Mothering Forum banner

28 lbs. of deer sausage!!! HELP!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mamalex 
#1 ·
we're somewhat new to eating some meat, and recently i told a hunting co-worker of dh's that we'd be open to taking any game that he needed to get rid of. well, lo and behold, he sent us home with 28lbs. of deer sausage and a handful of loins. much of the stuff is a few years old, but it has been in a deep freezer. it seems that he enjoys killing the creature but not eating it?

anyway, i need ideas for cooking it. there's only so much you can do with sausage IMO. thanks for any recipes...

#2 ·
Well, you can always send some of it to me.
What a boon.

Barring that, you can, in addition to eating it as plain ol' sausage for breakfast, use it in soups (white bean, beans-and-greens), sausage gravy (with biscuits...
), or as an ingredient in stuffing. Use the stuffing to stuff not only chicken/turkey, but also winter squashes like acorn or butternut. Sausage and apples are a great combination, so you could use those in your stuffing. Or make pigs-in-a-blanket. Combine with ground beef or turkey for meatballs to use in spaghetti, Italian wedding soup, meatballs and gravy, meatball pizza. Or just cook and crumble the sausage for a pizza topping.

I hope some of these ideas help! Have fun.

~Nick

#3 ·
Cook and crumble added to spaghetti sauce, chili, soups, pizza, scrambled eggs, mac and cheese.
Cook in patties and have subs.
Loin: gently cook with butter, green peppers, onion, and mushrooms, serve with mashed taters It's one of my favorite meals!
The key with the loin is to not overcook it. A lot of people grimace, but it's best served with a small trace of pink in the middle. If you over cook it, you have leather.

#5 ·
For the loin; slice it real thin, put it in the crock pot w/ some broccoli, a packet of brown gravy mix substituting 1/2 the water with either soy sauce or terayki sauce, add what ever extra veggies you like, cook, serve over rice. You have home-made broccoli beef like you get from the Chinese restaurant. If you have a food dehydrator you could also make jerky. I'm sure there are pretty of websites w/ directions and recipes. Great source of protein and kids looooove
jerky.

IMO you got the best you can get from a deer, sausage and loins. The loins are one of the best cuts. Sausage is great because it has been spiced up a bit and probably hides some of the "gamey" taste. The PPs had great ideas for the sausage.

Anytime you can put game in the crock pot and let it cook w/ a bunch of other flavors, the better it turns out. Most of the taste that turns people off is gone after a day in the crockpot. Game is so much healthier than beef or chicken. It is very lean, hardly any hormones or chemicals, and very very cheap, especially if who ever hunts it gives you some for free.

If you end up liking the deer, try buffalo. It is less "gamey" and just as healthy but is more like beef than deer meat is.

#7 ·
great advice on the slow cooker...let's see, so far i've made shepherd's pie, spagetti, italian wedding soup. i've traded some for fresh milk and am going to trade some more for some organic, local pork. we made some a few months ago into jerky and plan to do that again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.