How about a Nourishing Traditions meal planning thread? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 143 Old 04-05-2006, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
HI ladies,
I've been lurking on this thread, fascinated. I'm planning on getting the book from my library this weekend, but I wondered if anyone cared to share their version of why it's important to soak grains and ferment beans? I've hung out some on the Healing the Gut thread, and they're big on it too for digestability.
soaking reduces phytates and makes the nutrition in grains/legumes/seeds more available to your body. It helps to release valueable nutrients that would otherwise remain bound up. It also allows your body to absorb nutrients more fully from other foods which could otherwise be blocked by phytates.
#62 of 143 Old 04-05-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
HI ladies,
I've been lurking on this thread, fascinated. I'm planning on getting the book from my library this weekend, but I wondered if anyone cared to share their version of why it's important to soak grains and ferment beans? I've hung out some on the Healing the Gut thread, and they're big on it too for digestability.
soaking reduces phytates and makes the nutrition in grains/legumes/seeds more available to your body. It helps to release valueable nutrients that would otherwise remain bound up. It also allows your body to absorb nutrients more fully from other foods which could otherwise be blocked by phytates.

NT describes it much better than I can though!
#63 of 143 Old 04-18-2006, 10:38 PM

This thread inspired me this week. I made out a meal plan. I'll just share the dinner part. We usually have eggs for breakfast or smoothies, with kefir and kefir sodas. For lunch it is usually "nibbles".
For all of the recipes we add condiments like; cultured cream/creme fraiche, cultured vegis, sometimes sour dough bread, carrots, and raw goat cheese. We do a lot of soups, it is an opportunity to get some stock into my picky ds. Tonight he gobbeled up his dinner!
Tuesday- asparagus soup
weds/thurs- sweet and sour chicken and buttered broccoli ( new vegetable on thursday)
fri- easy pizzas (we just discovered french meadows pizza crust) with goat cheese
sat- I am going to try the breakfast pastries in the morning
spinach pastries for dinner
sunday- potroast
Seems pretty simple, I have to make this as easy as possible to work for us and not get burnt out! I have been buying French meadows sourdough bread and I am hoping to try making my own soon. Thanks for inspiring me!
-Lizzie
#64 of 143 Old 05-21-2006, 01:35 AM

<I will post this info again -- paraphrased -- when I have some time.> T.
#65 of 143 Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 AM

Thank you, everyone, for all the information and inspiration! I am a beginner NTer, but dedicated. Hibou, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to share your bread recipe/procedure? It sounds wonderful. My ds is sensitive to wheat, so I'd probably sub with spelt. Do you think it would work ok? Thank you!
#66 of 143 Old 05-21-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheresa
Here's the cereal recipe. The five grains are spelt, barley, kamut, rye, and oat. I get the whole grains, mix equal amounts together, and soak them 24 hrs in whey/water. After rinsing really well, I dry them for about 45 minutes in my dehydrater. This short dry time allows me to flake them rather effortlessly without resulting in a lot of powder. Then, back into the dehydrater they go for another couple of hours to finish drying. I keep the setting at around 100 degreees. At this point they are bagged and stored in the fridge until I need them. When I make this, I make a whole lot at a time so it lasts a while. When I want cereal I simply bring salt water to a boil, add the cereal and raisins, cover and reduce the heat to low for about 45 minutes. I usually do cereal on Mondays so I will start it as soon as I get up so it's ready @ our normal breakfast time. Here's how it's served. A dollop of raw butter in the bowl, then the cereal, a sprinkle of cinnamon, a spoonful of raw honey in the center, a good splash of raw milk, and crumbled walnuts (NT-style) on top. YUMMMM!! I hear my two-year old munchie waking up so I gotta go, but I will post my smoothie recipe later.

motheresa -- you mention flaking the grains after drying them. How do you do that?
#67 of 143 Old 05-21-2006, 11:29 AM

