SCD chefs...let's share! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2006, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it.....does the Search function, even work? Are any of the Applegate Farms products legal? According to the ingredient lists, the sliced roast beef, the Great Organic hot dogs and the Stadium-style hot dogs might be (depending on what's in the onion powder). Any advice?

I'm dying here.....I'm just starting month 5 of SCD and can't do legumes, cheese (even goat, which is the only yogurt I can do), nuts or nut butters, winter squash, cabbage, cauliflower......I'm ruling out trying new foods until after Christmas, when I hope I'll see some advancement in foods I can tolerate. My life is currently eggs, meat, fruits, veggies, repeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it.....does the Search function, even work? Are any of the Applegate Farms products legal? According to the ingredient lists, the sliced roast beef, the Great Organic hot dogs and the Stadium-style hot dogs might be (depending on what's in the onion powder). Any advice?

I'm dying here.....I'm just starting month 5 of SCD and can't do legumes, cheese (even goat, which is the only yogurt I can do), nuts or nut butters, winter squash, cabbage, cauliflower......I'm ruling out trying new foods until after Christmas, when I hope I'll see some advancement in foods I can tolerate. My life is currently eggs, meat, fruits, veggies, repeat.
No - none of the Applegate products are legal as far as I know. When I first started SCD I had read that the *regular* turkey breast (not smoked) and the hot dogs were legal but I've since discovered that that was wrong information.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
No - none of the Applegate products are legal as far as I know. When I first started SCD I had read that the *regular* turkey breast (not smoked) and the hot dogs were legal but I've since discovered that that was wrong information.
:
Thanks for saving me the trouble of buying them - they're not cheap.

As a side note, I've found that a couple of the house-made sausages at Whole Foods in the deli case are legal. We've had good luck with the Carribean jerk pork sausage and one of the brat recipes. You just have to be careful to grill them about the spices that are on the ingredient label. Not cheap, about $5 a pound even on sale, but sometimes it's worth it......
Old 09-05-2006, 12:10 PM

I know, they're not cheap and they're not even that good really. IT's the carageenan that's the illegal ingredient.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
:
Thanks for saving me the trouble of buying them - they're not cheap.

As a side note, I've found that a couple of the house-made sausages at Whole Foods in the deli case are legal. We've had good luck with the Carribean jerk pork sausage and one of the brat recipes. You just have to be careful to grill them about the spices that are on the ingredient label. Not cheap, about $5 a pound even on sale, but sometimes it's worth it......
Thanks for the info. Sorry you are not progressing on the foods. Have you tried any fermented veggies yet? I recently found chinese broccoli at the grocery store, it tastes like the regular stuff but instead of floweretts they have leaves. Why are you waiting until after Xmas to introduce new foods?

We create our own reality.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I know, they're not cheap and they're not even that good really. IT's the carageenan that's the illegal ingredient.
The Applegate Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs don't have carageenan in them. I don't see anything on the ingredient list that would be illegal, unless there's something in the "spices" that would be a problem. As I've said before, we're not completely strict about the SCD diet, so I went ahead and bought some. My son has had no problem with them (but then, he's celiac, but doesn't have a lot of the gut issues that SCD addresses). We know right away when he has a problem with a food, because his blood sugar goes out of control (he has diabetes). Is there something I should know about the "spices" in that product? The product came recommended by someone who is super careful about her diet, so I didn't check with the company. Maybe I should.

And by the way, the hot dogs I mentioned actually do taste pretty good. But they are very expensive, so dh and I leave them for ds for the most part.

Are we maybe talking about two different hot dog products? I know they sell chicken, and I haven't even looked at the label for those, so maybe those have carageenan? We definitely stay away from carageenan!

