How do you burn boiled eggs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-25-2006, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I decided to make dh some eggs for egg salid sadwich for lunch tomarrow and heres what you do..First put 6 eggs in a pot second add water and third sit down on your computer and log on to mdc.
Thought you all would get some kicks. I heard pop pop pop sure enough half my eggs we're on my ceiling....ha ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 03-25-2006, 12:39 AM

woops!
#3 of 31 Old 03-29-2006, 07:38 PM

Ohhhhhhh and the smell!!

Ooh, ooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell?
Ooh, ooh that smell
The smell of burnt eggs surrounds you.

Anything citrus-y helps cut the odor. If you need any more eggs I've got 3½doz.
#4 of 31 Old 03-30-2006, 06:13 PM

Man, thats funny. Ive done that before by letting the water boil out of the pot., then on top of that my pot caught on fire. LOL. It was so much smoke we could not stay in the house. We had to leave for the day and let the windows air out the house.
#5 of 31 Old 03-30-2006, 10:57 PM

: how do you make hard boiled eggs?

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#6 of 31 Old 03-31-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose
Really??? Here's the way I make them --

Cover how ever many eggs you want (or in my case, however many fit in the bottom of the pot in a single layer) w/ about an inch of water. Bring to a boil. Take the pot off the heat and let them "rest" for about 10-15min. Rinse under cold water until you can comfortably handle them and that's it. Wishing you much hard cooked (boiled) egg success!!

PS - I hope you weren't being sarcastic by asking how to boil an egg because I have been debating on whether or not to post a reply since I can't decided if you are serious or not. How's that for over-thinking a situation!??
#7 of 31 Old 04-04-2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRISSY
I decided to make dh some eggs for egg salid sadwich for lunch tomarrow and heres what you do..First put 6 eggs in a pot second add water and third sit down on your computer and log on to mdc.
Thought you all would get some kicks. I heard pop pop pop sure enough half my eggs we're on my ceiling....ha ha ha
Holy crap, I did exactly that last Friday. The worst is that I was sitting at the computer going "wow, the neighbors must've burned the crap out of something."

*DUH*

The smell was seriously the most disgusting thing ever. They didn't pop, but the shell was black and nasty. Seriously GROSS.
#8 of 31 Old 04-04-2006, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One time I was living on the 2nd floor of a bldg with 2 floors and a basement apt. I woke in the middle of the night and smelled smoke really strongly. I looked all over the house and found nothing suspicious. I went back to bed and tried to talk myself into believing that everything was fine. 5 min. later dh woke up and we both looked all around again. He opened the door and it was much stronger on the porch. so we called the landlady, who lived on fl. 1. A while later she called to tell us that the tenant in the basement had fallen asleep (probably high )with a pot of eggs on the stove. It was a charred mess. His apt. must have been soooo much smokier.

and he didn't even have a computer . . .
#9 of 31 Old 04-04-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdamona
Really??? Here's the way I make them --

Cover how ever many eggs you want (or in my case, however many fit in the bottom of the pot in a single layer) w/ about an inch of water. Bring to a boil. Take the pot off the heat and let them "rest" for about 10-15min. Rinse under cold water until you can comfortably handle them and that's it. Wishing you much hard cooked (boiled) egg success!!

PS - I hope you weren't being sarcastic by asking how to boil an egg because I have been debating on whether or not to post a reply since I can't decided if you are serious or not. How's that for over-thinking a situation!??

No, I was serious, the one time I tried (about 2 years ago) they came out half raw and it made me want to throw up as I was preggo with my daughter... boy were those eggs interesting...

Thank you for telling me, I've got some eggs that I'll try it on later today.

#10 of 31 Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 PM

OK, so I tried it, and when it got to a boil I took them off and followed the rst instructions. When I went to have an egg though it was like they were only 1/2 done... Should I be leaving them at a boil for a few minutes to make sure? And about how many minutes?

#11 of 31 Old 04-26-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRISSY
How do you burn boiled eggs
Well, I can't tell you for certain but I've done it numerous times. They've never ended up on the ceiling though, just stuck to the bottom of the pot, blackened, no water to be seen.
#12 of 31 Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 PM

Okay, I did this a few weeks ago too..lol

And to whoever said bring to a boil then take them off the flame...ICK!! Thjat would only make half cooked eggs!! I would never ever eat that, let alone serve to anyone else...EWWW!!!

I put the eggs and water on the burner, then set a timer (now, since burning them that once..lol) for 25 minutes... They boil for a bit. I then check them (remember, pull an egg out, rinse it so you can touch it, and spin it on it's side. If it spins, it's done, if it wobbles, it's not).