Is anyone familiar with Sue Gregg and her cookbooks?
http://www.suegregg.com

It looks like she may be NT compatible -- does anyone know for certain? I was considering purchasing her cookbooks, but wanted some input if anyone has any. Thanks!
#68 of 143 Old 05-24-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americle
Thank you, everyone, for all the information and inspiration! I am a beginner NTer, but dedicated. Hibou, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to share your bread recipe/procedure? It sounds wonderful. My ds is sensitive to wheat, so I'd probably sub with spelt. Do you think it would work ok? Thank you!
Are you looking for a soaked bread or sourdough bread recipe? I've never baked with spelt. Either way, it should work, i think. Been meaning to try spelt sometime. Some people who are sensitive to wheat are fine with soaked/sourdough wheat.
#69 of 143 Old 05-24-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americle
Is anyone familiar with Sue Gregg and her cookbooks?
http://www.suegregg.com

It looks like she may be NT compatible -- does anyone know for certain? I was considering purchasing her cookbooks, but wanted some input if anyone has any. Thanks!
It depends. It sounds like her ingredients are NT-compatible, but her methods may not be. Just using whole foods isn't NT, but it's a step in the right direction.
#70 of 143 Old 07-28-2006, 09:13 PM

I just wanted to bump this up. I just found it and I think it's great! I'm trying to learn the NT ways. Unfortunatly the only raw milk near here is over an hour away. I want to get a goat but DH doesn't want to til our house is built. Anyways all this is facinating to me and definatly helpful as when I eat a conventional diet I have severe intestineal problems.
#71 of 143 Old 07-30-2006, 06:11 PM

There is actually a Traditional foods forum now You might try looking around there too! Here ya go: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=365

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#72 of 143 Old 08-03-2006, 07:16 PM

:

I've been hanging out on the 'other' traditional foods thread...didn't realize this was here.

Wondering if anyone would share some recipes with a NT newbie? I have NT, but looking for more....

Thank you!!
#73 of 143 Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 AM

Hello!

Unfortunately, Sue Gregg is not completely NT-compatible....I have her entire set...so feel free to ask questions.

She is very PRO-soaking and low-sugar. BUT, she has bought into the "Canola Oil is good" scam. :-( If you are looking for a GOOD set of Whole Food cookbooks that can be "tweeked"...this is a great set.

I have a quick question...I read that soaking can be done wiht vinegar instead of lemon...anyone done this? I don't currently have any buttermilk or lemon juice on hand.

Thank you!

Mrs Bernstein
#74 of 143 Old 08-10-2006, 09:49 PM

WOW....I am new here and just found this thread. I LOVE doing NT meal plans.

I just found out we are expecting baby #4 so I don't know how many meal plans I will be doing but here is my most recent one.

Stump Pantry Challenge Meal Plan -
Daily Supplements: JP+ 2 fruits, 2 veggies, 2 Vineyard, 2 CLO, 1/2 tsp BO, 1 Liver, 1 Primal Def, 1/2 tsp Bitters, 1tsp coconut oil before each meal

Monday
B: Cereal w/milk
L: Egg Salad, apples & pie
D: Hot & Spicy Chicken, stir-fry veggies & NT brown rice
D: Birthday Cake
Prep: Soak Oatmeal

Tuesday
B: Baked Oatmeal (1 blueberries & 1 plain)
L: Lunch at Stump's
D: Fo's Homemade Pizza (Renee MNO)
D: Popcorn & Birthday cake
Prep: Buy 2lbs ground beef & 1 doz eggs

Wednesday
B: Veggie Loaded Frittatas
L: Sandwiches
D: Paula Dean's Baked Spaghetti, Marinated Carrots, Salad & Garlic Bread
D: Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep: Soak rice & defrost Hot dogs

Thursday
B: Leftover Baked Oatmeal w/butter & syrup
L: Beef Ravioli's, Veggie Sauce, Steamed Broccoli, & buttered bread
D: Grassfed Beef hotdogs, NT apple sauce & fries
Prep: Soak & Sprout beans for Sat.

Friday
B: Cereal w/raw milk & fruit
L: Mediteranian Style Zucchini & NT Brown Rice
D: Leftovers
D: Leftovers
Prep: (early in day...cook rice, change water & sprout beans) Save 1 meal of rice for Sat & freeze leftovers.

