Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could use palm oil for the crust.
#302 of 354 Old 11-10-2006, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Is canned (Thai Kitchen) coconut milk legal? I was going to get some and try making 24H yogurt out of it. I am going shopping today and want to stock up on stuff (since we live in the boonies).

Dh and ds loved the SCD PB cookies (I added more almond flour and some coconut flakes so they became more like cookies and less like pacakes)

I want to try that liver pate! One of my goals is to incorporate liver into our diet. I live an hour + from Whole Foods and have not seen any organic liver around here though. One is supposed to open closer to our house soon though.

We used to adore the pb brownies over here-those and the pumpkin cookies!
#303 of 354 Old 11-10-2006, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

my personal favorite stuffing:

1/2 diced onion
1/2 large Portobello mushroom or several small raw mushrooms diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 ounce almond flour
2 spinach leaves shredded
1/2 red sweet pepper, diced
oil
Heat oil in skillet and add vegetables and garlic.
Cook until tender.
Stir in almond flour, lower heat and cook, stirring until almond flour browns.

Variations: add sage, thyme or other single poultry spices, diced dried fruit and/or nut pieces.
#304 of 354 Old 11-11-2006, 12:06 AM

Can someone tell me the recipe for SCD grape jello? Can't find it anywhere!

Also, do you guys make the yogurt in your excalibur and how much can you make at once? I have wanted the big one for a really long time and I would probably use it everyday!

Thanks, Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#305 of 354 Old 11-11-2006, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

The most I have made at once was 6 quarts. It doesn't ;ast long enough for me to make more. It's totally worth it though!
#306 of 354 Old 11-11-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Can someone tell me the recipe for SCD grape jello? Can't find it anywhere!

Also, do you guys make the yogurt in your excalibur and how much can you make at once? I have wanted the big one for a really long time and I would probably use it everyday!

Thanks, Jen
Jello:
2 cups juice
2 cups water
honey to taste
4 packets plain gelatin/4 tbsp gelatin

bring 2 c. juice plus 1 c water and honey to boil. Add gelatin to cold water and let dissolve for a minute. Combine all ingredients and stir until all gelatin is dissolved. When I was eating coconut milk I would add it instead of some of the water.

We create our own reality.
#307 of 354 Old 11-11-2006, 01:58 AM

Thanks Nolansmum I wanted to make that tonight so we could have it tomorrow.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#308 of 354 Old 11-11-2006, 12:47 PM

1 cup grated carrots
2 Tbls. lemon juice
1Tbls. honey
1 Cup shredded cabbage
1/4 Cup homemade mayonnnaise
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 tsp. salt

Lightly toss carrots, cabbage, saisins, salt lemon juice, and honey until well combined. Refrigerate untill just before serving. Add mayonnaise and toss again. Makes 4 servings
#309 of 354 Old 11-12-2006, 09:51 PM

Help! I made the pecanbread cooked mayo and it is liquid (It has been sitting in the fridge for 2 hours too) What did I do wrong. I made it with sunflower and olive oil. It does not look like the picture for sure. Is there a better way?

#310 of 354 Old 11-13-2006, 04:16 PM

thanks, everyone, for the cobbler recipes. Annikate - that cranberry one looks awesome! I didn't have any cranberries on hand, so I did the "darlene's apple crisp" and it was yummy. DD started yakking the next morning, through, after a week of no yak. So now I'm pouring over my food logs and am trying to figure out whether there is something in it that was a no-go for us or if it was something else. Thanks for the yummy recipes - keep them coming!

Here's an idea that I did the other night (you all may have already thought of it, but it was new for me) - I had some leftover pot roast (roast, carrots, onions cooked in a crockpot all day), and I heated the meat and served it over a bed of crisp greens with an oil and vinegar dressing. The cotnrast of the cold lettuce and warm meat with the dressing was pretty good, I thought, and it was a good way to have leftovers.
#311 of 354 Old 11-21-2006, 08:09 AM

Substitute 2/3 to 3/4 (165 to 175 mL) honey for 1 cup (250mL) white sugar. Reduce liquid by 1/4 cup (60mL). Add 1/4 (1mL) baking soda per 1 cup (250mL) honey. Reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees and adjust baking time.
#312 of 354 Old 11-22-2006, 02:48 AM

Thanks for the substitution info. I've always been more intuitive than scientific about this. I'll continue to be, to a certain extent, since I always cut back on whatever "sugar" I use. But this will give me a place to start from.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#313 of 354 Old 11-22-2006, 02:53 AM

So, how are you all going to thicken your gravy for Thanksgiving?? I just don't really know how I'll do that. I might try using coconut flour, but I've thickened other sauces with it in the past, and it doesn't get very smooth. Maybe just boiling it down? Please share your ideas/experience with me.

