SCD chefs...let's share! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 354 Old 02-08-2007, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to say, that I made icing today for my birthday cake I'm so excited as the ones I tried in the SCD book never did anything for me.

Basically, I made a buttercream w/cold butter and raw honey that was more solid than liquid and added vanilla. That was it. It came out great!! And since I'm not on the diet anymore, I added some cocoa. OMG!!!

Just wanted to share
#332 of 354 Old 02-09-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
And since I'm not on the diet anymore, I added some cocoa. OMG!!!

Just wanted to share
Why are you not on the diet anymore?
#333 of 354 Old 02-09-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Why are you not on the diet anymore?
My gut has healed I now eat starches and grains in extreme moderation and I don't touch sugar.
#334 of 354 Old 02-09-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
My gut has healed I now eat starches and grains in extreme moderation and I don't touch sugar.
Do you mind my asking, how long were you on the diet, and was there anything else you did to heal your gut? Dh and ds are still needing healing, and I've been wondering lately when their guts will be healed. They're definitely doing better, but just wondering. When we feel their guts are healed, like you, we won't be eating much grain at all (and only gluten-free) and probably not a lot of starch either (ds has type 1 diabetes, and starches aren't very good for his blood sugars). We haven't eaten sugar in years, and won't go back to it.

Anyway, just wondering if you'd share a little more information about your experience. Also, how did you determine that your gut was healed (been wondering about that also).

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#335 of 354 Old 02-09-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
Do you mind my asking, how long were you on the diet, and was there anything else you did to heal your gut? Dh and ds are still needing healing, and I've been wondering lately when their guts will be healed. They're definitely doing better, but just wondering. When we feel their guts are healed, like you, we won't be eating much grain at all (and only gluten-free) and probably not a lot of starch either (ds has type 1 diabetes, and starches aren't very good for his blood sugars). We haven't eaten sugar in years, and won't go back to it.

Anyway, just wondering if you'd share a little more information about your experience. Also, how did you determine that your gut was healed (been wondering about that also).
I think I was on the diet 7-8 months. Incredibly strict w/TONS of probiotics, including at least a quart of raw goat milk yogurt a day and tons of kombucha. I also did not have a yeast problem to start with. I've also stopped farting , which I was legendary for.

In terms of "being done" it was just intuitive, so I can't really explain that.

hth some
Amy
#336 of 354 Old 02-09-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I think I was on the diet 7-8 months. Incredibly strict w/TONS of probiotics, including at least a quart of raw goat milk yogurt a day and tons of kombucha. I also did not have a yeast problem to start with. I've also stopped farting , which I was legendary for.

In terms of "being done" it was just intuitive, so I can't really explain that.

hth some
Amy
Thanks for sharing. Since celiac is involved here, I think it will take a fair deal longer. They also definitely have disbiosis of some kind. And the probiotics are trickier here, since of dairy of all kind is out. One way that we diverge from the SCD is to drink water kefir. We feel the benefits outweigh the risks (based on results, not just theory).

We kind of started the SCD "accidentally". Ds couldn't tolerate a lot of things, and we ended up eating mostly SCD because of that. Now we've done more reading, and we're getting more strict, hoping that will help.

We've also added some natural antifungals, since we're not convinced that damage is limited to the gut.

I do know that healing is taking place, since ds has formed stools for the first time in his life (TMI, I know, but exciting for us ). We also successfully re-introduced one food (pecans), which was questionable but not a huge problem before. We haven't really tried re-introducing other foods yet. We'll be taking that very slowly, which is made easier by the fact that ds is pretty satisfied with his diet, so long as I keep myself busy in the kitchen! And dh is always easy to please, food-wise.

OK, I've rambled too much. I guess it's from too little sleep. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. It gives me hope!

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#337 of 354 Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 PM

In my freezer, I have an uncured "picnic ham" from the butcher. What on earth can I do with this that is SCD-legal? I was trying to find a curing recipe that only uses salt and possibly honey, but I'm having a tough time finding such a thing. Any advice?
#338 of 354 Old 03-15-2007, 03:06 PM

Hi, All!

I'm looking forward to joining you on this SCD thread -- to contribute where I can, and to get some new ideas. You all seem very creative and positive, too. I have the entire Fam on this diet as one of us is an IBD sufferer, another has IBS. We follow it almost to the letter (I say almost, because we're working on cutting out the sodas). It can be a challenge (especially for myself, because I don't eat any meat and am not too fond of chicken --- working on overcoming the latter).

As with many of you, we likewise consume large quantities of cheese, eggs, fruit and veggies.

A few comments and a request -- I make the Lois Lang Light almond bread. It's very tasty toasted with a variety of fillings and toppings. Many of you enjoy the cashew bread. Do you not find this very expensive to make? I'm currently pricing bulk cashews (for use in making butter, an ingredient in the tortilla recipe I'm dying to try) and the cost is exorbitant.

I have the SCD "Bible" _Breaking The Vicious Cycle_ (and it's predecessor _Food and The Gut Reaction_), _Lucy's Specific Carbohydrate Cookbook_, _The Grainfree Gourmet_ (this is my absolute favourite), and my latest acquisition, _Eat Well Live Well_.

