How do you do meal planning? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found these while searching -- i think they all have free trials -- i have not yet had time to look at them

10 minute "first thing morning nap" today -- not 60+ minutes and the day went down hill.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...,52079,00.asp#

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,47051,00.asp

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/...e-Cookin.shtml --- I am not a compute person, is this one a program (free standing) or not?

I'd like to have one as icon driven as possible -- not text driven. but that is just me

This one looks really kinda cool too -- but as far as i can tell, no shopping list --

http://www.nutritionanalyser.com/rec...pe_manager.htm

I'd say you should create one -- I'd guess it wouldn't be too complex (One of my 11th graders created -- in Access -- a database for credit at the school i worked in that did transcripts, emergency contact and family data and schdules and linked all the student data together for each student so i didn't have to re-enter everything a million times -- wouldn't think be something somewhat a kin to that??). You have as many bata test users as you need right here.

Aimee

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#32 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
Benji'sMom -- please share! HOW do you do this? This sounds exactly like what I need. If I could design a software program, it would store all my recipes plus a base/standard grocery list, and I could select from my recipes and it would auto-populate the grocery list for me. (Can you tell I used to be an IT project manager? LOL)
I'm a recovering programmer, myself. Pleased to meetcha!

I love using Radium Technology's Living Cookbook ( http://www.radiumtechnologies.com/pr...ngcookbook.asp )

I've had it for a couple of years now (free upgrades in perpetuity). It'll store the recipes, allow you to print them, search on them (great feature!), etc. Plus, it has a meal-planning calendar, and it'll generate a shopping list from that. It has an inventory-tracking feature, too, but I've never gotten the hang of using it.

They offer a free trial. Give it a shot and see what you think.

KC
#33 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 05:24 PM

I have just 2 cookbooks, and a very simple eating lifestyle. We have the recipies i know we like and here recently there just wasn't enough. i was SOO bored of chicken and ground beef it was horrible. finally added a few more things to the menu. I suggest having at least 20 different main dishes that you like. Have those earmarked in the book or printed as long as you can find them easily.

I use microsoft excel (spreadsheet) and just make the boxes big enough to hold the day of the week and the food item and then a box under that has a rough recipe, like for mex. burritoes it has spanish rice, steak chunks, cheese, tort. i made these up so i don't have exact measurments for stuff but if its a complicated rec. or uses ingredients that you don't use much you can put 1 lemon or thyme leaves or 1/2 c. xxxx indian sauce. that way you just adjust your menu each time (i do bi-weekly and coincides with paydayes) and you print it out, have a pen and paper and go through it and put what you need, compared to what you already have. you'll know that you don't want to buy all of the fresh tom. right now cause they would go bad and be a waste or whatever.

we have leftovers but my dh eats them for "breakfast" (he works during the night and gets home when i get up) so i don't get to eat them for lunch. i just have easy lunches. home made pizza pockets (see you use the leftovers from pizza to make these with reg. tort. shells), sandwhiches, pot pies, whatever is easy and single serving (dh is asleep by then). i also print the calendar from the spreadsheet and put it on the fridge. you can take a look at it and know whats for dinner, pull out the meat or decide that you want to have tomorrows dinner tonight instead (i am pg and don't want certain things certain nights...) but i still don't have to think!! love that part!!

excel is a little hard to get everything organized and to fit on a piece of paper and of course you still have to look at your cookbook for the exact recipe (if its something hard like that) and its still a little manual labor but you don't have to pay for it!!

hey where can we post or look at recipies? is there a certain part of the forum dedicated to that?

hope this helps!!
#34 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I love using Radium Technology's Living Cookbook ( http://www.radiumtechnologies.com/pr...ngcookbook.asp )

that looks cool

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#35 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 PM

Ok, the Living Cookbook seems cool, but I'm confused by the grocery list function. Maybe I"m just challenged, but it seems really hard to read. I'm not sure what each of the sections are. . .

In another direction, check out:
The Six O'Clock Scramble at http://thescramble.com/

Shop N' Cook at http://www.shopncook.com/adgrocerylist.html

There's another one like the scramble (both were featured in Mothering!), but I can't remember the name and can't find a link. I checked them both out and liked the other one better, as I recall. Still, cost. . .

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#36 of 37 Old 04-10-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgarda
Ok, the Living Cookbook seems cool, but I'm confused by the grocery list function. Maybe I"m just challenged, but it seems really hard to read. I'm not sure what each of the sections are. . .
Not quite sure what "sections" you're talking about - I don't use the feature often - but the grocery list can be customized to display by aisle in your grocery store (maybe up to three different stores? I don't remember.) So I bet you could arrange it with sections that make sense to you, if you want.
#37 of 37 Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Hmmm. It seems like a program with a lot of functionality if you have the time to learn it and set it up. Woe that it were so!

In the meantime, I'll just keep with people's postings here and see what I can make happen. I'm doing the pantry challenge, so it's helping a lot.

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page