How do u shop for food?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In addition to Costco, regular grocery store and farmers' markets, we signed up for a pick-your-own farm subscription. We are in the city, but this is a small 7 acre farm a couple of minutes off the highway. (The farmer was in construction, and was going to build houses on the land. But the city wouldn't run water & sewer there.)

Anyway, it's $125 for a year's subscription, which he estimates at 400 lbs of organic produce. What I really like is that we won't get stuff we won't use, like a CSA I participated in several years ago. The subscription will go up to $200 next year, but I think that's still a great price for organic veggies.

Plus the farmer felt bad that we missed out on the spring season and loaded me up with extras from his freezer! I've got enough greens to last through winter. A couple pounds of okra and zucchini. I think we'll be set!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#32 of 36 Old 08-01-2005, 05:52 PM

Bridget, that is sooo cool! When I lived in the city I looked an looked for a good CSA or something like you're in. Never could find anything good. Now I can grow anything and everything I want, but it sure is alot of work! We are about to plant all our fall/winter crops. I am so glad you found such a great deal! I may look into setting up a small produce stand in front of our house or something or letting ppl come and pick their own next year. This year was mostly trial to see what grows well here and stuff like that. Considering that i am harvesting around 75 toms a day and that many squash and cukes (rain came and production is UP!), I imagine I could spare a few, lol!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#33 of 36 Old 08-02-2005, 12:57 AM
cjr

I would love to find something like that here. Unfortunately we live in a place where the growing season is very short.

My IL's are trying to get a piece of land for us. We are planning on building our dream home where dh's parents live and work. It's beautiful and so peacefull. With the land paid for we will be able to build exactly what we want. One of the things I really want is a heated greenhouse. I would love to grow our own produce. We get a lot of sunshine in the winter so a heated greenhouse would let me grow some things through the winter as well. It's my dream.

I am changing the way I shop. I have decided to meal plan and shop only for what I need to fix the meals. Once every two weeks I do a big one that covers all the non-parishables I need. Then I do another big produce shop inbetween. I am spending a whole lot less. I also find that if I buy too much in bulk then I go way over budget.
#34 of 36 Old 08-21-2005, 12:44 AM

I'm trying to come up with a better way to do the food shopping around here, so thanks for this thread. I find that we do about 1-2 warehouse shopping trips a month to buy some paper products and canned good (and yes, even veggies and fruits!). Then, I end up being at the grocery store about 1x/week. I also do what some others have said here-there's a very close farmers market where I buy produce. I also buy cheese at a local cheese shop. I do a lot of running around! Seriously, though, I like a little running around. I just wish we could cut costs a little bit. I write down what I spent on food on the calendar and then I add it up at the end of the month.
#35 of 36 Old 08-21-2005, 06:19 AM

We get a pint of organic milk delivered to our doorstep daily, and eggs twice weekly. A vegetable and fruit box, with added bananas and apples, comes once a week. Meat is bought from the butchers once a month, and delivered ready for the freezer, cheese comes from the grocer when we have both time and money- maybe once a week? If that? Our vegetable box doesn't include potatoes, but we buy by the sackful, as we run out. Rice, chickpeas and lentils come from the indian grocers, as do all of our spices, and everything else comes from the local supermarket monthly- normally the co-op, sometimes home delivery from Tesco. (Walmart for Brits, essentially.) In total, I reckon I spend around 140-50 GBP on feeding a family of 4 for a month.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#36 of 36 Old 09-21-2005, 02:07 PM

HI Everyone,
I have 4 kids 7-16! so running out of fruit I can understand!
I shop every 3 months for soaps,shampoos,bathroom ideas like toothpaste,Q-tips, personal idea, face washes etc.
I shop at all 5 Store in town with coupon and sale ideas once a month. I ask when they are going to have a special on meat also when they are going to put meat that are going to need to cook now or froze!
I only buy what vegs that are in season
I shop once a week in 1 store for fruit ,bread and milk. it take 15 min and can be worked to your outting.
I keep a box of Powder Milk just incase we run out! so that I can just mix it up and chill for the morning!
I also cut up all my carrots,onions, green pappers and freeze in zip bags to save time on cooking.
TRy looking up Freezer recipes.Thay have menus for the month and you only have to cook for 2 days. works great for busy Mommies
Have a nice day,Donna

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page