Feeding 9 month old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 9 month old and he is eating a lot of solid foods but I am wondering if anyone has any recipes or suggestions for mixed foods that babies like. I am feeding him really mushy foods still. Any suggestions for finger foods that are easy to pick up? He is still breastfeeding too but I am trying to feed him more rounded meals.

Thanks.
#2 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 12:56 PM

My DD2 is 9 months also and won't eat anything unless she can pick it up and put it in her mouth herself. Which is a bit irratating to me because I had just put a whole bunch of food cubes in the freezer! lol! ATM she really loves peas, green beans, and carrots along with pasta (loves those wagon wheels and they cook really quick) and cheese ravioli. I will admit, I bought the "toddler" ravioli, but as soon as I have time (sometime soon I hope!), I'm going to try my hand at making some. She also loves chicken (I cook it in the crockpot so it's very tender and then cut into small pieces) too. Oh! And fruit! Loves cut up peaches, pears, and apples Almost forgot scrambled eggs and hm french toast sticks and bagels. I will also give her an occassional cracker or cherrio to snack on too.

Almost forgot...I have a book by Vicki Lansky called Feed Me, I'm Yours. The list of appropriate finger foods for babies 9-12 months is:

bagels, soft
carrots and other vegetables, cooked soft
Cheeses, soft
Chicken, in soft cooked pieces
custards, soft
eggs
egg noodles
fishe, without bones
french toast fingers
macaroni and pastas
tiny meatballs
meats, tender varieties of lamb, veal, and beef
orange sections with loose membrane removed
peaches, ripe and peeled
rice
spaghetti with meat sauce
toast
vanilla ice cream
yogurt, frozen or regular

HTH!
#3 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

He only wants to eat cheerios!! I don't know if it's because he can feed himself or if he just likes them. He doesn't want to eat anything else!! I am going to try to cut up some more foods for him. Does your 9 month old have many teeth? Mine has the bottom fronts and top fronts.
#4 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the list QueenMommy! My ds2 is 10 months old and mostly eats whatever we are eating. I also feed him the toddler ravioli and have a few of the Gerber Graducates things (jarred precut veggies and veggie/fruit puffs) on hand for when I am in a rush or he is hungry before I am done cooking. It's nice to see a list for different things I can try though. It is so different for me this time, ds1 only liked pureed foods and still has a ton of food issues at almost 4. Ds2 will try anything I put in front of him and there have only been a couple of things that he did not like. He eats better than the 4 year old most days!

lorikuschinski my ds2 also only has 4 teeth but he mashes things with his gums very well. Some of his favorite foods are: wheat chex, cheerios, cut up pasta, peas, carrots, cut green beans. He will also eat small pieces of meat. Almost anything that we are having I just cut some up and give it to him. He prefers not to be fed and just uses his hands, no matter how messy.
#5 of 5 Old 06-12-2005, 09:04 PM

Right now she has 1.5 on the bottom! lol! The second one hasn't quite come up all the way, but that's it. She just gums everything!

Glad the list is helpful!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page