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum
Thanks for the info. Sorry you are not progressing on the foods. Have you tried any fermented veggies yet? I recently found chinese broccoli at the grocery store, it tastes like the regular stuff but instead of floweretts they have leaves. Why are you waiting until after Xmas to introduce new foods?
Thanks for the love I'll have to explore the chinese broccoli, I haven't yet determined if regular broccoli brings reactions on for me or not - I know that cauliflower and cabbage do

I'm waiting until after Christmas for a few reasons. My reactions manifest as very painful acne, so it's a frustrating cycle of try new food-wait 2 days-get acne-wait 4 days for acne to tone down - try new food. I'm really tired of being on such a restrictive diet and still having such painful acne. Also, I'm 3 months pregnant - there's a lot of rhyme and reason to what I react to (anything remotely starchy or cruciferous, any legumes or nuts), so I'm hesitant to subject my baby to the possibility of such a strong autoimmune response when i already have healthy, sustaining foods that I can stick with. I have the sense that if I give my body another 3-4 months to heal and not be constantly challenged with new foods, that I'll make a lot of progress. I can already see that my reactions, when they occur, are much less severe than they used to be, so I'm hoping that a few more months will allow me to handle foods that BTVC says I should be able to.

Sorry for the long story - it's so frustrating, though not nearly as frustrating as the alternative I see all of these stories of how people lead almost normal lives on SCD, but it usually revolves around foods that I can't have yet (almond flour, cheese, etc.). Yesterday, I thought that I might seriously be willing to do harm to a person if it meant I could just have a BLT......
Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 PM

Hi Shana! I sure hope you find that healing a bit longer, and without challenges, will work for you! I'm sure it's so frustrating. Especially with all the cravings and aversions of pregnancy. I'm impressed with what you're doing for your baby (trying to avoid the autoimmune response). I'm doing that, too, but only having to avoid gluten and dairy. And like I said in another thread (at least I think I did) I really admire you for being able to stay on the SCD through the first trimester. I couldn't/didn't. Then again, we've been on it for ds and dh, not for me. Maybe if I were seeing a benefit like you are I'd be able to (I hope so! I'd hate to think I was that weak).

We found that with ds, until we removed all the foods he reacted to, there was little healing happening. Now that we don't try new foods, and have found all of the foods he was reacting to, things are progressing. I hope the same is true of you! Just so you don't feel alone, he can eat very few foods, too. There are two nuts he can tolerate, but we try not to over-do those (both because we don't want him to start reacting to them, and because they're both expensive -- pine nuts and brazil nuts). There are also several veggies (including the winter squashes, we recently discovered), and a few fruits that he can't eat. He eats no dairy. But I make him some coconut yogurt.

Someone mentioned cultured veggies, have you tried kefir? We have some water kefir grains, and I think that drinking the water kefir has helped ds quite a bit. Because I can only make so much kefir, he probably doesn't get as much as he should. It would be a little tricky to make it SCD legal (I use agave nectar, which isn't SCD legal but works for us, esp. with ds having diabetes). Honey will kill them or change their structure. Ask me how I know . And using honey will make the kefir very alcoholic (at least it smells and tastes that way). But you could use juice. It would just change their color. They like juice, though. Anyway, it's a thought.

Also, something that has really helped ds (more than anything other than going gluten-free and dairy-free) is taking high quality enzymes. Right after going gf and df, we started noticing other foods falling off the "OK" list. He was losing a lot foods in just a short time. We started him on enzymes, and he's hardly lost any foods since. He's also needing less insulin. And his behavior has changed much for the better. Again, just another thought.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the love I'll have to explore the chinese broccoli, I haven't yet determined if regular broccoli brings reactions on for me or not - I know that cauliflower and cabbage do

I'm waiting until after Christmas for a few reasons. My reactions manifest as very painful acne, so it's a frustrating cycle of try new food-wait 2 days-get acne-wait 4 days for acne to tone down - try new food. I'm really tired of being on such a restrictive diet and still having such painful acne. Also, I'm 3 months pregnant - there's a lot of rhyme and reason to what I react to (anything remotely starchy or cruciferous, any legumes or nuts), so I'm hesitant to subject my baby to the possibility of such a strong autoimmune response when i already have healthy, sustaining foods that I can stick with. I have the sense that if I give my body another 3-4 months to heal and not be constantly challenged with new foods, that I'll make a lot of progress. I can already see that my reactions, when they occur, are much less severe than they used to be, so I'm hoping that a few more months will allow me to handle foods that BTVC says I should be able to.

