How about a Nourishing Traditions meal planning thread? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2006, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 11:45 PM

Here's our menu for this week. If lunch is omitted, it's leftovers. This is our 'eat cheap and clean out the pantry to save money' week, plus I'm still not able to spend a gob of time in the ktichen, so we've got more non-meat and 'quickie' meals than normal.

Monday
breakfast- cream of amaranth cereal
dinner- hash with venison, potatoes, onions, and tomatoes

Tuesday
breakfast- fried polenta with applesauce
dinner- tamale pie

Wednesday
breakfast- leftovers cream of amaranth
dinner- black bean soup

Thursday
breakfast- sorghum pancakes
dinner- pasta w/ spaghetti sauce

Friday
breakfast- Van's waffles, fruit
lunch- gluten-free pizza
dinner- BBQ pork roast, rice, green beans

Saturday
breakfast- coconut flour muffins
dinner- turkey and gluten-free dressing

Sunday
breakfast- sorghum pancakes
dinner- chili, gluten-free breadsticks

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:57 AM

subbing
Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 AM

This is such a wonderful thread!!

I have copied so much of this information - thank you so much.

The key to anything working for me is organization and meal planning - even if I don't actually follow my meal plan to the letter, knowing I have something tasty within reach takes away a lot of stress.

I'm subscribing to this thread and looking forward to sharing my menus and hearing more about other people's experiences!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:46 PM

subbing
Old 01-27-2007, 09:53 PM

Here's my curry that I make from time to time. I prefer to use the whole seeds for the spices because I like the crunchy burst of flavor that they add.

Red Lentil Dhal

4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cups red lentils, soaked overnight and drained
3 cups chicken or beef stock
3 cups canned tomatoes
salt
curry powder

Melt the butter over a low heat in a soup pot. Add the mustard, fenugreek, coriander, and cumin seeds, and sautee the seeds until they smell fragrant. Add the onion and raise the heat to medium-low and sautee until the onion is beginning to get translucent. Add the ginger and garlic and sautee for several more minutes. Then add the celery, carrots, lentils, stock, and tomatoes. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Then cover and lower the heat as low as it will go. Allow the soup to simmer gently for an hour or until the lentils have melted and the carrots are tender. Then add salt and curry powder to taste.

It's delicious!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:03 PM

subbing with a question (that hopefully hasn't been asked already )

Is it possible to follow NT and not eat meat? I seriously cannot see myself ever eating meat - I've had an aversion to it since I was a young girl and the thought of it makes me gag. I'm not trying to be rude, I have no issue with meat-eaters, it's just not for me. thoughts?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:09 PM

cgmom - Absolutely! You may want to head over to the Traditional Foods forum as there is much more traffic over there. There are several moms who frequent the TF forum who are either l/o veg (in a TF/NT way) or eat only minimal amounts of meat or fish.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:32 PM

YES! our friends are veg too and instead focus on the non-meat aspects--raw dairy, soaking grians and nuts, dips and salad dressings, desserts....NT to me is all about eating food in it's most beneficial state, so no matter what you eat--veggies, grains, snacks, and sweets--can all be done the NT way. good luck to you!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 PM

Hey Hibou - I would totally be interested in that consulting thing.... you post menus and we'd pay a membership to your services... sounds like a dream job...

I'm also converting slowly to NT and have a raw milk source I just love as well as farm eggs. So recently I have been making my own cream cheese a whey. I have yet to get my husband to stop being creeped out about it. I find the conversion takes time.
I have a buddy in my area and we get together about once a month and try a bunch of recipies. So as part of a meal plannign thread I would love to hear reviews of the recipies you all have tried along the way... any favorite.... any easy to convert to...

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
Old 02-14-2007, 06:31 PM

Snow bunny, your menu looks amazing! can i come over for dinner but seriously, i'd love it if youd post recipes for muffins and pizza dough and pie you mentioned .
Old 02-15-2007, 09:37 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new to MDC, but have been eating the NT way off and on for about a year. What a great resource this is!!! I'm glad to be here.

Does anyone have a good sourdough starter that they would like to share? I'm also in the market for a kombucha mushroom...I know there's another thread for that and I'll check it out, but I figured I'd post it here too.

