trip.

But my husband and I are just looking into buying a raft for our family and I would love to have some ideas as to what you think would work for extended raft trips.
#5 of 6 Old 05-12-2005, 09:57 PM

HI!
I seem to remember lots of things like bulk falafel, hummus mix, etc. and some fresh fruits/veggies that keep well. Pancakes work great b/c you can cook them over a fire or with a portable stove and all you need is some pancake mix (premade by yourself or boxed), they're great for any meal. If you eat meat, jerky. Tempeh keeps pretty well too I think... You'd need to check on that one, but I remember eating that once. Lemmesee... hm I can't think of anything else right now. Bagels are a bread that holds up well and is good for sandwiches or breakfast. Be sure you have really great wetbags to keep everything dry...
The food the company packs will probably be better than you think - keep in mind that these are river people we're talking about and they're usually pretty conscious of stuff like that, in my experience. And you won't have to be responsible for anyone going hungry if you didn't pack enough, or for those who won't like what you packed... trust me, the responsibility would've been overwhelming! :LOL
#6 of 6 Old 05-13-2005, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

You are right about it being overwhelming. To be honest I am glad I'm not doing it - I am so busy as it is. I think I would have been fine doing it for even 10 people, but I think I would have been in over my head with this one. LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page