How do you do meal planning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 02-19-2006, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I gotta get a handle on meal planning. I'm tired of staring into the refrigerator looking for inspiration or realizing too late that I didn't defrost the chicken.

Are there web sites that let you do this (for free)? Inexpensive software? Or do you have another method (e.g., MS Word, Excel, etc.).

Also, I'd love to have a way to integrate my recipes and my food shopping list. Whenever I do manage to plan ahead and prepare something from a recipe, I have to transcribe the recipes to my shopping list which is a pita.

Help!
#2 of 37 Old 02-20-2006, 12:17 AM

I tend to plan my meals around meat and a week might look something like this:

Day 1 I'll roast a chicken with vegetables.
Day 2 leftovers and a salad.
Day 3 from the carcass, I make a chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles.

Day 4 Corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage in the slow cooker.
Day 4 Left overs.
Day 5 Sandwiches.

Day 6 Spaghetti
Day 7 Baked potatoes with cheese and leftover spaghetti sauce.
#3 of 37 Old 02-20-2006, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
moved to Meal Planning forum

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#4 of 37 Old 02-20-2006, 02:11 PM

Someone mentioned this to me a few years ago: write down what you eat for a month. Notice the things you cook that your family likes. Learn to make those dishes really well and serve only them for a while. Rotate through your list for a few weeks, adding a new dish here and there. Notice which dishes use similar veggies or meats or grains and make enough for all of them at once, so you don't have to whip up, for example, one cup rice for something, etc.
#5 of 37 Old 02-22-2006, 12:27 PM

I have preplanned menus and shopping lists already made to go with each menu, a week at a time. That was quick and easy. It takes a lot of time at first to go through all your recipes and type up your menus and shopping lists, but after that you can shop for a week's meals with no planning at all.

Single mom of 2 boys
#6 of 37 Old 02-22-2006, 12:33 PM

My husband and I take turns. He plans the meal on Monday, say, then I plan it for Tuesday. I usually look at the fresh produce still left after he cooks, and plan something to bootstrap off of the leftovers from his meal, plus any fresh produce we need to use up, for the meal I'm doing the next day.

For example, on Monday my husband made spagetti with peppers and mushrooms (we're vegetarian). I checked the fridge on Tuesday morning and saw that we had some feta leftover from a few days ago, the bell peppers and mushrooms. So I decided to make pizza. On my way home from work I stopped at the store and bought mozzarella, and I was set.

We find it works out really well for us. Plus, it's great to get a break every other day.
#7 of 37 Old 02-22-2006, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

RubyWild I am totally impressed with that method. What a fantastic idea.

Karaboo I love the idea of making a giant batch of rice and using that over 2-3 days worth of dishes.

Benji'sMom -- please share! HOW do you do this? This sounds exactly like what I need. If I could design a software program, it would store all my recipes plus a base/standard grocery list, and I could select from my recipes and it would auto-populate the grocery list for me. (Can you tell I used to be an IT project manager? LOL)

NCM I like that idea. Do you plan ahead for the week to know what to buy? That's my big problem. I just go grocery shopping and buy some stuff, and then I realize I don't have enough to cobble together an entire week's worth of recipes.
#8 of 37 Old 02-22-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
Karaboo I love the idea of making a giant batch of rice and using that over 2-3 days worth of dishes.
Yeah, that's a good one. I should do that more often, too. At the end of a 3 day cycle, I could make fried rice with it and the leftover meat.
#9 of 37 Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 PM

I started off planning my meals by week. I'd plan them on Wednesday or Thursday (which ever day we got the grocery store adds in the mail) and go until the next Tuesday. If I didn't get the adds til Thursday, then we'd have spagetti (something I always have on hand!) on Wednesday. At the moment, I'm planning by month because my freezer is FULL and I need to get it empty again, lol.

I also plan around left overs. When I cook chicken, I cook two pieces, one for dh that night, one for the next (I don't like chicken.) If we're having pot roast, I plan that for the next day aswell. If it's something I know we'll only have one plate of left over, I send it with dh to work. I only plan dinners. Breakfast is always cereal for dh and whatever I feel like eating in the morning for me. Dh either eats left overs or sandwiches for lunch and dd and I will have quesadillas (sp?) or left overs.

Mama of three.

