SCD chefs...let's share! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 354 Old 07-02-2006, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are these varied uses for whey? I made some dripped yogurt, and have no idea what to do with the whey. I certainly don't want to throw it out!
#122 of 354 Old 07-02-2006, 12:51 AM

Speaking of whey....

I totally ruined a bunch of yogurt (and it is still in my fridge..sshh). I believe that it got too hot--kinda curdled, but lots of whey on top.

I spoke to my goat farmer about it and she said I made cheese! Can I do anything w/this?
#123 of 354 Old 07-02-2006, 02:28 PM

I know that whey can be used in lacto-fermenting veggies and fruits...
#124 of 354 Old 07-02-2006, 02:33 PM

Here's a recipe for biscuits made with whey:

http://www.recipesource.com/baked-go...1/rec0131.html

You can also use the whey in muffins, pancakes or anything that calls for milk, juice or water. Or or frozen for future use, in scones, soups and stock, pastry, rice dishes - just about anything you want to add a cheesy flavour to.

(ala Google)
#125 of 354 Old 07-03-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
I totally ruined a bunch of yogurt (and it is still in my fridge..sshh). I believe that it got too hot--kinda curdled, but lots of whey on top.
I recently did the same thing 4 L. of this stuff sitting in my fridge since 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to convince DP to use it, but I'm going to have to scrounge out recipes to "use it up"!

I'm going to strain a large portion of this stuff. I think the cheese would be more palatable to the fussy people here who aren't on SCD. I'll certainly have a lot of whey then!

Thanks chasmyn for the recipe. We don't usually eat biscuits, but I might just try it out anyway.
#126 of 354 Old 07-03-2006, 07:27 PM

Any ideas what to do with Chicken Liver besides make pate?

I suppose I could just sautee in butter, but if anyone has any bright ideas, please throw them my way. I intend on liver becoming at least a once-a-week meal.
#127 of 354 Old 07-05-2006, 10:42 AM

Lots of liver recipes at bottom of this page:
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/liver.html
#128 of 354 Old 07-05-2006, 11:02 AM

I am just starting week 4 of SCD. We are eating chicken, ground beef, turkey, carrots, zucchini, artichoke, asparagus, peas, butternut, banana, applesauce, pearsauce, peach, blueberry and strawberry compote with our 24 hour yogurt, honey, DCCC and a little mild cheddar cheese. I would really like to add coconut oil but I am not sure what to do with it at this point. Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of right now is to make a yogurt smoothie and put the oil in there.

Also, we are using nut butters (pecan, almond and some peanut). Can I use these to make recipes that call for nut flour? Will it change the ratio of liquid I should use? Or should I modify the recipes in any way? Has anyone made zucchini muffins with nut butter? I would love to make a simple carrot cake with pecan butter.

Thanks for sharing.
#129 of 354 Old 07-05-2006, 11:15 AM

I add coconut oil to just about everything I bake. I also add it (or coconut cream) to some nut butter, add a little honey and mix it up w/a whisk then fill candy molds and freeze. YUM!
#130 of 354 Old 07-05-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
I add coconut oil to just about everything I bake. I also add it (or coconut cream) to some nut butter, add a little honey and mix it up w/a whisk then fill candy molds and freeze. YUM!
OOOooo. Tell me more about coconut cream. Where do you get it or how do you make it? I can't have coconut milk yet so I hope it doesn't include that! These sound delicious.

For baking, do you just add it into the other called-for ingredients or do you have to do any alterations since you are adding a fat? How much do you add? I am wondering if with the moist nut butter and the coconut butter it would make the muffins/cake too moist. What has been your experience?

Thanks!
#131 of 354 Old 07-05-2006, 12:11 PM

nak
I don't really measure but a little goes a long way. Sometimes if a recipe calls for butter I'll use 1/3 butter & the rest co to moisten.

