Summer Vacation is almost over- Time for a Pantry challenge! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 09-20-2005, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With canned tomatos- make a quick homemade sauce. In a med sized pot, w olive oil to cover the bottom, brown 1/2 an onion chopped and some squished fresh garlic. After five minutes add tomatos. Salt/pepper to taste add some italian spices to taste and a bit of sugar. Cover on low heat and leave for 20 minutes. Then using a hand blender, grind up contents. Presto- sauce!!

Put the sauce on top of cooked breaded chicken. Add mozzella and parmsn. Bake for 20 minutes and presto chkn parm!! Serve w a side of pasta and some homemade bread.

I canned 15 jars of sauce and tomato today. I may have to do another if this crop attacks me again :LOL

I'm slowly and surely turning over the pantry.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#32 of 54 Old 09-20-2005, 11:49 PM
g&a

I'd like to join in. We are so broke this month it's not even funny. Our pantry is not too full as we have a small kitchen and not a lot of storage space. Our freezer (just a little one) is full of individual portions of leftovers frozen so that I can take them to work for lunch (this works really well for us).

I have lots of dry beans. I have had success cooking them in the crockpot - soak over night, drain water, then put in the crockpot and fill crockpot at least 1/2 with water. I like to put in some spices in cheezecloth so I can take them out afterwards. fennel for sure as it makes the beens easier to digest. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the beens. DH doesn't like anthing not meat and potatoes, so it has to be a fairly "normal" kind of dish. Maybe Chilli but I don't have any tomato sauce.

I only have 2 packages of frozen tomato sauce. It is really runny so you need to mix it with canned, and I am right out of canned.

I have lots and lots of brown rice. But I WOH and there's just not time to cook brown rice for 65 minutes when I get home from work.

also random things that I thought would be a good idea when I bought them:
mung beans
seaweed
pumpkin
millet

any ideas??
TIA

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#33 of 54 Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 AM

You could cook the brown rice when you do have time and then keep it in the fridge for use throughout the week.
You could mix your millet with the brown rice.

Mama to 3:
#34 of 54 Old 09-21-2005, 08:25 PM
g&a

That's exactly what I do end up doing - cooking a big batch of rice on the weekend and eating it all week. What I am looking for is a recipe involving rice and beans - a good combination for protein so I wouldn't have to buy meat. I'm a protein junkie so it's sometimes tough to be frugal with the groceries.

I'm also looking for muffin recipies that are wheat free. I have lots of oats and a little spelt and buckwheat flour. plus a can of pumpkin. there has to be something I can make with that plus an egg or 2. ok, or maybe not muffins, but pudding or baked something??? I dunno.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#35 of 54 Old 09-21-2005, 08:29 PM

This is what I'm having for dinner tonight. I'm cooking brown rice. I've got black beans in the cp that I'm going to mash up and cook with some cumin, coriander, chili powder, and onion powder (I'm out of onions) oh, and some tomato paste, too. Serving that with corn tortillas, chopped tomatoes, and salsa. And a big green salad, too.

Mama to 3:
#36 of 54 Old 09-24-2005, 01:18 AM
g&a

mmmmm....isos, sounds good. I am thinking of trying some sort of mashed beans in a burrito with rice - minus the shell for me (no wheat) should make an interesting (but messy) taco salad. Maybe salad wraps with those same ingredients - I always wondered what kind of lettuce people use for those - probably not the brown wilty kind like in my fridge.

Just got 4 dozen organic eggs from "happy chickens" from a friend of ours. Anyone have ideas for crustless quiche - or using potatos or rice or something for crust?? (Or another supper idea involving eggs??)
We took away her old car which we will get $$ for at the scrap metal place and she gave us eggs. Sounds like a deal to me. She was just happy to get rid of the car.

g.

#37 of 54 Old 09-28-2005, 11:18 PM

beans beans the musical ruit....

Can I join? I know I am new here, but I think I understand the challenge. I just need to clear out the pantry cause I am moving.

I have garbanzos soaking or hummis. I have an overabundence of cous cous and black beans... white kidney beans.... grahm crackers..... baby cereal (too much)...pasta, chicken broth.