Saturday
B: Eggs, Hashbrowns & Sausage
L: Leftovers/Sandwiches
D: Jenny's Coconut Bean Crockpot meal & NT Brown rice
D: Pie
Prep: Buy 2 whole chickens (sunday) & 2lbs ground beef
#75 of 143 Old 08-13-2006, 07:13 PM

:

I am just getting back into NT, just as we start Kindergarten and a different teaching position for me. These weekly menus are very helpful to me!
#76 of 143 Old 08-21-2006, 07:19 PM

Hello all. I'm new here and well to be honest I don't even have children yet- though I'm happily married and will one day. At any rate, I have been absolutely fascinated with NT since my mother loaned it to me and have experienced a radical shift in my thinking of nutrition. Here was my menu last week:

Fri night soak crepe batter

Sat. B: Soaked wheat flour crepes with yogurt cheese and berries, turkey sausage
L: Chicken soup, kefir
D: Raw cheese quesadilla on Ez. 4:9 tortillas, cantaloupe
Sat pm tasks soak muffin batter, start chicken stock, make cortido (Latin American sauerkraut)

Sun.B: Soaked wheat flour blueberry muffins with butter and raw honey
L: Thai Out: coconut-fish soup, fermented green papaya salad
D: Grilled raw cheese on Ezekiel 4:9 bread (I work full-time as well so don't have time to make bread. This bread does contain natural yeast...however it is made of sprouted grains so is the best one can do buying bread), cantaloupe
Sun AM soak oaks
Sun night make sandwiches

Mon. AM soak brown rice
Mon.B: Soaked steel-cut oats with butter, maple syrup and raw milk
L: Raw cheese on Ez. 4:9 bread w/ spring lettuce and tomatoes, peach
D: Baked chicken and salmon with soy-sauce marinade, home-made mango salsa, brown rice
indian sauteed spinach (plenty of butter, garlic, ginger, curry powder, onions and jalapeno)
Mon. PM make curried chicken salad

Tues.B: Whole yogurt with sliced bananas, chopped raw almonds and a bit of maple syrup
L: Curried chicken salad on field greens
D: Lentil-Rice casserole with grated raw cheese, steamed broccoli with butter

Wed.B: Eggs and Ez. 4:9 toast with butter and raw honey
L: (cheated) Trader Joe's Turkey Sausage Stromboli
D: Green Chicken Enchiladas, field greens with tomatoes, coritdo
Wed. PM task soak oatmeal
Boil eggs and make egg salad sandwiches

Thurs.B: Oats
L: Egg salad sandwiches (on Ez. 4:9 bread), fruit, celery with peanut butter
D: Coconut-Chicken soup, Pad Thai noodles with vegetables

Fri.B: Cereal (cheated- woke up too late to make anything)
L: Fresh tomato, basil and mozerella salad, peanut-butter and raw honey on Ez 4:9 bread, kefir
D: Out (cheated- had white rice with my Mongolian beef- blah)

Does anyone have any tips on budget NT cooking beyond the tips in the book? I am spending nearly twice as much money on groceries now that I am buying everything raw, organic and free-range. It is worth it ofcourse, but just wondering how others budget this out? Also, does anyone live in the Palm Springs or even Riverside/San Bernardino areas of Southern California have any pointers or resources? We are blessed to have a Clarks Nutrition now (healthfood store the size of a supermarket) but no dairy farms in Palm Springs so one must pay $6.89 for 1/2 gallon of Organic Pastures raw milk and $7.50 for 8 oz of their butter. All in all- I figure eating whole foods now will minimize healthcare costs later!

-Nicole

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#77 of 143 Old 09-03-2006, 02:07 AM

This is great! thanks. I did a general search for NT meal plans and found this. woo!

I am reading these menu plans and am in awe. I am pretty into NT but still just can't get myself to plan. wow. This is something I need to focus on and study and learn how to do. Does not come naturally!!

I've been making rugaleh pretty regularly. my mother gave me a kitchen-aid recently for my birthday and woohoo, that makes things easy.

