SCD chefs...let's share! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#241 of 354 Old 10-07-2006, 03:27 PM
 
LovinLiviLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: dreaming of a day when . . .
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any good dairy free/egg free crockpot recipes? I tried the porkchops and lentils on scdrecipe.org, and it was great, but unfortunately I don't think I'm ready for lentils (I knew it was too early, but I couldn't resist).

I already do the basic chicken and broth thing in the crockpot as well as pot roast with carrots, but looking for any other tasty ideas.
LovinLiviLou is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#242 of 354 Old 10-08-2006, 08:10 PM
 
2rubies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it's late, but just subbing! I had great luck with SCD when I was pg in the spring, but then, somehow it just wasn't so easy to cook all the time after he actually came out : and I need to get back to it. I have a lot of reading to do, and a couple of recipes I can share, but don't have time now. Thanks for all this info!

Kristin

Kristin, Mommy to 3 boys : (11,9,5) :

2rubies is offline  
#243 of 354 Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
 
Yin Yang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Beautifull Bellingham,WA
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please can you tell me where are you all buying your nut flours? It's not available at our Whole Foods or anywhere near where we live, so I was wondering if you have any good place you buy yours?
And also nut butters...they are just so expencive
Yin Yang is offline  
#244 of 354 Old 10-10-2006, 02:34 PM
 
chasmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang View Post
Please can you tell me where are you all buying your nut flours? It's not available at our Whole Foods or anywhere near where we live, so I was wondering if you have any good place you buy yours?
And also nut butters...they are just so expencive
Is there a Trader Joe's near you? That's where we get nuts, nut butters and almond flour (called almond meal).
chasmyn is offline  
#245 of 354 Old 10-10-2006, 02:36 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I had a Trader Joes.

I order from here:
http://www.digestivewellness.com

They have excellent cs and good products.
Annikate is offline  
#246 of 354 Old 10-10-2006, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 11,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lucy's Kitchen Shop is also reasonable for almond flour. I get my butter either from a coop or my new favorite place...www.futtersnutbutters.com
Panserbjorne is offline  
#247 of 354 Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM
 
Yin Yang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Beautifull Bellingham,WA
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
lucy's Kitchen Shop is also reasonable for almond flour. I get my butter either from a coop or my new favorite place...www.futtersnutbutters.com
WOW! Yammy yammy stuff on that website!! Thanks for sharing.
How about those chocolate/nut butters!! Man, that has danger written all over it Have you tried the one's with organge or cherry oil added to it?

another question - does it matter if you use roasted or raw butters since it's gonna be cooked anyway? Which ones do you prefer? I'd go raw if I am gonna eat it rae, but dry roasted seems a good choice for cooking.
Yin Yang is offline  
#248 of 354 Old 10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
 
LovinLiviLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: dreaming of a day when . . .
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
lucy's Kitchen Shop is also reasonable for almond flour. I get my butter either from a coop or my new favorite place...www.futtersnutbutters.com
A second vote for lucy's. Just a tip - the shipping for 10 lbs is the same as for 5, so you may want to go for the 10 lbs and then freeze some. For other types of nuts, I just buy them raw and organic at our local farmer's market and then soak them NT style and process in the food processor. It isn't as good as lucy's, though. For nutbutters, I've been using the ones I can find at Whole Foods, but may hae to convert to ff's new find.
LovinLiviLou is offline  
#249 of 354 Old 10-11-2006, 01:26 PM
 
LovinLiviLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: dreaming of a day when . . .
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
I wish I had a Trader Joes.

I order from here:
http://www.digestivewellness.com

They have excellent cs and good products.
Awesome! I don't know how I've missed this website til now. Oh, I'm off to find some goodies to buy . . . (it's sad how excited I get when I can find something ready made that I can eat!)
LovinLiviLou is offline  
#250 of 354 Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 PM
 
menudo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: S to the J
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coincidence?

I just received a call at my job from someone on the SCD diet. I have heard of similar diets but never this title. Anyway, I come here to MDC and this is the mostrecently posted thread in H& H...cool.

