Summer Vacation is almost over- Time for a Pantry challenge! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 08-30-2005, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well Labor Day is sneaking up on us quick- its back to school, back to routine, etc etc.

Well, we have been grilling etc all summer and out pantry is piled high with stuff.

Time for a challenge!!

Who is in??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 54 Old 08-30-2005, 05:56 PM

I'll be watching, but we did our own challange last week out of neccesity and cleared everything out. And I mean everything! I was proud of myself that I was actually able to churn out a week and halfs worth of meals out of what little I had. I've got to say that my knowledge from these threads definatley helped.

Mama to 3:
#3 of 54 Old 09-01-2005, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm in! We don't have a lot of pantry stuff but I have so much stuff in the freezer. It's not going down in summer because we eat so much fresh produce and not much meat or other stuff. It's getting cool, though. Maybe we'll feel like eating all those meat and seafood I bought. (Got a huge freezer back in June and I got over-excited and stuffed it full.)

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#4 of 54 Old 09-01-2005, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Fro me its part need and part want.

For want- I want to remember how those people near New Orleans and the area are and how they have nothing. So we need to use what we have and go from there. Any one of those people would love to have my pantry right now.

For need- this gas price hike could really kick our butts. When I say us I mean society and not just my family. But we will be taking less trips to the grocery etc so I need to use what I have.

I am also feeding my freezer this week. We are double batching everything so if need be- we have everything on hand.

But most of all I started this early in the year and it really makes a difference in our family's money manners. We have no debt except for our mortgage and we like it that way.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#5 of 54 Old 09-04-2005, 11:24 AM

Ok, I'm in!

I fell off the wagon when dd started eating solids a couple of months ago and I have been spending waaaayyyy too much on food!!

So, I'm going to work on eating out of my freezer b/c I have so much piling up in there.

First on the agenda:

I have a HUGE turkey that my mom gave me in December. Is it still good? How do I cook it? I mean, I've really NEVER cooked a turkey before. What's the best way to defrost it? Anyone have any great recipes for turkey meat? Thanks so much for any tips.
#6 of 54 Old 09-06-2005, 06:13 PM

Huge, like 20 pounds or more? You'll want to defrost it in the fridge for probably 4-5 days if it's over 20 pounds. I've found the easiest way to cook a turkey is in those oven bags they sell and since I do it so rarely I don't feel too bad using the plastic bag. I'm sure you can find directions for just doing it in a roasting pan with foil if you search online. My favorite way to season a turkey is to mix olive oil, rosemary and thyme and rub it into the skin and under the skin. Just use your hand to loosen the skin and rub in lots of the mix. Then I make a sage seasoned stuffing that is so yummy. The rosemary, thyme and sage are so tasty together. Now I'm ready for Thanksgiving!

As full as my cupboards are I don't think it will be much of a challenge right now, but I'm in. Does anyone have a good white/garlic sauce recipe for pizza? I made some pizza dough and it's in the fridge waiting to be made up, but since we ate pizza at some friends' house last night I don't think we'll be wanting pizza with red sauce this week.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#7 of 54 Old 09-06-2005, 06:20 PM

I never defrost a turkey in the fridge because it takes a LONGGGGGG time. I do it in the sink overnight or a little longer.

Turkey IMO doesntr last long in a freezer for some reason.

Remember turkey broth is
#8 of 54 Old 09-06-2005, 08:54 PM

White/Garlic sauce:

3T flour mixed with a cup of milk and minced garlic..Cook slowly over the stove top until it thickens about 1o minutes..
#9 of 54 Old 09-06-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

beat me to the garlic sauce recipe!!

also try:

chicken ceasar pizza or ceasar pizza if veggie

Grilled chicken breast
mozella
grated parmasiono
ceasar dressing

top on your dough and bake. Serve w romaine lettuce salad.

this is a big hit with my teenage nephew who does not like "red pizzas". I made it over the thanksgiving/xmas holidays when he was visiting. He then called me long distance 2 mos later for the recipe. He was making it for his buddies and needed help. His mom (my sil) later told me he really talked it up so they all wanted it for their card playing night.
I consider that the ulitmate compliment when a child/teen calls for the recipe.