Sorry for the long story - it's so frustrating, though not nearly as frustrating as the alternative I see all of these stories of how people lead almost normal lives on SCD, but it usually revolves around foods that I can't have yet (almond flour, cheese, etc.). Yesterday, I thought that I might seriously be willing to do harm to a person if it meant I could just have a BLT......
I admire your willpower for your baby! It is very frustrating, the whole process of healing is slow. I still do not know for sure all of DS's trigger foods, I have a feeling it could be a variety of vegetables but I can only restrict my diet so much. I currently eat SCD no dairy, no fruit, I tried no nuts but after 2 weeks it didn't seem to do anything so now I try to have a nut butter only every few days. YOu are doing an amazing thing for your baby!

Old 09-06-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB
The Applegate Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs don't have carageenan in them. I don't see anything on the ingredient list that would be illegal, unless there's something in the "spices" that would be a problem. As I've said before, we're not completely strict about the SCD diet, so I went ahead and bought some. My son has had no problem with them (but then, he's celiac, but doesn't have a lot of the gut issues that SCD addresses). We know right away when he has a problem with a food, because his blood sugar goes out of control (he has diabetes). Is there something I should know about the "spices" in that product? The product came recommended by someone who is super careful about her diet, so I didn't check with the company. Maybe I should.

And by the way, the hot dogs I mentioned actually do taste pretty good. But they are very expensive, so dh and I leave them for ds for the most part.

Are we maybe talking about two different hot dog products? I know they sell chicken, and I haven't even looked at the label for those, so maybe those have carageenan? We definitely stay away from carageenan!

Christie
Dunno about the hot dogs. I do know that the deli meat products have carageenan though. I ate the turkey even when I first started SCD because I had read that the turkey and the bologna (turkey) were legal. Then later I found out they weren't. That's what I get for not doing my own research I guess.
Anyway, I didn't have any issues with them btw. I just didn't like the hot dogs because the outside casing was tooooo chewy. DD liked them though!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:02 AM

OT Shanna,
On the HTG thread I posted about goji juice. It's supposed to help many things including digestion AND acne. Anyway, when I read it I thought of you.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Dunno about the hot dogs. I do know that the deli meat products have carageenan though. I ate the turkey even when I first started SCD because I had read that the turkey and the bologna (turkey) were legal. Then later I found out they weren't. That's what I get for not doing my own research I guess.
Anyway, I didn't have any issues with them btw. I just didn't like the hot dogs because the outside casing was tooooo chewy. DD liked them though!
You know, I'm starting to think that Applegate may have changed their hotdogs (for the better, which is pretty rare IME). Their casing is definitely not chewy now (I hate chewy casings, too -- gross!). Maybe that's what it is? The person who told me about them mentioned them as if they were a new product.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
OT Shanna,
On the HTG thread I posted about goji juice. It's supposed to help many things including digestion AND acne. Anyway, when I read it I thought of you.
Thanks for the tip

Everyone else, thanks for all of the support for being on SCD while pregnant - it wasn't much of a choice, since I strongly suspect that my two previous miscarriages were related to leaky gut But that's OT.....

Has anyone found any SCD-legal bacon? BTVC mentions making BLTs (todays craving, by the way) with almond bread, etc., but I couldn't see where you could get SCD bacon. We order our beef and pork from a farmer who does his own curing of the hams and bacon - He's trying to research for me how to do bacon and ham that I can have, but he tells me that I may be asking for "bacon-free bacon"

Also, I've had good luck with Annie's Organic yellow mustard. Amazing what a victory it can feel like to find prepared foods that we can eat.....

Going to make the BTVC meatloaf tonight. If the homemade catsup isn't too gross, my next magic trick will be to make cocktail sauce - if I can ever find fresh horseradish root......
Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 PM

Just tried this recipe tonight, which is SCD-legal:
http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/goulash1.html

Ooooohhhh, yum!!!! I substituted equal volume of tomato juice for the tomato paste and water, and served it over the zucchini "noodles" in BTVC. And, for those of you who are pg and needing to stock the freezer (anyone, anyone? ), it looks like it will freeze great.