Well, I beleive some of my employers products fit the bill. I am finding out for the customer who called. I will let you all know too! Until then I will try to read much of the thread. And the customer said he was on msg. boards about SCD and all- -so HI! if that was you!
menudo is offline  
#251 of 354 Old 10-20-2006, 07:11 AM
 
corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000 View Post
Thanks for the tip

Everyone else, thanks for all of the support for being on SCD while pregnant - it wasn't much of a choice, since I strongly suspect that my two previous miscarriages were related to leaky gut But that's OT.....

Has anyone found any SCD-legal bacon? BTVC mentions making BLTs (todays craving, by the way) with almond bread, etc., but I couldn't see where you could get SCD bacon. We order our beef and pork from a farmer who does his own curing of the hams and bacon - He's trying to research for me how to do bacon and ham that I can have, but he tells me that I may be asking for "bacon-free bacon"

Also, I've had good luck with Annie's Organic yellow mustard. Amazing what a victory it can feel like to find prepared foods that we can eat.....

Going to make the BTVC meatloaf tonight. If the homemade catsup isn't too gross, my next magic trick will be to make cocktail sauce - if I can ever find fresh horseradish root......
I get my sugar free bacon at Costco. It's the Kirkland brand, salt free. Yummy

Yesterday, I celebrated my first year on the SCD. I gotta tell you I feel great! I recomend this diet to everyone. My Dr. said I had Crohn's, about 3 years ago. I was on pentasa, and he was talking surgery. I mentioned the diet to him, but he said there was no cure for Crohn's Disease- only surgery. I went home and started the diet anyway. After 5 days, I felt great, and improved a little every day. 6 months later, I went to the dr, and he was pressing on my gut for all he was worth, saying "Doesn't that hurt" ?!! I said no, it was a little uncomfortable, but no pain. He said "I don't know what you are doing, but keep on doing it". I showed him the book BTVC and he had heard of the author. I quit all my meds about a month ago, and con't wait for my next colonoscopy!!
I feel I could be cured of my Crohn's Disease, but am staying on the diet anyway. I don't find it's too restrictive, because there are substitutes for just abaout everything. I do miss a few things now and again, but certainly not enough to eat them.

I find the freezer is my friend. I make most things ahead of time, and pop them in the freezer. Then, when my family has pizza, I have meatza. If they have chicken wings for a snack, I have my homemade honey garlic chiken wings. I keep stews, caseroles, and other premade foods ready in the freezer, and then I'm not tempted to cheat when I need a fast meal.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I just joined and wanted to introduce myself.
corky is offline  
#252 of 354 Old 10-20-2006, 08:08 AM
 
corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
Anyone have any good dairy free/egg free crockpot recipes? I tried the porkchops and lentils on scdrecipe.org, and it was great, but unfortunately I don't think I'm ready for lentils (I knew it was too early, but I couldn't resist).

I already do the basic chicken and broth thing in the crockpot as well as pot roast with carrots, but looking for any other tasty ideas.
I put my pork chops in a casserole dish, and dump homemede salsa on top. cover, and cook for a few hours. Wonderful. If you don't have homemade salsa I see that Pace salsa doesn't include sugar on the ingredient list. However, you may not want to chance it. I myself am very strict about what I eat.
corky is offline  
#253 of 354 Old 10-20-2006, 10:16 AM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to update on this. The trip went well. My mil decided that since I was cooking she and fil would eat summer sausage, hard boiled eggs and cut up veggies for every meal :eyeroll

I will say that with this recipe you could easily double the cream sauce and I made it with 3 medium eggplants and could have easily used twice that much eggplant. Also be careful to not over salt it and don't cut the egg plant too thin. It really shrinks when you sweat it and broil it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
Well, I don't know if this will look too "normal" or not. It might be too close, but you'll have to be the judge.

Moussaka
makes a 9x13 pan full (for plenty of leftovers or enough to feed a large family)

Eggplant:
2 medium to large eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Salt and allow to drain in a colander for 15-30 minutes. Brush with olive oil and broil on each side until nicely browned.

Meat sauce:
3 lb. ground meat (whatever you like)
2 onions, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. oregano
4 tsp. to 2 Tbsp. tomato sauce (whatever you use)

Brwon the meat, saute the onions and garlic, add everything else and mix well. You can heat it through or not.