I get it @ my co-op but havr also ordered from here.
#132 of 354 Old 07-05-2006, 12:41 PM

I am a little confused about whey, someone told me it was the waste after the cheese was made, and not healthy to use.

Then, another person told me that it contained most of the nutrients, and that by straining the whey off, I was losing nutritional value....:

How long does whey keep in the fridge?
#133 of 354 Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana
Any ideas what to do with Chicken Liver besides make pate?

I suppose I could just sautee in butter, but if anyone has any bright ideas, please throw them my way. I intend on liver becoming at least a once-a-week meal.
i dont do scd, but my dad always fried his chicken livers and just ate them like that

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#134 of 354 Old 07-06-2006, 02:10 PM

can anyone explain why raw goat milk, or all fluid milks are illegal on the scd?

I am going to make kefir with the raw goat milk. Our dd drank 1 1/2 gallons of the goat milk without my knowledge before I could make it into dddc or kefir. They are used to just eating whatever they want w/o asking, but on this diet, I feel like there might need to be some kind of system for food rationing or something because of the cost. The cats ate 1/2 of my dddc while it drained last week. I'm having a tough time keeping ingredients on hand before someone gobbles them up....
#135 of 354 Old 07-06-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths
can anyone explain why raw goat milk, or all fluid milks are illegal on the scd?
Because they contain lactose, a sugar (the wrong kind). The 24 hr. yogurt is allowed because the good bacteria eat all of the lactose in the 24 hrs. of incubation.

BTW, Bestbirths, I meant to respond a long time ago to your problem of your family not liking the food. How's it going now? It sounds like it may be resolved. What I was going to suggest was not to try to make "substitutes" for things (except the baking recipes -- those or really yummy), and don't try too many new and different recipes at first. Just try to make the things your family likes and change things if necessary to fit into the SCD. Like roasted chicken is something most people like. Serve it with a salad and some winter squash instead of mashed potatoes. And burgers (just skip the buns -- or make the SCD sandwich rolls) served with lots of veggies. And if you grill, grill the burgers and veggies. Or make kebabs. Or taco salad (without the chips, of course). Anyway, you get the idea, and probably don't even need help now anyway. I figured, though, that if I was responding anyway that I'd address this too, just in case.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#136 of 354 Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=Spencersmom]I would really like to add coconut oil but I am not sure what to do with it at this point. Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of right now is to make a yogurt smoothie and put the oil in there.[QUOTE]
I use it for cooking (and sometimes add extra just because). And I use it instead of butter in baking. I also add it to my smoothies. And btw, you asked before about coconut cream. I'm not the one who posted about, so I don't know what she was referring to. BUT, I use something called coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions. It's very yummy, and can be added to baked goods and frostings, or even just spread on your nut butter pancakes as a spread. It's just very finely ground up coconut, and has 70% oil, so it's another way to get the oil in you. Here's a link to it: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/co...oncentrate.htm

Quote:
Also, we are using nut butters (pecan, almond and some peanut). Can I use these to make recipes that call for nut flour? Will it change the ratio of liquid I should use? Or should I modify the recipes in any way? Has anyone made zucchini muffins with nut butter? I would love to make a simple carrot cake with pecan butter.
I haven't made a lot of things with nut butter. I've made the cashew butter muffins (with other butters), and I've made the midas gold pancakes (which call for almond flour, but I use an equal amount of nut butter). I haven't had to make any changes to the pancake recipe. With the muffin recipe, though, since I'm using other butters that can get pretty thin if I let them, you have to be careful not to let the nut butter grind past a thicker paste. I would guess that this would be a good strategy for converting some of the nut flour recipes to nut butter recipes. I hope this was at least a little bit helpful.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#137 of 354 Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
BTW, Bestbirths, I meant to respond a long time ago to your problem of your family not liking the food. How's it going now?
ok...here it is...they don't like spagetti squash...but they do like zuchini. Tonite is the spagetti sauce with zuchini noodles instead. Plan B-they put the spagetti sauce in a bowl, add 3 over easy eggs and slather the whole mess in cheese, nuke for 30 seconds and voila. They are inventing new foods. They have eaten canned pears, p-nut butter directly out of the jar, and olives. They did like the pb cookies. I have full support from dh. SCD is the only foods we are serving & soon it will be all that is left in the house. They have ate 4 containers of applesause. The huge ones. They love baked apples. If the 17 year old wants something not SCD, he would have to drive himself to get it (hense, he cracked open the drivers manual...when we thought driving was a skill he might never learn). That alone is motivating us too keep on this diet.

