Anyone canning their harvest? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its that time again- I am being attacked by my tomato garden :LOL .

We have boiled 7 potfuls of tomatos and made two pots of sauce. So its time to can all this sauce and also whole tomatos since I am out of romm in the fridge and freezer.

Anyone else canning? If yes what are canning and how?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 05:57 PM

I'm a canning newbie, but I've been doing a little this year with my MIL. We belong to a CSA which specializes in berries, so we made a TON of raspberry jam in the summer. We also just made a bunch of tomato sauce from the millions (ok not millions but it seems like it!) of tomatoes she has growing in her yard. I don't have a yard where I can grow anything, so I haven't canned anything else besides those 2 things. We just had so much tomatoes and raspberries that we HAD to can them. I've been freezing a few of our leftover veggies each week from the CSA. Also making lots of extra of squash casserole, chopped greens, etc and freezing for winter.

Its kinda fun to put things away for the wintertime. I've never done anything like that before, but I'm really looking forward to being able to have some yummy stuff that I've worked hard on in January!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#3 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 05:57 PM

I'm in the same boat with the tomatoes, and I want to ask you how you made the sauce. I'd like to make some also.
TIA

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#4 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

sauce is easy. After you boil the tomatos to get off the skin, drain them to get rid of extra water.

In a pot w enough olive oil to cover the bottom cook for 5 minutes a finely diced onion and some crushed up garlic. Add the tomatos and italian spices to your liking and salt/peppr plus a bit of sugar. If you have peppers and fresh basil in the graden add some of those too!

Cover and put on low heat. In 30 minutes stir and w an electric hand mixer grind away. Thats it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#5 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 09:40 PM

We have canned about 14 qrts of chopped tomatoes. We slipped the skins off them cut them up into hot qrt jars then water bathed them.

I right now have pears on the stove that I am going to try making pear sauce out of. I am so tired with having a baby with a slight cold that doent sleep well for the last 2 nights that I quit for the day :LOL

We need to can some creamed squash but havent gotten there yet.
To busy bringing in firewood for the winter
#6 of 13 Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 PM

I'm looking forward to getting more tomatoes this year than I have in previous years. We have a sort of a co-op deal where we can buy cases of fruit from local farmers the day that they are picked (tree-ripened or vine-ripened in the case of tomatoes) and they are delivered to a central location where we go pick up what we want.

Today it's apricots and nectarines.

Technically they aren't organic because we have a very bad problem with brown mildew here, so the trees are sprayed before the fruit sets. The fruit does, however, need to be preserved as quickly as possible after we pick it up, so I'll be pulling one of my semi-annual all nighters tonight.

I think it was 2003 when I looked at the phrase "screw bands and lids" in a rather sleep-deprived state and started laughing wondering if the people on my mainstream parenting board who saw the title of my thread would think I was reminiscing about my pot-smoking Grateful Deadhead days and expect something juicy about sexual misadventures.
#7 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 12:42 AM

This is my first year canning, so I'm taking it slowly and still freezing a lot of things instead. But my freezer is almost full, so I really need to start canning more.

I've made about two dozen jars of jam and jelly so far that I'm going to give as Christmas presents--strawberry, cherry, raspberry, and apricot. I still have gallon bags of frozen whole tomatoes in the freezer from last year that I need to thaw and make into sauce before this year's tomatoes start producing. head I hope to try my hand at canning sauerkraut and pickles. (I've already made freezer pickles.) We are going to have a ton of pears, apples, and peaches before long. I want to pressure can small potatoes to use in winter roasts., but my in-laws have scared me with stories of exploding canners, so I'm going to see if a family friend will help me the first few times.
#8 of 13 Old 07-22-2006, 10:57 PM

Well I just finished my very first adventure in canning. I made apricot jam. I got a case of apricots for $3 at the local farmers market. But what got me interested in canning in the first place was my garden. I have about a bizillion green tomatos. When they come in, I'll be a canning fool! I'm going to make salsa, tomato sauce and just plain canned tomatos. Also more jams and preserves to be given as christmas gifts. It's so satisfying to see my garden grow and know that I'll be eating that stuff all winter.

Shelley
#9 of 13 Old 07-23-2006, 01:56 AM

Quote:
"screw bands and lids" in a rather sleep-deprived state and started laughing wondering if the people on my mainstream parenting board who saw the title of my thread would think I was reminiscing about my pot-smoking Grateful Deadhead days and expect something juicy about sexual misadventures.
:

Yup, I can here too Put up some berry jam, and am just waiting for the tomatoes to come in.

Jen, from what I understand, the new pressure canners very rarely explode I do remember pressure cooker explosions when I was a kid though... talk about an impressive mess.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#10 of 13 Old 07-24-2006, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie
Jen, from what I understand, the new pressure canners very rarely explode
Good to know!
#11 of 13 Old 07-29-2006, 08:31 PM

I need to can this year!

I skipped last year because it was too hectic, and our darn condo (apartment style) is too darn hot to make boiling water canning bearable... yet, I need to can this year so we can have more organic foods in out diet (can only afford it in bulk which is perfect for canning purposes!)

Anyway, I'm going to be using a pressure canner for the first time this year. A friend of mines mother has one she doesn't use, so I've been offered to use it

I'd love to make pasta sauce (we use about 1 jar per week) and I think my pasta sauce would taste better than the commercial sauces anyway Of course, I don't have a recipes yet!

Anyone have a great recipe for homemade pasta sauce?

Also, would love to get a recipe for Salsa. We don't eat much salsa around here, but my friend (the one who's loaning me the pressure canner) would love a tried and tested recipe.

I need to do more research on pressure canning...
#12 of 13 Old 08-05-2006, 06:10 PM

We use a lot of pasta sauce too. Last year I put up 24 quarts and it was gone way before spring.

I make basic past sauce a few different ways. I like to have plain canned tomatoes to make salsa and quick "fresh" sauce. I make a base sauce of cooked peeled tomatoes, a little sugar (some people leave this out, but when we made it for our catering business no one liked the sugar free), basil and oregano to taste, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil and tomato paste. Pretty much you can add anything you want to the sauce. I make some with some or all of the following; onions, peppers, mushrooms, extra garlic, black olives, and cheese (hard grated). Some of it I make more chunky maranara style, and some I make smooth (for DS who dislikes chunks of tomato). The smooth stuff I add carrots, onions and peppers... it all cooks down soft and you can grind it together.

HTH and good luck with the pressure canner!!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#13 of 13 Old 08-10-2006, 11:19 AM

answers to most all canning questions can be found in the canning bible titled "putting food by". Its a staple on every self sufficient newenglander's bookshelf. we have 56 tomato plants and i am 7 months preg. its going to be a few hot weeks over the stove for me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page