#10 of 54 Old 09-06-2005, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

So far- we had BLTs for dinner. Tomatoes coming out of our ears from our garden so we come up w different meals centered around tomatoes.
Also had gazpacho soup from garden veggies.

I have to make up a sauce from the tomatos this week and then can. That will add to the pantry for the winter. Usually I run out of garden sauce around april or may.

#11 of 54 Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 PM

I will be watching this thread too! I am still working on using everything in my pantry. Also, I just joined a CSA program and should get my first box of produce next week. can't wait!

michelle
#12 of 54 Old 09-08-2005, 12:08 AM

I'm in. I'm discovering all sorts of things in the cupboard. I have some tapioca pearl, so I've been making bubble tea/chocolate milk. And I found some asian snack-y type things, so I'm munching on those at work.

DH does most of the cooking, so my pantry challenge is mostly limited to snacks and work lunches. But I would love to free up some of the space and get rid of the random items.

There is some canned pumpkin - perhaps that can become muffins next week.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#13 of 54 Old 09-08-2005, 02:51 PM

im gonna try this, but just for a week at first to see how it works for me. if i do good, maybe i'll go longer next time

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#14 of 54 Old 09-08-2005, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hmm, not doing so good so far. It's P's birthday party this weekend so I already bought all sorts of stuff. At least I'm planning to use the stuff I already have as much as possible.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#15 of 54 Old 09-08-2005, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

I picked out two cans of tuna for lunches tomorrow. Also, I have some beans that I will make into refried beans for a neat little dip.

I am only buying things like dairy and fruit since we go thru it pretty quick in this house.

#16 of 54 Old 09-08-2005, 11:19 PM

Well I went to the grocery store today for fresh produce and ended up making a white pizza for dinner. It was really good, but the only things I used up in my "pantry" were the dough which I made a few days ago and didn't use all of, the onions, and the butter/olive oil/basil/wine. Ok, typing it out makes it look like I used more than it seemed like while I was cooking. Thanks for all of the white sauce recipes, btw!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#17 of 54 Old 09-09-2005, 01:37 PM

For lunch today I made wraps - Spinach tortilla (last 2 in package) with leftover rice, stray tomatoes and 1/2 an avacodo that was destined to languish in the fridge.

My husband made some chicken & rice dish last night. The chicken was from the deep freeze stash, but I don't think anything else was from the pantry. If we don't finish up the shredded chicken tonight, I'm going to pop it into some plain tortillas, maybe with beans or rice, and put those in the fridge for future lunches.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#18 of 54 Old 09-09-2005, 02:26 PM

i made lima beans in the crockpot froma bag of dried limas ive had for ever.... they were super yummy with cornbread

#19 of 54 Old 09-10-2005, 04:41 AM

I have a bunch of flour that I don't have plans for yet, but will soon:

mystery flour
spelt flour
whole wheat flour
corn flour

And lots of wheat berries.

Got rid of some mystery food, in there, and going through the frozen blueberries: blueberry muffins, smoothies. . . .

In my freezer:
Sofrito (used for puerto-rican beans) I've made, actually husband made beans once a week for the past 2 weeks.

I could go another month on the amount of sofrito we have, though I need to buy more beans. I've got some beans, lentils, barley to use up, I kept buying them at like, .69 cents a bag, which is really cheap around here, at Dags, no less. . . ..

As for the pantry, I've organized my tomatoes by type. So I'm in!
#20 of 54 Old 09-11-2005, 02:21 AM

I would lilke to join in!

We are really trying to make major budget cuts and cooking even more from scratch and using what we have should make great strides towards that. One of my goals in the near future is to get over my fear of dried beans - we eat lots of beans and buy them on sale only but even on sale canned beans are much more expensive than on sale dried beans! I am also planning on trying my hand at tortilla making!
#21 of 54 Old 09-11-2005, 09:04 AM

Speaking of dried beans...I have some black eyed peas I need to make. Can someone tell me how?
#22 of 54 Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

TCHr girl- welcome!

Can anyone post how to cook dried beans in the crock pot? Or just some recipe ideas.

Also, I have a can of beans that I want to refry to make refried beans- keep putting it off. Any ideas on what to do to "spice" it up??

