Anyone up for an April Pantry Challenge? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 04-26-2006, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtain
Yeah, pre-kid days that was an excellent way to clean out the jell-o cabinet AND the liquor cabinet, AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!
What do you mean, "pre-kids"?????

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#92 of 110 Old 04-26-2006, 05:41 PM

hehehehehehehehehehehe

If I did that now, 2 jello shots and mommy would be passed out on the couch and the kids would have the run of the house!!! Not a good idea.

OT-Melina, I love your sig!!!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#93 of 110 Old 04-26-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtain
OT-Melina, I love your sig!!!
Thanks! It all comes from a fabulous series of courses through Landmark Education. PM me some time if you want more details.

In the meantime - what's your possibility?

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#94 of 110 Old 04-26-2006, 06:38 PM

I have like a pound and a half of granola- which is I don't know how old- and flour and moleasses and sunflower seeds. Can I make granola bars? Does granola go bad?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#95 of 110 Old 04-26-2006, 06:46 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...84#post4994684

Some exxxxxxxxcellent recipes there!

#96 of 110 Old 04-26-2006, 07:59 PM

Did you guys know that April is "Use What You Have Month"? Maybe that has already been mentioned, but I thought it was cool, relating to our challenge.

Dinner tonight is white bean soup, which my family is not real crazy about, but I enjoy and, since I make dinner, it's what we're eating. I made bread with the rest of my whole wheat flour and bread flour (actually had to go buy yeast; what I had was waaaay out of date, but since it's fridge and not pantry, it's not technically cheating), and we'll have roasted asparagus and fresh pineapple. I am ready to start buying pantry supplies again!

Speaking of jello shots, I did find something I needed to use in the pantry--cosmopolitan mix (with no corn syrup!) and vodka!! The baby went to sleep at 5:00, after having no nap, so I figure I'm safe for one or two drinks before he wakes up again. Woohoo, let's bring back cocktail hour!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#97 of 110 Old 04-28-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e
They love the cookies.
Goodie! I cook for picky eaters and that is a PITA... I can't imagine the creativity it takes to cooks for dc's with a whole bunch of allergies.

You are right that this recipe would make great granola bars... Hmmm .... Off to case my pantry and see what I can throw together. Still have raisins, a handful of walnuts, maybe a sprinkling of chocolate chips? Looks like I will be baking today.
#98 of 110 Old 04-28-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom
Speaking of jello shots, I did find something I needed to use in the pantry--cosmopolitan mix (with no corn syrup!) and vodka!! The baby went to sleep at 5:00, after having no nap, so I figure I'm safe for one or two drinks before he wakes up again. Woohoo, let's bring back cocktail hour!
Ummmm, where's my invitation to cocktail hour? I will bring the pretty glasses, martini shaker, the Cointreau, limes and cranberry juice (FORGET the MIX!!) and I will make the very best cosmos you've ever had!!

Did I mention I was not only the daughter of the bartender but a bartender myself in a former life??
#99 of 110 Old 04-28-2006, 12:28 PM

I'll just take the vodka, thanks! (Or add some club soda to the mix and I'll make you a super delicious Cold Fuzzy!)

On that note, DH and I went to a pub (gasp!) with some friends for his birthday recently. I had 2 1/2 bottles of cider and was so unbelievably f'd up! I haven't had an alcoholic drink in ... ummmmm... 4 years?? Plus, I've lost a ton of weight recently. Can you say LIGHT WEIGHT?

#100 of 110 Old 04-28-2006, 01:48 PM

So anyone still have mass quantities of stuff in their cupboards? I think we are going to have to start a May Pantry/Household challange. I could go for at least another month I think.

~laura
#101 of 110 Old 04-28-2006, 02:15 PM

I can actually see the bottom of our basement chest freezer! Yippee! The pantry is a little sparse, but I could keep going a while longer. Where did all this pasta come from?
#102 of 110 Old 04-28-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246
So anyone still have mass quantities of stuff in their cupboards? I think we are going to have to start a May Pantry/Household challange. I could go for at least another month I think.
Absolutely! I went to the grocery store for the first time this month and spent only $55. That included diapers and wipes, about 5 lbs of cheese (we are OUT) and toothpaste, among other things. Everything else was dairy or fruit/veg except for BBQ sauce (we're out and it was only $0.68 for the bottle!) and some relish (which I've been out of for like 6 months and finally just WANTED some!!).

