SCD chefs...let's share! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 354 Old 05-18-2006, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
depends on whether or not you can find them with no fillers/preservatives.
#92 of 354 Old 05-18-2006, 11:19 PM

I know swiss cheese is ok. DH really likes that. We don't eat ham here but I assume there are some out there that are legal. We made it just with chicken.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#93 of 354 Old 05-26-2006, 03:44 PM

Panna Cotta
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...ws/views/14224

(Replace sugar with honey, add to hot water/gelatin mixture to melt. Replace half and half/cream with all yogurt, do not heat it. Chill overnight.)
#94 of 354 Old 05-27-2006, 11:00 AM

for those that use nut butters in place of the nut flours, do you have to adjust the amounts for the recipe to work or do you just use the same amount
#95 of 354 Old 05-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Hard to say. Depends on the recipe and the nuts. Drier nuts like almonds are not as runny as walnuts. With pancakes it's easy to judge the weight/texture of batter so that's about the same amount. And plenty of eggs are used to bind.

What are you trying to make?
#96 of 354 Old 05-27-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
for those that use nut butters in place of the nut flours, do you have to adjust the amounts for the recipe to work or do you just use the same amount
I haven't found it necessary to adjust the amount. I make pancakes mostly, though. What I DID find, though, is that with muffins (and I think the recipe I used called for nut butter -- cashew in this case), I don't want to grind the nut butter as long. I let the nut butter get nice and smooth and runny (which works the best for pancakes), and the muffins fell. But if I only ground the butter until it was thick still, they worked fine. That was probably because I was using pine nuts, which have a lot of oil in them.

Jane had a good question, though. What are you trying to make?

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#97 of 354 Old 05-27-2006, 04:17 PM

I've been away from quite awhile, too, and thought I'd share a few things. But first, I don't think I ever did thank all of you for the veggie suggestions. Thank you! (Who knows what else I've missed, too). We still haven't tried spinach. I need to do that. We tried green beans, but , for both dh and ds. And I thought I'd try cauliflower, because they can both eat that and it would make a nice addition (potato substitute, for one). And it's been over 10 years since I tried broccoli, and I'm quite a bit healthier now, so I really thought it would be OK. I only tried a small amount, and thank goodness, because that small amount messed up my gut for at least 2 weeks (no black teeth, though, so that's good)! I won't be trying that again!

Anyway, on to the good things. Ds made up a recipe with me, and I thought I'd share. You know those mini sweet peppers? Well, ds loves those, and wanted a sandwich sub. for a picnic that he was going to have with some other kids. So he wanted to cut the tops off and stuff something inside. What we did ended up being very yummy (and simple). We used some fried up chicken strips that we had in the fridge. We whizzed them in the food processor, added some yogurt to moisten the mix, and then, since I misjudged on the yogurt and add a bit too much, we added some brazil nuts and whizzed again. Since the chicken already had spices on it (lemon pepper-type thing), we didn't add anything else. We stuffed that in the peppers. A big hit! I also made it recently with some shredded chicken I had in the freezer. With that, though, I added some spices to taste. I've also made it with some chicken with a different kind of seasoning, which is my favorite. I use cumin, coriander and ground chipotle.

Ds's birthday was earlier this month. I made cupcakes, loosely following the recipe for cashew butter muffins. I didn't add the banana, so I used more nut butter, and an extra egg. I added lemon zest and lemon juice. And I used pine nuts. And I sweetened them, of course (I used agave nectar because it doesn't affect ds's blood sugar. I know isn't SCD legal, that works better for us than honey. Honey would work fine in the recipe, though). They were sooo yummy! I frosted with a cooked egg white frosting. And ds had seen an idea in a party book, and so we sprinkled ground pine nuts over the top of them (for sand -- the book had suggested brown sugar, so we improvised), and we stuck a little drink umbrella in each one. We also made a cake, shaped like a fish and frosted with the same frosting, tinted with natural food color (blueberry juice concentrate for purple and black currant juice concentrate for pink -- supposed to be blue and red, but oh well) and I put coconut flakes on for scales, and blueberry for the eye. The cake was the same recipe, except I used vanilla instead of lemon. No one would have known that had no flour in them except that some of the mothers knew we have a special diet, so they asked what it was made of. Plus, one mom said she'd been dreaming of my home baked cake for weeks, so I thought I ought to warn her that it wouldn't be the same as previous years. She still thought it was worth the wait! Everyone (except one boy who was sick -- AAARGH, now we have bad colds!!) loved everything. We also had a fruit tray and a veggie tray, and guacamole as a dip. I wanted ds to be able to eat everything, since there will be plenty of parties where he won't be able to eat anything but what I bring for him.