Thanks,
Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#314 of 354 Old 11-23-2006, 08:25 AM

From Restaurant Marrakesh
Morrocco
Epcot
Walt Disney World

24 oz. beef tenderloin, cut into 1" cubes
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. coriander, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. paprika
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. cumin
8 8" skewer sticks

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Put 4 oz. of beef on each skewer stick. cook over a bed of hot coals on a barbeque grill, or broil in oven until tender- about 5 minutes.
#315 of 354 Old 11-23-2006, 08:36 AM

Restaurant Marrakesh
Morocco
Epcot
Walt Disney World, Florida

Marinated chicken breast grilled on a skewer, courtesy of Chef Abrache

24 oz, chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped fine, (fresh)
1/2 bunch coriander ( or cilantro), fresh and finely chopped
1 tsp. garlic, fresh minced
1/2 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
2 drops yellow food colouring
8 skewer sticks

Mix well. Put chicken cubes on skewer sticks. Cook over a bed of hot coals on a barbecue grill, or broil in oven about 5 minutes.
#316 of 354 Old 11-23-2006, 08:40 AM

I'm posting these recipes in seperate posts in case someone would like to print out only certain recipes. I hope you don't mind.

For my gravy, I find what works for me is to cook the meat or poultry covered, and then just boil down the juices. It is concentrated, so there isn't a lot of gravy, but the flavour is very rich and full. I usually cook onions in with the roast, so that gives it a lovely flavour too.
#317 of 354 Old 12-01-2006, 09:40 AM

Liberty Tree Tavern
Magic Kingdom
Walt Disney World, Florida

Yield -serves 6

[B]Ingredients:

4 Teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 Tablespoons curry powder (make sure it's legal brand)
2 teaspoons cumin
2 Tablespoons rosemary, fresh chopped
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons corriander
2 Tablespoons granulated garlic (I dry my own to make sure it's legal)
2 teaspoons oregano, dried

[B]Method[B]
Combine all ingredients then store in a sealed container. Rub steak with marinade and set in cooler for at least one hour. Steak can marinade for 24 hours in advance.
#318 of 354 Old 12-01-2006, 01:08 PM

Thai-style Curry and Coconut Fish Soup

4 pounds firm-fleshed fish
3 onions, 1 chopped and 2 just peeled
1-inch slice of ginger, peeled
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 Thai chilies or 4 jalapeno chilies, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed, finely choped
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsps garam masala *sub with curry powder if desired then reduce turmeric
2 tsps ground turmeric
4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
2 14 ounce cans coconut milk
2 tbsps cilantro leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
shrimp (optional)

1. Visit you local fishmonger and have him pick out an outstanding speciman for you, gut it and fillet it and remove the skin. Ask for the fish heads and bones in a separate bag. Recheck the fillets when you get them home for any bones that might have been missed. [I just used halibut fish scaps from the store and added some cod fillets]

2. Make a fish broth by soaking the fish heads and bones in cold water for 30 minutes, draining them and then combining them with the chopped onion and enough water to cover in a 4-quart pot. Bring the broth to a slow simmer and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming off any froth that floats to the top. Strain the broth through a medium-mesh strainer. Use cheesecloth to line the strainer if you wish so you can remove any debris easily.

3. Cut the fillets into 20 equal-size pieces (2 pieces per bowl). Refrigerate the pieces of fish.

4. Work the ginger, peeled onions, garlic, chilies, and butter to a smooth paste with a food processor, a mortar and pestle, or by chopping them together very finely with a chef's knife.

5. Cook the vegetable/butter mixture in a 4-quart pot over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the garam masala and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the fish broth, tomatoes, and coconut milk and bring the soup to the simmer.

6. At the last minute: When you are ready to serve the soup, reheat the broth and add the fish. Cook the fish for 5 to 10 minutes, about 8 minutes per inch of thickness. Add the cilantro a minute or two before serving. Distribute the pieces of fish among hot bowls with a slotted spoon, season the broth with salt, pepper, and cayenne if desired, and ladle it over the fish in the bowls.

Note: to thicken it up, I pureed a cooked cocktail ring of shrimp and added it. Sooooo yummy!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#319 of 354 Old 12-01-2006, 03:11 PM

firefaery,
You posted about hazelnut flour . . .
what kinds of things do you make with it?

