Wraps & Burritos from the freezer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-14-2005, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any experience making wraps/burritos for freezing? I'd like to make some for my lunch stash, but I don't know how well they'd freeze and reheat.

Right now I'm enjoying a Smashed Potato Burrito from Matthew's. It's super tasty, but they run about $1.80/each through my buying club. It's mashed potatoes, chives, cheddar cheese and soy bacon, in a flour burrito, according to the front of the package. Could it really be that simple?

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-14-2005, 03:08 PM

:
#3 of 5 Old 06-18-2005, 03:53 PM

I've done frozen burritos (with rice, beans, cheese) and fajitas just fine. I wrap each one in aluminum foil (you could use cling wrap for microwaveability if you wanted) and then place them in a large freezer bag. So yes, burritos and things in tortillas, in general, freeze great.

As to replicating the Matthew's burrito, why not give it a try one day when you have some leftover potatoes and the other ingredients on hand? Try making one, freeze for a week or two, and see how it is. Then you can do a bunch in bulk if they work.

HTH! Let us know how they work out.
~Nick
#4 of 5 Old 06-18-2005, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My grandmother makes some kinda chicken bean burrito thing and just rolls them up in plastic wrap and freezes them. They come out fine but I dont think I would eat them with my hands.

Seriously?
#5 of 5 Old 06-27-2005, 03:01 AM

I make breakfast burritos--scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon, and chives on tortillas. I wrap them in wax paper and store them all in a gallon-size freezer bag. When I want one, I put in in the microwave--still frozen and still wrapped in wax paper--and cook it for around 5 minutes on 60% power. The cooking time totally depends on how big the burrito is, how cold your freezer is, and what wattage your microwave is--but after a couple times, you get it figured out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page