#23 of 54 Old 09-11-2005, 10:46 AM

this was my first experiance of beans in a crock pot, but i soaked them overnight, and justput them in the crockpot with some seasonings, water and chicken broth....i should have added more water tho, they got kinda dry, but now i know for next time. they were on low/high at different times for about 11 hours.... i added water once, but i guess i shoulda kept a closer eye on them... oh well, they were still yummy

#24 of 54 Old 09-11-2005, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

The yummy factor is a big deal in this household so I would be fine with how they came out!

I guess I will try some beans in the crock.

#25 of 54 Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 AM

Speaking of beans, I made some burritos for the freezer.

They are made with shredded leftover chicken, monteray jack cheese that was languishing in the fridge, an onion and 2 peppers cooked with a can of pinto beans from the pantry and a little chili powder. I mushed up the beans before putting them in leftover tortillas.

And I was surprised how good they tasted when I had one for lunch today!

We've got a ton of dried beans too, I need to try cooking those up.

#26 of 54 Old 09-13-2005, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I am finding ways to use stuff up in the pantry to tone it down.

Right now this heat is ruining any chance of baking so thats next week.

We had tuna salad for lunch
A nacho dip with a can of chili and some cream cheese also
some tacos to use up the shells and this is also working as lunch this week

Dh breaded pork chops and fried them (bread crumbs) and chopped up a few of our many tomatoes, added olive oil and basil. Then on a plate of wheat speggetti (used that up!) he put the pork chop and the juices and oil form the tomatoes made up a yummy "sauce" He then took the leftovers for lunch.

Now I have to go thru our kitchen cabinets and clean out as well as the fridge too. I also want to clean the fridge inside. We also might be listing our house for sale soon so I need to start thinking of that.

#27 of 54 Old 09-14-2005, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

We are doing stir fry tonight to use some canned water chestnuts and bamboo shoots as well as this sauce I bought at TJs ( I need to avoid these things) and noodles.
For lunch I found some bagels in the freezer and pizza sauce and some zella.

this is working well.

#28 of 54 Old 09-18-2005, 03:49 PM

Hi everyone, I need to join in. Was a little overzealous feeding my deep freeze and cupboard this summer, but we ate so much fresh that now I am overstuffed. I have a million (not really) chicken breasts and tons of whole and diced canned tomatoes. Our local close out store had Muir Glen organics on sale 4/$1.00 so I have about 15 cans of each. Besides that I have lots of cheese, all different breads (bakery sales), beans, and sausage.

I think I may crockpot some chicken breast, shred it and make chicken tacos, then use the left overs to freeze up some chicken burritos with beans.

Amy, you suggested Chicken Parmesean, how would you make it with the canned tomatoes. I will make the chicken with bread crumbs, I have cheese, but I'm not sure on the sauce. I do have tomato paste to add to it.

I guess I could make Greek chicken and rice,also. That would use up some canned tomatoes and would freeze well, also.

Any other good ideas for all these canned tomatoes?
#29 of 54 Old 09-18-2005, 06:29 PM

I know it's late in the month, but mind if I jump in? We have TONS of tomatoes from our garden that I had planned to can, but I have been able to keep up with them by making big batches of spagetti sauce for our freezer (we eat a lot of pasta once the cool weather comes). Anyway I am hoping to feed my freezer, use up some food in my pantry and at the same time get some use out of my crockpot.
#30 of 54 Old 09-18-2005, 06:48 PM

I'm in on this one! I'm hoping to save at least 100 in groceries....we'll need to buy milk and cheese, but I have plenty of flour to make bread for the rest of the month The only thing going IN the pantry will be crushed tomatoes - I'm freezing them now (blanched and peeled) and then will can them up. I have freezer space but a year without canning? Blah. Today's lunch was fried rice - leftover rice, broccoli from our spring garden, some aging carrots, and some yellow tomatoes from the garden, fried up with an egg from our hens and some sesame garlic sauce. I realized that for us, buying a pre-made sauce once in a while (usually stir fry or curry) is more cost effective then keeping up with all the ingredients I would need for our Indian meals...just watch that sodium content. Dinner will be pasta mixed with tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil and some yum soft cheese - a cheap brie that was on sale (it melts down into a creamy sauce - I bought it especially for some delish tomato dishes)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page