I usually cook them for 25-30 minutes this is from the second of putting them on the burner, NOT from the time they boil). Any less and I've found they just don't cook all the way through.
#13 of 31 Old 04-26-2006, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had such a difficult time getting boiled eggs right, not too done with the green around the yolk, not half raw.

So I consulted my Alton Brown cookbook, and sure enough, he has a chapter on boiling, with a section on eggs. I tried his suggestiong to steam them rather than boil them, and IT WORKS!!! He also gives instructions for baking eggs, but I didn't want to do that.

I don't have a steamer the way he describes, so I used my bamboo steamer over a large pot of boiling water. It takes 25-30 minutes because the eggs are a few inches above the water, but I think there's more of a time cushion between nicely done enough and green yolk syndrome.

The first time you try this, put in extra eggs for testing the doneness at different times. When I did this the first time, I tested an egg at the 12 minutes Alton suggests and found a barely soft-cooked egg--yuck.

When they've been steamed for long enough, I remove them with a pair of tongs into a bowl to cool with water just like when boiling them.

Hope this helps anyone else who has a difficult time with these.

"What will you do once you know?"
#14 of 31 Old 04-27-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBirthmomStepmom
And to whoever said bring to a boil then take them off the flame...ICK!! Thjat would only make half cooked eggs!! I would never ever eat that, let alone serve to anyone else...EWWW!!!
That would be me... And I have never had any problems with my way of making eggs. I just hate to have the green rimmed over cooked hard boiled eggs. And just like my fried eggs, I like them a bit softer. But ymmv.

I do let the water come to a FULL, rolling, rapid boil before taking off the heat and covering the pot to let the eggs "rest". And now that I think about it, I probably let them stay in the pot with the hot water longer than 15m... Sometimes it's until I get around to it with 4 kids running around!

My mom just called to tell me that Martha Stewart makes her eggs the same way... I don't know if I want to or am : that she's knocking off my style. Haha!!
#15 of 31 Old 04-27-2006, 04:47 PM

I never get the green either... It's gross...lol But I don't have to undercook my eggs to achieve that *shrugs*
#16 of 31 Old 04-28-2006, 12:49 AM

I tink i took it off as soon as it hit boil. I didn't let it sit. That musta been it. -le sigh- S'ok, I got a fresh dozen of eggs today to try when I get home from work (3am cooking escapades : )

#17 of 31 Old 05-04-2006, 10:30 AM

I follow a slightly different recipe (got it years ago from my Better Homes/Gardens cookbook) and I've NEVER had green yolks.

Here's the instructions:

Put 6 eggs in saucepan.
Add enough COLD (tap water) water to cover eggs.
Bring to boil over high heat.
Reduce heat so water is just below simmering; cover.
Cook 15 minutes.
Drain.
Rinse under cold water.

Also, here's a handy tip I do every time I hard boil eggs.

Add a glug or 2 of white distilled vinegar to the cold water right before cooking. (I think it's about 2T, give or take a wee bit.)

Then add about 1T of your favorite food coloring (use more if you want red or yellow eggs).

Voila. the eggs will be dyed for you and you won't mix up raw eggs with cooked. Also, if you're one of those lucky people who gets recruited to cook tons of eggs for church Easter parties, then you've got an easy way to have colored eggs - one color per batch. The color doesn't wash off when rinsing, either.

The vinegar is the trick - it softens the shell just a bit to allow the dye to penetrate.

You can cook about a dozen eggs at a time. I've done more, but you run the risk of cracking the shell.

HTH.

Love,
BettyAnn
#18 of 31 Old 05-12-2006, 01:13 PM

I bring the eggs to a full boil, cover the pot and then turn off the heat. I let them rest and seriously in 10 minutes they will be the perfect hard boiled egg.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
#19 of 31 Old 05-12-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massaginmommy
I bring the eggs to a full boil, cover the pot and then turn off the heat. I let them rest and seriously in 10 minutes they will be the perfect hard boiled egg.
Is this with a gas or electric stove?
Thats the way I used to do it when I had an electric but I tried it in our new house (gas) and it didnt cook them enough. So now I let them boil for six or seven minutes and then turn the burner off.

I have found a way to avoid the yolk turning greenish, dump the eggs in a colander and put under cold running water.
#20 of 31 Old 05-12-2006, 02:08 PM

I always make eggs by bringing them to a full boil, putting a lid on the pot, and just letting them sit for 10-15 minutes. They're always perfect! I'm not sure why other people seem to have trouble with this method...?