This is a super yummy recipe I found when I was vegan, actually, but except for the substitution of raw milk for soymilk, it's all NT-friendly. Give it a try! Great as a thick breakfast smoothie, and I bet kids love it!

Sneaky Dad's Pudding

This recipe was created by Earthsave International's Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and amazing chef, John Borders.

* 1.5 cups frozen strawberries
* 1 banana
* 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
* 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
* 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond is best)
* 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
* 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk (SUB RAW MILK OR YOUR FAVORITE MILK)
* 1/8-1/4 avocado

Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth.

Makes 2 servings.

Per serving: 336 calories, 7 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 19 g fat.

For a toddler aged 1-3 years, using 3 Tbsp. cashew butter for the whole recipe, a serving of this pudding provides approximately:

* 100% of the requirement for magnesium, folate, vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids.
* Over 66% of the requirement for copper and potassium
* Over 50% the requirement for pyridoxine and zinc
* 42% of the protein requirements
* 25% of the needs for calories and selenium
* 20% of the needs for iron

Adapted From: Becoming Vegan (Davis and Melina, The Book Publishing Co. Summertown Tennessee, 2000)

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbanGirl View Post
Sneaky Dad's Pudding

This recipe was created by Earthsave International's Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and amazing chef, John Borders.

* 1.5 cups frozen strawberries
* 1 banana
* 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
* 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
* 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond is best)
* 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
* 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk (SUB RAW MILK OR YOUR FAVORITE MILK)
* 1/8-1/4 avocado
We're allergic to avocado here. Can anyone give me an idea of something else that it could be replaced with for a similar nutrient profile?

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:43 AM

You could try subbing 2-3 Tbsp of coconut oil? Just a guess, but it seems like a good possibility. It would give you the fat, anyway. If you try it, let us know how it goes!

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 PM

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:46 PM

So...it seems I stopped things cold with my pudding recipe! How's everyone doing with meal planning out there? I'm trying to get back into the swing of things after getting totally knocked off course this spring. So post up! What's going on in the land of TF meal planning???

We're officially TTC!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:23 PM

We are doing pretty good here - well great! and then, now I am getting bored of my routine. ugh. isn't it easier to make the same-ish thing for a few weeks and then... I get bored and can't think of anything until I find a new routine.

We have been eating kimchi like crazy. and I made some Natto (look it up online if you don't know what it is - too much to explain - but very very healthy interesting japanese soybean ferment) I love it! my husband tolerates it for the health benefits.

I just got some new kefir grains!

We have been boiling bones almost everyday and eating a ton of bone broth. (as miso soup with seaweed)

I made a bunch of marinated beef - I bought a 4 pound roast and had the butcher slice it as thin as possible with the slicer - and then cut it into strips - bring it home, grate some ginger and garlic, a tiny bit of soy sauce, some sliced onions and stir - then separate into 1lb bags and freeze. I love instant dinners! We cook the meat on a fairly high cast iron pan with a little lard (home rendered from organic cows of course) very fast cook - like 30 seconds a side... I find this much easier than any kind of figuring out how to bbq it.

hmmm. what else can be used for an instant dinner (now that I am tired of beef?)

and to plug krankedyann's NT yahoo group, there has been some talk over there of recipes and planning. The more the merrier I always say.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TF-recipes/
Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 PM

Hi, I use to fancy myself as an organic, whole foods, attachment parenting gardening, cottage-industry, philanthropic mother. Then I had children:
Love the NT ideas although I've only skimmed the book so far. What would be anyones suggestion for the most effective first step in moving my families diet toward NT. (We had raisin Bran for breakfast and frozen pizza for lunch)--Anything would help.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM

batch cooking beans? (cook 5 or so cups - soak overnight, cook for 4 hours, when cool, put a bunch into freezer bags so you have quick beans when you are hungry - lots of bean recipes - like soups or even with tortillas.)

Find a source for raw, grassfed milk and then just drink it! So many vitamins!

Take an hour on Sat morning (or whenever you might have one) and make a couple of double batches of a yummy looking salad dressing. If you have a food processor, you can grate cheese and make salad dressings without really washing it in between - then you can quickly put together salads throughout the week.