Cream sauce:
7 Tbsp. coconut flour
7 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 3/4 cups cocont milk
3 eggs, beaten
sprinkle of salt and nutmeg, if you want

Mix the coconut flour and oil together in a small saucepan over medium low heat until pretty smooth. Slowly add the coconut milk while whisking. Whisk slowly but constantly until the sauce starts to thicken and bubble. Turn the heat down to low. Spoon a small amount of the milk mixture into the eggs while whisking the eggs. Keep adding milk mixture to the eggs until you've added about a third or half of the mixture. Add the egg mix back into the thickened milk. Raise the heat slightly and stir constantly until the mixture bubbles and thickens a bit more. The sauce won't be quite as smooth as with regular flour and milk, but it will work.

Now, to make the casserole, you start with a layer of eggplant slices, top with a layer of meat sauce, and then finish with a layer of cream sauce. Repeat the layering. I usually just do two layers of each, but you could use three if you want.

Bake at 350 for 45 min. to 1 hr. No need to bake it until you're ready to eat it. Just assemble it and refrigerate until you're ready to bake and eat.

It's a bit of work, but it's yummy!

Enjoy your visit.

Christie

P.S. You could also make a frittata when you're there. THey're easy enough that you could make enough for everyone to eat (you could even make a separate one for them that included potatoes and cheese).

Also, we just a week with my family, and we made meals that everyone could eat. We just had things available for them that would make the meal more yummy to them.

We grilled chicken and burgers, and also veggies. We grilled potatoes, too, for them, or they could have been baked. We also made soup. And we made taco salad. We ate what we could of the fixins, and they added other things (like chips and cheese). It's a serve youself sort of thing, and everyone just took what they wanted from what was available.

Just a thought. It wouldn't work with folks who are fairly rigid in their thinking, but we were lucky that they aren't. And my aunt asked me for my ideas of what to make, and what we could eat, so that we could all eat more or less the same thing.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#254 of 354 Old 10-20-2006, 02:50 PM
 
chasmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
I put my pork chops in a casserole dish, and dump homemede salsa on top. cover, and cook for a few hours. Wonderful. If you don't have homemade salsa I see that Pace salsa doesn't include sugar on the ingredient list. However, you may not want to chance it. I myself am very strict about what I eat.
Corky, have you checked out the Healing the Gut tribe thread? It sounds like you may have some valueable input there Lots of us are on SCD and have many questions.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=531440
chasmyn is offline  
#255 of 354 Old 10-20-2006, 07:25 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
I get my sugar free bacon at Costco. It's the Kirkland brand, salt free. Yummy

Yesterday, I celebrated my first year on the SCD. I gotta tell you I feel great! I recomend this diet to everyone. My Dr. said I had Crohn's, about 3 years ago. I was on pentasa, and he was talking surgery. I mentioned the diet to him, but he said there was no cure for Crohn's Disease- only surgery. I went home and started the diet anyway. After 5 days, I felt great, and improved a little every day. 6 months later, I went to the dr, and he was pressing on my gut for all he was worth, saying "Doesn't that hurt" ?!! I said no, it was a little uncomfortable, but no pain. He said "I don't know what you are doing, but keep on doing it". I showed him the book BTVC and he had heard of the author. I quit all my meds about a month ago, and con't wait for my next colonoscopy!!
I feel I could be cured of my Crohn's Disease, but am staying on the diet anyway. I don't find it's too restrictive, because there are substitutes for just abaout everything. I do miss a few things now and again, but certainly not enough to eat them.

I find the freezer is my friend. I make most things ahead of time, and pop them in the freezer. Then, when my family has pizza, I have meatza. If they have chicken wings for a snack, I have my homemade honey garlic chiken wings. I keep stews, caseroles, and other premade foods ready in the freezer, and then I'm not tempted to cheat when I need a fast meal.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I just joined and wanted to introduce myself.
Wow! I'm so impressed and inspired. It sounds like you're very self-disciplined, and probably pretty creative, too. And as you say, you may be cured of the Crohn's (sounds like a definite possibility). But who knows if you would continue to do so well, or if it might even come back, if you went back to a "normal" diet. Good for you for sticking with what feels the best for your body!

And welcome to MDC!

