okay I have to brag... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-16-2005, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I were just talking about our groceries and he informed me that I have only spen 150.00 for nearly a month!! WOO HOO!!! this is the best I have ever done. Normally by this time of the month I am up to $300. I have to say it is partially thanks to you guys, I read a bunch of posts and was able to use a lot of the ideas you guuys had from meal planning. I also have at the very least another weeks worth of dinners. Man that makes me feel good.

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-16-2005, 08:30 PM

that's WONDERFUL!!!!!!
Good for you!
#3 of 8 Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 PM

Great job! That is inspirational!
#4 of 8 Old 05-17-2005, 09:44 AM

Wow that is great
Can u share what you prepare for meals so I can get some inspiration too?
I have 4 kids though so I know I won't get away with that amount, lol. And, 2 of em are big ol teenage boys. For god's sake, when did they get to be my height??? (5'10"!) Who are these men in my house, lol!
#5 of 8 Old 05-24-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

What really helped me last month was to make a list of all the dinners we wanted to eat.
This is our list:
Pizza, spagetti, stroganoff, baked chicken, chicken stir fry, chicken enchiladas, hamburgers, chicken noodle soup, stew, tacos, chicken dumplings, calazones, grilled fish, ham fried rice, meat loaf, chicken cordon blue, open faced sandwiches, and chicken pot pie. (wow we eat a lot of chicken!) As the week goes if I see another recipe I want to try then I throw it in.

So I made a list of everything that i needed to make the meals and went to the store. Instead of buying small packs of meat, I buy family packs. Chicken packs have at least 10 breasts in them, hamburger with four quarters, ect. I also bought a whole chicken. I dont chop the middle of the store unless I need something like olives or spagetti sauce. Stick to the outside, you will save a lot of money there. I also buy from the bulk bins, I can get whole wheat pasta for 30-70 cents a pound instead of 2.00 on the isles. I get a lot of frozen veggies and fruits and use those when I can but also get a lot of fresh greens, potatoes, and carrots.

One thing that made a big differance is I no longer buy boxed cereal. I saved nearly 20 on that alone. Instead I make granola with dried cranberries, apricots, and raisins.

When I get home I divide all the meat into individual meal sized packs, which cuts down on waste. I boil the whole chicken and seperate all the meat into 2 cup portions and froze. From that (which cost 3.00) I get 4 different meals, noodle soup, enchiladas, fajitas, and pot pie.

I think the trick is to plan before you leave home, it definatly made a big difference for me. HTH.

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
#6 of 8 Old 05-25-2005, 02:35 AM

Wow, that's great. And thanks for sharing your tips. I'll have to look into making some changes myself.
#7 of 8 Old 05-28-2005, 10:25 PM

YIPP that's about what/how i save so much also!!!
#8 of 8 Old 07-02-2005, 08:37 PM

Great job!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page