Mothering Forum banner

meat-free recipies

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  JustVanessa 
#1 ·
Any of you mammas have a good link for vegitarian meals? I need to eat less meat cuz its killing our grocery budget

#2 ·
Don't know any good links, but here are a few ideas...

Anything Mexican can be made with beans instead. That's a complete protein if you have whole grain tortillas. (We love the Ezekiel ones!) So bean tacos, burritoes with rice and beans and a bit of cheese and salsa on top baked, fajitas with sauteed peppers and onions served on a tortilla with black beans, cheese, salsa etc

Broccoli cheese rice casserole - cook 1 or 2 cups dry rice, add a can of cream of mushroom soup (Amy's brand is yummy and no MSG) and some sharp cheddar cheese and steamed broccoli (I steam it in the microwave til it's crisp tender). Mix in a casserole dish and bake til slightly browned from the cheese.

A big pot of chili or soup with beans (bean soup, minestrone soup, veggie soup with beans etc).

Cauliflower Paprikash - saute a finely sliced onion and then add a finely sliced pepper, 1/2 cup white wine or sherry and 1/2 cup water. When pepper is almost tender add about 5 cups chopped mushrooms and then while that begins to cook slice up a head of cauliflower small and add. (Oh, and add 2 tbsp of paprika when you add the liquids.) Cover and let simmer til done. Then add in 1 cup sour cream (low fat is good). Serve over brown rice for added nutrition and protein or over egg noodles. Add salt and pepper to taste. This is from the Moosewood Cookbook

We LOVE homemade pizza! Espec with some sundried tomatoes and feta with the mozzarella or with greens sauteed with lots of garlic added to it.

Pasta dishes such as stuffed shells, ravioli, tortellini etc

I am a vegetarian so I can think of tons of ideas. If you eat meat tho (I prefer fuzzy animals alive) you can add it in small bits to things rather than making it the main course.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

#3 ·
I'm a big fan of www.vegweb.com. If you register you can save recipes to a "recipe box" and set up a weekly meal planner and shopping list. Those tools help me a lot with food bugeting.

Try the Injedra! Lentils, rice and onions. It's super cheap but sooo good! We have it like once a week now.

#4 ·
I like a vegetable pot pie. Easy to make, throw in whatever veggies you normally like in a pot pie (I use my blender to blend up veggies that dd and dh wont eat and sneak them in there, they never notice). Then when I'm feeling really lazy I use one of those vegetarian brown sauces from a packet. Or theres all kinds of different sauce ideas that you could use. Bake in pie crust and it's so good that nobody even misses the meat.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Attached Mama
can be made with beans instead. That's a complete protein if you have whole grain tortillas.
Actually, beans are a complete protein all by themselves.
Protein combining has never been proven to be effective -- or necessary -- in humans. A Google search on the term will bring up lots of links.

As to the vegetarian meals, I second the suggestion of VegWeb. I like that site because there are reviews. Also try:

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/
www.RecipeSource.com
www.theppk.com

HTH!
~Nick

#6 ·
Bean soups are great and pretty much naturally vegetarian - split pea soup, black bean soup, minestrone, squash and white bean, lentil, chili, tortilla soup etc.

I have recipes for any of those if you want.

Also - rice and bean burritos are always popular with my family (not to mention they're so easy to make).

Also, check out the vegetarian living thread here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=391796 for ideas.

#9 ·
I forgot about this thread until I got a note in my email that it was bumped.

I would love to use beans more. I even bought some.....now if I could only figure out how to cook with them
Do you really have to soak them over night?

I made some really yummy asaparagus, carrot and bean barritos. Thanks for the vegweb link. I used canned beans for those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.