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#256 of 354 Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Just wanted to update on this. The trip went well. My mil decided that since I was cooking she and fil would eat summer sausage, hard boiled eggs and cut up veggies for every meal :eyeroll

I will say that with this recipe you could easily double the cream sauce and I made it with 3 medium eggplants and could have easily used twice that much eggplant. Also be careful to not over salt it and don't cut the egg plant too thin. It really shrinks when you sweat it and broil it.
So glad the trip went well. Ah, well, if they want to eat that way... They sound like my ILs. In fact, after your last post about them, I meant to come back and post a story about mine (and then I forgot). Dh and I got married at my IL's house. They refused to serve food that I could eat - at my own wedding!! It would have been so easy for them, too. Just buy the platter from the whole foods store rather than from Safeway. But no. I had to make extra stuff for me, just so that I'd have something to eat. They also complained that I bought flowers! They said it was unnecessary. Maybe for their wedding, but not for mine!

What you said about the moussaka made me realize an omission on my part. I forgot to say to rinse the eggplant after letting it sit with the salt on it and before brushing it with oil. I can't believe I forgot that! Sorry. As for using more eggplant, I'm sure that would work if you made more layers. And if you aren't such big meat-eaters as we are. I hope you liked it anyway.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#257 of 354 Old 10-24-2006, 06:01 AM
 
PrairieBohemian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh has had chrnoic diarrhea for 1.5 years and we are starting him on SCD right away so I'm subbing!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
PrairieBohemian is offline  
#258 of 354 Old 10-24-2006, 11:59 AM
 
PrairieBohemian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we are about to start dh on SCD. I was wondering what the best set up would be for making yogourt? Should I buy a crock pot? A heating pad? A thermos yougourt-maker?

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere but I don't have time to search the million yogourt threads!

All advice GREATLY appreciated.

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
PrairieBohemian is offline  
#259 of 354 Old 10-24-2006, 05:00 PM
 
PrairieBohemian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Legal or illegal?

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
PrairieBohemian is offline  
#260 of 354 Old 10-24-2006, 05:09 PM
 
LovinLiviLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: dreaming of a day when . . .
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by animus_silvae View Post
So we are about to start dh on SCD. I was wondering what the best set up would be for making yogourt? Should I buy a crock pot? A heating pad? A thermos yougourt-maker?

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere but I don't have time to search the million yogourt threads!

All advice GREATLY appreciated.
Lots of folks around here seem to have good luck with the heating pad method or the oven light method, but I couldn't regulate those at the right temp, so I went with a Salton (got it from amazon) with a glass mason jar. It works wonderfully for us. If you're going to be eating a lot of it, you may want more than 1.
LovinLiviLou is offline  
#261 of 354 Old 10-24-2006, 05:15 PM
 
LovinLiviLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: dreaming of a day when . . .
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any SCD legal ideas from chain type resteraunts? : Life is very chaotic right now (back at work for a month now) and it seems nearly impossible to always have enough food with me when I leave the house.

TIA
LovinLiviLou is offline  
#262 of 354 Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 PM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
Anyone have any SCD legal ideas from chain type resteraunts? : Life is very chaotic right now (back at work for a month now) and it seems nearly impossible to always have enough food with me when I leave the house.

TIA
I believe that most of the food they serve has some sort of 'flavoring' on top of that they often microwave their foods. I guess if you have to stick with meats and steamed veggies.

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#263 of 354 Old 10-24-2006, 10:21 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
Anyone have any SCD legal ideas from chain type resteraunts? : Life is very chaotic right now (back at work for a month now) and it seems nearly impossible to always have enough food with me when I leave the house.

TIA
In the beginning, the *only* thing I'd do (if we even ate out) was a tossed salad with nothing on it. Maybe a drizzle of olive oil.
Sorry! It's a tough diet I know!
Annikate is offline  
#264 of 354 Old 10-25-2006, 08:54 AM
 
corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
Anyone have any SCD legal ideas from chain type resteraunts? : Life is very chaotic right now (back at work for a month now) and it seems nearly impossible to always have enough food with me when I leave the house.

TIA
I don't know if you have a Swiss Chalet where you live, but I can eat there no problem. The only thing they put on the chicken before roasting it is salt. They allow a substitution of salad (plain of course or with vinegar, or a wedge of lemon) or fresh veggies which is broccoli, cauliflour, and carrot, instead of the fries or rice.