Altitude? Gas vs. electric? (FWIW, we have an electric stove)

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, here's an interesting article that I read a few month's ago in one of DH's magazines about how to properly cook an egg from a viewpoint of molecular gastronomy.

http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-0...-for-eggheads/
#21 of 31 Old 05-15-2006, 04:49 PM

I have a gas stove. But I used to have electric and I did them the same then.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
#22 of 31 Old 05-15-2006, 05:10 PM

Crissy thats hilarious . If it makes you feel any better I've charred SCRAMBLED eggs, and I was in the kitchen the whole time hehee . Thanks for giving me a good laugh, you made my day!
#23 of 31 Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 AM

Wow, I have never heard of just bringing the water to a boil and then letting the eggs sit. Will have to try.

We boil the eggs for 12-13 min, then run under cold water. I thought it was to make the shell come off easily, but if it keeps them from getting green, so much the better.
#24 of 31 Old 05-18-2006, 12:13 PM

I've read about a zillion cookbooks on the matter, and of the folks who use the "bring to a boil" method, everyone has a different time that they let them sit.

On a gas stove, the majority of cookbooks I've seen use cold water 1" over the eggs, bring to a full rolling boil, cover and let sit 15-20 minutes (I use 18 b/c that's what Betty Crocker tells me --> Gift from Grandma for my wedding, only use it for random things like egg boiling.... )

The only time I've gotten raw eggs is if I'm using XL eggs, in which case I generally wait 20-22 full minutes. I set a timer, so I'm not tempted to take off early in my hurry for egg salad

Then, rinse in cold water.... not sure about the green tinge, but by doing them this way, have never gotten it.

Good luck to you egg boilers...
Erin
#25 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 03:46 AM

bring eggs to a rolling boil..then remove from fire and cover with lid for 18-20 minutes.
#26 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 03:50 AM

I did the same thing!!! DH turned the stove off asking why I was boiling eggs without water...didn't I knnow it wouldn't work?

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#27 of 31 Old 05-28-2006, 01:09 PM

I've made them with the 'boil, cover, and sit' method for years with various stoves (all electric though I think) and it's always worked. The electric stove does stay warm after you turn off the heat, maybe that's why? I've *never* had runny eggs. I have noticed that if you take them off the second they boil, the yolks will be cooked, but tender (which is how I like them.) If you leave them boiling for a while (which, yes, often happens when I'm on MDC, so I can relate ) they cook *hard* and aren't as good, IMO. They also tend to crack and leak -- and you get little bits of poached egg instead.

I always thought the green rim was caused by refrigerating them? I never notice it just after cooking. But maybe that's just because, like a PP conjectured, it's because I always rinse with cold water. I'll have to let them cool naturally and see what happens.

Oh, and a tip -- use "old" eggs. That is, eggs that have been sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks (assuming they were fresh when you got them.) There is some protein or something that attaches the white part to the shell, and that breaks down over time, making them easy to peel.
#28 of 31 Old 06-11-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose
Cover eggs in a pot with cold water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Then, take off the burner, put lid on. Let sit for 6 minutes. Remove from pot and plunge eggs into cold cold water (I put in ice cubes.) Change out water until water stays cool. Then put eggs in fridge, or use right away.

This makes perfect eggs everytime. I found the basic recipe for it in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone....and I've posted it before.

mv
#29 of 31 Old 06-16-2006, 11:16 PM

We had so much trouble figuring out how to make hard boiled eggs!
What finally worked was putting the eggs in the pot, adding water (enough to cover the eggs a bit), then putting to a boil. When it's at a rapid boil, we cook them for 10 minutes. Then we immediately run cool water into the boiling water, until all the water is cool. Then we let them sit or refridgerate right away if they won't be used then.
I will admit, we always put an extra egg or two into the pot, because we always lose one to cracking (or taste testing! ).

I must say, I LOVE happyfrog's idea to put food coloring and vinegar in the water while boiling!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#30 of 31 Old 06-17-2006, 12:09 AM

You can bake eggs in the oven or toaster oven. I read about this in Discover Magazine and tried it. It worked great! 158 degrees for about an hour will give you an egg that has "a moistly set yolk and a very tender white." You don't have to be picky about the time -- just make sure it's enough for the inside of the egg to get up to temperature. The scientist in the article said you can even leave them to bake overnight! (Don't know why you would though, unless you are *seriously* MDC addicted! ) Salmonella can't survive more than a few minutes above 140 degrees, so this method of cooking is safe, even though your yolk will still look moist. Plus, since the eggs aren't bouncing around in boiling water, they tend not to crack during cooking -- a plus if you are making some to store in the fridge for snacks. If you want a very firm yolk, just increase the temperature a little. Just a few degrees makes a difference, so maybe 165? My oven doesn't have temperature calibrations below 200 degrees F, but I just guesstimate it. It's easly to guess about where 150 degrees would be, so I set it a little above that.

Here's a link to the article. I found it really interesting -- it gets into the science of what happens to an egg when it cooks, and why eggwhites get rubbery when cooked above 184 degrees. http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-0...-for-eggheads/

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page