:
#320 of 354 Old 12-02-2006, 07:11 PM

I was wondering if anyone has tried Bobs red mill almond flour?
would it be SCD legal? I am lazy and have a bunch of daycare kids that I watch, so I look for shortcuts when I can
#321 of 354 Old 12-03-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post

I tried this very simple recipe for kale and it is delicious. After I ate it my breath did not even reak of garlic .I like the raw version and I left it in my mason jar for a couple of days until it was fermented enough for me to digest.

KICK-ASS KALE
I finally tried this recipe. It was good, but I have a couple of questions. When you left it in the mason jar to ferment a couple of days, was that at room temp? Also, do you need to put an airtight lid on the jar? I ended up having mine in a large bowl and just putting a plate on top of it. Not airtight. And let it sit out at room temp for 2 days. I did put it in the fridge tonight after dinner. Is that okay? And how will I know when it goes bad?
Thanks in advance!
#322 of 354 Old 12-03-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried Bobs red mill almond flour?
would it be SCD legal? I am lazy and have a bunch of daycare kids that I watch, so I look for shortcuts when I can

Totally legal, but pretty coarse. It's okay as breading, but I don't care for it in baking. For that I'd order from Lucy's Kitchen, you can get 5 lb. bags.

Annikate-hazelnut flour is great in cookies, on *some* meats and fish (as a hazelnut butter crust-yum) It does well with chicken. I've made muffins with it and breaded and fried bananas in coconut oil. It's also great on the NT apple cobbler (instead of almonds) I just love it! Any dessert could use it. I love it as a pie crust. Hazelnut butter cut with coconut oil is also dreamy.
:
#323 of 354 Old 12-06-2006, 08:24 AM

4 c water
1 c red wine vinegar
2 carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery with leaves, sliced
1 sm. onion, sliced
3 sprigs parsley
3 sprigs thyme (1 1/2 tsp dried)
3 bay leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
6 boneless chicken breasts (6 oz each)
2 c diced plum tomatoes
1/2 c sliced scallions

1. In a large frying pan, combine water, vinegar, carrots, celery, onion, parsley, thyme bay leaves, mustard seeds, and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes. Strain. Return the bouillion to the pan and bring to a boil.

2. Place the chicken in the boiling liquid. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand 25 minutes. Do not remove the lid. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and cover to keep warm. Pour the bouillion into a bowl.

3. Put 1 cup of the bouillion in a pan. Boil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes to reduce. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the scallions and cook for 2 minutes. Spoon over the chicken.

Makes 6 servings.
#324 of 354 Old 12-06-2006, 08:41 AM

[I]Roasted Tomatoes
8 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
Salt
Ground black pepper

[I]Herb-Marinated Steaks
4 garlic cloves minced
5 basil leaves, finely chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
4 sirloin steaks (6 oz. each)
2 tsp. olive oil

[I]Garnish
1/2 c chopped shallots
2 tsp olive oil

To make roasted tomatoes:
1. Preheat oven to 225 F.
2. Sprinkle the tomatoes very lightly with the salt and pepper. Place, cut side down, on a non-stick baking sheet. Place in the oven and allow to roast for 6-7 hours. Remove from the oven and set aside.

To make the herb-marinated steaks:
1. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, basil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper,
2. Brush both sides of the steak with the oil. Sprinkle the herb mixture on both sides of each steak. Place the steaks on a platter, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. Cook the steaks on a hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side (for medium rare) or until the desired degree of doneness is reached.

To make the garnish:
1. In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute the shallots in the oil for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. If needed, rewarm the tomatoes. Top each steak with equal amounts of the shallots and tomatoes.

Makes 4 servings
#325 of 354 Old 12-12-2006, 05:41 PM

ff,
Do you have a good dairy-free *biscuit* recipe?
eta: I've been making the one w/dccc that dds LOVE but am getting ready to do a dairy-free experiment.
#326 of 354 Old 12-31-2006, 12:28 AM

Anyone have any good very kid friendly ideas for my DD's birthday party?

I want it to be just foods she can eat. I think I've got the cake figured out, it is lunch that has me stressed.

We can't eat dairy of any kind, honey,or most fruit.

I can do cut up veggies but I'm not sure about doing a dip for them (since most kids I know require ranch dressing for their veggies).

I can do pumpkin bread.

Now I'm stumped. My dd is turning 3. There will probably be kids ranging from 1.5 to 5 at the party. I don't know that any of them are super picky but they probably usually eat like kids. (chicken nuggets, pizza, cheese etc.)

Ideas?