#10 of 37 Old 02-24-2006, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I plan six weeks at a time. Every day has a food type attributed to it. So, Monday is roast something. Tuesday is soup from roast and salad. Wednesday is ground meat (so meat balls, meat loaf, goulash, etc). Thursday is breakfast. Friday is pizza or calzones. Saturday is veggie. Sunday we eat at one of our parent's houses. I start with mondays and plan all the mondays for six weeks out, rotating roasts so that we don't have the same one for at least a month...I try for six weeks.

Tuesdays are next and there are endless soups and stews that can be made from the meat/bones of the day before. We rarely have repeats before a few months. If I don't think there'll be leftovers, I'll make veggie something.

Wednesdays...ground meat has endless possibilities, too.

Thursdays. Breakfast is a LITTLE harder not to repeat, but not too bad. You can variate within the categories. FOr instance there are four different kinds of quiche we make, three kinds of pancakes, and three kinds of waffles. You can make all different kinds of eggs, too.

In this manner, we eat different meals for weeks and rarely get bored. Every once in a while on Friday we mix it up, but otherwise, it really works. I basically have the grocery list for each recipe in my head, and write the list every week by looking at the menu (not the recipes). I rarely have to send dh to the store b/c I forgot something. BUT, I've been doing this a while, so perhaps it takes practice.

This has saved us time, money and the horrible "what's for dinner" call/discussion at five pm when dh leaves work. I love meal planning. It makes my life SO MUCH easier.

I also shop and freeze a lot. THat way you don't necessarily have to shop as much for the weeks meals. You buy on sale and stock up, and then you HAVE it already. Saves you even more.

Have fun.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#11 of 37 Old 03-03-2006, 11:40 PM

I am no expert at this, I've only been making attempts at meal planning for a little over a year. I just wanted to chime in to say that I have realized where I was being UNsuccessful in meal planning, was that I was making things too complicated. I used to spend a lot of time perusing cookbooks looking for elaborate things to prepare. This basically exhausted me after a couple of months. Also DH is a finicky vegetarian and I'm an omnivore currently no eating dairy due to breastfeeding baby, so we have "issues."

Anyway, after a LOT of eating out/fast food, I finally decided to keep things simple, and start out slow with a basic 7 day meal plan which I call "if this is Monday, it must be spaghetti" LOL. I am planning to just keep repeating this menu, varying things just a little, until I get the hang of meal planning, shopping, and cooking regularly. (Or until we die of boredom!!) I figure that I can add new dishes or more complicated dishes one by one as time allows.

Day 1: Pasta, salad, and good crusty bread with olive oil for dipping. Red wine.
Day 2: Vegetarian Soup/stew with the rest of the bread and a salad.
Day 3: Fajitas--veggie for both of us, with soy strips for him and chicken for me cooked separately. Tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole.
Day 4: Breakfast for Dinner night. We always have breakfast foods on hand.
Day 5: Stir fry with rice. Good dessert to compensate for all those vegetables.
Day 6: Indian Feast/Carnivore's delight--some indian veggie food for him, something meaty for me!
Day 7: We eat out on Friday nights.

I'm also working on doing more in my crock pot. But that's another story! :-)
#12 of 37 Old 03-04-2006, 01:37 AM

I plan by week. I usually go through my cookbooks (which I'm kinda getting tired of) find some recipes that my family likes and then search online for new recipes. I usually go to vegweb.com. We eat a salad (usually for lunch) everyday so I always have lots of veggies on hand. I shop usually about once a week so if I need some others ingredients I get em them. I like to plan out my meals and then make my list. All ready for shopping.
#13 of 37 Old 03-05-2006, 01:50 PM

Wow. This is a great thread. I'm currently working on getting back into meal planning -- last year I did weekly menus, and used my crockpot alot. This year, well we've been eating a lot of pasta and quesedillas

right now I'm trying to do a monthly plan, mostly b/c I live 45 min from the grocery store and I really want to get organized into shopping only 2 times a month (once at the big grocery store, 45 min away in one direction, and once at the big coop, 45 min away in the other direction).

I really like the system of having a daily category, but not neccessarily the same dinner. Like, monday-pasta, tuesday-mexican, wednesday-roast meat, thursday-soup, friday -breakfast for dinner, saturday - pizza, sunday - leftovers. Then each week you can rotate meals within the category. I find this helpful even when i don't really plan in advance, just b/c it narrows the decision for me.