I have raw milk and mainly make cottage/cream cheese with the sour. (for some reason my milk almost always goes sour towards the end of the week - we get it once a week and the last 1/2 gal or so goes sour - more or less depending on how fast we have drunk it. I wonder if this will get better as the weather gets colder - i think the souring has something to do with the warm weather transfer)

I usually make very poorly made kefir (ie never stir, I think the bottom ends up being think sour milk) But I do use that for soaking pancakes. Pancakes are sooooo much better with something thick used to soak - thin sour milk or buttermilk makes very poor pancakes.

I would like to make the fermented carrots again. I made them once when I was new to nt and they ended up going slimy. weird. and gross.

Thanks for the inspiration on the fermented veges. and the menu plans. I really need to print them out too and see what I can make of them. (it is possible to learn, with focus and practice, I am sure)

love to you wonderful NT mama chefs!
Jennifer
#78 of 143 Old 09-26-2006, 09:30 PM

I am so excited that I found this forum - I have been dissatified with my families nutrition for a while and am so inspired by everything that has been discussed! I had never heard of NT before tonight and I'm planning on getting the book from the library tomorrow! Thanks again, the posts have been very informative:
#79 of 143 Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 PM
*Di

Hi -
Just wanted to add a few things that I found that are available for purchase, which saves time, especially since I'm just starting the whole NT thing saving any step is great !

- I found a farm (also online) that cleans their whole grains (not with water, but somehow with "air") prior to packaging, so when you grind it, you don't have to worry about first washing them and then drying, etc. It's http://www.paulsgrains.com

- After my first experience with skinning hazelsnut last night, I found a reasonably priced nut site that sells hazelnuts or almonds already blanched. It's http://www.superiornutstore.com/16rawblfi.html

- Then, locally, I found a organic/grass-fed meat shop which also sells bone stocks and some lacto-fermented vegetables. You could ask around the town/city where you live and maybe also find a good shop like this.

Best of Luck Everyone
#80 of 143 Old 10-12-2006, 12:17 AM
*Di

Does anyone know....
if you soak the flour (with water/buttermilk) that you use to make muffins or pancakes or crepes, is the taste pleasant and not sour ? The reason I ask is because I actually don't have children, but care full-time for an elderly person who is a very picky eater just like kids are
TIA !
#81 of 143 Old 10-14-2006, 02:21 AM

I've been : here for the past few weeks to get some inspiration. Loved seeing all the different meal plans. At some point if I'm brave enough I'll post one of mine. What ultimately helped me out in keeping things straight (and not forgetting to soak something ahead of time) was working out a meal plan on a spreadsheet. I've got it hung up on my fridge. I get a week at a glance which really helps!
#82 of 143 Old 11-06-2006, 05:53 PM

Any more ideas and hints? I've got menu plans and other helpful info and spreadsheets posted on my website.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#83 of 143 Old 11-15-2006, 02:02 AM

Hey great website, Kerryann! I'm going to be studying it more closely when I have time, and will keep you posted if I have any ideas to offer (like curries...we do lots of curries with coconut milk)

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#84 of 143 Old 11-15-2006, 10:52 PM

KerryAnn! I LOVE your website!!! Thank you so much, what a big help it has been. I was sick on Monday, and my husband made the chicken nuggets. He is SO not great in the kitchen, but he followed the recipe and they turned out wonderfully! I also made your recipe for crockpot beef fajitas. I didn't have all the ingredients, so I improvised a bit, but they turned out awesome too. My ds has a soy and egg allergy, so I will definitely be utlizing your recipes for your soy/egg free recipes.
#85 of 143 Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the compliments, mamas. I needed it since I've been so sick lately and I'm pretty down. After four and a half months of barely being human, everything feels like it's fallen down around my ears, you know?

I'd LOVE some curry recipes. I've never tried curry before, but my best friend RAVES about it, so I've decided I must try it. Problem is, she's five hours away and with my food allergies, going out to eat is impossible once I am able to go visit her. So if someone could give me a TNT recipe I'd give it a whirl.

Thanks!

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#86 of 143 Old 11-18-2006, 01:12 AM
*Di

Yea... I love your website too - thank you !!!

I have one dal curry that I really like... right now it's not NT but I think to make it NT you would just need to soak the lentil overnight.

