SCD chefs...let's share! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 354 Old 04-03-2006, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Christie,
I understand the vegetable rut thing too. It seems like we eat an awful lot of green beans around here. That and squash. All types. I did make brussel sprouts the other day and they were yummy but I always had trouble w/them and the other day was no exception. How about spinach?

I am dying to do some more fermenting but already tried some ginger carrots and I'm not ready for them yet.

I flavor my stir frys with ginger, garlic, and firefaery posted about using orange juice too. I tried that and it's pretty good.

Or you can use yogurt sauce. I'm going to post a sauce I made tonight next.
#62 of 354 Old 04-03-2006, 10:23 PM

I was craving a casserole tonight and I had leftover turkey breast. Here's what I did and it was super good! (Especially the yogurt sauce which I'm planning on using for a lot of things now.)

I mixed:
diced cooked turkey
sauteed onions
green beans (cooked)
a bit of almond flour
and yogurt sauce (yogurt, salt, pepper, cumin, mustard powder - whisk together)

I sort of layered it in a casserole dish and poured the sauce on top. Baked at 325 for about 40 minutes. Remove cover for last 15 minutes or so.

The sauce reminded me of the sauce in one of the dishes at an old favorite NY vegetarian restaurant I used to go. Yummy!
#63 of 354 Old 04-04-2006, 04:11 PM

Cucumber Pickles

1 large cucumber, sliced, peeled or not
1 T. mustard seeds
1 T. sea salt
4 T. whey (if not available, use an additional 1 T. salt)
1 c. filtered water

Pack cucumbers into a qt. sized mason jar.
Mix remaining ingredients and pour over.
Add more water to cover cucumbers...the liquid should be at least 1 inch from top of jar.
Cover tightly.
Keep at room temp. to ferment for 2-3 days before refrigerating.

From Nourishing Traditions, as is red pepper recipe above.
#64 of 354 Old 04-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Christie,

I use Peptizyde and think it's a great high protease product, it's not just for ASD kids or gluten or dairy. I take it between meals to heal inflammation and clean up debris. It took me a while to get used to it, but I really feel fantastic on it (or the other high protease I've used, Virastop from Enzymedica).

I need to make my cake again to tweak a bit, I will send you what I have. DS can't eat it and I've been busy making things for him.
#65 of 354 Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 PM

Boiled down bone broths (makes the classic French demi glace) is a great addition to stir frys and mimics the taste of soy sauce when added with garlic, ginger, honey, red pepper flakes or whatever you like. Orange juice sounds yummy, I'll have to try that.

Terri,
That casserole sauce idea looks great.
I've also mixed chicken broth demi glace, butter and dripped yogurt to make a similar sauce for chicken pot pie with peas and carrots. Almond flour biscuits for topping.

I made Beef Strogonoff the easy way last week too.
Beef stew chunks in a covered casserole.
Pour in broth at least one inch above beef. Add lots of sliced onions.
Bake at 300 for 3 hrs. Stir a couple times. Could also do in crockpot.
Add sauteed mushrooms and dripped yogurt to finish dish.
(gradually whisk a little hot broth into yogurt in separate dish to loosen and bring up to temp, then add to main dish).
#66 of 354 Old 04-04-2006, 04:45 PM

Broccoli turning teeth gray??? I wonder if it's the sulfur? I've never heard of that before. I'd die if I couldn't eat broccoli, it's been a staple in my diet since craving it while pg. I'm weird though, I like it steamed to death til starts to turn olive color, nice and sweet and easier to digest.

Asparagus is a good substitute. Can't wait for fiddlehead season here in Northeast!

Julienned and sauteed all together zucchini, carrots and onions. Or multicolored bell peppers and sliced onions, sauteed until carmelized. Sometimes I add tomato sauce and this is a hearty sauce for chicken or spaghetti squash.

I like spinach with Indian spices, I think there is a recipe at www.scdrecipe.com. Indian spiced eggplant is good too with chopped tomatoes. Or curried cauliflower or butternut squash with coconut milk.

I've been very into Portobello mushrooms lately too.

I cook so plain lately b/c of DS, hard to think of more...
#67 of 354 Old 04-04-2006, 09:30 PM

DD will be ONE on the 10th so we're having a party on Saturday!