If I can't figure it out dd will be OK with not getting to eat everything but I really want to do this for her since she always has to eat different food from everyone else when she goes to any kind of event.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#327 of 354 Old 12-31-2006, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
ff,
Do you have a good dairy-free *biscuit* recipe?
eta: I've been making the one w/dccc that dds LOVE but am getting ready to do a dairy-free experiment.
I do.

but I can't remember it right now. And I can't find the book it came from.

If you have the grain free gourmet it is the strawberry shortcake recipe w/o the sugar and using another egg instead of the yogurt. I also include some salt and substitute refined co or ghee for the butter.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#328 of 354 Old 12-31-2006, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Anyone have any good very kid friendly ideas for my DD's birthday party?

I want it to be just foods she can eat. I think I've got the cake figured out, it is lunch that has me stressed.

We can't eat dairy of any kind, honey,or most fruit.

I can do cut up veggies but I'm not sure about doing a dip for them (since most kids I know require ranch dressing for their veggies).

I can do pumpkin bread.

Now I'm stumped. My dd is turning 3. There will probably be kids ranging from 1.5 to 5 at the party. I don't know that any of them are super picky but they probably usually eat like kids. (chicken nuggets, pizza, cheese etc.)

Ideas?

If I can't figure it out dd will be OK with not getting to eat everything but I really want to do this for her since she always has to eat different food from everyone else when she goes to any kind of event.
I did the same for ds's birthday party (and our Halloween party). Ds really wanted to be able to eat everything there, since he has to go to so many other places where he can't eat what is served.

For dip (we had veggie sticks, too) I made some guacamole. NO ONE complained that there was no dairy dip. Everyone very much liked the guacamole.

We didn't really have "lunch", just veggies, fruit (that could be skipped if you're not doing fruit), and the cake. But, you could make SCD chicken nuggets, or you could make chicken strips. I have made them several times, and ds's friends were jealous of HIM for having them. They're a bit easier than nuggets. You cut chicken breasts into strips, spice them however your dd would like, and fry them up in coconut oil. I've used a lemon pepper-type spice combo, or a mexican-type spice combo (not too spicy, though). Ds likes both. If you went for the nuggets, you could make an SCD ketchup dip.

I know you said you thought had the cake figured out, but I can't resist sharing the idea we used for ds's party. We made cupcakes, and on top of the frosting, we sprinkled ground up nuts (like sand) and then we put cocktail umbrellas in. They were really cute! If you're interested in knowing more detail about what we did, you can look back in this thread to where I posted a detailed discription of the food for his party (esp. the cake -- we did a fish shaped cake, and also the cupcakes). It was in May.

You can do it! And I'm sure your dd will really appreciate it.

ETA how about deviled eggs, or some variation?

#329 of 354 Old 12-31-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I do.

but I can't remember it right now. And I can't find the book it came from.

If you have the grain free gourmet it is the strawberry shortcake recipe w/o the sugar and using another egg instead of the yogurt. I also include some salt and substitute refined co or ghee for the butter.
I've got the book! Here's the recipe as it appears in the book (thanks for sharing your adaptation of it!):

2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup salted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1 Tbsp. honey
1/4 cup yogurt
1 egg, whisked

Combine the almond flour and baking soda. Work in the butter (either by hand or in a food processor). Add honey, yogurt, and egg. Stir to make dough. Separate into 6 equal balls and flatten to 3" rounds (3/4 in. thick).

Place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake 15 min. at 310 degrees.

#330 of 354 Old 12-31-2006, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleoiseau View Post
I finally tried this recipe. It was good, but I have a couple of questions. When you left it in the mason jar to ferment a couple of days, was that at room temp? Also, do you need to put an airtight lid on the jar? I ended up having mine in a large bowl and just putting a plate on top of it. Not airtight. And let it sit out at room temp for 2 days. I did put it in the fridge tonight after dinner. Is that okay? And how will I know when it goes bad?
Thanks in advance!
I make a variation of this, so I will attempt to answer you questions. First off, yes leave it a room temp for at least a day (but no more than two, IME). Don't put the lid on airtight, or the jar might explode. I use a Mason jar, and a plastic lid, which isn't as tight as the ring lids. And I don't crank down on the lid.

You will know if it goes bad! (Never had it happen if it ferments well -- it will last a long time in the fridge.) I've had it go bad a couple of times during fermentation. It smells bad, so bad I wouldn't even think of tasting it, and it gets a slimy film on top. To avoid having it go bad, here are some tips. Make sure to use enough acid, enough salt, and to have water come up over the top (so no kale is exposed to the air). I top mine with a whole kale leaf while it's fermenting (to hold the chopped kale down under the liquid), but I remove the leaf and compost it when I put the jar in the fridge.

HTH! I love my fermented kale!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page