Breakfast ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-02-2005, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are in a breakfast rut! Any good breakfast ideas out there?
#2 of 4 Old 08-02-2005, 02:58 PM

We alternate between eggs w/hashbrowns and oatmeal because I just can't be creative in the morning. :LOL BUT I do have some mouth watering recipes that I got from FoodNetwork.com...

Peanut Butter and Banana Stuffed French Toast:

6 slices day-old white or wheat bread
1 to 2 ripe bananas
8 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Honey, for drizzling
4 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon dark rum
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Dash salt
Butter or oil, for frying
Powdered sugar, for topping
Maple Syrup, for topping

Remove crust from bread. Lay bread out on counter and spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each slice. Peel banana and slice enough to cover every other piece of bread. (You will be making 3 complete sandwiches). Drizzle a small amount of honey on each piece of bread that does not have banana on it. (These are the tops). Place honey drizzled piece of bread on top of a piece with bananas on it to make a sandwich. Repeat until you have made 3 sandwiches.

In a shallow medium sized bowl, gently whip, by hand, the eggs, cream, vanilla, rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

Heat skillet to medium heat, around 350 to375 degrees F, or until butter melts and begins to sizzle. Dip 1 sandwich at a time into rum batter and place into skillet. Cook until golden brown (about 3 to 4 minutes before turning) on each side. Remove from skillet and cut in 1/2 diagonally. Top with powdered sugar, butter and maple syrup.

Cherry Couscous Pudding:

1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup dried cherries
1 vanilla bean, pulp scraped
1 1/2 cups steamed couscous
1 (8-ounce) container vanilla flavored yogurt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Heat milk, sugar and cherries in medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer, remove from heat, cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Add pulp from vanilla bean to milk and whisk to combine. Pour mixture over couscous in bowl and add yogurt. Stir to combine. Divide evenly among 4 custard cups, sprinkle with cinnamon and refrigerate for 1 hour

(I imagine this would be good warm too)

Roasted Red Pepper and Potato Egg Pie:

1 large red bell pepper, seeded and halved
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball the amount
2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and halved, then thinly sliced across into half moons
1 small onion, halved, then very thinly sliced
1 small brown paper sack
8 large eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper

Preheat broiler to high. Place red pepper halves on a cookie or baking sheet. Place peppers under broiler and allow the skins to blacken all over, about 10 minutes.

While peppers are working, heat about 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add sliced potatoes and fry in oil until they begin to become tender, 5 minutes. Add onions and cook 5 minutes more. Remove potatoes and onions to a bowl using slotted spoon. Wipe out pan, return pan to heat and add remaining oil. Reduce heat to medium. Remove peppers from broiler. Leave broiler on. Place peppers in a brown paper sack and seal sack tightly. Allow peppers to stand and cool for a couple of minutes. Peel away charred skin and slice. Add peppers to potatoes and onions. Add beaten eggs to cooked vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Add mixture to the pan and cook until eggs settle and brown on the bottom. Transfer pan to broiler and allow the egg pie to brown on top and puff up.

Slide pie out of the pan and on to a serving plate. Cool slightly, then cut into 8 wedges and serve

Buttermilk Waffles:

These are SO good, make and freeze so they're ready to pop in the toaster in the morning!

2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preheat a waffle iron and lightly grease. Into a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.

In a clean bowl, beat the eggs. Add the butter and buttermilk and beat to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix well w/ beater.

Ladel the batter into the hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown and lightly crisp.
#3 of 4 Old 08-02-2005, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We are gluten/Casein free so dont' mind the brand names...

Eggs with sausage gravey on top with Rice Bread toasted/Shedd's Willow Run Margarine and hm mango jam.

Fried Eggs and hashbrowns,cubed melon.

Gorilla Munch/Koala Crisp/Panda Puffs/Amazon Frosted Flake cereal/vanilla soymilk and hm sausage Patties.

Organic Hot Rice cereal with chopped Pears and cinnamon added,vanilla soymilk and Toast with Shedds and cinnamon/sugar sprinkled on top...

Hm Quiche with sausage,bacon,onions,mushrooms and Follow Your heart cheeze...I use a hm herbed rice crust for this..

WE rotate these breakfasts...HTH

Love Mylie xx
#4 of 4 Old 08-15-2005, 01:04 PM

Yesterday I made a recipe that I think would be great with muffins, toast or pancakes and fruit or juice. You could also make the following and then put it in a tortilla or pita with cheese or salsa.

1 roll pork sausage
2lbs frozen hash browns (I used "southern" style)
12 eggs

In a large skillet, crumble and brown sausage. Do not drain. Add taters to sausage and cook through. Crack and beat 12 eggs and add to skillet (I pushed sausage and potatoes to side to cook eggs, but it isn't necessary.)

I think this is a good basic recipe you can add other things to. Onion, bell pepper, last night's veggies, etc. It makes a huge batch and you could make it Sunday and stuff pitas and tortillas the rest of the week. I thought a can of diced tomotoes might be good in here, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page