#14 of 37 Old 03-19-2006, 10:58 PM

I'm subscribing to this thread because if you and I lived together, Periwinkle, we would starve. I have the exact same struggles. Being able to meal plan effectively has got to be one of the intelligences, like music.
#15 of 37 Old 03-19-2006, 11:20 PM

I do a month at a time, and shop for veggies once a week (or shop once a month and cut them up and freeze them if I'm feeling gung-ho about it )

I only make dinners in the crockpot, I am WAY too lazy to prepare things and cook all at once. I usually plan out 12 meals for the month and then double them (so we eat each recipe twice in the month) and that covers 24 days. The other 6 days (usually weekend days) we eat at family member's houses, or eat out cheaply. The crockpot usually makes plenty for lunch the next day for each of us. DH doesn't eat breakfast, and I usually have a hard-boiled egg and a bowl of cereal.

The meal planning isn't that hard. I have 4 groups of 12 recipies each, and a shopping list that goes for each group (they are all in a 3-ring binder) so I just grab out a shopping list and go.

Usually (I've been WAY too tired this pregnancy) I will come home after doing a month's worth of shopping and do all the prep work for each meal before putting everything away so when I get up each morning, I throw everything in the crockpot, turn it on, and ignore it until DH gets home.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#16 of 37 Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 AM

It's great to see the different ways people plan. I love the categories for each day idea.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#17 of 37 Old 03-23-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125
I only make dinners in the crockpot, I am WAY too lazy to prepare things and cook all at once.
Where do you find the recipes you like in the crock pot? I am not crazy about pork and don't eat beef. Most of the recipes I have seen use one or the other...any ideas out there for alternatives? Web sites with good recipes?

Thanks!
#18 of 37 Old 03-24-2006, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I am a member of a Yahoo group called Crockpotters. Not the most NFL recipes (seems everything is made with Lipton soup mix or Campbells cream of mushroom soup, LOL) but the recipes I've tried are delicious. I also do pretty successful substitutions with organic/"whole" foods. See www.crockpotters.com for more recipes.
#19 of 37 Old 03-24-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelAndSimon
Where do you find the recipes you like in the crock pot? I am not crazy about pork and don't eat beef. Most of the recipes I have seen use one or the other...any ideas out there for alternatives? Web sites with good recipes?

Thanks!
Most of my recipes are chicken or veggie recipes. I don't eat pork, and beef is a rarity.

I got alot of my recipies from books at the library, alot I made up, or created from oven recipies. I'm in a yahoo group called Crockpot_Recipes too, although I have to substutite alot to avoid some of the canned stuff. (Although I do use canned tomatoes and cream of mushroom soup alot, just because there really isn't a good substitute for either)

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#20 of 37 Old 04-06-2006, 02:33 PM

What great ideas everyone has. I tend to make a menu for the week and from that menu I will make my shopping list. That way I don't do whole bunch of impulse buying while at the market. And our menu tends to reflect what ever is on sale that week at the stores. Another thing I like to do is piggy back dinners that have common ingredients. For example this week's menu looks like...

M- Spaghetti and meatballs
T- Ziti (made with left over sauce) and bread
W- Italian chicken paninis (with left over bread from the night before)
T- Grilled chicken (same chicken from the previosu night) and veggies over rice
F- Black beans and rice (from the night before)

You get the idea.
#21 of 37 Old 04-06-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update.

You all inspired me to get a grip on our meal planning. I haven't yet been able to get too fancy with it (RubyWild and Desdamona you sound soooo organized!) but I am planning 7 days at a time and grocery shopping off a list. Because there are days when dh will need to work late or I am too pooped to do any cooking, I give myself 2 "outs" each week - in other words, I'll buy food for 5 home-cooked meals and then will buy like 2 nights' worth of Amy's burritos or frozen pizzas, and just do that and a quick salad. For some reason psychologically I like knowing that I have an out so to speak and it makes it more fun to cook on the nights when I do. I know... crazy.

The other thing that has really helped is that I now have a meal planning folder that I put that week's recipes into, and I clip that week's menu to the outside of the folder. It keeps everything together in one place so I'm not scrambling at the last minute digging a recipe out. I assemble all my recipes on Sunday morning and go based on the ingredients to tell me what to buy that day at the store.
#22 of 37 Old 04-06-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
The other thing that has really helped is that I now have a meal planning folder that I put that week's recipes into, and I clip that week's menu to the outside of the folder.
That is a great idea. I use a lot of recipes from the internet and don't print them in advance. One time I had volunteered to make some cakes for a local group, and when I went to start them, my internet access was down! Woops.