I am thinking maybe a bean soup to freeze and a cous cous dish or under some chicken I have thawing. Any interesting ideas? What can I do with all this baby cereal the baby doesn't like. We got a bunch free. I heard you can make a teething biscuit. Anyone know how? this is fun.
Sarah
#38 of 54 Old 09-29-2005, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Sarah!

If the cereal is unopened, still with a good date on it- donate to a baby drive!

All that stuff sounds yummy!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#39 of 54 Old 09-29-2005, 10:45 AM

I'll join this, but right now I am in the process of building up my pantry.......we just moved across country and have to use up a lot of food. I have some stuff, I do not want to make that many trips to the store, and the ideas from you ladies will be great!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#40 of 54 Old 09-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Been doing not too badly. Did one big grocery shop. I think October is definitely the month that we are going to be almost exclusively eating out of the pantry. Gotta use some of this stuff up before the holidays start
#41 of 54 Old 10-10-2005, 02:50 PM

Just a warning, this is going to be a long post :LOL
We have been spending too much lately, nothing we could really avoid (car accident, sister's wedding, birthdays etc etc etc) so I thought it would be a good time to really purge those cupbards and such. Funny, we just went though everything in August and we've got a lot to go through already.
I sat down this morning and figured things we could make out of what I've got with minimal additions (fresh veggies, eggs, etc)
Frozen pesto used for sauteed veggies and also for pasta.
Frozen gnocchi with frozen tomato sauce.
Frozen chx in the cp with bottled bbq sauce.
Frozen pizza dough with frozen tomato sauce and veggies we've got on hand.
I've got 3 frozen soups.
Use up orange marmalade in cookies.
Use up red curry paste with lentil curry and thai rice salad.
Use up ginger wasabi sauce with veg and tofu.
Make hoisin tempeh with those two items.
Use up pumkin butter in pancakes or some sort of baked goods.
I've got Morrocan and Pepita Simmer sauces from TJ's, good for beans and veg.
Use up the last of the choc pancake mix in muffins.
Use up the bits of rice, bulgur, and millet in a grainy tomato soup.
Cheesy bean casserole with my white beans.
Barley and Lentil Stew with my bit o barley and lentils.
Jamaican black eyed peas.
I've got lots of lentils, alphabet lentils and lentil skillet.
Pinto beans - refried beans, soup, beans and rice.
Black beans - soup, stew with corn, balsamic black beans, beans and rice, black bean salad.
Coconut corn bread.
Sunflower avocado spread.
I've got a bunch of nutritional yeast, zesty cheese spread.
Can of artichokes - artichoke hummus.
Oatmeal cookies.
Miso soup.
Frozen veg burgers, hamburger salad.
Soba noodles - asian noodle salad.

Told you there was a lot. Just needed to get it down and do it.

Mama to 3:
#42 of 54 Old 10-11-2005, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We stopped doing pantry challenge last week because DH wanted to buy more stuff. I checked my expenses for the last month and it looks like I spent $150 less on food. Not bad. I'll do it again sometime later for sure.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#43 of 54 Old 10-11-2005, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

We always use the pantry but right now w our new addition in its early development, I need to cater to its cravings...

Tonight I will use a can of chickpeas since this one likes veggies and beans for some reason and lots of green lettuce. Also sushi which will eat into my budget for sure.

#44 of 54 Old 10-11-2005, 09:44 AM

Well, things are going well here. I've been cooking from the pantry all month. We've had tacos, chicken enchilda's, breakfast foods at all times of the day :LOL , tonight is chicken casserole with mushrooms and broccoli.

I'm only buying produce and dairy from the store this month. Not even bread, I stocked up in the freezer and we have plenty. It's only the 11th, but I think we can easily do it. Even with Halloween treats to make, I think I have everything I need in the pantry!

Still on the menu for later this month: lots of homemade pizza, chili, white chili (it's finally fall here!) crockpot chicken surprise, and probably chicken parmesean. Also, I need to replenish my stock of banana bread and blueberry muffins.