I need some suggestions for a cake for her. I don't really want her to eat it yk, I just want her to be able to stick her fingers in and get some pictures. Of course, she's going to ingest some, but with her allergies/intolerances, I'm afraid to give her anything baked w/nut flour too.

What do you all think? Any suggestions? We don't *have* to have a cake, but her big sis has pics from her 1-yr. party and I don't want her feeling like I forgot about her when she gets bigger and looks back at pics.
#68 of 354 Old 04-05-2006, 07:11 PM

I have heard of moms making a "cake" out of molded mashed potatoes or something and piping icing of carrot puree to decorate it. That would definitely work for the photo op.
Good luck!
#69 of 354 Old 04-07-2006, 03:59 AM

Life has been very crazy lately, so I haven't gotten back to you all. Sorry. And thank you for the suggestions! You mamas are wonderful! We just got back from a big (and long!) day in the city, so I'm beat. I'll give a more detailed message tomorrow or the next day.

But...ds saw some portabellos at the store today, so we got some. And since I've never been successful at storing mushrooms for very long at all, I need to cook them up tomorrow. But I don't have many ideas for cooking them. I know I can saute them up, but is there anything else? I've heard of people grilling them. I have a grill pan, but I don't know what else I need to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Off to shower and sleep now,
Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#70 of 354 Old 04-07-2006, 01:58 PM

Yes, grilling is good, just brush hot pan with oil and sear them. Or outside on grill. Good meaty burger-like.

I also used to chop them up finely, saute and make "mushroom duxelles" a la Julie Child, as a meat substitute.
#71 of 354 Old 04-08-2006, 02:56 PM

I made the cashew butter bread recipe above with homemade almond butter (soaked and dehydrated blanched almonds whirred in fp) and it came out great.

Very neutral tasting due to the lightness of the blanched almonds. So much like real bread!

I've made it before with roasted almond butter from jar and this is way better.
#72 of 354 Old 04-08-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Jane~ a good friend of mine is desperate for a chocolate cake that is SCD legal. Her birthday is Mon. (dd's is tomorrow!) Are you able to share your choc recipe yet? She would be so very happy!
#73 of 354 Old 04-09-2006, 04:42 PM

Ran out of olive oil so just created this on the fly for my spinach salad today...

Yogurt
Honey
Mustard (Eden Organic Yellow)
Apple Cider Vinegar

It could be a little thicker so maybe next time I'll use dripped yogurt.
#74 of 354 Old 04-09-2006, 04:56 PM

I've only been able to make this once as is. So far one taster-mama said it sank a bit (which made me double check the nut measurement) and one said it was perfect! (Thank you both for helping. )

I've been meaning to try to make again with 10 dates instead just to compare. It's also good w/o any dried fruit but less intense of a flavor.

Choco-Nut Cake

7 large dried prunes
1/3 cup water

8 oz. pecans (about 2 heaping cups)

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup oil, melted palm shortening or melted butter
1 t. vanilla

5 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda

1.Place prunes and water in a saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until soft. Remove prunes with a fork to a dish to cool enough to handle. Discard liquid.
2.Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
3.Grind the pecans in a food processor until completely smooth (as nut butter). Scrape down several times with a spatula. This will take 5 minutes or longer. Remove nut butter and reserve. No need to clean processor bowl.
4.Cut prunes in half. Add prunes, oil or butter, honey and vanilla to processor. Process until completely smooth.
5.Add nut butter to prune mixture in processor. Add baking soda and eggs. Process for one minute.
6.Grease an 11x7 rectangular Pyrex dish generously with oil or shortening.
7.Bake @ 300 degrees for 50 minutes or until cake springs back in middle when pressed.

I'm sure 2 round cake pans would work. This is a variation of the cashew butter bread recipe above. I've done so many things to it and it never fails for me (as long as I cook it long enough). Probably b/c of the large amount of eggs.

