Organizing the Pantry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-02-2005, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any tips on organizing your staples/the pantry and freezer?

I keep all my grains, flours, spices in the freezer thanks to a moth attack a few months ago. Because they are all stuffed in there, I lose track of what I have and what I need. Not only with that, but with the canned goods in my pantry as well! There have been a few times in the last couple of months that I've bought an item only to discover I still had a big bag of it in the back of the freezer. Oops.

I've been thinking about making up a list (or a spreadsheet?) of the items I have and marking them off as I use them. It seems like alot of work to start, but it could help. Does anyone else do anything like this? Or do you have any other tips for organizing and keeping the pantry well stocked?

flowersforyou.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-04-2005, 11:19 AM

One thing that helped me was "eating from the pantry". I joined a thread on here where you try to eat with only stuff in your pantry/freezer/etc. for 30 days. You only buy dairy, meat, and produce. It helped me "thin the stash" so I would know what was in there. I no longer keep more than one can of anything in my pantry, so it isn't so full anymore. This way, I'm able to keep track of what I have and use it while it's fresh.
#3 of 5 Old 09-06-2005, 01:15 PM

Post your freezer list on the freezer, fridge list on the fridge, etc.

I did do a Master List, but I don't use it. . . .I'm working on this, too.
#4 of 5 Old 09-06-2005, 09:40 PM

I've tried the lists many times and it just does not work for us, I too find it easier to live out of the pantry- like the challenge, come visit us! It cuts the clutter down and saves some money.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#5 of 5 Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

I actually took the time and did it the other day, and then posted it on my LJ! http://www.livejournal.com/users/attilathehoney

I do want to cut down on my pantry items, but I was having trouble using them because I was so overwhelmed. The list helps alot, esp. when looking for recipes. I think this is going to help me use up we have alot easier. (I had tried the pantry challenge and failed miserably, now I am armed with my inventory and ready to give it another try.)

flowersforyou.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page