BTW, I'm buying these to transport cupcakes in for parties that we attend: http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/deta...7S&search=C251

It was all much fun.

Sorry this turned so long. Just thought I'd share.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#98 of 354 Old 05-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Ugh on the cauliflower Christie. I could only do pureed for the longest time.

Thanks for the decorating ideas! DS's bday is coming up and he's having like 3 parties...

Everyone, see another thread for SCD meal ideas here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=458841
#99 of 354 Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Hard to say. Depends on the recipe and the nuts. Drier nuts like almonds are not as runny as walnuts. With pancakes it's easy to judge the weight/texture of batter so that's about the same amount. And plenty of eggs are used to bind.

What are you trying to make?
dont know yet, was just wondering for reference for when I start (june1)
#100 of 354 Old 05-29-2006, 08:14 PM

Please tell me how to make SCD sausage! I've been craving it (even bought some illegal stuff that sits in my freezer.) :
#101 of 354 Old 05-29-2006, 08:17 PM

Anyone have any good on-the-run breakfast ideas for dh?
He does boiled eggs, toast, muffins, yogurt
I need something new and creative.
#102 of 354 Old 05-29-2006, 08:29 PM

Nicolena, I don't know what all you're eating, but I have a couple of ideas for the chicken. You could make a chicken soup (but you probably already thought of that. You could make the chicken filling I talked about in my earlier post, but put it in cooked peppers instead of raw. Or you could make a sandwich out of it. Also, the chili recipe I posted awhile back would be good with chicken in it instead of the ground meat (I'm not sure if coconut milk is allowed early in the diet, though, but you could use the 24-hour yogurt instead). And you could make chicken pot pie like Jane suggested. Sorry, but those all the ideas I have now.

Christie

#103 of 354 Old 05-29-2006, 08:32 PM

Jane,

Could you please post the biscuit recipe you keep talking about? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I'm glad the decorating ideas will be useful to someone! Have fun with your ds's parties.

TIA,
Christie

#104 of 354 Old 06-02-2006, 02:44 PM

well today I fixed the honey apples in the breaking the cycle book. they were very yummy. I had a flop with the banana pancakes for breakfast though. They were very hard to flip-would break every time into a big mess. any tips for this? I took the batter and put it on a tray and put it in the dehydrator to see if I could make something to eat out of them.
#105 of 354 Old 06-02-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Please tell me how to make SCD sausage! I've been craving it (even bought some illegal stuff that sits in my freezer.)
Here's how I make mine. First, I make seasoning mix, so that I make more later. Here it is (you could, of course, cut it in half or something to start with):

Breakfast Sausage Seasoning
8 Tbs paprika
3 Tbs. salt
1 1/2 Tbs. pepper
2+ Tbs. sage
1 Tbs. nutmeg
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. ceyenne pepper

I add 1 Tbs. of the mix per lb. of ground meat. We use ground buffalo or beef, but turkey would work, too (oh, and pork, too, but we don't eat that, so I forget about it ). I often add just a little sweetener, too, which would be honey for SCD (I used to use maple syrup, which is really yummy). I just drizzle a little in, but probably a Tbs. or less. Then I mix it well but gently with my hands and form it into patties.

Hope you like it!