At fast food outlets, I usually just have a plain salad.

I carry the SCD cards with me and show them to the servers at sit down restaurants. Usually the chef or restaurant manager comes to the table to talk to me. I explain my needs, and something is arranged. I eat out quite a bit, and although it is restrictive, I've never gone hungry. If they are creative, they will make a salad dressing of lemonjuice & honey. The only problem I can recall was at a Olive Garden. They didn't have vinegar, and wanted me to pay $4.00 Or $5.00 extra for some wine to put on the salad. Needless to say, I ordered it plain. Very often they can grill a chicken breast or steak etc. to fill out the meal. Just make sure it hasn't been marinaded in something that has sugar or something else illegal.

I've eaten at Montana's, Kelsey's, Perkins, King's Buffet, and many other places. If there is something illegal in the food, I'll know in about 20 minutes. I haven't had a problem in months. Make sure your server shows the card to the chef. He may choose to keep the card while he prepares the meal.
corky is offline  
#265 of 354 Old 10-25-2006, 02:38 PM
 
Kundalini-Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LOVING LIFE and oh, so thankful!!!
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hmmm

where did you get these cards, i've never heard of them
Kundalini-Mama is offline  
#266 of 354 Old 10-25-2006, 10:40 PM
 
PrairieBohemian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a brand of yogourt called Astro Balkan Style. Its high fat (6%) and has only 3g of sugar per 1/2 cup (but complete carbs are listed at 7g so where is the other 4?). Its by far the lowest sugar count of all the natural store yogurts. The ingredient list cites "milk ingredients and active bacterial culture."

Would this be SCD acceptable? How low of a sugar count can you get while culturing your own?

I would really like to have a back-up source I could buy. Could this be it?

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
PrairieBohemian is offline  
#267 of 354 Old 10-25-2006, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 11,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope. To my knowledge you can't buy legal yogurt. The problem is that none of the conventional ones are incubated long enough to get rid of the lactose which is, essentially, sugar.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#268 of 354 Old 10-26-2006, 06:41 AM
 
corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
hmmm

where did you get these cards, i've never heard of them
I'm not sure if this will work, because I'm very computer illiterate, but if it doesn't work, I'll try again.

http://www.scdiet.org/4faq/abbrevfoodlist.pdf

I never learned how to post a link. If smomeone could explain in layman's terms I'd love to learn.
corky is offline  
#269 of 354 Old 10-26-2006, 06:58 AM
 
corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by animus_silvae View Post
I found a brand of yogourt called Astro Balkan Style. Its high fat (6%) and has only 3g of sugar per 1/2 cup (but complete carbs are listed at 7g so where is the other 4?). Its by far the lowest sugar count of all the natural store yogurts. The ingredient list cites "milk ingredients and active bacterial culture."

Would this be SCD acceptable? How low of a sugar count can you get while culturing your own?

I would really like to have a back-up source I could buy. Could this be it?
That depends. Are you using this yogurt to consume, or to culture your own yogurt?? This is the brand I buy, but I would never eat it straight. Instead, I use it to culture my own yogurt. Usually, I use it once or twice, and throw the rest away, or give it away before it expires. I'm sorry, I don't know the sugar content of my homemade yougurt, but I do know that it must be cultured for a minimum of 24 hours, for all the sugar to be disolved. That is why we do not eat store bought yogurt. We can't count on it being cultured enough to be safe. But making your own yogurt is very easy. I make mine in the oven with a 60 watt bulb. I've never had a problem. I don't have a thermometer to check the temp, but I do know when I take it out 24+ hours later, it's yogurt!!
corky is offline  
#270 of 354 Old 10-26-2006, 07:13 AM
 
corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
I'm not sure if this will work, because I'm very computer illiterate, but if it doesn't work, I'll try again.

http://www.scdiet.org/4faq/abbrevfoodlist.pdf

I never learned how to post a link. If smomeone could explain in layman's terms I'd love to learn.
It seems to have worked!!!!??!! Anyway, I forgot to add, I print these up on photo paper so they will stand up better in my wallet.
corky is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off