We have spent a fortune on fruit and cheese. They hated...I mean hated...chicken cupcakes & cauliflower mashed potatoes. They like zuchinni lasagne. We have served grilled hamburgers and a veggie like green beans. It takes 2 lbs of burger to feed them. They likes the ginger chicken with the yogurt. They like the grape juice 1/2 with the water. I just bought 4 gallons of orange juice. We bought our oldest son diet pepsi. They like the baked goods made from almonds. They like the fruit we have bought. They don't like the dddc or yogurt in a shake, or just with fruit. or even adding a bunch of cinnamon to tone it way down..too tart. Most of them can eat raw goat yogurt in a recipe, but dh cannot stand the taste of raw goat milk or yogurt. He has a thing about sour tasting milk...a trauma from his childhood...bahahaha...only it's not funny. Someone always left the milk out when he was a child. I wish he could get over it. DH refuses to eat liver. I might try a really yummy liver recipe for the children and see. I found sugar free bacon from kroger. Lets just say this could be the bacon and egg diet. They liked the chicken and carrot soup. So things are going well, except I don't know if I can afford this diet...I need to cheapen it somehow...They have eaten apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, cherries, and watermelon in HUGE QUANTITIES...they are practically frutarians. Fruit and meat are the most expensive foods, yk? They devour fruit like...the only word I can describe is locusts...ha...you think I am kidding. The first 2 lb block of cheese I bought they had eaten before we carried the groceries in from the car....it's not funny. They have eaten 2 containers of raisins. The big ones. We have used up something like $20 dollars worth of honey in 2 or 3 weeks. I am not joking.

OMG a diet with no cheap fillers in it....it is killing the pocket book...chicken and carrot soup is like the only cheap thing I have made so far....YK?

They liked the chicken and avacado salad served on cheese slices. Does anyone have some more cheap food ideas? There are 8 of us, only 7 now because my mom is out of town...but I've got to get a handle on the food budget.
#138 of 354 Old 07-06-2006, 11:45 PM

BB, OMG! That sounds like our house. I run to the store every other day for more FRUIT and more CHEESE!

I can eat grapes by the pounds. They're like my new snack food. I eat them the way I used to eat chips. I take one and keep eating and eating and eating. . .

Btw, what's the name of the bacon you found? I have yet to find any w/o sugar here.

I wish I could give you some inexpensive food ideas, but I don't have any either. Pasta used to be our "cheap dinner". We could eat a plate full and not be hungry. Somehow, spaghetti squash w/sauce just doesn't cut it alone.
#139 of 354 Old 07-07-2006, 09:41 AM

Annikate, it feels nice to not be alone in this! The bacon...I would read the package to you (and I bought FOUR pkg) um...five days ago...but they are all gone. It is the no sugar brand from Kroger. I purchased it at a store called Dillon's. It was smoked bacon processed with no sugar.

Once the die off is over though, I think I will feel really great on this diet.
I hope that the foods we are eating are going to be giving us more nutrients than what we were eating before. I wonder if craving the fruit and cheese means we all need to supplement calcium and vit C.

So far, I am thinking on budgeting that all extra anything we were doing is out...we cut out all of the extras and just spend $$ on food.
#140 of 354 Old 07-07-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I am a little confused about whey, someone told me it was the waste after the cheese was made, and not healthy to use.