Quote:
Anyone have any good on-the-run breakfast ideas for dh?
He does boiled eggs, toast, muffins, yogurt
I need something new and creative.
Well, the sausage would be good! And have you ever tried frittatas? They're like quiche, but without the crust. We saute veggies, and add the eggs and bake. It's even better with grated cheese added to the eggs, but we can't eat cheese anymore. I also sometimes make some of the sausage mix, crumble it into the pan, and cook it up. That, the veggies, and the eggs make a good hearty dish. It's good cold or room temp, too, so it would make a good on-the-run breakfast.

And this one may or may not fit your criteria for an on-the-run breakfast, but it's really good! I make my own trail mix, with almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, and dried fruit (obviously, it's for later on the SCD). I like to put some coconut yogurt (dairy yogurt would work fine, too) over it at night, mix it up, and let it soak overnight. In the morning it's ready to go, and oh so yummy.

Quote:
well today I fixed the honey apples in the breaking the cycle book. they were very yummy. I had a flop with the banana pancakes for breakfast though. They were very hard to flip-would break every time into a big mess. any tips for this? I took the batter and put it on a tray and put it in the dehydrator to see if I could make something to eat out of them.
I've never made those pancakes, so I don't know what happened. But maybe you could make the hot cereal that Jane talked about with that recipe of batter. Or maybe you could try a different pancake batter. I posted the recipe I use earlier in this thread. I only have trouble flipping those when I try to flip them too soon. And we like to put the fruit on top of them, so we still get something fruity and sweet. Oh, and I can't remember if I mentioned it when I posted the recipe earlier, but ds prefers the pancakes when I add lemon zest to them. They're really yummy that way. I use the lemon zest when I use brazil nuts or pine nuts, not when I use the pecans.

HTH,

Christie

#106 of 354 Old 06-02-2006, 09:42 PM

Christie,
Thanks for the ideas. And for the yummy seasoning mix recipe. I'm definitely trying this tomorrow!
#107 of 354 Old 06-02-2006, 10:35 PM

well the batter tasted pretty good once I put the batter in the dehydrator. It pealed off and was kind of like a crepe. very yummy tasting
#108 of 354 Old 06-03-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
I had a flop with the banana pancakes for breakfast though. They were very hard to flip-would break every time into a big mess. any tips for this?
Make them silver dollar sized, that's the only way they work for me.
#109 of 354 Old 06-03-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB
Jane,

Could you please post the biscuit recipe you keep talking about? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I'm glad the decorating ideas will be useful to someone! Have fun with your ds's parties.

TIA,
Christie
Sorry it's in Grain Free Gourmet but I don't have time to post it now (I shouldn't even be online! ) Leaving for vacation tomorrow...

This one might be similar:
http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/r_005_00289.php
#110 of 354 Old 06-05-2006, 11:25 PM

has anyone ever tried making home made noodles using egg yolks and nut flour? I was just wondering because tonight I made chicken soup and wondered about noodles.
#111 of 354 Old 06-06-2006, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

I just usually use a spiralizer and make zucchini noodles...far more cost effective for me! I've never tried the nut ones....
#112 of 354 Old 06-06-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory Maker
has anyone ever tried making home made noodles using egg yolks and nut flour? I was just wondering because tonight I made chicken soup and wondered about noodles.
I tried this and it did not work out at all. I'm bummed too because I was SO looking forward to them! If you try it you'll have to post and let me know if it turned out for you.
#113 of 354 Old 06-18-2006, 06:02 PM

We just did cauliflour mashed potatoes, chicken cupcakes, and the baked apples. They liked the baked apples. Everything else...a no. My 8 year old has decided to become a vegetarian. Couldn't have come at a worse time. My 17 year old says if we go SCD, he will refuse to take his chelation supplements and he won't eat. We may have to stop his chelation anyway because we are fighting this big intermodal they are trying to build near our house. I am now even more interested in considering natural chelation through diet. I wonder if our diet was really good, if we could still live here with a big industrial area coming in....kind of like the macrobiotic people who lived near radiation? I feel like making the SCD food and it would be the only food available..LIke..if you are hungry eat this...they wouldn't have a choice...my 12 year old said she would run away. If I really think this is whats best for us, what if I just make SCD food and I refuse to provide anything else? Is this what other's do? Currently I might make a dinner, and three out of eight would sample it and then say "they can't eat that, so they want taco bell (husband and two older children). "

Um, where is the link to the introductory SCD diet?
#114 of 354 Old 06-19-2006, 03:53 PM

UGH!!