For breakfast, I just ate a sprouted tortilla, some raw cheese (I ordered cheap through a coop) and some fermented bean paste - out of NT - gosh, it is easy to make, an onion, some beans - In a food processor and then ferment for a couple of days. I imagine that was faster than frozen pizza. Once fermented, the bean paste keeps for months in the fridge - also, it sounds gross but the fermented bean paste is one of my all time favorite things from nt. (I've been doing this for about 2 years now and, I must admit, my tastes are evolving a little)

Cans of sardines are pretty cheap and healthy (but again, if you don't like them... me and the baby usually split a can of sardines and we just eat them right up)

If you can find kefir grains, that is easy - just put it on the counter every day... and then make smoothies.

I make bone broths every couple of days - but it took me a year and a half to figure out that wasn't hard. (so full of vitamins and minerals though - I wish wish wish I had fed my kids this when they were babies!!! To get them used to the taste - so healthy!!!)

hmmm.
If you ate better, I bet you would feel better so you would have more energy. Like, I am kind of bad at eating breakfast - often my husband helps out there - and when I eat a solid breakfast, I have energy for the day. It really helps. We usually eat miso soup made from bone broth with a little dried seaweed flakes, scrambled eggs and a little kim chi. (kim chi, I make a gallon every two weeks - it is a pain to find that hour to make it but nice to just have in the fridge - we don't end up eating much vegetables otherwise)

Good luck, It is hard to think of easy ways in - I am so in the thick of it and things that used to seem hard are getting easy. It is a pattern, a rythm, and so many blasted dishes!!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:44 PM

:
Old 06-23-2007, 01:49 AM

Thanks Sabine. I'll start with the beans.
I agree with the eating/energy equation. I think my kids systems will go into shock sometimes from trying to be organic one week to the pizza/boxed cereal other end. I so, so. so want healthier food. I am big on growing organically and despite living in town on a tiny lot, we've just gotten chickens so we can have a good supply of eggs and fertilizer for all of the edibles we cram into our yard. I do love to see my children not hungry for lunch because they come in filled up on cherry tomatoes and blackberries. But I'm just not too handy in the kitchen these days. So thanks again for your input. I'm just looking for a starting place to get reenergized with food prep.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:46 PM

Any ideas on what to feed baby following the NT method?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:34 PM

There are several good place to look...

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html

It has a great list of starting foods.

another one is Dr. Cowen's site.
http://www.fourfoldhealing.com/Feeding_Our_Children.htm

Hope that helps
Old 07-29-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonicmama View Post
I want to be doing more NT as well, but can't get the scheduling of it down. I also need help with meal planning.

I thnk someone should creat a NT menu/ grocery list planner site.
I have.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks rstump! That link was very helpful.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
I have.
I am a member of KerryAnn's site and it is WONDERFUL. We did the sample week and I am planning to do the first week....coming up! I can't wait.

THANKS KerryAnn You have made my life easier! What a blessing
Old 07-29-2007, 04:00 PM

So thinking of getting that menu mailer. I am new to all of this and it is overwhelming to do when first starting : I think the menu plan would really help.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 07-29-2007, 04:30 PM

Oh yes it does. And she lays out when to do things....after breakfast, after lunch, after dinner....also leaves space for you to fill in your stuff too. So I can fill in my breakfast prep too!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM

So...I just picked up my last CSA box and after four weekends out of town in a row (and lots of CSA fruits and veggies about to go bad because of it) I'm trying to meal plan and eat as much as we can! I do mostly TF cooking, and trying to go as grain-free and sugar-free as possible although I have two pounds of brown rice to get through as well...so here's my list - any ideas?

leeks - 2 sm
cucumber - 1 sm
mushrooms - 1 lg bag
red/yellow bell peppers - 5-6
green beans - 1 med bag
lettuce - 2 lg heads
collards - 1 bunch
basil - 1 huge bunch
sweet potatoes - 3 lg
onions - 4 brown, 5-6 white
acorn squash - 2
butternut squash - 1 sm
apples - 12+
tomatillos - 1 sm bag
potatoes - 1 sm bag

I'm thinking of making a roasted veggie soup, maybe with squash, sweet potatoes and onions. I love steamed collards any day, so those are easy. But I need more ideas! TIA!!!

We're officially TTC!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Maybe some yummy pesto with the basil! You could do a pesto pizza and add lots of the veggies on top.

User Tag List