Here it is and if you like it feel free to post it on your website (and don't have to include my name of course

Indian Dal

- saute 1 onion in about 2 Tbl. ghee/butter (in med-size pot)

- Add to pot:
- 3 c. water

- 1 1/3 c. toor dal or red lentils

- 2 diced fresh tomatos (or 8 - 10 oz. diced canned tomatos)

- 1 Tbl. minced fresh ginger

- 1/4 tsp. hot chili powder (ie, like cayenne pepper)

- 1 tsp. ground coriander -
(I grind whole coriander for this... tastes wonderful! )

- 1/2 tsp. tumeric

- 1/2 tsp. salt or 1 1/2 tsp. veg bouillon
(I like Better then Bouillon Org. Veg. brand)

- Simmer covered for 20 - 30 min or until tender.

- In small frying pan, saute
- 2 Tbl. ghee/coconut oil
- add 1 tsp. mustard seeds and cook until they pop
(but be very careful not to burn - as soon as a few pop, take off stove).

- Add the mustard seed mixture to lentils, and also add 10-20 crushed curry leaves and cook 5 minutes more and it's done - Enjoy !

(Note: whole curry leaves look like bay leaves, and can be found in Indian groc.)
#87 of 143 Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 AM

I'm not sure where I got this recipe from (I was thinking it was from your site actually) which I LOVE, but my family really likes it:
Coconut Chicken Curry (Crock-pot)
2 lbs boneless chicken, cubed
2 cups chickpeas, soaked and cooked according to NT
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbs curry powder
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can coconut milk
1 cup chicken stock
2 tsp. hot sauce, optional
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with the juice
1 package (10-14 oz) frozen veggies of your choice

Saute the chicken and onions together in a skillet with a little oil until the onions are soft and the chicken is browned. Add the curry powder and cook for one minute. Scrape into the crock pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add potatoes, coconut milk, stock, hot sauce, tomatoes, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours. About 1/2 an hour before serving, stir in frozen veggies. Serve over cooked rice.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#88 of 143 Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Once I fell inlove with Indian and Thai cuisine and their countless varieties of curries, I started experimenting at home with them. They are easily adaptable to TF/NT principles and you can adjust them to suit your taste. The basis of coconut milk, plenty of ghee, stock in the sauce and soaked legumes are already TF/NT friendly....as is all the research of the health benefits of the staple spices in Indian curries (tumeric, cinnamon, chiles, black pepper, cilantro). With a bit of creativity the possibilities are endless....in India each family makes their own unique blend of Garam Masala...just to give you an idea!

My favorites so far (all my recipes are per 2 servings...ofcourse you can easily multiply. Disclaimer: measurements are not exact...I was raised with a chef Dad who taught me to throw a bit of this and that in there...so please adjust to suit!).

Chicken Curry

2 chicken breasts
1 TBLSP lemon juice
1 TBLSP coconut oil
1 TBLSP butter or ghee
1/4 c. diced onions
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. minced jalapeno (take or leave the seeds, depending on your taste)
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ginger, grated
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. can diced tomatoes
1/4 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. yogurt or coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste

Cube chicken and marinate for several hours in lemon juice. Pat dry and saute in coconut oil until done. In a seperate pan saute onions and jalapeno in butter for a few minutes, add garlic, ginger and spices and saute another minute. Add chicken to pan and add stock and tomatoes. Stir well (scrape pan to get all the browned onion bits up). If using coconut milk add now as well. Simmer for several minutes. If using yogurt, stir in at the end. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with homeade chutney.

Lamb Curry
(Crockpot)

3/4 lb. lamb, chopped
2 TBLSP lemon juice
2 TBLSP butter or ghee
1/4 c. onions
1 tsp. minced jalapeno
1 tsp. ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic
1 TBLSP curry powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c. can diced tomatoes
1/2 c. beef or lamb stock
1/4 c. yogurt
salt and pepper to taste.