Love this thread!
#45 of 54 Old 10-11-2005, 09:44 AM

I have a couple containers of oatmeal, one the old-fashion and one quick oats. Does anyone have good cookie recipes for either?
#46 of 54 Old 10-11-2005, 09:47 AM

Oh, I forgot to add, I cleaned out my pantry and reorganized. It's amazing what you find

I found two containers of cocoa. I used them to make delicious brownies. I made 2 quadruple batches. Now I have homemade brownies to take anywhere and everythinks I slaved over the oven all morning. Plus they are great for pregnancy chocolate cravings.
#47 of 54 Old 10-11-2005, 12:14 PM

Heidi and Amy - Congrats!!!!

I hear ya on the cravings, dh wasn't allowed to cook at all for the first 3 mo of pg with ds, we ate out a lot!

Mama to 3:
#48 of 54 Old 10-11-2005, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks isomoms! I have been eating out my freezer so I need to feed it again.

#49 of 54 Old 10-13-2005, 07:19 PM

I need some intense help on the kitchen homefront. I have been reading this thread on the pantry challenge. I need help learning how to cook. LOL doesn't that sound awful. Can anyone suggest a great beginners cookbook that I can learn and build on. Please IM or PM me I am new to this site so I haven't quite learned how to find the threads again once I have posted on it. Is there a way to follow a thead?

Thanks,
Emma
#50 of 54 Old 10-13-2005, 11:32 PM

I haven't been doing such a good job on this challenge lately, but Marc and I were talking last night and we've decided to "crack down" and really work at it this month. I'm going to save all of the money I save on groceries this month to go toward a chest freezer so I can start cooking once a week to make weeknights easier.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#51 of 54 Old 10-16-2005, 04:12 PM
g&a

ok, I suck at this. I usually just make a meal plan and shop for the things I will need and then get home form the store and realize I'm really no further ahead.

But here's what I have managed to do from the "pantry" (also saved from moulding in my fridge):

quiche- a friend gave us several dozen eggs (from "happy" chickens!) so we had quiche one night with leftover rice as a crust.

leftover turkey carcass and vegtables that would never have been eaten from the crisper made into stew and frozen for work lunches.

leftover hambone made into stock and leftover vegtables and leftover mashed potatoes and split peas from the pantry made into a pureed soup frozen for work lunches.

leftover mashed potatoes made into shepherd's pie - made 2 big meals for the 3 of us plus 1 lunch.

apples: my mom dropped off 2 cases. we have had apples in everything. quinoa stuffing with apples, oatmeal with apples, and fresh apple/grape juice for thanksgiving.

I still have 1 case of apples left - hoping to make apple pie to freeze and pull out of the freezer in the midle of the winter. Maybe when I have more time - I'm just beat trying to keep on top of all these leftovers from thanksgiving and taking care of a sick baby who's sleeping eratically.

phewph!
g. (going for a nap now)

#52 of 54 Old 10-16-2005, 04:19 PM

Ok, I am making dinner for 12 adults and 5 kids tonight.......out of my freezer and pantry!!! I'm making lasagna, noodles and sauce in pantry, meat and cheese in freezer. Artichoke spinach dip, also from pantry and freezer. French bread for dipping and italian bread for the lasagna in the frrezer. The only thing I had to buy at the store was ricotta cheese, eggs, and salad produce. I also had 2 batches of homemade brownies in the freezer and I made the birthcake from scratch, from my pantry. I'm so pleased with myself.
#53 of 54 Old 10-27-2005, 11:54 PM

I made some tomato soup with grains tonight to help use up my odds and ends on my multiple grains (because I buy so much says dh). Didn't turn out so well, like mush. Oh well, I tried. We did have pizza using up what we had and it was, of course, delish!

Mama to 3:
#54 of 54 Old 11-12-2005, 09:14 PM

I did really great at emptying some things from my pantry/freezer tonight. Every single ingredient in everything we ate we already had on hand from before the challenge started! We had Tilapia Almondine, a Creative Grains garlic rice/bulgar combo and broccoli. It was super tasty and one of the easiest meals I've thrown together in a while. I forget how easy the tilapia is to cook since I only have one recipe that we really like and we got sick of eating it over and over again. Anyway, I felt so good about it that I just had to share.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page