I can also report that the vegetable meatloaf in BTVC was divine, and that homemade cocktail sauce (homemade catsup + horseradish root) with shrimp is a pretty awesome SCD treat too. I'm gaining a small but reliable aresenal
Old 09-13-2006, 01:24 PM

Try the SCDRecipe site for bacon cure recipes. http://scdrecipe.com/recipes/r_036_00364.php

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 PM

Anyone have a good pumpkin/pecan muffin or bread recipe? I've looked around the scd recipe websites and can't find one, though it seems it would be a popular thing. And I'm just so low on time right now that I'd love to find one I knew would be good as opposed to spending time in the kitchen to make something not so tasty. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yup! Just use the basic muffin (banana) and sub butternut squash with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon. So for the muffins it would be:
1 cup raw almond butter (instead of cashew)
1 cup cooked butternut squash (instead of banana)
2 eggs
and cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.
I also add a bit of honey.

Makes 12 muffins at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or so.

I also love to add pecans or walnuts to these!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:10 PM

Hey! They sound good. I think they're probably anti-candida *legal* too. (Minus the honey.)
Old 09-22-2006, 04:37 PM

Ok.... encouragement needed....

1. we went from gluten and casein free to adding cheese and butter and going SCD oh, three months or so ago.
2. Now, one of our children has an inner inflamation and we need to cut dairy out, the inflamation probably was made worse around the time of the SCD switch to dairy.

So..solution would be to cut out dairy and do the SCD without dairy, right?

Are there any resourses for SCD without Dairy? I need a cookbook.

Then problem #3 Dd is supposed to cut all red meat out of her diet. DH is not supposed to have red meat...our son who is really thin (too thin, since starting the SCD) doesn't eat much meat anyway. We were having bacon more than what was allowed...but I was getting sugar free bacon. We were eating lots of it.
DD is supposed to eat seafood and a little chicken. We all LOVE chicken, but dd doesn't like seafood....ok..I am exploring every seafood but
she doesn't like crablegs, she only sometimes will eat shrimp, we made almond salmon patties last night, she didn't eat it...she said she would eat the thing we used to make a long time ago-udon noodles with little neck clams, garlic and oil. The udon are not SCD, but I don't have many ideas. I guess we could use the zucchini noodles in place...it might be good that way. Can you do SCD without red meat and dairy? If there is someone who is doing it w/o, can you share what you are eating?

She is allowed to eat the goat yogurt, but until I get it to taste yummy like yo baby soy yogurt, I have gone back to letting her have that because that is the only way she will take her coromega. I've had tart problems with my goat yogurt and have switched my starter. They won't eat it if it's tart.

Our diet needs a lot of tweaking. I was going to go off the SCD and back to GF/CF, but now I don't know what to do.

This is just hard. Dinners are my big problem right now. They don't like the cassarole type concoctions from the SCD cookbook. It's just been meat, and a veggie for so long...now were in a food rut.

I've been cheating by using a rasberry vinagrette dressing on our chicken and walnut salads. We make the walnuts with honey according to the SCD. We put the grilled chicken, cut up apples, honey roasted walnuts on top of organic raw spinach or organic spring mix.

Does anyone have a reciepe for a rasberry vinagrette that is SCD legal?
Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 PM

Bestbirths-have you tried lamb at all? I use ground lamb all the time for a quick meal with some veggies. I do SCD without dairy or eggs but my baby is 9months and so picky eating is not our challenge yet. Have you tried the cauliflower mashed 'potatoes' yet? Steam a cauliflower then puree with butter/ghee, tastes like fluffy mashed potatoes. Some fish that is mild tastinghiting, cod or orange roughy. I get all in the frozen section at Trader Joe's. YOu can dip them in egg then in almond flour and sautee them in butter/ghee/oil. I would imagine you could cook raspberries(there are directions in BTVC) and then add them to a plain vinagrette.

Pecanbread.com may have more dairy free recipies.

YOu certainly have challenges to preparing food for your family, good luck! Hopefully once your girls are feeling better they will want to explore new foods.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 PM

I have no idea how that welcome smiley got into the previous post

Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 PM

I just tried this recipe and it is yummy! Elaine mentions that kohlrabi is not legal but that was because the stuff she had tried was starchy, mine was more like the stalk of broccoli than like a potato. I would suggest cutting off the stems before dicing the leaves, they are very fibrous.

