Freezing yeast dough....before or after it rises? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-17-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to make some homemade rolls and mini pizzas, but I've never had much luck freezing yeast dough.

Should I let it rise first or freeze it before it rises?
#2 of 6 Old 09-17-2005, 09:03 PM

...I'd love to know the answer to this, too!
#3 of 6 Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 AM

I've been wondering this too! I just started making bread loaves but I still buy frozen rolls from the grocery store. It looks to me like theirs have risen and are partially baked, then the instructions say to bake them for about 10 more minutes. I thought I might try baking just to barely cooked/not yet golden and then freeze. If anyone else tries it first, I'd love to know how it goes!

I also saw a thread on this on the next page: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=305704. They're saying to let it rise once, then freeze, so the final prep involves 1 rise and baking. I wonder if both ways would work?

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#4 of 6 Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM

I have been successful with letting pizza dough rise and then freezing. I then let it defrost and roll it out and continue the preparation as I would have normally (top and bake).

I have one friend who freezes the bread recipe I gave her after shaping. This means she lets it defrost and rise in the loaf pan. Bakes at the nomral temperature. It works well for her.
#5 of 6 Old 10-23-2005, 11:11 AM

I can't help you with the before/after question. But my thought it to let it rise first, then punch it down and freeze. If you freeze it first, wouldn't that kill the yeast, preventing it from rising late?? I don't know. Just a thought.

BUT, I just wanted to add a tip that I learnt the hard way.
When you are thawing the dough, don't do it in the microwave. My DH always tries to thaw it quickly for pizza and ruins it. It dries out on the outside forming a hard crust. Also, parts start to cook no matter how low you put the level. So you have to pick through it ripping off the ruined bits and are left with much less than you started with. :
So just plan ahead--put it in the fridge in a plastic sealed bag. It should be a big bag in case it rises before you get to it. If it hasn't risen yet, put it in a bowl, cover it in olive (or some other oil) and cover in a tea towel. Put it in a warm place to rise.
HTH
Sandy
#6 of 6 Old 10-24-2005, 06:10 AM

ive tried freezing after the first rise, and that worked pretty well for me, so take it out, let it defrost and rise, and bake as usual

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page