As to the latter -- I notated a number of recipes I want to try, in an attempt to expand our repertoire. They sound delish. However! I was surprised to find that although the book boats SCD compliant recipes, there are several ingredients, sans the "do not eat until symptom free for X number of weeks, months...". To site a few -- Gruyere cheese (listed on the forbidden list in Elaine's book), Brussels Sprouts (I believe I saw this on a forbidden list on the Healing Crow Site or even the main SCD reference site), brown rice vinegar, etc.

Finally, I was surfing online last week and found on a woman's blog a reference to, and picture of, some wonderful SCD Pecan Shortbread Cookies. The recipe for these, she stated, are in Lucy's cookbook. Off I went to flip through the cookbook w/ visions of the cookies dancing in my mind, only to find that there is a recipe for Shortbread Squares, not cookies. Went to Lucy's site and looked at the table of contents in which was listed both the cookies and the squares -- each a separate recipe. I wrote to Lucy, to enquire as to whether or not my copy had an omission, or if there was a later version. Unfortunately she does not seem to want to respond. If any of you have the Pecan Cookie recipe, would you mind sharing? I'd really appreciate it and reciprocate in any way I'm able.

Enough babble! I will type more soon

-Debra
#339 of 354 Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 PM

Are any of you familiar with this little item, The Perfect Pickler?

http://perfectpickler.com/

It would make perfectly SCD compliant pickles/pickled veggies, etc.

I'm tempted!

-Debra
#340 of 354 Old 07-23-2007, 01:58 PM

:
#341 of 354 Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM

I've been on SCD since Oct 19 2005. In Feb. I had a colonoscopy. The Doc said I had no crohns in my large intestine. The scope wouldn't go into the small intestine, so the crohns must be in the small intestine. I reminded him I was on this diet to cure my crohns, but he feels there is no cure. He also wants me to continue taking my Pentassa. I haven't taken any meds for at least 6 months, have hardly any symptoms and feel I have pretty much healed. I won't say I'm cured, because I get a twinge at my illium about every 2 months, but I feel great. I can't say enough great things about this diet. I cheat now and again, (4 times now)usually with french fries from a dedicated frier, but aside from that, I watch very closely what I eat. I have no desire to go back to my old life style and processed foods. As a side note, my arthritis is 100% gone. Also, I was on meds for my hiatius hernia acid reflux, and it is 100% gone too. I wish this doctor would encourage his other patients to try the diet, but he is a surgeon, and operating is what he knows.
#342 of 354 Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM

Subbing

I didn't take time to read this whole thread. :

dd is no wheat, rye, barley, peanuts, or dairy.

:
#343 of 354 Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 PM

My 14 week ds and I have been battling yeast/thrush for the since he was 2 weeks old. I have cut out all dairy,sugar, all fruit and most grains. I still eat rice and corn. The yeast keeps coming back. I'm starting to wonder if I should start following the SCD strictly. DS and I both are very gassy and according to the Bristol stool chart, I think I may have some issues. I just don't know what to do. The yeast just won't go away...and if it does...it does not stay gone for long....

If I start the SCD should I still lay off the fruit and dairy(I noticed on the food chart that some fruit and cheeses are allowed) since yeast feeds off them.

Thanks so much for your help....I'm so lost.......:

Wife to one. Mama to 5.
#344 of 354 Old 09-22-2008, 02:33 PM

Subbing!

signature currently in transition
#345 of 354 Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 AM

Hi! I just now realized there's a thread about SCDs. I hope there are I wanna try something new:
#346 of 354 Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 AM

Scd = ?
#347 of 354 Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM

SCD = Specific Carbohydrate Diet

#348 of 354 Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Hi! I just now realized there's a thread about SCDs. I hope there are I wanna try something new:
This thread has been quiet (if not dead) for over a year. But you might want to go back through it. I seem to remember recipes being shared.

There is a current thread with some resources for grain-free baking. They may or may not be new to you.

#349 of 354 Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM

We're doing SCD, but adding extra fat beyond what most recipes suggest. I'm hoping this will solve the constant hunger (I'm in the second trimester, and bananas and farmer's cheese just aren't cutting it). Here's a breakfast idea that's suitable for early on in the diet, once you've got past the introductory stage. Even the fussiest eaters in my family love this dish.

Sausage and egg breakfast

Remove the bones from 1 package organic chicken thighs (leave the skin on). Don't worry if you can't get all the meat off. Set the meaty bones aside for the next time you make stock.
Grind the chicken & skin in a food processor, along with salt, a little cayenne pepper, onion, garlic, 1 egg, and your choice of herbs: parsley, thyme, sage, etc.
Make the mixture into small patties (I use two forks) and fry over medium-low heat until firm to the touch.

While the sausage is cooking, get a mixing bowl and lightly beat enough eggs for everyone, along with a little salt and a dash of cayenne pepper.

Remove the cooked sausage to a covered serving dish. Add the eggs to the pan and scramble them in the chicken fat.

Serve with a banana and a little diluted apple juice.
#350 of 354 Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 PM

subbing

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#351 of 354 Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Bumping this thread for interest...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#352 of 354 Old 11-21-2009, 04:03 PM

I was just about to bump this and saw that you've recently bumped it too mtn.mama! This is my favorite thread (well one of many actually). Reading back, though, I felt so sad to read Kundalini-Mama's posts.
#353 of 354 Old 08-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
subbing...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#354 of 354 Old 08-11-2012, 02:30 PM

spoonful of sugar free. check out pecan sticky buns. U can use prunes and pecans for topping. delicious

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page