Marinate lamb in lemon juice overnight. Saute onions and jalapeno in 1 TBLSP of the butter, add garlic, ginger and curry powder after a few minutes. Add the other 1 TBLSP of butter. Dry lamb and saute in this mixture until browned. Transfer into a heated crockpot. Add tomatoes and stock. Stew on low for 4 hours. Add cinnamon near end of cooking time. Add salt and pepper (I usually add more curry powder as well) to tsate. Stir in yogurt when done.

Thai Coconut Vegetable Curry

2 cups assorted vegetables (I like carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, zuchinni and peas together), chopped into nearly equal sized peices
1 TBLSP each coconut oil and butter
1/4 c. onion, diced
1 tsp. jalapeno, minced
2 tsp. ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. coconut milk
1 TBLSP lime juice and 1 tsp lime rind
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
2 tsp. Rapadura (optional) (I realized Thai curries are delicious in restaraunts because they sweeten them...bummer)

Saute onions in butter and coconut oil for a few minutes. Add jalapeno, garlic and ginger. Saute another minute. Add vegetables and saute on low for a few minute until crisp-tender. Add coconut milk, lime juice and lime rind. Simmer for 10 minutes or so until coconut milk is reduced and vegetables are fairly tender. Add cilantro and cook for a minute or 2 more. Add Rapadura, if desired. Good with rice and chicken or tempeh with peanut sauce...as well as homeade chutney for enzymes!

#89 of 143 Old 11-26-2006, 09:01 AM

Thank you ladies, I have been lurking on your thread. Let me share my "curried anything" recipe given to me by my punjabi friends:

take your food processor out of the cupboard and put in:
-1 or 2 onions, quartered
-half a head of garlic, peeled
-inch chunk of ginger, peeled
-jalapeno pepper to taste

whiz until it's small, but not soup

heat up butter or coconut oil in a cast iron pan and throw in a tsp of cumin seeds (opt) until they're fragrant, then add the onion mix and saute over medium heat. Stir it occassionally, turn the heat down if it's browning quickly, and cook until the onions reduce and it looks oily again, y'kwim? I find browned onions hard to digest, so I aim for golden ones.

add:
-1 tbsp powdered cumin
-1 tbsp powdered coriander
-1 tbsp powdered garam masala spice mix (or 1/2 tsp each of powdered cloves, cinnamon, ginger)
-1 tsp powdered turmeric
-salt
-tbsp of tomato paste, if it appeals to you

and stir gently as the spices are absorbed and gently cooked into the onion sauce (~4 min), longer if you've added the tomato paste. take it off the heat.

Next is the fun part, add it to whatever you have and want to eat. Here are some ideas:

-soaked and cooked lentils or beans. adjust the seasoning and add a squeeze of lemon juice or some veggies if it's a dal soup, or cook it up to absorb the flavours if it's a drier legume dish.

-any mix of raw veggies, chopped up to whatever size, mixed with the onion paste and cooked in the oven in a covered cassserole dish.

-cook any meat in it and eat as is, or added to soaked rice with stock to make a pilaf

-make more of the onion paste and divide it up into different dishes and slightly tweak their flavours (with fresh cilantro, lemon juice, tamarind paste, coconut milk, etc)

The flavours of the base meats and veggies you use will shine through and you'll have a fabulous feast!! We have our indian feast every friday night
#90 of 143 Old 12-15-2006, 04:39 PM

I'm new to NT, and I'm slowly adding meat-foods back to my diet. Here's our plan for 12/15 - 12/25. We're out of town next weekend so that made things a little bit tricky. What do you think?

Friday
Dinner: Mujadarrah, Tomato Salad, Yogurt

Evening Prep: Soak Oats, Soak Chickpeas, Soak Seeds, Soak Flour for Pita Bread, Feed and Change Sourdough Pet, Bake Bread, Make Mayonnaise

Saturday

Breakfast: Coddled Eggs with Fresh Herbs, Baked Oatmeal,
Lunch: Roast Beef Sandwiches with Raw Cheddar, Onions, Tomatoes
Dinner: Falafel, Pita Bread, Yogurt, Feta Cheese and

Evening Prep: Soak Oats, Soak Seeds, Soak Rice, Soak Black Beans, Prep Sauerkraut, Feed and Change Sourdough Pet, Boil Eggs and Cool, Soak Flour for Muffins

