~laura
and planning to eat it again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's May 11th, how is everyone doing on their pantry challenge?
I'm ok, I bought some pre-made food at the grocery store yesterday because I've been sick and trying to get declutter my house anyway. It was way less expensive than getting chinese takeout. The past week I have:

baked bread
made granola bars, muffins and brownies
used up alot of canned soup
used some beans up

I need to:
Do more baking (I have tons of baking supplies stashed away)
Make tapioca (where did those boxes come from?)
Use up some dried beans
Have tea several times a day!!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Used up the last of the eggs yesterday. All out of white flour (which I don't use a lot of, but which helps with lighter bread products). I made the applesauce muffins above, but didn't have enough applesauce, so added in some zuke and carrot. I don't have enough raisins either, and had planned to do dates, but I totally forgot. The end result was that they're sort of dry and not very sweet. Oops.

In the meantime, I have to soak some black beans and bag up the blackberries I froze.

Still, I'm doing really good shopping at home and have been fixing food according to what we have and shopping only to get what we truly need. I keep trying to behave as if I don't have the luxury of a grocery store 5 min away. It helps.

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

So I promised I'd make cookies today. I thought carrot/raisin/oatmeal cookies sounded great and would use only on-hand items, including a few things I really do need to use up. Unfortunately, as I went to add the oatmeal, I discovered that I needed 1 1/4 cups and only had 1/2 cup left (thanks to the challenge!). What to use? What to use?

And the award goes to. . .

1/2 cup of baby rice cereal + 1/4 cup of baby whole grain cereal + a splash of milk.

They're in the oven now. I have no idea what they'll cook up like, but the dough sure tasted good!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:00 PM

My pantry still overfloweth.

However, I made some muffins this weekend - cherries and chocolate chips (both from the freezer) in mini-muffins tins. And banana (freezer) and walnut (pantry) muffins.

I've got a bunch of swiss chard from our CSA - I may make a soup with some white beans and stock from the pantry.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
MMMMMmmmmmm. Muffins. Now that sounds good. Maybe instead of cleaning toilets today, I'll make muffins...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

User Tag List