Breakfast Planning... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-03-2005, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some help planning out some larger breakfast meals. Dh works 830-6pm everyday. I am home with the kids and then take them to the dance academy at 4pm. We get home no later then 10pm (usually earlier) and sometimes dh picks them up so they can be in bed by 9pm.

So......family dinners are out for us. I have been really thinking about the importance of having this family time and am trying to do a switcharoo.

My plan:

Make breakfast the largest meal of the day. Eat all together as a family. Get way to start the day!

Lunch as it is now.

Dinner mostly crockpot meals for now. Then I can bring it to the academy.

PROBLEM: What should I do for breakfast? I am not good at planning out menus as it is. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#2 of 7 Old 06-03-2005, 08:24 AM

What do y'all like? When I do a sit-down we usually have some kind of baked egg dish, fresh fruit with yogurt, coffee or tea and a breakfast meat or veggie (depending on what's in the egg dish). I love quiche, but I am not into making crusts, so we will often make a crustless quiche in a 7x11 pan. Just about anything goes, but we usually add peppers, onions, ham or broccoli and cheese.
#3 of 7 Old 06-04-2005, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

I am pretty open to anything as I can not cook and will be starting from scratch

Any suggestions for recipes...or where to get good recipes?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 7 Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 PM

Well, here are some things we like to eat in our house. orange juice/milk, coffee/tea are a given for each morning.

French toast, maple syrup, sausage patties

Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast

Fried potatoes with onions and green peppers

Pankcakes, maple syrup (top pancakes with peanut butter)

steel cut oats (butter in skillet, fry dry oats for a minute and gives it a nutty flavor, cover with water and simmer for 25 minutes or so) brown sugar, sliced peaches, strawberries or bananas

Veggie and cheese omellettes (what veggies you have handy) with salsa and sour cream

Ham, poached or boiled eggs

Biscuits and gravy (white sauce with sausage)

Turkey or beef hash (cubed potatoes, onions, corn, ground turkey or beef and garlic all sauted together in butter)

Cold cereal with fruit (homemade granola)

Hashbrown cassarole (ham, shredded potatoes, cheese, onions bake it)

Sliced fruit, yogurt, egg and biscuit

Waffles, with fresh fruit topping (maple syrup in a pan and add any fruit you like and simmer it till fruit starts to soften)

Fried egg sandwiches

Egg in the hole (butter bread on both sides, then cut out the middle in a circle or what cookie cutter you have. Put the bread in the skillet and crack an egg in the middle, wait till it sets and flip it till done. fry the middle piece you cut out for dipping)

Cream of wheat or rice, fresh fruit

You can make the hash and the cassaroles ahead of time and then freeze it in thirds and that way you have some you can just pull out of the freezer in the morning and heat it up and your eating. Always remember that cold cereal can be a family meal.... what will make it nice is that you are all sitting down together regardless of what you are serving.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#5 of 7 Old 06-07-2005, 01:24 PM

eggs, hashbrowns, buscuits, pancakes, waffles, sausages, bacon, fruit, yogurt, grits (or "polenta" if you want to sound fancy)

Single mom of 2 boys
#6 of 7 Old 06-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Danielle thank you!!

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals, but for some odd reason I always have trouble thinking of those common sense meals! I end up not cooking anything. lol.
thinking in my head "there's gotta be more than just bacon, eggs n toast"

I'm one for quickness n simplicity though as I happen to be very HUNGRY when I wake up (especially being pregnant now!)...same with DP. So any ideas are great.

Thanks!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2005, 10:06 PM

I have yet to try it, but you can cook steel-cut oats overnight in the slow-cooker.

Proportions are 1 c. oats to 4 c. water. Add dried fruits to your liking. Cook on low 8 hours. Nothing easier than that!

I found lots of recipes by googleing "overnight oatmeal."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page