First of all, surely there can be another option besides Taco Bell! That has no place in a diet of people who want to improve your health and your DH should be backing you on that. (Mine doesn't, so that's why my strident tone. )

I think there is a lot of yummy real food you can make on SCD but it does take a lot of time. I'm not sure how I could have done it for a large family of older children, that's a tough job to tackle, BB.

The Intro Diet is here:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ntro_diet2.htm

Or Pecanbread version:
http://www.pecanbread.com/foodprep.html#intro

Perhaps you could first lay some ground rules for healthier eating, esp. for your oldest: no sugar, fried foods, soda, etc. and hit the enzymes hard. But I know he's found his independence now and it includes all these junky things with his friends.
#115 of 354 Old 06-19-2006, 05:45 PM

YEAH! He should be backing me up on that, and so should your Dh. :
#116 of 354 Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 PM

Will you ladies please share your recent favorite SCD dishes? I'm seriously in a rut here & want to try something new without playing eenie meenie off of one of the recipe sites.

Here's one of mine: (Well, really a favorite of dd1's)
Not all that creative but yummy nonetheless.
chicken fingers
cut up chicken breast into bite sized pieces
dip in yogurt
shake in a bag of almond flour, salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of cayenne
bake at 350 for 20 minutes
They come out better if you line your baking pan w/parchment and flip them over 1/2 way through.

I like to make carrot chips with these!

slice carrots in food processor
deep fry in olive oil
sprinkle with salt
#117 of 354 Old 06-22-2006, 02:17 AM

Is this how you make dry curd cottage cheeze???

I have 1 gal of raw goat milk from farm.
Bring it to a boil
Add 1/2 a cup vinegar
It turns into cottage cheeze just like that.

Or am I missing something, and is heinz white vinegar legal?

OT, since raw cream is hard to find to make into butter, Is natures balance buttery sticks legal, made from soy oil?

Is kefer legal?...someone is giving me the grains for that tomorrow.

Today went extremely well. We made the chicken salad, & the baked apples, and I went to an organic farm and bought goat milk and cheese & they signed our petition. I have raw goat cheddar and chavez or something...it tastes heavenly and I need a reciepe for something to do with the chavez especially...its thick like cream cheese and can replace yogurt in a reciepe. It is to die for, so yummy.

My preteen said right away that she feels very much better drinking goat milk. She had some straight, just a little, and said she could drink/or use this and she wouldn't need chocolate. She felt energized.
#118 of 354 Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 AM

Bestbirths [/Quote] Is natures balance buttery sticks legal, made from soy oil?

Is kefer legal?...someone is giving me the grains for that tomorrow. [/QUOTE]

I can tell you for sure that nature's balance buttery sticks are not legal BECAUSE they are made with soy oil. Soy is never legal. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm

Kefir is a little complicated. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...e/kb/kefir.htm

There is great info at www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com and www.pecanbread.com
#119 of 354 Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 AM

Thanks. just found out the chavre is illegal.

Quote:
I need a reciepe for something to do with the chavez especially...its thick like cream cheese
#120 of 354 Old 06-22-2006, 02:45 PM

To make dccc you take your already made 24 hour yogurt and let it drip over a bowl lined w/cheesecloth (or a dish towel.) Once it's almost all finished tie it up over a spoon and let it drip some more. Voila! YOu've got dccc. The leftover liquid is whey. You can use it for lots of things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page