Mothering Forum banner

Embarassing Question Regarding Freezing Produce

796 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sharlla 
#1 ·
I just shelled out $200 on organic and other natural foods at our local supermarket that would maybe hold us out for 1.5 to 2 weeks, tops. OUCH!! The produce is outrageously expensive and I was thinking about doing a CSA next year.

However I am concerned that we will not use all the food and will go to waste.

Has anyone ever tried one of those cheesy vacuum-sealing devices and bags? We have a storage freezer in our garage that we can crank up and figured whatever I do not use I can store in the freezer for winter.

Are there other ways to freeze fresh produce?

I feel like a complete moron,
but thanks for any input!

See less See more
#2 ·
I love, love, love, love my vacuum sealer. It came with a guide to freezing produce. Somethings work better than others. It has been a while since I did produce but I am pretty sure that most of it required blanching prior to freezing.

#4 ·
I don't have a vacuum sealer but I have used them at one job that I had and they work great. I have used those really good glad bags with produce and just sucked the air out with a straw (sealed up around the straw, suck out air and pull the straw up and snap shut reawl quick, and that has prolonged the life of my veggies triple time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.