Picnic Foods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-18-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For this being our first year we get to celebrate Mothers Day DH said I can pick anything to do. I really thought that Sunday it would be fun if after church we loaded up the car and went to a nearby park about 15 minutes away. It has a walking trail to the top of a hill with a scenic view, and play ground equipment, picnic benches and everything else. Also its kinda in the middle of nowhere so there really wont be hardly if anyone else there. It was a historic site they made into a park. What kind of foods are great for picnics? My grandma used to make a cold chicken recipe that was really but I lost it. Any food tips or advice is great also. I am going to bring some plastic plates and stuff so that I can wash them when we get home.
#2 of 3 Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 PM

Dh and I used to go to Boston Market and get some tortalini (sp) salad and some other stuff and head out to picnic... but of course you want something not fast food

Just remembering the good times we used to have picnicing before we moved!!:

Lets see... any type of sandwich (I guess it depends on when you will eat... If you want to drive 15 minutes, eat immediately, then have fun, I think you could take anything. But if you have a long drive or you want to hike first, you will want to keep that in mind and not bring egg salad on a hot day!)

Fruit- grapes are good. But any type of fruit does well

Pasta salad is also a favorite of mine to take out to picnics

A good drink like ice tea or lemonade ... very picnic-y

Ah! I love picnics! You've just made me want to find a new spot. I miss our old picnic place!
#3 of 3 Old 04-19-2006, 12:42 AM

I love this recipe, but it makes a great cold chicken that works well for picnics. Keep in mind that it is messy, so bring wipes! This is a hand-me-down recipe, so I just mix to taste - sorry not to have specific measurements!

Korean Chicken

Chicken drumsticks
Soy sauce
Honey
Minced garlic (bottled works fine!)
Salt
Pepper
Lightly beaten egg (optional)
Butter (optional)

In a large baking dish, mix soy sauce, honey and garlic to taste (you choose how salty, sweet and garlicky you want it!). You will need to whisk fairly vigorously to incorporate all the honey. Add egg if using.

Remove skin from drumsticks and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange in baking dish with sauce. Turn to coat. Dot with butter.

Bake 350 degrees 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate.

Remove drumsticks only (no sauce) and put in a tupperware. They are soooooo yummy, hot or cold. The sauce is good over rice, so it you eat it hot, keep it all together.

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page