Sunday
Breakfast: Egg-battered French Toast with Maple Syrup and Yogurt
Lunch: Spinach Soufflé with Red Pepper Sauce, Steamed Carrots, Green Salad with Raw Cider Vinaigrette
Dinner: Sashimi, Pickled Ginger, Miso Soup, Brown Rice

Evening Prep: Start Black Bean Soup in Crock, Make Granola, Slice Veggies for Crudités, Prep Egg Salad, Bake Muffins, Make Spreadable Butter, Feed and Change Sourdough Pet, Check Kraut

Monday
Breakfast: Sweet Potato and Date Muffins, Butter
Lunch: Egg Salad Sandwiches, Crudité Tray
Dinner: Black Bean Soup, Tomato and Cilantro Salad, Corn Tortillas, Sour Cream

Evening Prep: Soak Chickpeas, Soak rice, Soak Lentils, Soak Flour for Bread, Feed and Change Sourdough Pet, Thaw Turkey, Freeze Leftover Black Bean Soup, Check Kraut

Tuesday
Breakfast: Granola, Yoghurt
Lunch: Black Bean Soup, Sour Cream, Green Salad with Raw Cider Vinaigrette
Dinner: Chickpea Curry, Rice, Coconut Milk

Evening Prep: Start Lentil Stew in Crock, Feed and Change Sourdough Starter, Make Vinaigrette, Bake Bread, Soak Flour for Pizza Crust, Make Cranberry Sauce, Freeze Curry, Soak Flour for Pumpkin Pie, Bake Pumpkin for Pie, Feed and Change Sourdough Pet, Check Kraut

Wednesday
Breakfast: Sweet Potato and Date Muffins with Butter
Lunch: Egg Salad Sandwiches, Crudité Tray
Dinner: Lentil Stew, Buttered Bread, Green Salad with Walnuts and Raw Cider Vinaigrette

Evening Prep: Make Pizza Crust, Brine Turkey, Make Yogurt, Soak Flour for Pie, Soak for Muffins, Bake Pumpkin Pie, Freeze Lentil Stew, Make Crab Dip, Feed and Change Sourdough Pet, Check Kraut

Thursday
Breakfast: Granola, Yoghurt
Lunch: Lentil Stew, Buttered Bread with Raw Cheese, Green Salad with Raw Cider Vinaigrette
Dinner: Pizza with Olives, Roast Beef, Feta Cheese, Garlic and Chipotle Chilies, Green Salad with Onions and Raw Cider Vinaigrette

Evening Prep: Roast and Carve Turkey, Freeze Carcas, Thaw Vegetable Soup, Bake Sourdough Bread, Bake Muffins, Prep Crudités, Prepare Stuffing, Bake Yams, Prep Mashed Potatoes, Make Gravy, Refrigerate Sourdough Pet, Refrigerate Kraut if Not Already Done

Friday--Out of Town
Breakfast: Granola, Yogurt
Lunch: Vegetable Soup, Buttered Bread with Raw Cheese
Dinner: Dinner Out

Evening Prep: Soak Walnuts

Saturday-Out of Town
Breakfast: Blueberry Muffins with Butter
Lunch: Roast Beef Sandwiches with Raw Cheese, Onions and Tomatoes, Crudité Tray
Dinner: Crab Dip on Crackers, Roast Turkey, Gravy, Pumpkin Pie, Stuffing, Brussel Sprouts with Walnuts, Cranberry Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Green Salad with Onions and Raw Cider Vinaigrette

Evening Prep: Soak Oats, Seeds and Nuts, Freeze Turkey Carcass, Plan Meals for Next Week

Sunday-Out of Town
Breakfast: Oatmeal
Lunch: Leftovers
Dinner: Out to Dinner

Evening Prep: NONE

Monday-Back in Town
Breakfast: Blueberry Muffins with Butter
Lunch: Out to Lunch
Dinner: Leftovers

Evening Prep: Make Broth from Turkey Carcass

Tuesday
Breakfast: Yogurt and Granola
Lunch: Turkey Sandwiches with Raw Cheese

GO SHOPPING!

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page