Then, another person told me that it contained most of the nutrients, and that by straining the whey off, I was losing nutritional value....:

How long does whey keep in the fridge?
Yes, there is whey from cheese and then there is whey from dripped yogurt. Also you can make whey from soured raw milk. I know nothing about whey from cheese but whey from milk and yogurt is extremely nutritious and very high in probiotics. It lasts up to six months in fridge according to NT.

By straining off the whey you are reducing probiotic count and some nutrients.
#141 of 354 Old 07-07-2006, 10:33 PM

I dont' have many suggestions re: reducing cost. Our grocery bills are horrendous. But so are other people who eat nutrient dense foods. Our society does not value healthy food.

Hit the farmer's markets near you. Around here I could go to a different one everyday within a 20-30 minute drive. I just picked up some pastured eggs for $2/doz. and lots of veggies way cheap (most organic too). Yummy blueberries and raspberries.
#142 of 354 Old 07-07-2006, 10:34 PM

MT and I have been talkling about high doses of vit. C neutralizing toxins/die off in Nutrition/Immunology 101.
#143 of 354 Old 07-07-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Hit the farmer's markets near you. Around here I could go to a different one everyday within a 20-30 minute drive. I just picked up some pastured eggs for $2/doz. and lots of veggies way cheap (most organic too). Yummy blueberries and raspberries
I am SO jealous of this! I have a crappy farmer's market, one co-op which carries organic but now went from being open 7 days a week and orders delivered 3x to only opening 3 days a week and orders delivered 1x. Essentially it's a bust.

AND, the buying club I just started w/Ozark Organics just went BUST! (Only found out about this minutes ago and they didn't even bother to email me and let me know. I had to find out from a friend who inquired about a product.)

Grocery store produce . . . well, can you really even call it that?
#144 of 354 Old 07-08-2006, 09:52 AM

LOVE the farmer's market idea Super fun too!
#145 of 354 Old 07-08-2006, 09:56 AM

Ah...I have huge quantities of sodium ascorbate....but I want to save money on caps...maybe I could mix it in the apple sauce.
#146 of 354 Old 07-08-2006, 12:33 PM

We just drink it straight (mixed in water). Or DS takes with his lemonade/enzyme mix. It just tastes slightly salty.
#147 of 354 Old 07-08-2006, 07:16 PM

Jane,

Thanks so much for telling me about the AFP Peptizyde. We got some samples, and now we've bought some. Ds is having much better blood sugars!! And we only just started giving him a full dose at a meal today. We're excited!

We were giving him a high-protease enzyme, but it obviously wasn't doing as much as this one does for him.

Christie

#148 of 354 Old 07-08-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have some more cheap food ideas? There are 8 of us, only 7 now because my mom is out of town...but I've got to get a handle on the food budget.
Cheap and nutritious food? What's that?

Just kidding. It really is expensive to eat this way, and to eat healthy overall. We consider a healthcare expense -- something that makes us healthier and hopefully keeps us from needing more expensive treatments. Of course, the insurance company doesn't see it that way, so the money still comes out of our pockets. But, the kind of treatments we tend to get aren't generally covered by insurance, so we are saving money in that respect.

I do have a few ideas for you, though. Roasted chicken is a fairly inexpensive meal (compared to many other meat meals). And you get a wonderful stock out of it as a bonus.

Eggs are cheaper than meats, so maybe make some meals with those. Frittatas are yummy, and they're pretty easy. And you can grate some cheese to add to them (we can't anymore ). They're basically a quiche without the crust. And if you have a cast iron skillet, that's the perfect thing to make them in (there are other ways, but that's easiest, I think). Saute onions, garlic, and other veggies. Add several eggs beaten (probably a dozen given your crowd). Sprinkle the cheese in, and pop it in the oven. And, of course, there are good old scrambled eggs. And boiled eggs make a good snack.

