new crockpot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-09-2005, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH wants me to get a new crockpot, and i think it's probably a good idea. my current one is too small, gets REALLY hot on the outside, and has no lid. i have to cover it with aluminum foil when i use it. and then i tie the foil on with an apron string. and the outside gets really hot, and the apron string is cloth, and this frightens DH ...

anyway, i just went to the rival website and saw that they have approximately 8 zillion versions of the crockpot for sale, and i'm a bit stumped. i like the idea of a really large one, otherwise, not sure what's important. any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-14-2005, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

bump.
#3 of 9 Old 05-14-2005, 09:01 PM

I got a very basic Rival crockpot for Christmas. Mine's small though (4qt), so you may be interested in something different. It's extremely basic (which was perfect for me, being I'd never even touched one before getting this one for x-mas..lol), it has a knob that twists for 4 settings (off, low, high and warm), and that's it Basic, but good for my beginner self
#4 of 9 Old 05-15-2005, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A few things to consider:

1) If you're planning to use the crockpot for keeping food warm over Shabbat, make sure it doesn't have "automatic shutoff."

2) Get one with a removable insert. I had one that didn't have that feature and it was a PITA to clean.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#5 of 9 Old 05-17-2005, 01:35 AM

I have a basic rival 6 qt - off, low, high and warm. I saw a beautiful one at Costco the other day that had a crock that was decorative and removed for serving.
#6 of 9 Old 05-22-2005, 11:42 PM

I have a white Rival 6qt stoneware slow-cooker crockpot.
Basic four settings as mentioned above.
The stoneware is removable for serving/cleaning.
I love it!

ETA: I think this is it: http://www.rivalproducts.com/eStore/...4&ProductId=64
#7 of 9 Old 05-25-2005, 11:16 PM

Hi Indiana Ima

We just broke down and got a new crock pot because our old one..well.. broke down! It was an ancient ceramic rival pot that I got from my zadie's (z"l) apt when he moved.

Anyway, I did a fair bit of searching because we are shomer shabbas ans use the crock pot for a lot of shabbat lunches. I settled on the Hamilton Beach 6 qt. It works well but has some drawbacks. Honestly, it's too big for the two of us (my little one won't be eating crock meals for a while - he's coming on 6 months!) and the outside does get hot to the touch. However, it cooks and clean well and I've been pretty happy with the results.

I read a bunch of reviews of crokpots on www.epinions.com and all of them slammed the newer rival pots. they also said that basically every crockpot out there gets too hot - the newer ones just aren't as good as the old ones!

I hope this helps - happy crock cooking!

Danielle
(Ima of Raphael Avraham, born 12/04/2004 - Shabbat Vayeshev)
#8 of 9 Old 05-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana ima
DH wants me to get a new crockpot, and i think it's probably a good idea. my current one is too small, gets REALLY hot on the outside, and has no lid. i have to cover it with aluminum foil when i use it. and then i tie the foil on with an apron string. and the outside gets really hot, and the apron string is cloth, and this frightens DH ...

anyway, i just went to the rival website and saw that they have approximately 8 zillion versions of the crockpot for sale, and i'm a bit stumped. i like the idea of a really large one, otherwise, not sure what's important. any thoughts?
My slow cooker is GE. All I know is that it's 6 quart and heats from the bottom. It is warm/hot on the outside, but it's never been a problem. And it has a removable inside part for easy cleaning. It's a good size, it's never been too small for whatever I cook. It has "keep warm," "low" and "high" settings.

Single mom of 2 boys
#9 of 9 Old 06-12-2005, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all of your posts, mamas. i still haven't bought a new crockpot, but it hadn't occurred to me to check epinions, and the tide over there is overwhelmingly in favor of one particular cooker. so i'll probably try to get one of those before summer ends. thank you for your help!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page