Mothering Forum banner

How about a Nourishing Traditions meal planning thread?

58K views 142 replies 61 participants last post by  sabine 
#1 ·
I want to get it together to feed my family in a Nourishing Traditions sort of way, and would love to see what others eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks and how they organize their weeks WRT making stuff like stock, bread, and lacto-ferments (i.e., does anyone have a particular day of the week or month when they put this together on a regular basis?) I've tried paging through some of the lengthy threads in Nutrition and good eating, but there tends to be more discussion of new things people are adding and not so much of the tried and now routine. I would welcome links to related past threads, though--I can't think of what search terms would get me to what I'm looking for.

Also, how do you plan things so that you aren't shopping all the time?

Sherri

#102 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new to MDC, but have been eating the NT way off and on for about a year. What a great resource this is!!! I'm glad to be here.

Does anyone have a good sourdough starter that they would like to share? I'm also in the market for a kombucha mushroom...I know there's another thread for that and I'll check it out, but I figured I'd post it here too.

This is a super yummy recipe I found when I was vegan, actually, but except for the substitution of raw milk for soymilk, it's all NT-friendly. Give it a try! Great as a thick breakfast smoothie, and I bet kids love it!

Sneaky Dad's Pudding

This recipe was created by Earthsave International's Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and amazing chef, John Borders.

* 1.5 cups frozen strawberries
* 1 banana
* 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
* 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
* 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond is best)
* 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
* 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk (SUB RAW MILK OR YOUR FAVORITE MILK)
* 1/8-1/4 avocado

Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth.

Makes 2 servings.

Per serving: 336 calories, 7 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 19 g fat.

For a toddler aged 1-3 years, using 3 Tbsp. cashew butter for the whole recipe, a serving of this pudding provides approximately:

* 100% of the requirement for magnesium, folate, vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids.
* Over 66% of the requirement for copper and potassium
* Over 50% the requirement for pyridoxine and zinc
* 42% of the protein requirements
* 25% of the needs for calories and selenium
* 20% of the needs for iron

Adapted From: Becoming Vegan (Davis and Melina, The Book Publishing Co. Summertown Tennessee, 2000)

#103 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HerbanGirl View Post
Sneaky Dad's Pudding

This recipe was created by Earthsave International's Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and amazing chef, John Borders.

* 1.5 cups frozen strawberries
* 1 banana
* 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
* 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
* 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond is best)
* 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
* 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk (SUB RAW MILK OR YOUR FAVORITE MILK)
* 1/8-1/4 avocado
We're allergic to avocado here. Can anyone give me an idea of something else that it could be replaced with for a similar nutrient profile?

#104 ·
You could try subbing 2-3 Tbsp of coconut oil? Just a guess, but it seems like a good possibility. It would give you the fat, anyway. If you try it, let us know how it goes!

#106 ·
So...it seems I stopped things cold with my pudding recipe!
How's everyone doing with meal planning out there? I'm trying to get back into the swing of things after getting totally knocked off course this spring. So post up! What's going on in the land of TF meal planning???

#107 ·
We are doing pretty good here - well great! and then, now I am getting bored of my routine. ugh. isn't it easier to make the same-ish thing for a few weeks and then... I get bored and can't think of anything until I find a new routine.

We have been eating kimchi like crazy. and I made some Natto (look it up online if you don't know what it is - too much to explain - but very very healthy interesting japanese soybean ferment) I love it! my husband tolerates it for the health benefits.

I just got some new kefir grains!

We have been boiling bones almost everyday and eating a ton of bone broth. (as miso soup with seaweed)

I made a bunch of marinated beef - I bought a 4 pound roast and had the butcher slice it as thin as possible with the slicer - and then cut it into strips - bring it home, grate some ginger and garlic, a tiny bit of soy sauce, some sliced onions and stir - then separate into 1lb bags and freeze. I love instant dinners! We cook the meat on a fairly high cast iron pan with a little lard (home rendered from organic cows of course) very fast cook - like 30 seconds a side... I find this much easier than any kind of figuring out how to bbq it.

hmmm. what else can be used for an instant dinner (now that I am tired of beef?)

and to plug krankedyann's NT yahoo group, there has been some talk over there of recipes and planning. The more the merrier I always say.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TF-recipes/

#108 ·
Hi, I use to fancy myself as an organic, whole foods, attachment parenting gardening, cottage-industry, philanthropic mother. Then I had children
:
Love the NT ideas although I've only skimmed the book so far. What would be anyones suggestion for the most effective first step in moving my families diet toward NT. (We had raisin Bran for breakfast and frozen pizza for lunch)--Anything would help.

#109 ·
batch cooking beans? (cook 5 or so cups - soak overnight, cook for 4 hours, when cool, put a bunch into freezer bags so you have quick beans when you are hungry - lots of bean recipes - like soups or even with tortillas.)

Find a source for raw, grassfed milk and then just drink it! So many vitamins!

Take an hour on Sat morning (or whenever you might have one) and make a couple of double batches of a yummy looking salad dressing. If you have a food processor, you can grate cheese and make salad dressings without really washing it in between - then you can quickly put together salads throughout the week.

For breakfast, I just ate a sprouted tortilla, some raw cheese (I ordered cheap through a coop) and some fermented bean paste - out of NT - gosh, it is easy to make, an onion, some beans - In a food processor and then ferment for a couple of days. I imagine that was faster than frozen pizza. Once fermented, the bean paste keeps for months in the fridge - also, it sounds gross but the fermented bean paste is one of my all time favorite things from nt. (I've been doing this for about 2 years now and, I must admit, my tastes are evolving a little)

Cans of sardines are pretty cheap and healthy (but again, if you don't like them... me and the baby usually split a can of sardines and we just eat them right up)

If you can find kefir grains, that is easy - just put it on the counter every day... and then make smoothies.