I think this could also make a great gingerbread with fresh and dried ginger, cinnamon, cloves. Another "when I get time to try it"!
#75 of 354 Old 04-09-2006, 04:57 PM

: Selkie!
#76 of 354 Old 04-09-2006, 05:01 PM

Just taking notes. . .
#77 of 354 Old 04-09-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jane! I'm passing on the recipe (my friend will be soooo pleased!) and Selkie thanks you!
#78 of 354 Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM

I made dd her first birthday cake on Saturday! (GAve it a trial run on Friday) and it turned out yummy! Luckily, she only picked up the cake decoration and never tried to put anything in her mouth so I got some cute pics but didn't have to sweat it!

Lots of April girls here!
#79 of 354 Old 04-16-2006, 10:50 PM

Does anyone have a recipe for carrot cookies or something similar?
My munchkin does not like fruits or veggies. Sometimes he'll eat sweet potatoes- but nothing else. He gags on anything with a similar texture to babyfood. He loves mac-n-cheese (organic, of course), bread, eggs (sometimes), and does okay with veggie burgers. I'd like to try to disguise some fruits and veggies as breads, etc. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
#80 of 354 Old 04-17-2006, 10:20 PM

Gremlin, look here. for recipes your dc might like.
#81 of 354 Old 04-23-2006, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

jane-clarification on the cashew bread...if only making bread do you use two loaf pans? It doesn't sound like it, but then you talk about splitting and making cake and bread...so how many loaves does the recipe actually make? I'm trying it tonight and that's way too $ a batter to mess with!
#82 of 354 Old 04-24-2006, 12:36 PM

I'm sorry...

Yes, the whole recipe makes 2 loaves of bread or one cake and one loaf.
#83 of 354 Old 04-24-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I'm sorry...

Yes, the whole recipe makes 2 loaves of bread or one cake and one loaf.
Heh...I found this out the hard way last night when it overflowed out of the bread pan
#84 of 354 Old 04-26-2006, 09:43 PM

OK...I'm subbing...I am convinced that my son needs the SCD for his bacterial overgrowth. I plan on adding SCD foods that he can eat one at a time to replace his normal foods.
#85 of 354 Old 05-02-2006, 07:15 PM

Anybody have a good crispy cracker recipe? The versions I've tried are good but the crackers don't stay crispy, especially if you seal them afterward.
#86 of 354 Old 05-02-2006, 09:15 PM

Drying any recipe out at 150-200 degrees for several hours always worked for me. Cookies too.
#87 of 354 Old 05-06-2006, 07:40 PM

Jane- What size loaf pan for your bread? I have a few different sizes.

I made a monte cristo sandwich last night. It came out really good! I didn't have ham but other than that it was really good. I used Lois Lang's bread.

3 thin slices bread
thin slice turkey or chicken
thin slice of ham
two slices of swiss cheese
mustard
1 egg
water
s&p

Whisk egg with some water and s&p and set aside in a bowl.
Make tripple decker sandwich. Bread, ham, turkey, bread (spread with mustard if desired) 2 slices swiss cheese bread. Hold it all together with toothpicks. Cut into smallish pieces either into triangles or whatever works with your bread. Dip in egg mixture, get all sides. Don't let it sit too long or it crumbles.
Have a well greased med hot skillet and cook on all sides till done. You can deep fry these (at least the origional version). It was really nice that the egg kept the bread together well. Even a 12 year old visitor who is super picky liked these. I'll be making them again.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#88 of 354 Old 05-08-2006, 03:36 PM

Sorry IL's visiting. I use Pyrex 4.5 x 8.5 inches.
#89 of 354 Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 AM

hey all! haven't caught up on this thread (or old ones yet), so forgive me (and please tell me) if this has been covered before--but does anyone have a good recipe for chicken reserved from making stick for EARLY on the diet? i've been making chicken salad for dh, and he's tired of it, and i want something we all can eat. (i can't eat chicken salad without celery and or onion and we're not near raw food yet.)

thanks for sharing your wisdom.
#90 of 354 Old 05-18-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I made a monte cristo sandwich last night. It came out really good! I didn't have ham but other than that it was really good. I used Lois Lang's bread.

3 thin slices bread
thin slice turkey or chicken
thin slice of ham
two slices of swiss cheese
mustard
1 egg
water
s&p
Yum! Where have I been? I though ham and swiss cheese were SCD illegals? No?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page