I am loving this thread. My "system" is not very systematic. One thing I've learned is to pay attention to how many perishables I'm buying compared to how many non-perishables. I used to come home sometimes with all perishable foods, so for the first few days, we'd be trying to eat everything before it spoiled, and then we'd be out of groceries. Now I make sure I only buy what we can eat before it spoils (*why* did it take me thirty years to figure that out?!) and make sure to eat the recipes that have perishable ingredients before eating the shelf-stable or frozen foods.

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#23 of 37 Old 04-06-2006, 11:34 PM

This is how I do it...

Saturday mornings we go to the library, where I grab a few issues of Vegetarian Times and/or a new cookbook. Next we head to a tea shop, grab a pot, and while DH makes lists of general things to do (he loves lists), I peruse the cookbooks and write down at least 5 meal ideas, complete with shopping lists. Then on Sunday, we go shopping for the week and get everything we need.

Sometimes I'll end up planning meals around a certain ingredient that we have too much of -- fresh broccoli, for instance -- or something that's going to go bad soon if we don't eat it. Or if we go to the farmer's market on Saturday morning, maybe a vegetable will catch my eye and inspire a meal (or meals).

Bizarrely, I end up planning which meals go where around my workout schedule. On yoga days, I'll make something easy (or something that DH can do), because I need to do yoga before dinner. On days I lift weights, I can spend a little more time in the kitchen.

I do try to plan it so that I can re-use ingredients and cut down on prep time... I'll make lentils one night, flavor some for tacos, then use the rest in a shepherd's pie. Mashed potatoes one night, potato scones the next.

We usually end up having one pasta dinner, one soup/stew dinner, one crockpot dinner, one casserole, and at least one ethnic meal. (The stews get frozen and taken out for lunches during the work week... DH will eat the leftovers on everything else.) On Saturdays we usually have leftovers, and on Sundays you can eat whatever you want, whenever you want... just so long as you make it yourself. We do keep frozen Amy's meals in the freezer, just in case we need a quick, no fuss meal.

As long as I can spare 10-15 minutes on a Saturday, I can usually whip out a week's worth of meals pretty quickly.
#24 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
If I could design a software program, it would store all my recipes plus a base/standard grocery list, and I could select from my recipes and it would auto-populate the grocery list for me. (Can you tell I used to be an IT project manager? LOL)
Youe desing it and i will buy it and use it -- sounds totally cool....I am doing an on-line search for meal planning shareware, I will let you know if i find anything.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#25 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972
Youe desing it and i will buy it and use it -- sounds totally cool....I am doing an on-line search for meal planning shareware, I will let you know if i find anything.

Aimee
Mac users can take a look at A Cook's Books. Busy Cooks is a program that works on Mac or PC; it costs 17.99, but a free trial is available. I googled "free recipe management" and got lots of results, but I'm not familiar with any of them. Is anybody currently using a program that they like?

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#26 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 01:19 PM

Is there ANY way you might be willing to share those? Like, if you have them digitally, would you be willing to email them? Or if you have printed versions, would you copy/mail them? I would totally pay you for the cost and your time!!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#27 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christapolis
This is how I do it...

Saturday mornings we go to the library, where I grab a few issues of Vegetarian Times and/or a new cookbook. Next we head to a tea shop, grab a pot, and while DH makes lists of general things to do (he loves lists), I peruse the cookbooks and write down at least 5 meal ideas, complete with shopping lists. Then on Sunday, we go shopping for the week and get everything we need.
OMG can I have your life please?!! This sounds heavenly (and organized to boot). What a nice way to do meal planning!
#28 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972

Aimee
I am seriously thinking this could be my new at-home business lol!

Let me know what you find re: meal planning software. I would spend $30 on a meal planning program no problem to get this under control.

Off to fantasize about an auto-generated grocery shopping lists.
#29 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelDust
Mac users can take a look at A Cook's Books. Busy Cooks is a program that works on Mac or PC; it costs 17.99, but a free trial is available. I googled "free recipe management" and got lots of results, but I'm not familiar with any of them. Is anybody currently using a program that they like?
And just like that my hopes of being a frazzled-mom-turned-software-genius-millionaire dashed.

(but I love the Busy Cooks concept. could use a zippier interface though )
#30 of 37 Old 04-07-2006, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I just tried out Busy Cooks for free.

It's terrible. It doesn't do half the things my dream software would do. No grocery list generation, and weird mandatory folders in which to store/organize your recipes, such as "Meat from the Oven", and "Meat from the Grill". Ewwwww. Where's "Meat from a Can" when you need it.

So I retain hope after all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page