I make bone broths every couple of days - but it took me a year and a half to figure out that wasn't hard. (so full of vitamins and minerals though - I wish wish wish I had fed my kids this when they were babies!!! To get them used to the taste - so healthy!!!)

hmmm.
If you ate better, I bet you would feel better so you would have more energy. Like, I am kind of bad at eating breakfast - often my husband helps out there - and when I eat a solid breakfast, I have energy for the day. It really helps. We usually eat miso soup made from bone broth with a little dried seaweed flakes, scrambled eggs and a little kim chi. (kim chi, I make a gallon every two weeks - it is a pain to find that hour to make it but nice to just have in the fridge - we don't end up eating much vegetables otherwise)

Good luck, It is hard to think of easy ways in - I am so in the thick of it and things that used to seem hard are getting easy. It is a pattern, a rythm, and so many blasted dishes!!

#111 ·
Thanks Sabine. I'll start with the beans.
I agree with the eating/energy equation. I think my kids systems will go into shock sometimes from trying to be organic one week to the pizza/boxed cereal other end. I so, so. so want healthier food. I am big on growing organically and despite living in town on a tiny lot, we've just gotten chickens so we can have a good supply of eggs and fertilizer for all of the edibles we cram into our yard. I do love to see my children not hungry for lunch because they come in filled up on cherry tomatoes and blackberries. But I'm just not too handy in the kitchen these days. So thanks again for your input. I'm just looking for a starting place to get reenergized with food prep.

#114 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregonicmama View Post
I want to be doing more NT as well, but can't get the scheduling of it down. I also need help with meal planning.

I thnk someone should creat a NT menu/ grocery list planner site.
I have.

#117 ·
So thinking of getting that menu mailer. I am new to all of this and it is overwhelming to do when first starting
: I think the menu plan would really help.

#119 ·
So...I just picked up my last CSA box and after four weekends out of town in a row (and lots of CSA fruits and veggies about to go bad because of it) I'm trying to meal plan and eat as much as we can! I do mostly TF cooking, and trying to go as grain-free and sugar-free as possible although I have two pounds of brown rice to get through as well...so here's my list - any ideas?

leeks - 2 sm
cucumber - 1 sm
mushrooms - 1 lg bag
red/yellow bell peppers - 5-6
green beans - 1 med bag
lettuce - 2 lg heads
collards - 1 bunch
basil - 1 huge bunch
sweet potatoes - 3 lg
onions - 4 brown, 5-6 white
acorn squash - 2
butternut squash - 1 sm
apples - 12+
tomatillos - 1 sm bag
potatoes - 1 sm bag

I'm thinking of making a roasted veggie soup, maybe with squash, sweet potatoes and onions. I love steamed collards any day, so those are easy. But I need more ideas! TIA!!!

#121 ·
Yes! I just bought some pine nuts last night too, and parmesan...didn't even think about pesto! But that sounds great. Thanks!

#122 ·

Thursday

Breakfast: Homemade Yogurt with Granola and Apple Butter, Melon
Lunch: Fried Egg Sandwiches with Tomato and Cheese, Oranges
Dinner: Lentil Stew, Bread, Pickled Turnips, Green Salad with Cider Vinaigrette
Dessert: Apples Sauteed in Butter and Cinnamon and Topped with Sorghum Syrup
To do List: Prep white bean soup in crockpot

Friday
Breakfast: Homemade Yogurt with Granola and Apple Butter
Lunch: Leftover Lentil Stew and Salad
Dinner: Tuscan White Bean Soup, Baked Eggplant, Green Salad with Cider Vinaigrette, Bread
Dessert: Fresh Pears
To Do List: Soak Flour for Pizza

Saturday

Breakfast: Eggs Scrambled with Bell Peppers and Onions, Toast with Honey
Lunch: Leftover Soup, Salad and Apples
Dinner: Pizza with Tomatoes, Basil, Pine Nuts, Mixed Greens and Goat Cheese, Green Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Dessert: Fresh Peaches
To Do List: Defrost Roast, Soak Oats, Make Yogurt, Soak Black Beans, Can Tomatoes

Sunday

Brunch: Baked Oatmeal, Vegetable Frittata, Fruit Salad and Yogurt
Dinner: Pot Roast with Carrots and Onions, Celery Root and Potato Puree, Pickled Beets, Green Salad with Cider Vinaigrette
Dessert: Cider-poached Apples
To Do List: Defrost Bananas for Banana Bread, Prep Black Bean Soup in Crockpot, Make Pickled Beets

#124 ·
Yeah... I'm with the PP... I'm taking notes and drooling. I haven't read all the pages yet (and really need to get away from this computer for a while), but I love this thread. After reading Snowbunny's menu, I think I'm moving in with her. LOL

#126 ·
I know a lot of people who start with freezer cooking and just split things into single servings and freeze them. It is very easy to do once a month cooking for singles cause you don't need very many recipes.

Lots of NT things freeze great.....Soups, stews, baked oatmeal, shredded chicken, even soaked grains like rice, quinoa...all freeze great. I bulk cook them for my large family every week.

You may want to check out the stock the freezer threads for more NT recipes.

KerryAnn does lots of freezing and bulk cooking so her website may have lots more ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.