Thanksgiving (Make Ahead Dishes/Menu)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-11-2005, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, no I'm not wanting to make Thanksgiving dinner now or anything, but I am worried about it. I am due near thanksgiving so we probably won't be able to go to the in-laws this year even though it's just a few hours because we don't want to be away and go into labor. So we were thinking about offering to host, but since we could possibly have to go to the hospital to have the baby right in the middle of everything we're trying to figure out if there are some things we can have pretty much ready (either totally prepared or completely assembled and just needs tossing in the oven). Even if we do this, they're probably going to make their own turkeys and pies at home as they like having the leftovers all week and it'll be too complicated to take lots of food back 4 hrs. So we're thinking we might do a ham or something and we have a good recipe that goes in the crockpot (and two crockpots) so we might be fine there, but other ham ideas are welcome too.

So does anyone have any make ahead ideas? What types of things do you make ahead for your dinners? If you were going to be doing your own traditional thanksgiving at home what kind of things might you like to have or even try at someone else's home? What kinds of things can you not imagine having thanksgiving dinner without if even if you were making your own meal too?

Please don't pelt me for bringing up Thanksgiving in July, CJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-13-2005, 03:04 AM

I haven't tried this for Thanksgiving yet (Im not giving up Ma's turkey), but....

Betty Crocker has a cookbook called: Cooking Basics: Learning to cook with confidence. This has a timetable and recipes for the turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, etc. It starts the planning 3 days ahead for Thanksgiving, and some of the dishes you can start a few days before. It is a beginner's cookbook, my favorite. : If you can check it out at the library for free, I would reccomend it for the simple recipes.

I usually bring over Sweet Potatoes, with brown sugar and pecans glazed over top.
#3 of 4 Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 AM

Let me think on this a bit...hard to think about thanksgiving it is almost 100 degrees here! LOL I'll get back to this soon
#4 of 4 Old 07-31-2005, 09:45 AM

Stuffing! Have to have stuffing! If we have Thanksgiving at my ILs, I offer to bring it because I don't like hers! lol! It freezes well, too!

You can freeze mashed potatoes, pies, turkey (make now, cut, freeze in freezer bags, defrost, and heat!)

You can make ahead rolls and freeze.

Lots of vegetable casseroles (if you do them) freeze well.

HTH some!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page