Spicy Kohlrabi
Ingredients:
4-5 med kohlrabi with greens, washed, about 2 lbs. (1 kg)
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 bay leaves
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 serrano peppers, finely chopped, optional
1/2 tsp crushed carom seeds
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2-2 c water
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp Garam Masala for garnish
Directions:
Peel, dice kohlrabi into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces. Shred/mince greens.

Heat oil over medium high. Add bay leaves, saute 15 - 20 seconds, remove.

Stir in garlic, peppers, carom seeds, coriander, peppercorns, turmeric. Add greens.

Cook, stirring occasionaly, 5-7 minutes. Add diced kohlrabi, stir occasionally, 2-3 minutes. Add water. Bring to a boil over high heat.

Cover, boil about 5 minutes. Reduce heat, simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, 35-40 minutes. Uncover.

Add lemon juice, cook until most liquid evaporates and dish is almost dry, about 5 minutes. Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with Garam Masala.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 AM

Ooh..thanks for the ideas...

Is lamb a red meat or a white meat? I thought it was red.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
Ooh..thanks for the ideas...

Is lamb a red meat or a white meat? I thought it was red.
It is...
Quote:
Oxygen is delivered to muscles by the red cells in the blood. One of the proteins in meat, myoglobin, holds the oxygen in the muscle. The amount of myoglobin in animal muscles determines the color of meat. Lamb is called a "red" meat because it contains more myoglobin than chicken or fish. Other "red" meats are beef, veal, and pork.
Why are you cutting out red meats?

Old 09-23-2006, 02:34 AM

dd and dh both have conditions where there is inflammation in their bodies, dd hasn't been diagnosed for sure because her test results aren't back yet. She has inflammation in both eyes and what we now know is joint pain. Someone from MDC put me in touch with a natural doc who said dd's diet should be no sugar or dairy, except for yogurt for probiotics. Only really healthy breads (which I would have her take with houston's enzymes). Raw at least 50%. Lots of fish, some chicken, no red meat, no cheese, no cheating. Juice-carrots, celery with apples. Wheatgrass, bluegreen algea, and barley.

I think we can kind of do this diet and incorporate it into the SCD, with some modifications.

The only thing is we need to eliminate dairy which is butter and the only way i know how to do that is to switch to soy natures balance buttery sticks. Otherwise, how would we make baked goods w/o butter or buttery sticks? Soy yogurt is the only way dd will take her fish oil. So we are going to make some modifications, but still keep going in the SCD direction.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'd get off that soy all together. Coconut oil and palm oil are great for baking/cooking. Olive oil is also fine for savory recipes. Youcan make nut or coconut yogurt too.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:12 PM

Bestbirths-I am sorry to hear about your dd's inflammation. I hope SCD helps. I would agree with staying away from soy. You also could try ghee/clarified butter for baking, cooking, eating. What about fermented veggies? Maybe your girls would eat the ginger carrots (in NT)? Have you eliminated wheat/gluten yet? That is the first thing I cut out of my diet and I saw huge improvements in my allergies.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:52 PM

Is ghee or clarified butter considered dairy? Can we replace reciepes that call for butter with straight coconut oil or palm oil? We have 2 huge tubs of coconut oil.

Mmm. Ginger carrots. I have ginger AND carrots...

We eliminated gluten a year and a half ago, but continued to cheat once a week with houstons enzymes, and when we first went SCD (two months) we didn't cheat at all, but this last month has been really hectic, our sump pump failed, basement flooded, and when we weren't eating raw fruit and veggies, we went out to eat and took enzymes. I started buying all beef hot dogs (hebrew national)..and going in a crap direction for just a few weeks...then noticed dd having the problems, took her to the doc...the saga continues...so it's like eek...back onto a special diet..the sump pump mess is cleaned up..things can return to having more time in the kitchen.

Yeah...I need some kitchen time making a yogurt she likes. I think I'll work on this first.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:25 PM

I was wondering if any of you have this book? Grain-free Gourmet: Delicious Recipes for Healthy Living
Is it ok for SCD?
Old 09-23-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

It depends on why you are eliminating the dairy. Technically Clarified butter is considered to be a fat. It is saturated fat, but it's very healthy. I used to be able to eat it, but my new little guy can't do dairy at all and even reacts to ghee. But, it doesn't have the protein in it that causes the sensitivities.

User Tag List