I'm pretty proud. . .

#103 of 110 Old 04-28-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysmom
Where did all this pasta come from?
Probably from the 3/$2 sale that flunked me out of the pantry challenge this month.
#104 of 110 Old 04-30-2006, 11:22 AM

Someone asked for a tomato soup recipe way back, but I thought I would post this anyways...This was my favorite meal growing up as a kid.

American Chop Suey

Take some ground beef and cook it in a big frying pan. Drain (I usually poor water over the meat to get all the extra grease off). Then put it back into the frying pan. Cut up some peppers (Green, Yellow, or Red) and add to meat along with a can of tomato soup and a can of water. Cook until peppers are soft or crunchy (whatever you perfer) Pour over plain pasta
#105 of 110 Old 04-30-2006, 11:53 AM

Courtenay_e is probably the best persont to answer this ( ), but I could use a little feedback. . .

I made a LARGE amount of chicken stock yesterday. I had previously roasted two chickens and then froze the carcasses until I was ready to use. I also had in the freezer some chicken innards I froze for this purpose, as well as a bag of the liquid left over from one of the chickens (I crockpotted it), so I know it's really rich. Anyway, I thawed everything out and then made stock. Right now it's in the fridge and I haven't yet pulled all the bones and floppy celery, etc. out. Normally, I would pick through all that and save the meat to add back for soup. However, since any meat left has been roasted, then frozen, then thawed, then boiled and simmered for a day, I'm thinking it's pretty devoid of nutrients at this point. I'm inclined to just throw it all out, especially since I won't be making soup any time soon. This broth is going in the freezer and I'll use it for whatever.

What do you think? Keep the meat, or not?

#106 of 110 Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgarda
Courtenay_e is probably the best persont to answer this ( ), but I could use a little feedback. . .

I made a LARGE amount of chicken stock yesterday. I had previously roasted two chickens and then froze the carcasses until I was ready to use. I also had in the freezer some chicken innards I froze for this purpose, as well as a bag of the liquid left over from one of the chickens (I crockpotted it), so I know it's really rich. Anyway, I thawed everything out and then made stock. Right now it's in the fridge and I haven't yet pulled all the bones and floppy celery, etc. out. Normally, I would pick through all that and save the meat to add back for soup. However, since any meat left has been roasted, then frozen, then thawed, then boiled and simmered for a day, I'm thinking it's pretty devoid of nutrients at this point. I'm inclined to just throw it all out, especially since I won't be making soup any time soon. This broth is going in the freezer and I'll use it for whatever.

What do you think? Keep the meat, or not?
Well, I dont think I would. It's been roasted, now boiled for copious amounts of time in the crockpot? Besides lack of nutrition, I doubt it has much flavor left. Or texture. I'd say toss it...it's served its purpose!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#107 of 110 Old 05-01-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e
Besides lack of nutrition, I doubt it has much flavor left. Or texture. I'd say toss it...it's served its purpose!
That's what I'm thinking. I scraped off a bunch of fat this morning and am letting it come back to room temp so I can pull all the solids out. Thanks!

FYI TIP: I always use my pasta pot to make soup stock. That way, I can just lift the strainer part out and have all the meat/bones/veges/whatever to toss or go through while the broth stays in the pot. Much easier than having to pour the broth through a strainer or try to make sure I've scooped out all the bones individually!

#108 of 110 Old 05-02-2006, 06:38 PM

ALRIGHT women, I need to continue this challange. Who ever is with me can meet me- same forum- May challange.

~laura
#109 of 110 Old 05-02-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to bow out for May. I made big re-stock shopping trip already this week. (Going over 2 weeks without salsa was my personal biggest challenge! ) But thank you all for going on the journey with me in April! It was a big success for me. I still have too much of some things in my cupboards, but now I'm more inspired to use them!

Thanks again to you all! This must be the longest thread I've ever started.

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#110 of 110 Old 05-03-2006, 01:54 PM

We started a May challenge if'n y'all wanna join!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...27#post5054527

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page