For snacks, have fresh veggies available (usually cheaper than fruit), and you can make a dip to eat with them. Some dip ideas would be: a yogurt dip (if the yogurt is too tart, you could add a little honey along with the spices), guacamole, a hummus-like dip made with white beans instead of garbanzos (personally, I'd probably prefer a dip made out of black beans ). Anyway, you get the idea.

And this may not save you any money, but it might save you some frustration. Since your kids are used to being able to eat anything without asking, and that's been causing some problems for you, maybe you could make a deal with them that there is a certain cupboard and a certain place in the fridge where they can eat anything from there, but anything else, they need to check with you to make sure you don't have plans for it. And point out that sometimes you even make something yummier if given the chance!

And do you have a Costco where you can shop? They have some good deals on some good foods. Some of them are organic, and some aren't. They have big bags of baby carrots (organic), for example. And they have a good price on avocados. And they have pesticide-free tomatoes, and sometimes cucumbers. You can get a case of nine mangoes (not organic, but since ds has to get all of his carbs from fruit, and that means a lot of fruit to keep his ketones down, we cheat sometimes). And huge bunches of bananas. And they have big bags of frozen organic blueberries, and sometimes other fruits, too. Anyway, if it's an option, check it out.

It's got to be hard to feed such a crowd on this diet. Especially with several kids. We have it a lot easier, with only one 5 yo.

Christie

#149 of 354 Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
MT and I have been talkling about high doses of vit. C neutralizing toxins/die off in Nutrition/Immunology 101.
What exactly is considered high doses? I am taking Sodium Ascorbate but I don't think I am taking "enough".

Quote:
Thanks so much for telling me about the AFP Peptizyde. We got some samples, and now we've bought some. Ds is having much better blood sugars!! And we only just started giving him a full dose at a meal today. We're excited!
Can you point out where it was mentioned in this thread? I can't find it anywhere? Please! I am really interested in hearing more about it.
Is it suppose to help with blood sugar problems?
#150 of 354 Old 07-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang
What exactly is considered high doses? I am taking Sodium Ascorbate but I don't think I am taking "enough".
Well, I'm not Jane, and I don't what conversation she's referring to, but I take between 5 and 12 grams a day, when I'm not fighting something off (a cold or the flu). When I'm fighting something off, I take even more. I give my 5 yo ds between 1.5 and 3 grams a day. It's great if one of us is reacting to something! It also helps to keep us from becoming too toxic.

Quote:
Can you point out where it was mentioned in this thread? I can't find it anywhere? Please! I am really interested in hearing more about it.
Is it suppose to help with blood sugar problems?
I think it was just an aside at one point. Jane and I have been in a couple of threads together where enzymes were discussed. She's the one who told me about them and their benefits. She also told me about a book to read, and when I mentioned that the Peptizyde had some things in it ds couldn't tolerate, she told me that there is an AFP (all fungal protease) Peptizyde that doen't contain those things.

Anyway, AFP Peptizyde is mainly marketed for autistic children to either replace or complement a gluten-free and casien-free diet. Ds isn't autistic, but he has Type 1 diabetes, and gluten intolerance (prob. celiac), as well as a dairy intolerance. We have found that removing gluten and dairy, and other foods that he was reacting to, has improved his blood sugar, and now this enzyme has improved it further. I have heard nothing about it improving other's blood sugars. I think that it's more that it digests his food more completely and there are fewer food particles getting into his blood stream for him to react to. And it may be contributing to more gut healing (and maybe other healing, too).

One last comment, kind a tying together of your two questions. Vit. C, including sodium ascorbate, will help blood sugars, but if you take enough, it will also show up on a blood test with a glucometer as sugar (which will look like a higher number, but it's a false high). Just to throw you off. I find that it doesn't do this at the doses I give ds, but at the doses I take, it can be confusing.

Hope this answers your question. If I didn't, or if I brought up more questions, feel free to ask. This is an issue near and dear to my heart.

Christie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page